Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon d'Or 2014 - can anyone stop Cristiano Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

py2006 wrote: »
    Perhaps the closest thing to it?

Not at all. Unless we have wires crossed and the guy means complete athlete. Then most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

niallo27 wrote: »
    If you are going be the best in the world and maybe the best of all time, well things like not getting his country out of the group stages will go against him.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    To you maybe but not to me.

So how do you rate Messi who has never done it at an international tournament? The 2010 world Cup he didn't score. In the 2011 Copa America tournament he didn't score, in the 2007 Copa America he scored twice. Argentina were dumped out in both 2011 & 2007 with Messi not being close to the best player. In the 2006 World Cup he got 1 goal with Argentina dumped out again. No goals in the knockouts once the easy group stage teams were gone in this WC.

He has done nothing spectacular for his Country at International level. Hardly the actions of the best of all time.

I swore i saw Messi in a world cup final this summer.

Thankfully nobody said otherwise. How did he play?

Did you see CR7 in the Euro 2004 final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Both Messi and Ronaldo never done it for countries, it's not Messi's fault Xavi and Iniesta aren't Argentinian

It won't be much of a slight when they finish up, will definitely go down amongst the greatest ever

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

And I saw Ronaldo in the final of Euro 2004, as a teenager.

If there is any difference between the respective international careers of Messi and Ronaldo thus far, it's fcuk all of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Both Messi and Ronaldo never done it for countries, it's not Messi's fault Xavi and Iniesta aren't Argentinian

It won't be much of a slight when they finish up, will definitely go down amongst the greatest ever

Ronaldo is his countries all time top scorer in fairness to him. Internationals are no longer a very good way of defining a career though, or talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Ronaldo is ****

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Ronaldo is ****

Trees are green.

kryogen wrote: »
    Trees are green.

They sure are and ronaldo is ****

• Advertisement

You will need to be a little more.......em, well, smarter then that to get the reaction you desire chum

Did I mention

Logs are brown?

You will need to be a little more.......em, well, smarter then that to get the reaction you desire chum

Did I mention

Logs are brown?

Chill out man.

Na i think he will def get it again this year, but messi in my eyes is a better player. Bale and neymar should be up there aswel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Enjoying the mid term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Was just comparing his goalscoring record with a few of the other greats of the game and his goals per game ratio as of now is 0.68, since the 07-08 season his ratio is 0.94.

By comparison Gerd Muller has 655 goals in 709 games, Puskas has 616 in 620, Ronaldo has 352 in 518, Di Stefano has 485 in 664, and Pele has 757 in 812 minus the 526 in 554 that were gotten in 'friendly matches and other defunct tournaments'.

Messi has 374 in 469.

If Ronaldo wins it he will have deserved it and not even his most injury laden season to date (13/14) has curtailed his progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ronaldo @ number 1, Messi @ number 2, Suarez should be @ number 3 but obviously because of his WC shenanigans he couldn't be on the list.

Lahm imo would be third in the absence of Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Are people actually questioning this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

darced wrote: »

No chance, he's miles behind Messi in goals per game ratio

Ronaldo has a better ratio in La Liga than Messi to be fair

Adding his right wing days at United puts him about .12 per game behind Messi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ronaldo has a better ratio in La Liga than Messi to be fair

Adding his right wing days at United puts him about .12 per game behind Messi

Messi was young when he started playing in La Liga, and thus his ratio would obviously suffer. Ronaldo wasn't. Who has the better ratio in La Liga since Ronaldo came to Real?

Ronaldo was an out and out striker in his final season at United, and has been since. It's only since Guardiola left Barca that Messi is being deployed as a striker, as every Barca manager since has been next to useless. Until then he always started on the wing and roamed into centre mid, playing a deeper role than Ronaldo, and being involved in much of the playmaking with Iniesta and Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Messi was young when he started playing in La Liga, and thus his ratio would obviously suffer. Ronaldo wasn't. Who has the better ratio in La Liga since Ronaldo came to Real?

Ronaldo was an out and out striker in his final season at United, and has been since. It's only since Guardiola left Barca that Messi is being deployed as a striker, as every Barca manager since has been next to useless. Until then he always started on the wing and roamed into centre mid, playing a deeper role than Ronaldo, and being involved in much of the playmaking with Iniesta and Xavi

Hold on so you went on a ramble writing off Ronaldo because all he does is score goals.

Now your here defending Messi's goals ratio and making excuses for him.

Doesn't really make much sense if you think goals are not important.

Oh dear, your lack of knowledge here is showing. Pep sold Eto and Zlatan to make Messi the centre piece of that Barca team. He was a striker under Pep.

Oh dear, your lack of knowledge here is showing. Pep sold Eto and Zlatan to make Messi the centre piece of that Barca team. He was a striker under Pep.

Yeah Pep moving him central was heralded as genius sure.

For the record, Messi has 196 in 177 games since Ronaldo entered La Liga

Ronaldo has 193 in 174.......

I'm sure you can all work out the ratio there :)

Thats just league goals, I will throw up the stats for other competitions too if ye like

Oh go on then, Ronaldo 282/267 all competitions
    Messi has scored
    289/272 all competitions.

They are remarkably similar, two goalscoring freaks.

Yeah Pep moving him central was heralded as genius sure.

For the record, Messi has 196 in 177 games since Ronaldo entered La Liga

Ronaldo has 193 in 174.......

I'm sure you can all work out the ratio there :)

Thats just league goals, I will throw up the stats for other competitions too if ye like

Throw up some stats that are more impressive (or comprehensive) than this to support your argument and i will be a believer.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Best of luck!

EDIT: It features lots of Ronaldo stats too, so should be interesting reading for you.

Throw up some stats that are more impressive (or comprehensive) than this to support your argument and i will be a believer.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Best of luck!

EDIT: It features lots of Ronaldo stats too, so should be interesting reading for you.

A believer in what? I don't really care what you believe friend :) Someone had asked for how the goal ratio would compare since Ronaldo started playing in La Liga, that post is an answer to that.

There is no argument about that.

• Advertisement

A believer in what? I don't really care what you believe friend :) Someone had asked for how the goal ratio would compare since Ronaldo started playing in La Liga, that post is an answer to that.

There is no argument about that.

Ah okay, give it a read anyways. It's interesting, delves into a bit more than goal stats. ;)

Ah okay, give it a read anyways. It's interesting, delves into a bit more than goal stats. ;)

Its ok, I have read it, and many articles like it before. Depending on the publication you will often find the same figures used to illustrate different points, but anyway since the query was in relation to goals there is no need to delve into anything other then goal stats sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Hug it out lads.

Its ok, I have read it, and many articles like it before. Depending on the publication you will often find the same figures used to illustrate different points, but anyway since the query was in relation to goals there is no need to delve into anything other then goal stats sure.

If you find the time can you post up some of the other articles like it that you've read before. I've never seen anything near as comprehensive as the one i posted, so would love to read them.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I think the Barca team Messi started in compared to the United team Ronaldo begun at, was much better, so I think comparing their earlier years Messi had better players around him, so I'd expect him to have scored more around then.

Doesn't really matter though, up until two years ago I thought Messi was the better player, in his all round game. Ronaldo has been consistently better the last two years.

Personally I prefer watching Ronaldo for his power, pace, strength over Messi's vision, balance, ability to make space for himself in tight areas but that's just me.

I've always thought that when either are playing, it's two different methodologies... with Messi it's like he's making love, with Ronaldo it's like he's here to fk!

That link on the other thread pops up in every thread like this, completely ignoring that teams aren't a universal control and that Barcelona were evidently miles better than Madrid for 3 or 4 years

Spazdarn wrote: »
    with Messi it's like he's making love, with Ronaldo it's like he's here to fk!

This thread gets weirder every day.

That link on the other thread pops up in every thread like this, completely ignoring that teams aren't a universal control and that Barcelona were evidently miles better than Madrid for 3 or 4 years

Standard, weak, go-to rebuttal.

70% of Ronaldo's goals are from his first touch, suggesting he is heavily dependent on the service of others. More so than Messi. Stats are fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

darced wrote: »
    As I said Messi is way out in front of the overall goals to games ratio,obviously they both can pick certain periods of when they performed better.

Question is can Ronaldo close the gap?

He is in better goalscoring form at the minute but possibly doesn't have as many years left so I think he will end up behind but closer when all is said and done.

No, the question is who has been better in 2014. People seem to be forgetting that in their hate. It's Ronaldo btw.

If Atletico had won the CL I'd be tempted to make a case to have Costa ahead of him but they didn't so he's not.

Speaking of, surely Simeone should be a shoe in for Manager of the Year? Now, I say should be, not will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Standard, weak, go-to rebuttal.

70% of Ronaldo's goals are from his first touch, suggesting he is heavily dependent on the service of others. More so than Messi. Stats are fun.

I'm sure the Madrid players felt bad celebrating so many first touch goals, just not the same really.

Speaking of, surely Simeone should be a shoe in for Manager of the Year? Now, I say should be, not will be.

Hasn't done it on the national stage kryogen...also I hear he punches kittens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Liam O wrote: »
    I'm sure the Madrid players felt bad celebrating so many first touch goals, just not the same really.

Maybe if Messi stopped dilly-dallying and hit it first time he would score more :pac:

70% of Ronaldos goals coming with his first touch would be quite the testament to the technique he possess, no need for a second touch obviously. You could argue that someone who doesn't score that often with their first touch is not technically as proficient I suppose. Finishing is the toughest thing to do in the game, to excel at it to the level that 7 in 10 of your many, many goals is quite the achievement

Stats are fun

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Hasn't done it on the national stage kryogen...also I hear he punches kittens.

I'm genuinely not sure if this is serious or not :)

Just in case.....He has broken the big two dominance in La Liga and led an unfancied Atletico side to a title, and a CL final playing some great stuff.

Certainly no mean feat, I would hope they don't just give it to Ancelloti cause of the CL or to Loew for the WC. Great achievements that they were, I would be voting for Simeone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Just in case.....He has broken the big two dominance in La Liga and led an unfancied Atletico side to a title, and a CL final playing some great stuff.

Certainly no mean feat, I would hope they don't just give it to Ancelloti cause of the CL or to Loew for the WC. Great achievements that they were, I would be voting for Simeone anyway.

I'd say the kittens part should have given it away.

Was there allegations about PEDs directed at athletico, thought I heard there was. Should win it regardless.

Nah...I was kidding...I think he should win as well but I feel that he will end up being 3rd behind Ancelloti and Loew.

70% of Ronaldos goals come from his first touch meaning he makes something out of nothing which 100% of the rest of players can't do

Love a good interpretation myself

70% of Ronaldos goals come from his first touch meaning he makes something out of nothing which 100% of the rest of players can't do

Love a good interpretation myself

How do you make something out of nothing with one touch? Apologies if you're being facetious and it's going over my head.

How do you make something out of nothing with one touch? .

By being the best player in the world, one touch is all he needs

http://vine.co/v/OMzOIbl1vWD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

MD1990 wrote: »
    Here would be my Top 10 players in the world for 2014

1 Ronaldo
    2 Messi
    3 Suarez
    4 Neur
    5 Robben
    6 Di Maria
    7 Lahm
    8 Muller
    9 Ibrahimovic
    10 Bale

Don't understand how somebody could rate Neuer so highly in terms of who's deserving of the award. He goes untroubled in such a high percentage of the games throughout the season that he usually won't get to show off his ability, as good as it is.

70% of Ronaldos goals coming with his first touch would be quite the testament to the technique he possess, no need for a second touch obviously. You could argue that someone who doesn't score that often with their first touch is not technically as proficient I suppose. Finishing is the toughest thing to do in the game, to excel at it to the level that 7 in 10 of your many, many goals is quite the achievement

Stats are fun

Absolutely, you're right in what you say. It also suggests that the service provided to him is world class, and that he's world class at creating the opportunities to receive such service that enables him to score with his first touch of course. I can't say fairer than that.

Context: I'm saying this in response to the suggestion that one player has it all laid on a plate for him (best midfield in the world) while the other makes everything for himself, which is clearly not supported by the evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Liam O wrote: »
    No, the question is who has been better in 2014. People seem to be forgetting that in their hate. It's Ronaldo btw.

If Atletico had won the CL I'd be tempted to make a case to have Costa ahead of him but they didn't so he's not.

why ignore your own question then.

Ronaldo was better than costa regardless what was won. Why would atletico winning a game he didnt play in matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ronaldo was an out and out striker in his final season at United, and has been since.
    :pac:

Advertisement