Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon d'Or 2014 - can anyone stop Cristiano Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ronaldo hasn't touched the heights Messi has in terms of individual performance. You can argue he's performing to a higher standard now, but he will never get close to the best we've seen from Messi. Never!

Let us not forget that.

Thats great, but not exactly relevant is it?

You can argue whether Ronnie has ever hit the heights of Messi, you can argue who is technically a better play. But you could also just take your medicine and accept that Ronaldo has outperformed Messi for 2 years now, in the same way that the other side had to accept that Messi was outperforming Ronaldo for a couple of years before that.

Ronaldo has been the best player in the world this calender year to this point, I don't see much changing before the award is handed out.

Anything else is just static and background noise, let us not forget that? You can be sure the anti Ronaldo club will never be in danger of letting anyone forget that don't worry, whether its relevant to a current topic or not.

Oh, and you can argue he is performing to higher standard now? No my friend, the phrase you were looking for their was. You can categorically state that Ronaldo is performing to a higher standard now.

I imagine Messi is a lot closer to that than Ronaldo?

Doubt there is that much in it

Edit: Just saw someone has answered it, yeah was confident that would be pretty close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

Messi is a god. Ronaldo is just a god in slightly superior form, that's all.

Messi is a god - agreed.
    Ronaldo thinks he is a god - that's the difference.

The reality is that most of what's been posted above is rubbish.
    Its all about performances in 2014 - nothing before counts, so all that Messi vs. Ronaldo over 5 years or 2 years is irrelevant.
    Ronaldo should (will) win.
    Suarez should have been nominated.
    The end.

Ronaldo led Madrid to a league title, Messi got the WPOTY because of the amount of goals he scored that year. Makes it particularly funny that some are trying to paint the goalscoring as not hugely important......

Dragging Madrid to that league title in 2012 against, Messi and that Barcelona team was an incredible achievement not to mention leading Portugal to the semi finals of Euro 2012

And no this isn't just a crack pots opinion, a quick google throws up

http://www.hindustantimes.com/sports-news/sportcolumns/cristiano-ronaldo-not-lionel-messi-should-be-ballon-d-or/article1-986495.aspx

http://www.worldsoccer.com/blogs/why-lionel-messi-shouldn%E2%80%99t-have-won-the-2012-ballon-d%E2%80%99or

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2216708/Ronaldo-deserves-win-Ballon-dOr-says-Jose-Mourinho.html

jacool wrote: »
    Messi is a god - agreed.

Its all about performances in 2014 - nothing before counts, so all that Messi vs. Ronaldo over 5 years or 2 years is irrelevant.
    The end.

Quite a lot of cock there

Messi's pr team should be on a lot of money you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Messi is a god - agreed.

The end.

:pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Messi is a god - agreed.
    This is what I don't get in this debate - both sides are guilty of it at times, but the Messi fans seem far moreso. We are watching two of the absolute all time greats playing in their primes, scoring at a rate I don't think has ever happened before for such a long period of time (not including the pre 1960s era where 7-5 was around the equivalent scoreline of 3-2 today), and contributing to the overall game fantastically outside of that also. Yet for some reason there is a need by some to try and talk down or write off the player they don't "support". It's kind of sad and childish.

In terms of overall players, I don't think there are more than a few hairs you can put between them. Messi has 4 Ballon d'Ors while Ronaldo is surely on his way to his third (but has won in two different countries/clubs, in different systems). Both are head and shoulders above their compatriots, with only Suarez last season and Xavi for around 2-3 years in Barca's peak really getting close. They play similar positions, but with a different style - swap them around in 2009 and I don't think Ronaldo would do as well in Barca's team as Messi has done, but I also don't think Messi would do as well in Madrid's system as Ronaldo has done. Ronaldo was the better player when he won his first Ballon d'Or while Messi was the better of the two for the four he won, and Ronaldo again was better both this year and last - but there has not been a year where anyone could say one of them wiped the floor with the other or vice versa.

We are watching two guys who we will likely be looking back at in 7 or 8 years and comparing with (maybe even considering as superior to) four of the probable best five players ever Pele, Maradona, Di Stefano and Cruyff (Beckenbauer obviously playing a different position). But some people in recent years have been so eager to list "their guy" as the better of the two that they will go to absurd lengths to try and discredit the other, and it really doesn't ring true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

kryogen wrote: »
    Thats great, but not exactly relevant is it?

You can argue whether Ronnie has ever hit the heights of Messi, you can argue who is technically a better play. But you could also just take your medicine and accept that Ronaldo has outperformed Messi for 2 years now, in the same way that the other side had to accept that Messi was outperforming Ronaldo for a couple of years before that.

Ronaldo has been the best player in the world this calender year to this point, I don't see much changing before the award is handed out.

Anything else is just static and background noise, let us not forget that? You can be sure the anti Ronaldo club will never be in danger of letting anyone forget that don't worry, whether its relevant to a current topic or not.

Oh, and you can argue he is performing to higher standard now? No my friend, the phrase you were looking for their was. You can categorically state that Ronaldo is performing to a higher standard now.

It was relevant to the post i responded to. Yes Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or, not sure who else i'd give to. No argument from me there.

EDIT: That said, i do think there is a debate to be had over who has performed better this season, but the goal obsessed foamers don't want to hear it. Either way, it's a lot closer than people think. Last season on the other hand, no contest. Ronaldo takes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It was relevant to the post i responded to. Yes Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or, not sure who else i'd give to. No argument from me there.

EDIT: That said, i do think there is a debate to be had over who has performed better this season, but the goal obsessed foamers don't want to hear it. Either way, it's a lot closer than people think. Last season on the other hand, no contest. Ronaldo takes it.

To be honest, I don't think there is anything Ronaldo could do to change your mind.

There are people who will blindly worship Messi regardless of Ronaldo performing superior and you definitely appear to fall into that category despite your protests otherwise.

The goal obsessed foamers?

Lot of them around in 2012 alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Wow, some amount of nonsense and dick waving on the behalf of Messi & Ronaldo going on in here! I'm sure both are proud at the ridiculous lengths people are going to....

Its no surprise that Suarez didnt get nominated when he's only played so little this season. His form in the games he did play this calender year was good but the fact that others have played well in far more matches means he goes tumbling down the pecking order. The idea that he should be nominated on half a season's worth of games/form is a nonsense.

CSF wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think there is anything Ronaldo could do to change your mind.

There are people who will blindly worship Messi regardless of Ronaldo performing superior and you definitely appear to fall into that category despite your protests otherwise.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing he can do to change my mind. I think it will be a long time before anyone reaches those heights again.

The goal obsessed foamers?

Lot of them around in 2012 alright.

Without a doubt.

Quite a lot of cock there

Messi's pr team should be on a lot of money you know.

“sporting performance as well as general behaviour on and off the pitch from 30 November 2013 until 21 November 2014.”
    Having read this rule, I hereby retract my comment on Suarez being nominated !!
    Dunno why you're getting so arse-y about me saying Ronaldo should win.
    As for Messi's PR team (?), Ronaldo doesn't need one because he's a 2 legged PR machine. Let's just go back to the posing after he scored a meaningless penalty in the Champions League final, shall we? How should that be viewed in the context of general behaviour?
    "Quite a lot of cock" you say. That's all that Ronaldo, sorry brand CR7, hasn't shown us yet. When he does, we might find out if that 7 is a truism or not.
    Great player - undoubtedly. Great ego - unparalled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Utd fans do realise Ronaldo is gone don't they and he is not coming back. People are allowed to have the opinion he is not the best in the world.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Utd fans do realise Ronaldo is gone don't they and he is not coming back. People are allowed to have the opinion he is not the best in the world.

Ah yeah, thats the issue alright. Certainly why the well known United fan LuckyLloyd has been posting in this thread anyway..............................

Next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Him being a former Utd player has very little to do with it. He's gone nearly as long as he was at Utd, and has propelled himself to much greater heights than he did at Utd, and is doing it with an incredible consistency.

Surely we've long gone beyond the point of thinking that it's simply Utd fans proclaiming he's the best, his performances over the last 2 years have shown that and his (probable) second Ballon D'or in a row will also point towards that. If you seriously believe it's his Utd history that has people rating him so highly you need to take off the anti-Utd blinkers and watch him objectively.

Ah yeah, thats the issue alright. Certainly why the well known United fan LuckyLloyd has been posting in this thread anyway..............................

Next?

I think he was the best player in the world last year myself but I can accept that other people might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

some people don't grasp the concept of opinions being wrong also

I think the difference is that most people who prefer Ronaldo argue he is better comparing Ronaldo's performance to Messi whereas from what I see the people who prefer Messi try to discredit Ronaldo's performance

“sporting performance as well as general behaviour on and off the pitch from 30 November 2013 until 21 November 2014.”
    As for Messi's PR team (?), Ronaldo doesn't need one because he's a 2 legged PR machine. Let's just go back to the posing after he scored a meaningless penalty in the Champions League final, shall we? How should that be viewed in the context of general behaviour?
    "Quite a lot of cock" you say. That's all that Ronaldo, sorry brand CR7, hasn't shown us yet. When he does, we might find out if that 7 is a truism or not.

Hate Hate Hate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

shrewdness wrote: »
    Him being a former Utd player has very little to do with it. He's gone nearly as long as he was at Utd, and has propelled himself to much greater heights than he did at Utd, and is doing it with an incredible consistency.

Surely we've long gone beyond the point of thinking that it's simply Utd fans proclaiming he's the best, his performances over the last 2 years have shown that and his (probable) second Ballon D'or in a row will also point towards that. If you seriously believe it's his Utd history that has people rating him so highly you need to take off the anti-Utd blinkers and watch him objectively.

His performances over the past 2 years have been great and will probably win the Ballon D'Or. I certainly wouldnt best against it. But it does seem like alot United fans jumping on top of any discussion that goes against the idea of Ronaldo winning it.

They don't always get the same treatment in the media though (in fairness, mostly to do with Ronaldo having an ego and Messi coming over as more humble) and you just gave a great example of it. It was a meaningless goal at that point in the match, but it was to secure 'La Decima' which Madrid have been utterly obsessed with for years now, in his home country, and in the city where he grew up in from the ages of 12-17. If say, Robbie Keane scored an equally meaningless goal at the end of a CL final in the Aviva I would imagine he would celebrate it a lot too for example, and most people here would be delighted for him over it. Still over the top granted, but not as over the top as how vilified he was over it for weeks on end afterwards with the full context very rarely even being mentioned.

Then fast forward to half time in the WC Final, with Sabella (who had completely built the team around Messi as he wanted) giving an impassioned team talk having announced it would be his final game as manager regardless of result, and Mascherano later carrying that team talk on. For everyone on that pitch, they were getting ready for the biggest 15 minutes of their entire careers. Yet on the fringe of the team circle was Messi, moping and looking disinterested, and efore the team talk was even finished he casually just strolled away from it. If I recall George Hamilton basically laughed it off and said something to the effect of "Messi doesn't need to worry, he's got bigger fish to fry", and not once did I see it mentioned in the papers or on TV afterwards. If that were Ronaldo it would be a moment that would follow him to his retirement, but for some reason with it being Messi most everyone just pretended it never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its no coincidence Messi's decline in form has come with both Xavi & Iniesta both past there best imo. He had the 2 other contenders for the award in his team. Real from 2010-2013 actually had a very young team in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Dempsey wrote: »
    His performances over the past 2 years have been great and will probably win the Ballon D'Or. I certainly wouldnt best against it. But it does seem like alot United fans jumping on top of any discussion that goes against the idea of Ronaldo winning it.

Probably because he's the clear winner this year, and there's alot more than just Utd fans saying he should win it. I don't think you had many Utd fans jumping on discussions in the same way in years when Messi was the obvious choice. There may be a section of people that will go over the top for anything he does(the same goes for Messi), but at the same time there are those who will always try to discredit and play down his performances. In any case, he's certainly worthy of the praise and awards these last couple of years.

It will be interesting to see if Suarez can challenge the top 2 now he is surrounded by world class players. Is he the kind of player who is better carrying a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It will be interesting to see if Suarez can challenge the top 2 now he is surrounded by world class players. Is he the kind of player who is better carrying a team.

I think Neymar and Bale will probably take over from the top two.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I think Neymar and Bale will probably take over from the top two.

I don't see it myself. These two are no where near the level of the top two. They are still behind Suarez for me. When bales pace goes it will take a huge part of his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This thread is fun.

There's absolutely no discussion that Ronaldo has been No.1 this calendar year, he has been quite phenomenal. Yes, he only scores goals, but THAT'S HIS JOB. It was Messi's job until the start of this season too. Ronaldo has 16 goals in 8 league games so far this season. 3 in 3 in the Champions League also, there's just no comparison this year.

The question of whether Ronaldo has ever reached quite the heights of Messi is for another day's discussion.

But to the question in the OP, 'can anyone stop Cristiano Ronaldo?', the answer is an emphatic no. 49 goals in 47 games, 12 assists on top of that too for the guy who's job it is to put it in the back of the net. He's also performing incredibly well around the time of voting, which will obviously help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The amount of people who buy into this Messi nice guy image and Ronaldo is the arrogant dick stuff is laughable.

Ronaldo is know for being a nice guy who has done much for fans off the pitch.

Let me ask you, whats worse, seeming cocky and arrogant on the pitch and in your goal celebrations or being a tax cheat which is illegal and taking money illegally from the country which made you rich and disrespecting all tax paying fans, Barca fans included by not obeying the same laws they do?

You might want to think about that and what it is to commit an actual crime before you throw stuff around about the two players characters.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    This thread is fun.

