Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimmage to Earlsfort terrace

Options
  • 27-10-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Moving to Dublin to Kimmage this week and starting a new job in Deloitte in Earlsfort terrace wondering of best way to go to and from, with a 9am start. Will Dublin bus have a bus lanes in that direction? or will I be killed in traffic. The new Dublin bus app looks pretty sweet!

I was thinking of walking or cycling but google maps states 47/15 mins than I arrive sweaty and maybe soaked wet weather remitting, neither really appeals to me. Kinda regretting not sticking to luas green line as I had planned!

Any help be appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Where in Kimmage? The 9 would drop you at Camden St, about 5-10 minutes walk to Earlsfort Terrace from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Its lower kimmage think stop is called poddle park.. Suppose its my best bet. Need to do a few test runs to figure out traffic. Anyone know the cost per week\month approx.

Be €1:95 each way if you get a Leap card which I strongly suggest, €2:15 cash. It is pretty walkable, you'll know when you get your bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I would cycle it. It's nearly all downhill on the way into town, you wouldn't need to break a sweat. Down the Lower Kimmage Road, right onto the cyclepath at Harolds Cross Bridge beside the canal.

wyndham wrote: »
    I would cycle it. It's nearly all downhill on the way into town, you wouldn't need to break a sweat. Down the Lower Kimmage Road, right onto the cyclepath at Harolds Cross Bridge beside the canal.

Was finding the thought of cycling in Dublin kinda daunting but if there's cycle paths a good chunk of the way I should rethink it I suppose..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    Was finding the thought of cycling in Dublin kinda daunting but if there's cycle paths a good chunk of the way I should rethink it I suppose..

The right turn at the canal there can be a bit hairy, it's hard to see cars coming from the opposite direction (they come over the hump of the bridge before you see them) but cars behind waiting to turn can be impatient, not realising it takes a bike longer to cross the junction than a car would! I did that route no bother for seven years and agree it's a grand cycle but you'd want your wits about you on that turn. Alternatively go straight over the bridge and turn right at the next junction onto south circular, straight all the way then right around the bleeding horse and across hatch street onto earlsfort terrace, but again expect some jockeying for lane position.

The right turn at the canal there can be a bit hairy, it's hard to see cars coming from the opposite direction (they come over the hump of the bridge before you see them) but cars behind waiting to turn can be impatient, not realising it takes a bike longer to cross the junction than a car would! I did that route no bother for seven years and agree it's a grand cycle but you'd want your wits about you on that turn. Alternatively go straight over the bridge and turn right at the next junction onto south circular, straight all the way then right around the bleeding horse and across hatch street onto earlsfort terrace, but again expect some jockeying for lane position.

Cheers man, some good tips :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP - use www.a-b.ie or download the NTA Journey Planner app for smartphones.

Put in exact addresses and it should give you the best options timewise.

Alternatively use google maps directions facility and switch it to public transport option.

As pointed out the 9 will leave you 5 minutes walk away, at Camden Street from D & T.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I live on Lwr Kimmage road too and on a day like today walking is a nice option! It is about 40/45 mins, but its a really nice walk on a clear crisp day! It really wakes you up!

That or the bike is the best option, the bus (83 or 9) can be very slow on a bad traffic day, you'll definitely get there quicker by bike, like the previous poster said I would skip the right hand turn before the bridge and either take the turn on top of the bridge (down the inside of the canal) or take the turn further on at south circular road, much safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

+1 on the cycling. I done a cycle a few kilometres more for a few years and it passed that route. It's all downhill or flat on the way in so you'll hardly break a sweat. Again watch out for the turn at harolds cross bridge.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    OP - use www.a-b.ie or download the NTA Journey Planner app for smartphones.

Put in exact addresses and it should give you the best options timewise.

Alternatively use google maps directions facility and switch it to public transport option.

As pointed out the 9 will leave you 5 minutes walk away, at Camden Street from D & T.

We sorted that in the second post :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Birneybau wrote: »
    We sorted that in the second post :confused:

I was highlighting the NTA Journey Planner - many people don't realise it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭chubba1984

As a person who did that commute for a few years, cycling is the best option - Deloitte have shower facilities in the office.

Appreciate all the responses. Decided cycling must be the way to go!

However I don't have a bike, il look into the cycle to work scheme once I start.

Il either walk or get a leap card and bus it till I sort my new wheels :-)

Thanks again!!

Advertisement