Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job - points on licence...

Options
  • 27-10-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting a new job next week.

The only thing I am concerned about is that I have 3 points for speeding coming onto my licence quite soon - in the original job description it said something along the lines of "clean driving licence (no endorsements)" - all I was asked in the interviews was if I had a full licence.

The dilemma I have is do I tell them on the first day that points will be coming onto my licence or do I wait until I am asked? I don't want to be seen to be hiding anything.

The job itself needs a full licence and if I was to be banned from driving I would immediately lose the job, but I can't imagine it is expected that everybody is free of points. It is not a driving job by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi Anon123Z,

Seeing as this is not really a Personal Issue, I think that you have a better chance at getting a definitive answer either way in the Work & Jobs forum.

I've moved it to the Work Problems subforum, as they support anonymous posting.

Regards,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Having points on your license is very different to having an endorsement on your license. You will only get an endorsement after a court appearance and having your license taken away or suspended. You've no endorsement you just have some penalty points. You've no problem no need to mention anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Full clean licence" basically means that you haven't been convicted of a motoring offence in the last 3 years.

Penalty points are not convictions and so don't count as endorsements.

The only time I can see an employer being concerned is if someone has 10 points or so on their licence, because they're one step away from losing their licence & job. But in general their concern is not that you'll be disqualified, their concern is that you won't be covered by their insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Clean Licence does mean free of any points, however with only three, you'd be ok. Bear in mind, if you have more than 4 points, it must be disclosed to the insurance company, and a loading on your premium may apply. But you haven't told a lie, you don't have any points......yet.

As an employer, I wouldn't have a problem with 3 points, but I would need to know if you had more than 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

"Full clean license" is code for "passed your driving test" in the recruiting business in this country (unless of course you are applying for a driving job of some description). Don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement