Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon d'Or 2014 - can anyone stop Cristiano Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

jacool wrote: »
    This is why Neuer will never win.
    Not a top goalscorer in my book!

Ronaldo and Messi are redefining how many goals is considered a good season by a forward player. It's a massive difference to just who is top goalscorer every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

If a goalkeeper was good enough to win the Balon d'or he wouldn't be in goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jacool wrote: »
    Let's just go back to the posing after he scored a meaningless penalty in the Champions League final

Theres no such thing as a meaningless goal in a champions league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I couldn't care less who has the biggest ego or what they get up to on or off the pitch. It's about footballing ability on the pitch. Ronaldo has the edge over Messi at the minute. I do prefer Messi as a player but ronaldo has to win the award this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I love this game. Being a tax cheat is worse than seeming arrogant and cocky on the pitch.

Let me ask you, what's worse, being a tax cheat or paying the mother of your son to stay out of your son's life, zero contact, zero influence... and refusing to budge on it when she offers to give back the money admitting it was the worst mistake of her life?

Robbing the government of some money or robbing a child of his mother?

Nice guy, lol, and people want to talk about PR machines.

Lol. Did you get that from the daily mail, mirror or the sun?

Its "reported" he paid 10m to the mother and the child is in his guardianship. All of this is tabloid speculation as a big star I'm sure he wants to protect the child and one paper claims he is waiting until the child matures to learn of his mother who was an American waitress afaik but this is all tabloid speculation.

To answer your question, lets live in la la land for a moment and assume the tabloid junk was 100% true and Ronaldo paid a one night stand 10m for guardianship of the kid. Then what your asking me is him taking responsibilty for the child and giving it a great young life rather than disowning it and leaving a single mother waitress to struggle financially with a child on her own a bigger crime than being a tax cheat? I would say the tax cheat is still the bigger crime.

One is illegal, one is not but people want the Messi is an angel and Ronaldo the devil illusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

SantryRed wrote: »
    Ronaldo and Messi are redefining how many goals is considered a good season by a forward player. It's a massive difference to just who is top goalscorer every year.

Its interesting how some people cannot wrap their minds around this fact.

I couldn't care less who has the biggest ego or what they get up to on or off the pitch. It's about footballing ability on the pitch. Ronaldo has the edge over Messi at the minute. I do prefer Messi as a player but ronaldo has to win the award this year.

If you're talking about footballing ability, then Messi wins hands down. Ronaldo has been more effective of late, thus deserves the award. But ability, it's no contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

It would be interesting though too see how many strikers have won it compared to mid fielders and defenders.

Lol. Did you get that from the daily mail, mirror or the sun?

Its "reported" he paid 10m to the mother and the child is in his guardianship. All of this is tabloid speculation as a big star I'm sure he wants to protect the child and one paper claims he is waiting until the child matures to learn of his mother who was an American waitress afaik but this is all tabloid speculation.

To answer your question, lets live in la la land for a moment and assume the tabloid junk was 100% true and Ronaldo paid a one night stand 10m for guardianship of the kid. Then what your asking me is him taking responsibilty for the child and giving it a great young life rather than disowning it and leaving a single mother waitress to struggle financially with a child on her own a bigger crime than being a tax cheat? I would say the tax cheat is still the bigger crime.

One is illegal, one is not but people want the Messi is an angel and Ronaldo the devil illusion.

Mate, buying your child from his mother and not allowing her to see the child at all is morally reprehensible. It's disgusting.

He has enough money to work out a fairer solution than the black and white all or nothing scenario you have painted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That logic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I love this game. Being a tax cheat is worse than seeming arrogant and cocky on the pitch.

Let me ask you, what's worse, being a tax cheat or paying the mother of your son to stay out of your son's life, zero contact, zero influence... and refusing to budge on it when she offers to give back the money admitting it was the worst mistake of her life?

Robbing the government of some money or robbing a child of his mother?

Nice guy, lol, and people want to talk about PR machines.

The Ballon D'or is there for Footballing achievements (Best Footballer in the world) not for being the best most likeable non corrupt person on the planet and if it was I don't think FIFA would be the organisation giving it out.

Mate, buying your child from his mother and not allowing her to see the child at all is morally reprehensible. It's disgusting.

He has enough money to work out a fairer solution than the black and white all or nothing scenario you have painted.

Assuming this is what happened. Whats your source?

Not paying taxes in a country in economic crisis, a country that has made you a star, made you a millionaire. Millions defrauded from the very country and city and amongst the very fans that cheer your name. The very fans that struggle to get food on the table for their kids and are under massive strain and stress.

Ah sher thats alright, he bangs in a lot of goals for a team I like, so lets overlook it right? The guy is sounds lads.

