Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam alert. Bank of Ireland Credit Cards

Options
  • 27-10-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭

Seems the scammers from a certain part of the world are now looking for credit card details.

Just got a call from 0019419973335 from a guy claiming to be a David Bald saying there was an issue with my credit card, I asked him what bank and he said Bank of Ireland, as I'm not a BOI customer it's obviously a scam.

He hung up when I said I wasn't with BOI and knew he was just trying to scam me.

My wife laughed out loud when I asked him was he actually bald? No hair? :D

Any ideas on how to drag out the calls similar to the Microsoft ones. I enjoy wasting their time hopefully keeping them from getting to ring someone who might fall for their scam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Seems the scammers from a certain part of the world are now looking for credit card details.

Just got a call from 0019419973335 from a guy claiming to be a David Bald saying there was an issue with my credit card, I asked him what bank and he said Bank of Ireland, as I'm not a BOI customer it's obviously a scam.

He hung up when I said I wasn't with BOI and knew he was just trying to scam me.

My wife laughed out loud when I asked him was he actually bald? No hair? :D

Any ideas on how to drag out the calls similar to the Microsoft ones. I enjoy wasting their time hopefully keeping them from getting to ring someone who might fall for their scam.

yep, play the innocent believing victim, play a little hard to get "are you sure I should be giving this to you" and then give them your credit card details which just always seem to have a couple of numbers wrong every time he tries to enter it on his own terminal (he'll have a cc verification list that they nabbed from somewhere).

Oh dear, Im sure Im giving you the right numbers, let me try again,
    maybe Im not saying them right, actually let me spell out the name for you on the card so you can verify on your end
    "G-O A-S-K M-E B-O-L-L-...."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Talk to Bank of Ireland forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

My wife laughed out loud when I asked him was he actually bald?  No hair?  :D

Any ideas on how to drag out the calls similar to the Microsoft ones.  I enjoy wasting their time hopefully keeping them from getting to ring someone who might fall for their scam.
    Hi brightspark, 

I will pass these details to the Credit Cards Security Team. Hopefully this thread will help raise awareness. We also have credit card security information that can be found here

Thanks for the info. 

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I already rang your security team yesterday, I posted in the consumer issues section to raise awareness, but the mod moved it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

My old aged neighbour got a similar call last week but was requested to tell only the last 3 digits on the back of his Visa BOFI card, caller seems knew his card number and expiry date. Caller's number was not shown. For old man it was a stress. He mostly used his card for small shoppings like cigarettes and coke in different shops. I adviced him to keep some small cash and use cash for a small shops and small shoppings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement