Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Playoff: UCD v Galway. October 27th & 31st

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ET have the attendance as 2890

I really hope a good deal of them come back at season's start. A good vibrant provincial spread would be great for the League. Cork have savage numbers all season, hopefully the Market Fields can spur the people of Limerick to get onside too. Rovers have a top of the range stadium in Tallaght. Dundalk are defending champs and historically it's a good football town. Add in a successful season for Derry and Pat's and that's a potential nice spread IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Congrats Tommy Dunne and congrats all involved with Galway FC. I hope you can stabilise in the premier now.

And you have rid us of UCD :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Gutted.
    Was always going to be difficult from the start losing our main centre halfs from last season in both Dave O'Connor and Mick Leahy. But I just can't help looking back at what may have been. Last minute winner for Pats, last minute leveller for Limerick, dominating the first half in Athlone but not scoring only to implode in the second and give them their first win. Even what may have been had we Benson and Creevey on Monday.

But feck it, division one it is. Think we've a decent chance depending on who we can keep hold of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Congrats to Galway. Looking forward to them visiting Richmond next season.

Hard luck to UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Get the fk in! Great atmosphere new stand full old stand about 90 pc full cagey first half.Galway started well then ucd had good spell,nerves everywhere on and off pitch, goal was lovely especially timing just before half time. Galway in the second half played some lovely football, I have been at matches for years and we are defo playing good football now, that matters for the crowd to come back next season. Anyway stone cold sober I have to amend that! We are going up we are going up !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Some great stuff played on the night by GUFC, small,intricate moves which led to chances and caused havoc in the UCD backline. Could have been 6 in the end but mostly due to UCD completely losing the run of themselves after going two down. Great to be back in the top division. Crowd was at least 400 or 500 more as kids go free and i assume arent counted in, both stands were all but full, loads standing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good to see Galway back.

Its a nice away trip to think of for next season.

Unlucky UCD but reckon they do well next year if they re group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Some of the stuff written online is unfair to UCD in a league where low support is hardly a rarity but it's good to see Galway back in the top fight.

Congrats and hard luck UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

anncoates wrote: »
    Some of the stuff written online a bit unfair to UCD but it's good to see Galway back in the top fight.

Usual ****e from idiots.

Bermo, Bolger, Byrne, Finn didnt come from Cherry Orchard to be among the the best players in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Will Ryan Manning make it to the top flight with Galway? I hear Everton have been over to watch him a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

To be fair, nobody on here has had a go at UCD. Actually, I find they're quite well respected on this forum. Galway as a club and a city (read: away day) is infinitely more exciting to your average match going fan though. UCD have been in the top tier on merit whenever they've been there and should they be back, they'll have earned it. People are entitled to their personal preferences too I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Usual ****e from idiots.

Bermo, Bolger, Byrne, Finn didnt come from Cherry Orchard to be among the the best players in the league.

This.

Delighted for Galway but UCD have a tidy little ground and produce decent players that play ball the right way. Giving them grief when students don't bother their arse going to games on their doorstep is a bit rich given the general attitude of the Irish public to all our clubs.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    To be fair, nobody on here has had a go at UCD. .

Meant more online in general tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Could have been more for Galway. Great atmosphere there! You'd forget Manning and Byrne are so young. Looking forward to next season!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Congrats Galway, commiserations UCD, I suspect you'll be back sooner rather than later.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Congrats Galway, commiserations UCD, I suspect you'll be back sooner rather than later.

Yep.
    I'd never run UCD down and would be glad to have them back anytime.
    Delighted though for Galway and also for Tommy Dunne.Well done Galway and sorry to UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Will Ryan Manning make it to the top flight with Galway? I hear Everton have been over to watch him a couple of times.

Find that a little odd. Think Shanahan has far greater potential

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

deisedude wrote: »

Really? He was useless when at Dundalk (although very young and a shocking side he played in)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

deisedude wrote: »

Nah, Manning is the main one to watch there. He'll be in England once he finishes school by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Front 3 for galway were brilliant. Tactics by galway won them the game. Didn't play vinny flah as a target man, played an extra midfielder instead .

Front 3 had too much pace and invention, especially the wingers. Wouldn't be at all surprised if an English team gambled on manning.

Paddy Barrett at the back was exceptional too. One of the best centre half,performances I've ever seen. Different class.

Galway play ball the right way too, keeper plays it out from the back. Hopefully we don't go straight back down next year. With a centre midfielder or too, I'd be happy with keeping the rest of the team together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Stephen Walsh is ridiculously good at heading the ball down to a team mate.
    I just wish himself and Paddy would do less of the chesting down the ball instead of just heading it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Really? He was useless when at Dundalk (although very young and a shocking side he played in)

He was absolutely superb last night, my man of the match. Just looked at the galway fc site, I actually thought he was a bit younger than he is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

His second half performance made him man of the match. Was quiet enough as galway were nervous in the first half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

anncoates wrote: »
    This.

Delighted for Galway but UCD have a tidy little ground and produce decent players that play ball the right way. Giving them grief when students don't bother their arse going to games on their doorstep is a bit rich given the general attitude of the Irish public to all our clubs.

Meant more online in general tonight.
    Yeah don't think anyone here really disrespects UCD. We get the ribbing about having pretty much zero fans but we take it in good spirits (my favourite is "UCD fans please stay behind after the game as your taxi has been delayed"). You get the odd moron on Facebook mostly coming out with crap like we shouldn't be in the league without realising that their team and the league itself would be much worse off without us in it as a lot of younger players wouldn't get the experience of first team football before moving on to better things.

To be fair on the students of the college, Friday nights are probably the worst nights possible for us to draw any sort of a crowd with a large proportion of the student population heading back to their home towns that evening. Also, the campus is near deserted during the summer months. Last Monday's game was probably the biggest home crowd we had for a good while with a combination of it being a week night during term time and it being free entry for UCD students.

The head of the supporters club works tirelessly every season to try and increase attendances and get a bit of singing and colour form the home fans and he doesn't really get the credit he deserves for that.

Don't really blame other fans for preferring to see Galway come up as obviously they've a much bigger fanbase and it adds to the diversity of the Premier League. Also it's much easier for fans of the likes of Limerick and Sligo to get to. But I hope we'll be back in the not too distant future. Just hoping we're not stripped to the bare bones before next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yeah don't think anyone here really disrespects UCD. We get the ribbing about having pretty much zero fans but we take it in good spirits (my favourite is "UCD fans please stay behind after the game as your taxi has been delayed"). You get the odd moron on Facebook mostly coming out with crap like we shouldn't be in the league without realising that their team and the league itself would be much worse off without us in it as a lot of younger players wouldn't get the experience of first team football before moving on to better things.

To be fair on the students of the college, Friday nights are probably the worst nights possible for us to draw any sort of a crowd with a large proportion of the student population heading back to their home towns that evening. Also, the campus is near deserted during the summer months. Last Monday's game was probably the biggest home crowd we had for a good while with a combination of it being a week night during term time and it being free entry for UCD students.

The head of the supporters club works tirelessly every season to try and increase attendances and get a bit of singing and colour form the home fans and he doesn't really get the credit he deserves for that.

Don't really blame other fans for preferring to see Galway come up as obviously they've a much bigger fanbase and it adds to the diversity of the Premier League. Also it's much easier for fans of the likes of Limerick and Sligo to get to. But I hope we'll be back in the not too distant future. Just hoping we're not stripped to the bare bones before next season.

Give students points towards an exam for attending games.

Considering the stupid courses UCD gives to the players for playing for them, its not that stupid an idea.

Pats in bed with Maynooth and the Collingwood cup will stay there as long as our under 19 team play for them.

I wanted UCD to stay up.

Advertisement