Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon d'Or 2014 - can anyone stop Cristiano Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Imagine any other player than Messi had this year .

Around 30 league goals . After missing 2 months through injury .

Gets to the World Cup final nearly wins . Scores a good few goals ( one sublime ) along the way .

Starts this season with 10 goals and 10 assists .

I feel sorry for him , he is a victim of his own standards .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What two months did Messi miss this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Definitely a solid pick and deserves his mention but one would be crazy to not give Suarez the number three spot. All the bullsh*t aside, at times he looked better than Ronaldo and Messi.

Ah here, where would you be going with a sentence like that?? Are ya mad like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Koke should be in there, better than the vast majority of players in La Liga.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

ASOT wrote: »
    Koke should be in there, better than the vast majority of players in La Liga.

Turan on par with him also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Suarez didn't play in Europe and bit someone during the world cup. No shock he wasn't included.

py2006 wrote: »
    Ah here, where would you be going with a sentence like that?? Are ya mad like?

To be fair at times he was performing right up there with them, but it was mainly in his purple patch from around November to Feb/March. Over the 13/14 season he is a shoe in for third, but it's far more debatable across the 2014 calendar year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Ballon d'Or is for the best player on the planet for the past 12 months. That player has been Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Billy86 wrote: »
    What two months did Messi miss this year?

None. Its just the Barca fans trying to make excuses and a case for Messi.

"Messi was injured last season so not on top form" "Penaldo only scores penalties" being amongst the other favourite excuses when Messi played more leagues games than Ronaldo who was out himself with injuries.

Its Ronaldo hands down, everyone else was inferior to him and saying otherwise is codding yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Don't think there's any debate here, Ronaldo sets the standard for the best in the game and nobody is close the past year

If he does win his second in a row it's funny how Messi not winning anymore kind of coincided with Xavi's decline and Pep leaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Maybe the award shouldn't be just about goals, but we aren't talking normal goal figures here. Used to be an average goal ratio of 1 goal every two games was excellent for a striker, Ronaldo is currently averaging 2 goals per game!

I'm sorry, but when a player is ripping up established footballing conventions like that you simply cannot pass it off as just scoring goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Lol Suarez, I'm surprised Henderson isn't being bloody mentioned at this rate.

Was Ronaldo now as good as messi 3 years ago? That's a debate.

Whom is currently the best player in the world is clearly the Portuguese man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Don't know why I'm getting involved in this thread but here it goes,

In regards to Suarez, he was the 3rd best player last year by a mile. Absolutely quality. Understandable why he wasn't shortlisted tho due to his antics.

Ronaldo deserves the award, had an unreal 2 seasons, and deserves to get his 2 in a row.

Messi will still go down has one of the greatest in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Lol Suarez, I'm surprised Henderson isn't being bloody mentioned at this rate.

yup, they're definitely in the same category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

I don't think Ronaldo is even the best player at Madrid, but he gets the goals so he will almost certainly win. Bale has had a phenomenal year and from watching the matches his general play is better, Ronaldo can - and does over 90 minutes - have a mediocre enough game, and yet still scores two goals.

In terms of best footballer in the world as opposed to best goalscorer I would have to put Bale, Ibrahimovic and Messi ahead of Ronaldo, they're just better footballers for me, more skillful and they can beat players regularly, which for me Ronaldo just does not do enough. But Ronaldo gets the goals, and in fairness, his goalscoring this season is getting ridiculous so he will probably win.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Rezident wrote: »
    I don't think Ronaldo is even the best player at Madrid, but he gets the goals so he will almost certainly win. Bale has had a phenomenal year and from watching the matches his general play is better, Ronaldo can - and does over 90 minutes - have a mediocre enough game, and yet still scores two goals.

In terms of best footballer in the world as opposed to best goalscorer I would have to put Bale, Ibrahimovic and Messi ahead of Ronaldo, they're just better footballers for me, more skillful and they can beat players regularly, which for me Ronaldo just does not do enough. But Ronaldo gets the goals, and in fairness, his goalscoring this season is getting ridiculous so he will probably win.

Ronaldo used to beat players for fun. He would have them dizzy. He's just matured with age doesn't beat a man unless he has to he plays it and gets himself into a goal scoring position hence why he's scored so many goals last few years

nicholas-cage-laughing.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I know football is all about opinion and all that but there's times when you are just plain wrong... This is one of those times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ronaldo is a cod Bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Liam O wrote: »
    Ronaldo is a cod Bill.

A nothing player, puffball.

Bale now? :pac:

A few days ago someone was claiming people who watch all of Madrid's games were saying Di Maria and Modric had been better... and now this. It just gets better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Bale now? :pac:

A few days ago someone was claiming people who watch all of Madrid's games were saying Di Maria and Modric had been better... and now this. It just gets better and better.

Some people value overall contribution more than being on the everything when you're being on the end of everything is so heavily dependent on those players. We saw in the WC what happens to Ronaldo without a great supporting cast. It's not such a surprise to me that Real fans thought others played better.

And we have never seen Messi without a great supporting cast, one of these casts possibly the greatest casts of all time...

Some people value overall contribution more than being on the everything when you're being on the end of everything is so heavily dependent on those players. We saw in the WC what happens to Ronaldo without a great supporting cast. It's not such a surprise to me that Real fans thought others played better.

You saw in the WC what Ronaldo does with tendinitis. This desperate claim that Ronaldo offers nothing outside of goals is nothing short of laughable by the way, about as much as trying to claim Messi was "more injured" than Ronaldo at said WC. It's like claiming Xavi was only ever good at 5 yard sideways passes.

And we have never seen Messi without a great supporting class, one of this classes possibly the greatest class of all time...

fXTyZeO.gif

• Advertisement

You saw in the WC what Ronaldo does with tendinitis. This desperate claim that Ronaldo offers nothing outside of goals is nothing short of laughable by the way, about as much as trying to claim Messi was "more injured" than Ronaldo at said WC. It's like claiming Xavi was only ever good at 5 yard sideways passes.

He was moving fine for a man suffering with tendinitis at that moment in time. The power, the pace and the athleticism were all there. Incredible really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't see Bale drag Wales to the world cup. Funny that. Guess he is rubbish without a great supporting cast as well. Same as that Ibrahimovic guy, he couldn't even get to the world cup either.

I didn't see Bale drag Wales to the world cup. Funny that. Guess he is rubbish without a great supporting cast as well. Same as that Ibrahimovic guy, he couldn't even get to the world cup either.

Okay guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

Just the two. Both bic's, a blue and a red. One for writing and the other for correcting errors.

• Advertisement

Penaldo has 5 penos from his 16 league goals

His "general play" minus Xavi and Iniesta and Busquets etc isn't as good as Messi either

Also now that Messi plays as a 10 goals don't count anymore, and the Balon D'or is just a glorified who can score the most competition now that Messi doesn't win it anymore

It's a travesty Bill, he's a prod the ball into the net player, not a great ball player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ronaldo is a cod Bill.

He's a greasy haired clown Bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Wales are a tinpot nation and Portugal have 2 champions league teams in pot 1 every year.

Ronaldo can count himself lucky Moutinho had the vision to play those passes against Sweden otherwise they'd be out.
    But of course Ronaldo "carried" Portugal.

darced wrote: »

When you have Ronaldo/Bale/Benzema running at you there's bound to be penalties

He was moving fine for a man suffering with tendinitis at that moment in time. The power, the pace and the athleticism were all there. Incredible really.

You seriously need to watch those matches again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wales are a tinpot nation and Portugal have 2 champions league teams in pot 1 every year.

Ronaldo can count himself lucky Moutinho had the vision to play those passes against Sweden otherwise they'd be out.
    But of course Ronaldo "carried" Portugal.

England have had 4 teams in Pot 1 of the CL in recent times. How is that relevant?

Right, so more credit should be given to the person who assists rather than scores now? I'll alert the press that that Pelé guy was lucky too. That Messi fella has scored a few more goals than I'd like too but I believe it or not there are no Argentinian teams even in the Champions League never mind pot 1! So that's probably ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TheNap wrote: »
    Imagine any other player than Messi had this year .

Around 30 league goals . After missing 2 months through injury .

Gets to the World Cup final nearly wins . Scores a good few goals ( one sublime ) along the way .

Starts this season with 10 goals and 10 assists .

I feel sorry for him , he is a victim of his own standards .

:confused:

Messi is a god. Ronaldo is just a god in slightly superior form, that's all.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

Messi is a god. Ronaldo is just a god in slightly superior form, that's all.

Ronaldo hasn't touched the heights Messi has in terms of individual performance. You can argue he's performing to a higher standard now, but he will never get close to the best we've seen from Messi. Never!

Let us not forget that.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo hasn't touched the heights Messi has in terms of individual performance. You can argue he's performing to a higher standard now, but he will never get close to the best we've seen from Messi. Never!

Let us not forget that.

Ronaldo has the highest individual tally in a UCL season ever of any player. He has a higher goals to game ratio in La Liga than Messi. He has made La Liga history starting with 16 goals in 8 apps this season.

He is the only player to score more than 50 goals in four consecutive La Liga seasons. Joint all time hat trick scorer in La liga, soon he will hold the all time record.

Hasn't touched the heights Messi has in terms of individual performance me arse.

Let us not forget that.

I think he's been at least close.

But that doesn't matter anyway. Right now he's better and therefore should win this award.

Ronaldo has the highest individual tally in a UCL season ever of any player. He has a higher goals to game ratio in La Liga than Messi. He has made La Liga history starting with 16 goals in 8 apps this season.

He is the only player to score more than 50 goals in four consecutive La Liga seasons. Joint all time hat trick scorer in La liga, soon he will hold the all time record.

Hasn't touched the heights Messi has in terms of individual performance me arse.

Yes, he has broken records as all phenomenal players do. Not going to rattle off the many goal records Messi holds too (with a much more efficient goals to shots ratio i might add).

He still can't touch Messi at his best in terms of overall contribution and mastery of the game. Touch, vision, awareness, passing.... there is so much more to it but you need a more nuanced understanding of the game to see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

there are no Argentinian teams even in the Champions League never mind pot 1!

That's because its a European Competition.

For clubs based in Europe....coz they're European. :p

Yes, he has broken records as all phenomenal players do. Not going to rattle off the many goal records Messi holds too (with a much more efficient goals to shots ratio i might add).

He still can't touch Messi at his best in terms of overall contribution and mastery of the game. Touch, vision, awareness, passing.... there is so much more to it but you need a more nuanced understanding of the game to see this.

He's outscored him two seasons in a row and easily the better player, mastery and all.

The "more nuanced understanding" of the game stuff is funny. You have no problem talking Messi goal scoring when he's on top. He's not on top now, CR7 is and has been for a while, just accpet it.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Of Raul's 71 Champions League goals, 70 were from open play. I wonder how long it will be - if ever - before the two lads can match or surpass that?

luckyboy wrote: »
    Of Raul's 71 Champions League goals, 70 were from open play. I wonder how long it will be - if ever - before the two lads can match or surpass that?

I imagine Messi is a lot closer to that than Ronaldo?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

I imagine Messi is a lot closer to that than Ronaldo?

Just looked it up there. Apparently, Messi has 68 goals (58 from open play) and Ronaldo has 70 goals (54 from open play)

• Advertisement

If you take away goals and assists, Stewart Downing possibly beats Messi, he has the vision, the passes, the workrate, crosses but he can also defend better than Messi

Imo excluding goals and assists Downing is the better player, his overall gameplay is ahead

Advertisement