Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back superannuation with PR.

Options
  • 27-10-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to get your superannuation back if you leave Australia if you have a permanent residency visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, you can't. You have to be a "departing temporary resident", which requires that you be on a temporary visa. As a PR you can (theoretically) retire to Australia, so they won't let you take out your super and spend it on crisps and beer.

(Nor sure whether there might be some possibility of transferring it into an Irish pension fund, or similar institution in whatever country you move to.)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 buffalo909

I remember lookin this up before I think it's possible to claim your super early if you're in financial hardship or have large medical bills etc there's probably some way round it

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

2010jc wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get your superannuation back if you leave Australia if you have a permanent residency visa?

It can be done but is fairly difficult to achieve. Your super provider or a financial adviser might be able to assist you but I wouldn't be too optimistic. There are very limited circumstances that a super can be released pre retirement age

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It can be done.
    You need to give up your PR, then apply (or let it expire)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2010jc

Thanks for the replies.

Got this email back from the superannuation company...

"Thank you for your email.
    The visa would have to be cancelled with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, before a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment can be made. "

I'll look into it a bit more...

• Advertisement
Advertisement