Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Sea to Summit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Davee71

Zzippy wrote: »
    Well I haven't done both either so I wouldn't dream of comparing, but the Maum hill on S2S cycle is one of the few I've ever had to get off and walk up. The KAR cycle is the first leg so your legs are fresh, the S2S cycle comes after climbing Croagh Patrick, so your legs are already tired from that.

I agree. My legs were shattered after coming to from the Reek. I've raced for 5 years, including the Ras (all be it 10 years ago) and the Maum was the first time I ever had to get off and walk :( I was running a 39 x23 and felt under geared for the state my legs were in. this year lighter bike...hopefully stronger and a 36 x 28

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Davee71 wrote: »
    I agree. My legs were shattered after coming to from the Reek. I've raced for 5 years, including the Ras (all be it 10 years ago) and the Maum was the first time I ever had to get off and walk :( I was running a 39 x23 and felt under geared for the state my legs were in. this year lighter bike...hopefully stronger and a 36 x 28

I put a 12-28 cassette on last year and still had to walk, that's with a 50-34 on the front! :o
    Spoke with one guy who races (cycling) and he had a 30 on the rear...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/westport/210441/hourly-weather-forecast/210441?hour=33

wet anyway hopefully only showers the usual debate with myself as to whether to wear rain jacket or not, normally do but then get rid of it asap.. probably wont this time..
    was gonna use the tt bike but listening to the wind and rain blowing round this morning put me off that plan.. stuck the tt bars back on the road bike instead, not going with bike shoes either, flat pedals and runners all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Have a look above before starting. Best of luck to everyone. Bit of breakfast and its all go

yeah just looked at that few minutes ago, looks a lot better than what i was looking at yesterday,
    good luck to all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

AKW wrote: »
    Enjoy!

Jesus.
    Didn't figure on Supreme being that much harder than Spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Savage day for the race. Started grand...had a nightmare going up the reek...very slow and not near enough hill miles done. Once up, was grand for the rest. Got up the hills on the bike and made it back in 4hrs. One of my favourite races. The organisation and stewarding is spot on. Bit of a rest now and then out for a few drinks later. Hope everyone had a good race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Well I haven't done both either so I wouldn't dream of comparing, but the Maum hill on S2S cycle is one of the few I've ever had to get off and walk up. The KAR cycle is the first leg so your legs are fresh, the S2S cycle comes after climbing Croagh Patrick, so your legs are already tired from that.

I can answer my question now, s2s most definitely harder than KAR!! As you said having the cycle after the reek means the cycle is so much harder. First time I've ever had to get off bike!! Last run/shuffle/walk was absolute torture! Got in under 4.5 hrs so happy out, great race and organization, enthusiasm of volunteers was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Great day for the race, but I really should have put more training in. Knees and ankles got very sore coming down the reek. Strength just went have way through the cycle and was a real struggle. Just hobbled along on the last run.
    Did the race in five and half hours, yes not the quickest.
    Lying in bed in castlebar here suffering, recovery will take a few days. Will I be back next year? Oh yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

My knees completely failed me yesterday. Had ITB problem on the left all year, even resorted to cortisone shot to help it, but both knees went coming down the Reek yesterday. Hobbled/walked most of the last run. Finished out of pure stubbornness. Think I may stick to cycling events next year. Pain levels today are rather uncomfortable...

On the plus side, S2S is a brilliant race, really well organised and the marshals are fantastic, as well as all the locals out cheering us on. And well done to the winner, I know him and how hard he trains, delighted he finally got the win.

Other than practice, has anyone any advice on improving descent times for the mountain?
    I lost a lot of places on the way down and would like to do something about this for next year.

The Supreme was quite the Sufferfest. Minded the legs for first run, cycle went fine, back stiff when starting Croagh Patrick but loosened out. Drank energy drink and sucked a couple of gels which helped. Took a silly line coming down from the Summit and lost a few places. Definitely made the right choice going in the advanced group as there was lots less 'traffic' going up.
    Cycle was tough and unfortunately had to walk about 20m of the last climb. The marshal at the top was great, gave me some jelly babies which then turned my stomach and that fecked me up until I got onto the main road into westport. Cramp city kicked in them, calves and right hip. The final wobble / run was tough, cramps in quads. Finished 3:54. Tough race. Like others have said, marhsals were super and upbeat all day, lots of support from the locals too.
    Legs are in a heap now and I'm cursing the person who invested stairs!
    Well done all finishers, the winning tome of 2:47 is just phenomenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Other than practice, has anyone any advice on improving descent times for the mountain?
    I lost a lot of places on the way down and would like to do something about this for next year.

