Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Sea to Summit

Options
  • 27-10-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Anyone know the exact distance of the first leg of the sea to summit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Seen that but wondering has anyone GPS'd the route for exact distance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Haven't done the first run leg but not sure I'd trust the official distance. They state 5k for the Croagh Patrick leg (supreme distance). I did it today and my Garmin recorded 7.44k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Did it last year..measured just under 13k from start to car park at croagh patrick and just over 7.2k to the top and back to the car park of croagh patrick....then my battery died : (

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrs. poppins

Didn't measure run but cycle from T1 on quays to Croagh Patrick car park on Garmin was 8.8k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Anyone happen to be selling an entry to this ?

I dont think they will allow an entry to be transferred, but I could be mistaken.

Weather isnt looking too good for Saturday, could be an interesting trip down the mountain!! :eek:

No transfers apparently, they are insisting on photo ID at registration too.
    Hurler85 wrote: »
    I dont think they will allow an entry to be transferred, but I could be mistaken.

Weather isnt looking too good for Saturday, could be an interesting trip down the mountain!! :eek:

I did it on Sat in the rain, unless you're wearing runners with zero grip you'll be fine.

This might be an option...sure to be a few who dont show up

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=807286639329382

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

This might be an option...sure to be a few who dont show up

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=807286639329382

Defo going to give this a go thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Does anyone know the distance for the return cycle in the Spirit event? Notices on the website refer to both 8k & 11k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

just mapmyrun'ed it, close enough to 11k ..

woody1 wrote: »
    just mapmyrun'ed it, close enough to 11k ..

So we go out the coast run, turn right and T-junction and straight to the reek?
    And coming back we don't turn left for coast road? thats 3k further?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

On the way back you cycle up to the t junction with the road to leenane, I think there's a fire station beside it , turn left and then left again to go down to the quay, its 10.83 k on map my run but you could allow a bit either way for error, the distances given are rounded off , so the cycle from the quay to the reek might be a bit more or less than 8 either way there's close to 3 k in it

woody1 wrote: »
    On the way back you cycle up to the t junction with the road to leenane, I think there's a fire station beside it , turn left and then left again to go down to the quay, its 10.83 k on map my run but you could allow a bit either way for error, the distances given are rounded off , so the cycle from the quay to the reek might be a bit more or less than 8 either way there's close to 3 k in it

thanks woody, nice to know whats ahead of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Best of luck tomorrow folks. Hopefully rain holds off....

Brilliantly run event, really enjoyed it, but a seriously tough course. Volunteer marshals around the course were great. Legs really feeling it today. Must train a lot harder for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Great event, my favourite as a package, of the 4 races I did this year. That 25% hill at the back of the Reek destroyed me. I will be back.

Anyone notice the timing issues on the splits on Sports timing. There are 4 or 5 beginners/intermediates in the top 50 that have cycle 2 around 30 minutes. The winner did that section in a 01:07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Anyone notice the timing issues on the splits on Sports timing. There are 4 or 5 beginners/intermediates in the top 50 that have cycle 2 around 30 minutes. The winner did that section in a 01:07.

Looking at the results, 5 people who registered for the supreme did the spirit event. Pretty obvious that it needs to be corrected.

Great event & weekend

• Advertisement

I

If they correct, I will move up 5 places, more lovely msai points, 😎

I had issues with my timing...my official time was over 1minute quicker than my watch. Why was the first timing mat at the base of the first steep climb on the first run rather than at the start of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

I had issues with my timing...my official time was over 1minute quicker than my watch. Why was the first timing mat at the base of the first steep climb on the first run rather than at the start of the race?

Aha, that explains my much quicker than expected first run! Knocked 2.5 mins off last year and I knew I hadn't improved my running that much:-) where was the mat - at the bottom of the cattle pass? I didn't even notice.
    I wonder about the transition times too - was T1 time counted in the first cycle time? Thought I would have done that leg a bit quicker.
    However, it was a fantastic day, weather, organisation and craic couldn't have been any better. Well done to all involved.

Any chance this could be the last Sea2Summit to incorporate the reek due to the increased objections as using it in adventure races?

Or is there a chance it mightn't be used this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Well at least they will always have alliteration.

Sea to Shoulder - still has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

At the moment the mountain is not under the control of any group. Ie Mayo coco or Opw so it cannot be stopped. Trying to find a solution to the responsibility of ownership has been going on for decades. Nobody in Westport is going to pull the plug on the 1000s of bed nights for S2S or GF.
    There will be lots of talk about the erosion but Euros talk louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Completely off topic but a €1 tourist tax on every bednight in Westport would fund a new built path from the carpark.

You would need mountain access and permission from the landowners but a very very nice alpine style path could be properly built into the mountain.

The path on Diamond Hill is a very good template for what can be done with a little thought - Ok a lot of effort and thought but it is possible.

A masters student gets their thesis on mapping and planning the path, an entrepreneurial local landowner gets a new access point and builds a nice coffee shop, a team of local builders get employment, the original path gets less use, it's a winner (if I do say so myself :) )

Only make the descent for the elite racers even quicker Peter :) the rest of us would still be bounding down with sore quads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Looking for a transfer if anybody cant take part!

Seen as its sold out...

Advertisement