Tippex wrote: »
    The Ballon D'or is there for Footballing achievements (Best Footballer in the world) not for being the best most likeable non corrupt person on the planet and if it was I don't think FIFA would be the organisation giving it out.

Yeah i know mate, just responding in kind to another poster, don't worry.

I just saw this. Holy crap, lol is all I can say. That logic.

This is the "more nuanced understanding of the game" you claimed to have earlier is it? :pac:

Assuming this is what happened. Whats your source?

Not paying taxes in a country in economic crisis, a country that has made you a star, made you a millionaire. Millions defrauded from the very country and city and amongst the very fans that cheer your name. The very fans that struggle to get food on the table for their kids and are under massive strain and stress.

Ah sher thats alright, he bangs in a lot of goals for a team I like, so lets overlook it right? The guy is sounds lads.

Not for one minute excusing Messi's tax dealings, even if it's likely he was unaware. It's his responsibility.

Check the internet if you have it for the Ronaldo story, mate.

• Advertisement

Tippex wrote: »

Fifa excluded Suarez for bitting, but for defrauding millions from a struggling country with many people in poverty. Yeah thats ok though.

I mean they gave him the player of the world cup award so I guess they have a quota of Messi awards they need to give out/

If you're talking about footballing ability, then Messi wins hands down. Ronaldo has been more effective of late, thus deserves the award. But ability, it's no contest.

I do agree that Messi has more to his game but ronaldo deserves the award this year and that's all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ronaldo is probably the most complete footballer there has ever been in the game.

Free kicks, penalties, heading ability, shoots with either foot, lightning fast, skill, strength he has it all.

messi has already missed 13 penalties in his career!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

SantryRed wrote: »

In a league where the gulf in revenue between the Barca/Real and everyone else continues to widen.

Not for one minute excusing Messi's tax dealings, even if it's likely he was unaware. It's his responsibility.

Check the internet if you have it for the Ronaldo story, mate.

I checked the internet and found nothing but tabloid rubbish with many of them having different facts on the same story. I named three of them. I'm well aware of them. Are you aware of the constant stream of vile lies these tabloids spew?

That's why I asked for your source. To see if you actually had something substantial or factual or you were so anti CR7 biased that you'll just take any negative written about him as fact. I guess I have my answer.

• Advertisement

Fifa excluded Suarez for bitting, but for defrauding millions from a struggling country with many people in poverty. Yeah thats ok though.

I mean they gave him the player of the world cup award so I guess they have a quota of Messi awards they need to give out/

I really don't get the Suarez talk. I know he knocked in a few goals for 'Pool last season but to me he is several light years behind Ronaldo and Messi.

py2006 wrote: »
    I really don't get the Suarez talk. I know he knocked in a few goals for 'Pool last season but to me he is several light years behind Ronaldo and Messi.

Suarez was on fire at one point last season and peaked above those two. In the EPL, a tougher league in a sqaud not rivaling Madrid or Barca's, he had a higher goals to game ration then Ronaldo and Messi. He was the third best in the world easily.

Many people were making a case for Neur, Robben, Suarez being ahead of Messi and he wouldn't make top three on the list. Saurez was simple amazing, there is no denying.

Suarez was on fire at one point last season and peaked above those two. In the EPL, a tougher league in a sqaud not rivaling Madrid or Barca's, he had a higher goals to game ration then Ronaldo and Messi. He was the third best in the world easily.

Many people were making a case for Neur, Robben, Suarez being ahead of Messi and he wouldn't make top three on the list. Saurez was simple amazing, there is no denying.

yes suarez was amazing but only in the premier league and v smaller teams. if he was scoring goals in the champions league as well he would have been on the list but he wasn't in it. Also in the big games last season v city Chelsea he was non existent

bangkok wrote: »
    yes suarez was amazing but only in the premier league and v smaller teams. if he was scoring goals in the champions league as well he would have been on the list but he wasn't in it. Also in the big games last season v city Chelsea he was non existent
    Did u see the city games particularly the one at the etihad when he was motm or is it a case of didn't score so was non existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He did it in the World Cup as well until that harmless incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think we are seeing the difference the quality of player behind you makes.

Messi for years had probably three of the best midfielders in the world behind him. Now that they are not performing as well Messi is not performing to his best.

While Ronaldo had good players behind him he now has argubaly two of the best midfeilders in the world in Modric and Kroos providing him and look at the difference. He has gone to a new level i can see him breaking record after record this season.

Did u see the city games particularly the one at the etihad when he was motm or is it a case of didn't score so was non existent.

yea the one they lost 2-1 and Vincent company won motm??

niallo27 wrote: »

How many games did he have? He scored against England twice to win the game did he not?

scored 2 goals against a terrible England team and didn't do too much after that as he was mostly injured or not 100% fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Suarez was the 3rd maybe 4th with Robben last year. If he kept his head down and concentrated on football he would be in the running for the award. He went on a run last season that is the closest anyone has come to the top two's form in recent years. He is probably the 3rd best player in the world imo even though i don't particularly like him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Stop defending him, he doesn't play for Liverpool anymore and he's never coming back, other people can have an opinion too you know...

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Suarez was the 3rd maybe 4th with Robben last year. If he kept his head down and concentrated on football he would be in the running for the award. He went on a run last season that is the closest anyone has come to the top two's form in recent years. He is probably the 3rd best player in the world imo even though i don't particularly like him.

don't agree with that, he had no champions league so wasn't fully tested against the best.

Could you honestly say he was better than Diego Costa last year, who won la liga against all odds, di maria or bale who both had an unbelievable seasons, arjen robben??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Stop defending him, he doesn't play for Liverpool anymore and he's never coming back, other people can have an opinion too you know...

:D:D

The irony of this in a 'Ronnie' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

By far the most overrated moment of the whole World Cup. Ffs not even the entire team was there, it looked like Sabella was giving advice to just a few players. Besides things like that can get very crowded and the cameras were bang in Messi's face...that's the last thing anyone would want at that time, he simply was getting space. Such an overrated thing. Again how does one minor action shape a player's personality? Ronaldo in fairness has improved as he's aged but there are countless examples of him being a spoiled brat in his early years.

You sure?

_76239277_messiteamtalk2.jpg

article-2690792-1F9F81F100000578-936_634x477.jpg

article-0-1F8626FF00000578-995_634x496.jpg

scored 2 goals against a terrible England team and didn't do too much after that as he was mostly injured or not 100% fit

Yes he wasnt 100% but he still pulled them through the group unlike Ronaldo who didnt with similar groups and players around him.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You sure?

Most of the players arent even looking at mascherano in that picture.

Yes he wasnt 100% but he still pulled them through the group unlike Ronaldo who didnt with similar groups and players around him.

CR7 was in the group of death. Haha, people will say any old crap. Saying CR7 had a similar group to Messi? Rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Billy86 wrote: »
    You sure?

_76239277_messiteamtalk2.jpg

article-0-1F8626FF00000578-995_634x496.jpg

I stand corrected but as you can see from that second image Zabaleta, Rojo, Gago, Biglia and a few more aren't clued in either...last image confused me as it's from a completely different match... Messi could be bang in the middle of that just crouched down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ronnie deserves it this year again for me, messi second. Would like to see neuer get 3rd spot myself, robben a fair shout too. Suarez being excluded in the short list is a joke.

Half that terrible England team were his team mates at club level so surely what he achieved with all those terrible players to play alongside at club level makes his achievements last season all the more remarkable.

CR7 was in the group of death. Haha, people will say any old crap. Saying CR7 had a similar group to Messi? Rubbish.

I was talking about Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Haha, that was clearly the Dutch/Spanish group haha. Portugal should have taken 2nd place if their players performed. People will say any rubbish to excuse 'Ronnie' haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Quiet simple it's Ronaldo's this year .

I was talking about Suarez.

My bad
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Haha, that was clearly the Dutch/Spanish group haha. Portugal should have taken 2nd place if their players performed. People will say any rubbish to excuse 'Ronnie' haha.

Yeah, sure it was only the eventual winners Germany and the USA plus Portugal and Ghana who were in the African cup of nations semis.

but the Spanish team who looked very poor were in with the Dutch and the footballing gisnts, Chile and Austrailia. Whatever way you want to Spin it

• Advertisement

My bad

Yeah, sure it was only the eventual winners Germany and the USA plus Portugal and Ghana who were in the African cup of nations semis.

but the Spanish team who looked very poor were in with the Dutch and the footballing gisnts, Chile and Austrailia. Whatever way you want to Spin it

If you are going be the best in the world and maybe the best of all time, well things like not getting his country out of the group stages will go against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If you are going be the best in the world and maybe the best of all time, well things like not getting his country out of the group stages will go against him.

Unless it's Messi, and then it would be completely irrelevant

CSF wrote: »
    Unless it's Messi, and then it would be completely irrelevant

To you maybe but not to me.

Ronaldo is probably the most complete footballer there has ever been in the game.

Free kicks, penalties, heading ability, shoots with either foot, lightning fast, skill, strength he has it all.

messi has already missed 13 penalties in his career!!!

Ronaldo the most complete player? Probably the perfect physical specimen for a footballer, but certainly not the most complete player. That's quite ludicrous.

but certainly not the most complete player. That's quite ludicrous.

Perhaps the closest thing to it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement