Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy - 28th January 2015 - Vicar St

Options
  • 27-10-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

28 Jan 2015 / Dublin, IE / Vicar Street
    On sale 10/30 @ 9am GMT

From Wilco Website

Reckon i will try go to this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

They played a few Wilco songs in Austin recently:
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2365351375/?start=1200

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Not overly-enamoured of the album but I reckon I'll give this a whirl too.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Squelchy wrote: »
    Not overly-enamoured of the album but I reckon I'll give this a whirl too.

Scratch that, I just noticed the tickets are €40! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tupelopenny

From the Wilco Facebook.

As a part of these concerts, Jeff also performs a solo acoustic set of Wilco and Uncle Tupelo material.

I'd rather pay a fiver extra and see Wilco though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Figured it would have been dearer, his london shows are 30 Sterlings so.

Annoying but i'll still pay it i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What a stupid name, is this the ones that do the Birdy Song.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

What a stupid name, is this the ones that do the Birdy Song.
    THe fist thing I thought when I saw it was Cheryl Tweedy might have a new band

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Looking forward to this now. Enjoyed the last solo show immensely.

Also, some news;

WILCO MARKS 20 YEARS WITH TWO SPECIAL RELEASES OUT FRIDAY NOV 28th ON NONESUCH RECORDS

ALPHA MIKE FOXTROT: RARE TRACKS 1994–2014, A RARITIES BOX SET, AND WHAT’S YOUR 20: ESSENTIAL TRACKS, 38 ESSENTIAL SONGS CULLED FROM WILCO STUDIO RECORDINGS

sweetie wrote: »
    Looking forward to this now. Enjoyed the last solo show immensely.

Also, some news;

WILCO MARKS 20 YEARS WITH TWO SPECIAL RELEASES OUT FRIDAY NOV 28th ON NONESUCH RECORDS

ALPHA MIKE FOXTROT: RARE TRACKS 1994–2014, A RARITIES BOX SET, AND WHAT’S YOUR 20: ESSENTIAL TRACKS, 38 ESSENTIAL SONGS CULLED FROM WILCO STUDIO RECORDINGS

Anyone getting the vinyl, order from nonesuch rather than the bands own store shipping is $30 dollars less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Just checked out Field Report, support for Irish gig. Might head to this gig now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Give the album a couple of listens. I'm actually loving it... The grandness of a lo-if double album put me off for a bit but it's actually very worthy of the 5 star reviews it's been getting almost everywhere....

Definitely going to this. Seems they are doing a two hour plus set with the final third being Wilco UT stuff with the odd left field cover thrown in there. Easily worth 40 Euros considering it's mostly a full band show over two hours. Tweedy is a legend of a songwriter and to get to hear his latest project will be a pleasure.. Can't wait.

is t****tmaster the only option for buying these?

anyone know if its fully seated tonight. I know tweedy are on at 9.15 but would be good to know if I need to be in early for a decent seat

super show! keep it country, scarleh for her.

Anyone questioning the 40 euros entrance fee certainly couldnt have felt short changed tonight. Short but very sweet set by Field Report and then Tweedy and band who were fantastic.. 2hrs 15 mins on stage... Great varied setlist and some of the banter was very ****in funny too.. Jeff was very relaxed which hasnt always been the case with the more 'interactive' audiences... genuinly loves it in Dublin and Vicar St and it showed.

yeah, I arrived at around 8.20 and was a bit annoyed to see field report had already started when it said 'show 8.30' on my ticket but certainly they were excellent indeed.
    His banter was good alright but some of the audience 'participation' was offputting at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Great gig last night. The new album sounds very good played live with a full band. Nice varied setlist too. The acoustic performances were spine tingling, particularly I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.

Good to hear Give Back The Keys To My Heart but I was hoping for more Uncle Tupelo stuff. Can’t complain though!

Jeff sure was relaxed all evening. Poor Spencer was the butt of some jokes!

Field Report were an excellent support also.

sweetie wrote: »
    yeah, I arrived at around 8.20 and was a bit annoyed to see field report had already started when it said 'show 8.30' on my ticket but certainly they were excellent indeed.
    His banter was good alright but some of the audience 'participation' was offputting at times.
    Yeah twitter is the only place you can trust for show times. Tickets often printed months in advance before they have a proper schedule

Great show. I would have preferred a few more Wilco songs with the band but still.
    About 4 songs in, this wan sat down in fonrt of us at the side, she proceeded to take photos for the next hour or more, constanly. Flash, beep and all on the the camera. What a twat. She was asked to stop a few times, but didnt seem to take any notice
    Had to move in front of her after a few songs.
    She let out a shout of approval when he started Jesus etc, then left straight after. Hardocre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

great gig. tweedy was in top form. some of the banter was priceless. loved the solo arrangements of the wilco tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Waltzwave is the way forward alright! I didn't get there in time to see much of Field Report but was happy with the selection from Tweedy & Co. Nice to hear some of the Mavis Staples stuff as well. I was so happy they finished with California Stars I might have walked out on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Great show. I would have preferred a few more Wilco songs with the band but still.
    About 4 songs in, this wan sat down in fonrt of us at the side, she proceeded to take photos for the next hour or more, constanly. Flash, beep and all on the the camera. What a twat. She was asked to stop a few times, but didnt seem to take any notice
    She let out a shout of approval when he started Jesus etc, then left straight after. Hardocre

I have more hate for those people than anyone ever.

Jesus Etc-ers is my name for them.

Plus I always hate that song on acoustic, really loses all it's soul in that format imo

lordgoat wrote: »
    Jesus Etc-ers is my name for them.

Plus I always hate that song on acoustic, really loses all it's soul in that format imo
    I agree. When I saw Jeff on his own in 2006, he said he didn't want to play it acoustic as it's rhythm n blues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Luckily got free tickets a few hours before the gig. Went to see them in London in November and I thought that was an outstanding gig. This was just as good, a pretty similar set and good form from Jeff. I don't really like the faster California Stars though, but that's a personal preference.

I knew it'd be Tweedy album songs, Jeff on his own, then a few J. Tweedy penned(not necessarily Wilco) so was prepared. Thought the info might have been advertised as it was for London

Ohhh dear... Anyway Why did you think the breakdown of the set should be advertised ? They did pretty much all of the Tweedy record, which is in essence what they are touring, a Jeff solo slot wiith Wilco stuff and some cool covers then the band came back and played some more. What do people expect ? A Jeff solo show ? just the new stuff ? A Wilco cover band ? Let's not pander to the lowest common denominator here, some people will never be pleased regardless, half of enjoying a gig is something unpredictable ie. setlist etc, which you might as well announce in advance and the Jesus ETC people can decide if they want to go ? it's not ****in some old has been here.. And XXX will do a set of new songs, followed by the standards, there will be a brief interval where chicken and chips will be served, bring your own comode ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Because as I said that's what they did for their gig in London (as in gave advanced in for and precise stage times).

Made no difference to my enjoyment. Only the man with his noisy twix or kinder bueno beside me did that

You think because they did it in London they should have done it in a Dublin ? Sound reasoning I'm sure. They being who btw ? The advertising of the show in London would have been in the hands of the promoter. Who I gather were not one in the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

recording up on dime

Advertisement