Other than actually practicing climbs, I’d suggest building up gluts, calves and quads (all of which I felt slowed me down – just not having that extra bit of power, which the elite had in abundance)

I’d just like to reiterate what a few people have said here – This was an excellent race, so well marshaled and organized, with a really buzz around. I see hundreds, upon hundreds of photos online – clearly a lot of work was done and it was a joy to be a part of.
    I said coming down the mountain, no way was I going to do it again – but honestly, I will. Behind it all, I enjoyed every minute.
    Well done s2s .. see ye all next year!!

The Supreme was quite the Sufferfest. Minded the legs for first run, cycle went fine, back stiff when starting Croagh Patrick but loosened out. Drank energy drink and sucked a couple of gels which helped. Took a silly line coming down from the Summit and lost a few places. Definitely made the right choice going in the advanced group as there was lots less 'traffic' going up.
    Cycle was tough and unfortunately had to walk about 20m of the last climb. The marshal at the top was great, gave me some jelly babies which then turned my stomach and that fecked me up until I got onto the main road into westport. Cramp city kicked in them, calves and right hip. The final wobble / run was tough, cramps in quads. Finished 3:54. Tough race. Like others have said, marhsals were super and upbeat all day, lots of support from the locals too.
    Legs are in a heap now and I'm cursing the person who invented stairs!
    Well done all finishers, the winning time of 2:47 is just phenomenal!

Other than actually practicing climbs, I’d suggest building up gluts, calves and quads (all of which I felt slowed me down – just not having that extra bit of power, which the elite had in abundance)

Lack of power wasn't the problem, it was lack of skill.
    Physically, I could have went faster but I was falling and half-wrecking myself enough as it was, while plenty of fellas flew past me.

I could have kissed that lad at the top of the hill with the jelly-babies and fig-rolls :D

re going down.. if your westport based or close at all for next year then practice is your best bet.. theres a couple of paths off to the right on the lower sections of the mountain that have less traffic so you can make up a bit of time youl probably have seen some people running on them, one from about halfway down and one to the side of the rocky section just above the statue..

good trail runners if you dont already have them will help a small bit but most of it is practice
    but there are people that are naturally better at it..confidence, fearlessness, balance , strength, all of the above, im not too bad, but my brother in law was 4 minutes faster descending in the short race, hes just naturally better at it.. i was close to 16 minutes he was 12 25 percent faster !

descending the cone is very tricky ive had to do it for gaelforce a few times and i always get passed by loads, but i can live with that, not somewhere id like to fall

in terms of the actual race this weekend was my 4th or 5th time ( i have to check ) and as usual it was brilliantly run everything was on the ball, seemed to be more supporters than usual around on the course too which was great

woody1 wrote: »
    re going down.. if your westport based or close at all for next year then practice is your best bet.. theres a couple of paths off to the right on the lower sections of the mountain that have less traffic so you can make up a bit of time youl probably have seen some people running on them, one from about halfway down and one to the side of the rocky section just above the statue..

good trail runners if you dont already have them will help a small bit but most of it is practice
    but there are people that are naturally better at it..confidence, fearlessness, balance , strength, all of the above, im not too bad, but my brother in law was 4 minutes faster descending in the short race, hes just naturally better at it.. i was close to 16 minutes he was 12 25 percent faster !

descending the cone is very tricky ive had to do it for gaelforce a few times and i always get passed by loads, but i can live with that, not somewhere id like to fall

in terms of the actual race this weekend was my 4th or 5th time ( i have to check ) and as usual it was brilliantly run everything was on the ball, seemed to be more supporters than usual around on the course too which was great

Thanks, I'd be a similar enough speed as yourself.
    If I could get myself onto a mountain at the same time as some decent trail runners I'd try to keep up with them, that'd probably help.

I need proper runners too, I was wearing old asics with no grip left on them on Saturday, that didn't help much.
    Any recommendations?

salomon speedcross are popular the yellow and black ones that a lot of people had

i have saucony xodus new for this race and id reccomend them highly i had asics budget trail runners before which had not much more grip than runners and couldnt relax going downhill in them, theyd done about 4 years anyway so i was happy to replace them..

aside from runners training etc... some people are naturally happier to risk it a bit and let the brakes off i think its a large part of it

As mentioned good trail runners, confidence and fearlessness are key in my opinion. Looking at the results I was 374th at the top but 309th at the bottom, really happy with that!

The path to the right about half way down that woody1 mentioned was very muddy and slippery on Saturday, at the time I actually thought it may have cost me time but in reality I don't think it did as the crowds coming up for the spirit race would definitely have slowed me down. I fell twice coming down, both on the first 200m of that path! Lost my garmin watch, presumably on one of the falls so I certainly should have stuck to the main path and just battled the crowds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Other than hard work, there is no substitute for hard work. Sorry, but that's the reality. Practice is the way to get better. Full Stop!

Descending is about a combination of maximum potential leg speed (your fitness speed) and the skillset/headspace to really let fly at it. You get faster leg speed by putting the hard hours of speed training. You get better skills by putting in the hard hours of practicing descending on mountains, preferably in race-like conditions or more extreme.

Thanks, I'd be a similar enough speed as yourself.
    If I could get myself onto a mountain at the same time as some decent trail runners I'd try to keep up with them, that'd probably help.

I need proper runners too, I was wearing old asics with no grip left on them on Saturday, that didn't help much.
    Any recommendations?

Would your legs still have been tired from the marathon?

You still finished in a pretty daycent position. Would you look at doing the IMRA midweek runs during the summer? going to be doing some of them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Really enjoyed the race. Did not push myself hard enough. Surprised I was 26th to the top of croagh Patrick. Lost a few places coming down.

Stupidly bonked with 10km to go on the bike. But just pushed it out.

Pretty slow last run than I would have liked. Still finished in 35th place.

I bought a pair of inov8 trail roc 245. Super light. Really a trail racing flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

woody1 wrote: »
    salomon speedcross are popular the yellow and black ones that a lot of people had

Have a pair of Speedcross and am not impressed at all with them. Find that the insoles move around alot in them when descending quickly. One of my training partners had the same problem but got it sorted out with a pair of insoles that were given to him by the shop where he bought the shoes. I, on the other hand had no such luck with the place I purchased. Had them 6 months or so before it became a problem so didn't kick up a stink. My brother on the other hand swears by INOV8s so might try them next.

As for descending more quickly, practice worked for me. Try finding a short sharp hill with a bit of run-off at the bottom and use it for your hill repeats training, slowly build up your descent speed and you'll be amazed how you progress. The bit of run-off gives a bit of a safety net in case you have a problem. Did a lot of this early in the year and it made a massive difference for me (made it done in just over 20 minutes this year as opposed to 27 last time I was up there)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

My legs are still sore this morning, was planning an early morning run,:but felt I am still too sore and it might be counterproductive. I am foam rolling, is there anything else I should do to aid recovery. I did the supreme , I was up and down in 1:08 only 2 minutes quicker than last year, but I knocked 22 minutes off my overall time last year. on the descent I went right after the black stake about 50m from the top, but I couldn't move as fast as If I stuck to main track, some guys just bombed it past me, I just couldn't commit to the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

AdpRo wrote: »
    I fell twice coming down, both on the first 200m of that path! Lost my garmin watch, presumably on one of the falls so I certainly should have stuck to the main path and just battled the crowds!

Sea2Summit Facebook page have a photo of a very boggy looking Garmin 310xt that was found on the course. Might be yours AdpRo

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Sea2Summit Facebook page have a photo of a very boggy looking Garmin 310xt that was found on the course. Might be yours AdpRo

Yes it was mine! I saw it on facebook yesterday and got onto them, delighted to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Anyone know what actually happened with the disqualifications this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hurler85 wrote: »
    Anyone know what actually happened with the disqualifications this year?

There's a bit of chatter on another thread about it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101656455&postcount=16

Advertisement