Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fish and Chip in Limerick?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

seachto7 wrote: »
    On a side note what's the one in Gort?
    Luigis near Russell's does some nice battered sausages. The girl there usually fires in a shovel of chips with the sausages

Kettle of Fish is on the right hand side as you are leaving Gort for Galway on the old route from Limerick. It is an outstanding chipper, as good as any I've been to (I include Rick Steins in Padstow). Massive selection of fresh fish, superb calamari. Beautiful chips, dry not soggy, fluffy on the inside. It'd be great to have somewhere like it in Limerick.

Bobby Byrnes do very good fish and chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Scampi and chips in The Curraghgower are fantastic not fresh cod but still as tasty

Kettle o fish garlic Mayo is unreal also a rare place that does fresh chicken goujons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Sorry if I came off snippy. It's just that there has been no topic ever discussed on here as much as the chippers of Limerick I'd say. It's always the same stuff (Luigi's lock the thread, Donkey's is after getting very dear etc etc).
    The OP specifically mentioned the Liscannor place, a post from yesterday brought up that place like it was something we may not have heard of.
    To be honest I think people should at least have a quick read of the thread (it's very short) before posting.

Personally I think that Luigi's is the best chipper in Limerick but I'm pretty sure that there is nowhere in the city serving proper fresh fish which is a pity.

Not at all Swiper the fox and I very much agree with the sentiment of your post. Being honest I'm not big into takeaways...its generally cheaper and healthier to cook yourself. But I do treat myself from time to time with a burger and chip.

Just to ad my own thoughts to the thread....Its being a while since I had takeaway food in Limerick city, not frequenting the city too often these times but from when I did I found Luigi's to be pretty good also. Last time I got a takeaway from Luigi's I was catching a bus with a friend. I brought him over a burger and chip to the bus station too and he reckoned they were possibly the nicest chips he had in a long time if not ever!...granted he was hungry and had a good long fast before that though.

As its being a while since I ate in Limerick chippers to any degree it would be wrong of me to give my opinion as standards can slip or improve. Also I believe I have ate at all chippers in the past that were mentioned so far in the thread apart from Donkey Fords and it does seem to get good recommendations any time this thread arises. Furthermore, it may depend on what your getting. One chipper may do a good burger and the next may do a good fish. Further still it may depend on when you hit the chipper, and who prepared your food. For example if the oil was just after being changed maybe.

Agree with you though its a pity there is no chipper in Limerick for the size of a town it is that compares to the likes of Liscannor Fish and Chip (never ate there but can only assume its very good from the sentiment in the thread). As such no real answer can be provided to the OP apart from what is in ones own opinion the best chipper in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Thanks for all your replies.

Advertisement