There's absolutely no discussion that Ronaldo has been No.1 this calendar year, he has been quite phenomenal. Yes, he only scores goals, but THAT'S HIS JOB. It was Messi's job until the start of this season too. Ronaldo has 16 goals in 8 league games so far this season. 3 in 3 in the Champions League also, there's just no comparison this year.

The question of whether Ronaldo has ever reached quite the heights of Messi is for another day's discussion.

But to the question in the OP, 'can anyone stop Cristiano Ronaldo?', the answer is an emphatic no. 49 goals in 47 games, 12 assists on top of that too for the guy who's job it is to put it in the back of the net. He's also performing incredibly well around the time of voting, which will obviously help.

Messi did bring his team to a World Cup final though it must be remembered. Ronaldo didn't do much in Brazil. Ronaldo has to win though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Messi did bring his team to a World Cup final though it must be remembered. Ronaldo didn't do much in Brazil. Ronaldo has to win though.

He didn't score a single goal in the knockouts. He helped them out of a very weak group alright.

The rest is just people hyping up Messi. He in no way dragged them to the final. Mascherano was more important to them in those knockout games than Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

To the knock out rounds he did. He did not really play great in the knock out rounds as Mascherano & Garay were Argentina's best players. Argentina have along with Germany the best national team. Portugal are not a big nation & have an average squad.

MD1990 wrote: »
    To the knock out rounds he did. He did not really play great in the knock out rounds as Mascherano & Garay were Argentina's best players. Argentina have along with Germany the best national team. Portugal are not a big nation & have an average squad.

He couldn't even get them out of the group though. Suarez on the other hand dragged his team out of the group. Messi did the same. Ronaldo had a poor World Cup it has to be remembered.

Argentina had a far superior collection of players to Portugal, and the likes of Mascherano had an utterly exceptional tournament alongside Messi (who had a great tournament too of course). Ronaldo also delivered a brilliant moment at the death against USA to serve a goal up on a plate and keep their tournament alive.

I don't think you can blame Ronaldo for Pepe's idiocy against Germany anymore than you could blame Messi for Higuain's first half miss in the final, or Palacios failing to take a chance, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ronaldo has the ballon dor in the bag without doubt. By far the best player in the world this year.

• Advertisement

He couldn't even get them out of the group though. Suarez on the other hand dragged his team out of the group. Messi did the same. Ronaldo had a poor World Cup it has to be remembered.

That is true, though to be fair he was playing with patellar tendonitis and was clearly not 100% - his group was also a lot tougher than Messi's (Germany with 10 men for over an hour, Ghana and USA compared to Bosnia, Nigeria and Iran).

Billy86 wrote: »
    That is true, though to be fair he was playing with patellar tendonitis and was clearly not 100% - his group was also a lot tougher than Messi's (Germany with 10 men for over an hour, Ghana and USA compared to Bosnia, Nigeria and Iran).

Look, we have been shown time and again that these kinds of facts have no place in that discussion, the narrative is Ronaldo was **** at the World Cup and Messi dragged his team kicking and screaming to the final.....what difference does it make that its bull****?

Look, we have been shown time and again that these kinds of facts have no place in that discussion, the narrative is Ronaldo was **** at the World Cup and Messi dragged his team kicking and screaming to the final.....what difference does it make that its bull****?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Some people cannot accept any criticism of their beloved ronnie.

SantryRed wrote: »
    This thread is fun.

This is why Neuer will never win.
    Not a top goalscorer in my book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

As one of Messi's biggest fans I can admit that Ronaldo deserves it this year...his goal scoring has been incredible. I still think as an overall player Messi is still the best in the world but the Ballon D'Or is judged 90% on goals hence why Ronaldo deserves it.

• Advertisement

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Some people cannot accept any criticism of their beloved ronnie.

Whats apparent is that some people can't see the idiocy in Messi winning the player of the tournament, the idiocy of claiming he dragged them to a world cup final, the idiocy of failing to acknowledge that Ronaldo probably should never have actually been in Brazil, the idiocy of using the world cup as a stick to beat him, the idiocy of refusing to listen to anything that does not suit their own narrative.

Ronaldo had a poor world cup, wow, **** I just said that myself, did my head explode? No I don't think so. Ronaldo was unfit at the world cup, Messi was fit and still failed to make an impact past the weak group that he had, he was also like a petulant child, but thats besides the point. Mascherano was superb for Argentina, how come I am saying that though? I mean given his association with two teams I have very little love for? Is it possible someone can be objective about it? Must be

I can take criticism of any player, I do not take unwarranted criticism very well though, I wouldn't apologize for that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

While it is obvious that Ronaldo will get the award I actually feel that Messi is more of a team player. He passes the ball more and sets up more chances for his team mates. Whereas Ronaldo is more of an ego and can be slightly selfish with the ball. May be selfish isn't the right word.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan and I think he is an absolute phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Whats apparent is that some people can't see the idiocy in Messi winning the player of the tournament, the idiocy of claiming he dragged them to a world cup final, the idiocy of failing to acknowledge that Ronaldo probably should never have actually been in Brazil, the idiocy of using the world cup as a stick to beat him, the idiocy of refusing to listen to anything that does not suit their own narrative.

Ronaldo had a poor world cup, wow, **** I just said that myself, did my head explode? No I don't think so. Ronaldo was unfit at the world cup, Messi was fit and still failed to make an impact past the weak group that he had, he was also like a petulant child, but thats besides the point. Mascherano was superb for Argentina, how come I am saying that though? I mean given his association with two teams I have very little love for? Is it possible someone can be objective about it? Must be

I can take criticism of any player, I do not take unwarranted criticism very well though, I wouldn't apologize for that either.

Brilliant.

Messi, petulant child? Definitely mixing up the two there now in fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I guess kryogen is referring to him not taking part in the team huddle in the world cup and generally being disinterested in what was being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

py2006 wrote: »
    While it is obvious that Ronaldo will get the award I actually feel that Messi is more of a team player. He passes the ball more and sets up more chances for his team mates. Whereas Ronaldo is more of an ego and can be slightly selfish with the ball. May be selfish isn't the right word.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan and I think he is an absolute phenomenon.

Messi and Ronaldo have the same size ego. there's no proof that Ronaldo's is actually bigger, bar some of his OTT celebrations. celebrations don't equal ego. it's weird how people equate those two things.

Messi wouldn't be substituted the other week when Luis Enrique tried to get him off. Messi didn't take part in that team talk before the second half of extra time in the World Cup final. are those 2 examples not evidence of their egos being, at the very least, on par with each other? in fact, i'd argue Messi has shown more actual arrogance than Ronaldo ever has.

Ronaldo is just tall, greasy looking, with a 6-pack he's proud of, and is a showman. sadly enough, those are the only reasons he gets more of a hard time for 'ego' than Messi does.

The amount of people who buy into this Messi nice guy image and Ronaldo is the arrogant dick stuff is laughable.

Ronaldo is know for being a nice guy who has done much for fans off the pitch.

Let me ask you, whats worse, seeming cocky and arrogant on the pitch and in your goal celebrations or being a tax cheat which is illegal and taking money illegally from the country which made you rich and disrespecting all tax paying fans, Barca fans included by not obeying the same laws they do?

You might want to think about that and what it is to commit an actual crime before you throw stuff around about the two players characters.

I love this game. Being a tax cheat is worse than seeming arrogant and cocky on the pitch.

Let me ask you, what's worse, being a tax cheat or paying the mother of your son to stay out of your son's life, zero contact, zero influence... and refusing to budge on it when she offers to give back the money admitting it was the worst mistake of her life?

Robbing the government of some money or robbing a child of his mother?

Nice guy, lol, and people want to talk about PR machines.

By far the most overrated moment of the whole World Cup. Ffs not even the entire team was there, it looked like Sabella was giving advice to just a few players. Besides things like that can get very crowded and the cameras were bang in Messi's face...that's the last thing anyone would want at that time, he simply was getting space. Such an overrated thing. Again how does one minor action shape a player's personality? Ronaldo in fairness has improved as he's aged but there are countless examples of him being a spoiled brat in his early years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

SlickRic wrote: »
    Messi and Ronaldo have the same size ego. there's no proof that Ronaldo's is actually bigger, bar some of his OTT celebrations. celebrations don't equal ego. it's weird how people equate those two things.

Messi wouldn't be substituted the other week when Luis Enrique tried to get him off. Messi didn't take part in that team talk before the second half of extra time in the World Cup final. are those 2 examples not evidence of their egos being, at the very least, on par with each other? in fact, i'd argue Messi has shown more actual arrogance than Ronaldo ever has.

Ronaldo is just tall, greasy looking, with a 6-pack he's proud of, and is a showman. sadly enough, those are the only reasons he gets more of a hard time for 'ego' than Messi does.

Can't say I agree with all that. They are both entitled to a bit of an ego too considering the adulation they get.

May be Messi is a big ego too. I just don't get that impression. I think Ronaldo likes the attention more and certainly seems to be a soloist on the pitch. Which is something that shouldn't be complained about considering his success with that approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1y1Krso2Bs

imagine Ronaldo did this!! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement