Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pirlo or Xavi?

• 27-10-2014 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Imagine you're picking a team and have to select either Pirlo or Xavi as your midfield general. Which one would you go for?

Would you choose Pirlo or Xavi as your team's midfield general? 66 votes

Pirlo
    0% 0 votes
    Xavi
    100% 66 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Xavi, and it's not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Xavi. Better rounded IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Right now or at their peak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Daddy. No wait, chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Xavi, and it's not even close.

But...but...but... Pirlo's beard? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Xavi although i wished we had got Pirlo when we were in for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pirlo in terms of cult icon, etc. Xavi in terms of footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Totti

Totti

Messi and Ronaldo.

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Jack Colback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Xavi by such a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Xavi. I haven't seen anyone control the game like he did. It was just amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Xavi. Pirlo is completely over rated. Especially since his chip peno vs England at euro 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Xavi.

Dictated the flow of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

deadybai wrote: »
    Pirlo is completely over rated.
    Why did you think that?

Seriously, how is this poll so close? We are talking about players from 2 completely different tiers of ability here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

CSF wrote: »
    Seriously, how is this poll so close? We are talking about players from 2 completely different tiers of ability here.

not really.

Both are top midfielders, key men in both Champions League and World Cup winning teams.

If find it a tough call to pick one.

Pirlo has penalties and free kicks in his locker, plus a proper beard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The answer is Xavi, next question please.

I know all the cool kids want to adore Pirlo, but this isn't even a close thing.

not really.

Both are top midfielders, key men in both Champions League and World Cup winning teams.

If find it a tough call to pick one.

Pirlo has penalties and free kicks in his locker, plus a proper beard
    Pirlo was a great player, Xavi comes into the best of all time discussion. There is a big difference between them IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

But...but...but... Pirlo's beard? :(

Sat in a vineyard too once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I think if Pirlo played for Barcelona alongside the likes of Iniesta, Messi, Ronaldinho, Busquets, Henry etc. he would have dominated games every bit as well as Xavi.
    I wouldn't put much between them and Scholes at his best too. There is no definitive answer as to who was the best but they were all a pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

No Pirlo no party!

I think if Pirlo played for Barcelona alongside the likes of Iniesta, Messi, Ronaldinho, Busquets, Henry etc. he would have dominated games every bit as well as Xavi.
    I wouldn't put much between them and Scholes at his best too. There is no definitive answer as to who was the best but they were all a pleasure to watch.
    He hardly had a rough time of it playing with Seedorf, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Kaka, Shevchenko, Nesta and Maldini. Pirlo was a great player obviously, but Xavi was the focal point of arguably the best club and best international team in the history of the game, both of which had so much success because of his unrivalled ability (of any player, ever) to keep and dictate possession and the tempo of a game so consistently. Both of those teams came to prominence as he entered his peak, and have since fallen off a little despite still being incredibly star studded, pretty much perfectly in line with his getting past his peak.

For me Xavi is the only player with any kind of an argument to being on par with Ronaldo and Messi from around 2008-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Blur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

You could argue the milan side he was in around 2005 was as good a side as barca in its pomp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The style of football I was more hinting at. Xavi is rightly considered the master of tiki-taka, if Pirlo was placed in that Barca team instead of Xavi at the time he could have done every bit as good a job. Conversely if Xavi played in the great Milan team he could emulate Pirlo's more direct passing style too. Both technically masterful footballers with great footballing brains, Xavi will leave a greater legacy but Pirlo was just as talented in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pirlo is one of the best midfielders of his generation. No question about that.

But Xavi is the best midfielder of his generation. Truly among the greats of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

John O'Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seen both play live couple of times and its much much closer then people think.

Xavi for me but to say they are worlds apart is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Xavi is a clear level above. For me, and for a lot of people, he was the single most important person for Barcelona from '06-'11. Not the best, but the most important. A bit of a shame that his peak coincided with Messi's and Ronaldo's as he never got the individual awards, but nonetheless, he'll be remembered as one of the greatest midfielders of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

THFC wrote: »
    Xavi is a clear level above. For me, and for a lot of people, he was the single most important person for Barcelona from '06-'11. Not the best, but the most important. A bit of a shame that his peak coincided with Messi's and Ronaldo's as he never got the individual awards, but nonetheless, he'll be remembered as one of the greatest midfielders of all time.

I'm sure double European Championships, a World Cup, 3 CL and 5 leagues is ample reward for him in that period.

He'll be remembered as the heartbeat of Messi's Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. Both are the fulcrum of the midfield, both controlled games pretty much every game they played. Both have pretty much won it all, although Xavi in better sides usually. Both are rightly regarded as being some of the very best to play in the game. There's nowhere near the difference you're making out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Don't be ridiculous. Both are the fulcrum of the midfield, both controlled games pretty much every game they played. Both have pretty much won it all, although Xavi in better sides usually. Both are rightly regarded as being some of the very best to play in the game. There's nowhere near the difference you're making out.

A lot of players were made to look better by Xavi. He was far superior in a defensive sense with his pressing energy levels in his prime. Pirlo looked very stylish himself but didn't raise the performances around him as much as Xavi.

I like Pirlo and respect his career hugely but Xavi is Xavi and the main man in the best midfield of all time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I was vote no.100

made it 61-39 to Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Liam O wrote: »
    A lot of players were made to look better by Xavi. He was far superior in a defensive sense with his pressing energy levels in his prime. Pirlo looked very stylish himself but didn't raise the performances around him as much as Xavi.

I like Pirlo and respect his career hugely but Xavi is Xavi and the main man in the best midfield of all time.
    That's perfectly fine, but that doesn't change CSF's ridiculous hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Blur

Pfft it was all about oasis .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Could not choose one over the other but gives me an excuse to post my Dream Team XI.
    Buffon

Cafu Thuram Nesta R.Carlos

Pirlo

Xavi Iniesta

Messi Ronaldinho

L.Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Could not choose one over the other but gives me an excuse to post my Dream Team XI.
    Buffon

Pirlo

Xavi Iniesta

Messi Ronaldinho

L.Ronaldo

I'd swap in Maldini for Thuram. But I'd go along with the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I'd swap in Maldini for Thuram. But I'd go along with the rest.

Or swap in Maldini for Robbie C in order to get full chem. on Fifa Ultimate Team lol lol lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Or swap in Maldini for Robbie C in order to get full chem. on Fifa Ultimate Team lol lol lol

I'd have Franco Baresi ahead of Nesta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pirlo goes into the overrated pile for me, if he is being compared with Xavi. Brilliant player who had a nice renaissance at the end of his career after a couple of less than spectacular final years at Milan. But he needs to go into the Scholes/Kaka/Alonso tier, all sitting below Xavi, who was the best of his generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Buffon

Pirlo

Xavi Iniesta

Messi Ronaldinho

L.Ronaldo

No Cruyff, Zidane or Maradona. Actually no older players at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Only included players that I have watched, hate to leave out the likes of Zizou, Figsi. Keano, Eto'o, Lahm etc.. but I think my team would work beautifully together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Lampard is better than both. Scores more goals, innit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lampard is better than both. Scores more goals, innit?

Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Neither really a midfield general though. Pirlo seems to have more leadership but individual quality, Xavi hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Grow up.

Well that seems to be the criteria for the best these days. Because Ronaldo scores the most goals, so he must be the best player according to many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They both sound like expensive Italian suit brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Honestly it has to be Xavi buy my god pirlo is a joy to watch also !!!
    I think Xavi is feh better player but I haven't saw anyone who can pass a ball like pirlo even under pressure . The closest to me would be Alonso .
    I do think they are two complete different players and are both a joy to watch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Well that seems to be the criteria for the best these days. Because Ronaldo scores the most goals, so he must be the best player according to many

Than someone else who plays as an attacker, pretty important criterion, not the only one. I hardly think you're being genuine though. I wont be responding to posts btw, so dont expect one if you see this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement