Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone planted for next year yet?

• 27-10-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭

I've planted small spring cabbages (grown from seed in the greenhouse) last week. Today I planted 100 garlic cloves (about a years supply, using garlic grown this summer with plenty left over) and Egyptian onions .
    I planted loads of Pansies around the borders and Snowdrops, Narcissus and Crocus's as well
    I've still got Pak Choi growing in the greenhouse but I think that will be the last of this years produce.
    Anyone else got next years garden in mind?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Have planted some Peas to over winter ... Supposed to give earlier crop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jezko wrote: »
    Have planted some Peas to over winter ... Supposed to give earlier crop.

I'd forgotten you could plant those too, will do that next weekend I think, thanks!
    Last year I planted broad beans - Aquadulce Claudia but my family didn't like them, they were a little bitter and didn't really crop heavy though that could have been because i didn't put enough feed in the ground before planting them. This variety is supposed to be nice though so maybe it wasn't the right spot or conditions where it was sown here.
    What variety did you sow?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Just focusing on spring bulbs at the moment, tulips,crocus,snowdrops,muscari and alliums.
    Might try some dahlias after bulbs finish flowering but snails/earwigs seem to destroy them on me.
    Don't really want to use pellets.
    Might sow indoors so they have a better chance
    Looking forward to spring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've my garlic down as well. And some spuds. Still harvesting tomatos and beetroot. 100 garlic is a lot! I've done about twenty five. Maybe I've underestimated... I did 10 last year (split one bulb) and it wasn't enough.

Pak choi is an interesting one, i use a lot of that but have never grown it.

I got loads of old dead shrubs uprooted this year... So have been using bulbs to fill some gaps, as well as seedlings. Mr middleton special offer caught my eye, i've done a whole allium bed, 5 varieties gone in there. My seed trays are jammed with echincea, various versions. All just getting their first true leaves. Might have gone a bit early with them. Trying to decide whether to plonk them outside for some hardening off, or to let the, grow on a bit and pot up for further boost for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Have done my garlic and over wintering onions so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

can garlic be planted outside? and if so what is the deadline for planting it?

peadar76 wrote: »

Yes it can. Anytime from now until end Nov.....Some people even plant in Spring, but this leaves you with a shorter growing season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Sowed about 30 garlic cloves and a double drill of aquadulce broadbeans. Also sowed a drill of winter spinach but not sure how it will do especially with ground frost. Anyone got any experience with it?

I've planted it in January before which was a bit late but was ok, garlic likes a good frost to get going. The later planted the later harvested. But anytime now until the end of November is pretty much optimal so plenty of time left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

100 garlic cloves for one year? two bulbs a week is a lot of garlic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've the usual garlic and onions in. I am planting 50ish cloves as I want to retain some for replanting next year in the hope that I can become self sufficient in one crop at least!

I'll be planting broad beans soon.

The best crop of spinach I ever got was planting in early winter in a small plastic greenhouse and planting out in early spring so I'll be trying to repeat that. I'll try some pak choi too under plastic too as it does better in cooler weather.

I have spring cabbage seeds but had such a disaster with cabbage this year that I'm not sure sure if it's worth the hassle. Someone try to convince me.

If I had a polytunnel, the list would be far more extensive, particularly in the salad leaf department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

I have 100 cloves of garlic sat aswell. 8 spaces left and hope to have my own seed for next year. I dont think I will set anymore veg until spring time. Might try some rubarb.

200 snowdrops 250 native bluebells and native wildflower seed in a few sections around the veg garden.

Going to try a few no dig beds next year and trying to get them ready as im clearing the rest of this years carrots and beetroot.

Thinking of getting some buddleja for the butterflies for next year. Is it hard to keep under control anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

What's a no dig bed?

Can I just use garlic cloves from the supermarket or do I need special seed garlic from a garden centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

What's a no dig bed?

Can I just use garlic cloves from the supermarket or do I need special seed garlic from a garden centre?

This lad will explain it better than me if you have a few minutes to spare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATC3rG6NbQ

I asked the same question a few week ago. This will help http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91582017

If you dont like the idea of shop bought stuff try west cork garlic they sell it local and to quick crop but its pricey if you go online.

100 garlic cloves for one year? two bulbs a week is a lot of garlic.
    Garlic is the one crop most people can be self sufficient in. Our garden is quite small but 100 garlic doesn't take much space at all, they can be planted fairly close together. Out of the hundred maybe i'll get 80 or harvestable bulbs, I'll keep maybe 15 of them for next year. That leaves about 65 ish left, some big some small. We use garlic every day in our cooking so this is about a years useage without scrimping. Any extra I just give to family or friends.
    I'd also recommend keeping an eye out in Lidl and Aldi for elephant garlic, last year Lidl did it for a 59c i think for a bulb which was a steal compared to online prices. I planted them and they were a big hit this year, will definitely be repeating if Lidl do them again (only planted a few last year as an experiment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Still going with spring bulbs.
    Tried garlic before but didn't have much luck, might try again.
    Trying to decide whether to overwinter my pepper and black tomato plants.

Frito wrote: »
    Still going with spring bulbs.
    Tried garlic before but didn't have much luck, might try again.
    Trying to decide whether to overwinter my pepper and black tomato plants.

Never bothered trying tomatoes but will be overwintering some chilli plants. Probably won't bother with sweet peppers either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just checked out my strawberry patch, loads of runners have taken root. I assume some will survive overwinter. I've got some fleece, that I usually throw over my Daphnes, would the strawberries benefit from it?

Strawberries are tough as old boots, I wouldn't worry about them, they can be quite invasive to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Spring cabbage, broccoli, peas( lettuce, mustard, rocket,mizuna and scallions in the greenhouse).
    Hardy annuals in a nursery bed, antirrinhums and lupins potted up in the greenhouse.
    Spuds in storage until Mr Rat came to visit. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement