Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which house?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Hi all, 3 houses here that I have looked at and yet am thorn between them all. Hopefully ye may be able to assist in helping me make a decision. All decent well built modern houses in safe and secure estates that would seem to mainly consist of owner occupied family homes. In my opinion there is decent enough value for money with all three

House 1 This house could be bought for €118k, possibly €117k, not sure on that as my highest offer was €116k which was rejected. Certainly could be bought for €118k though. At the moment it is being rented out but on a rolling monthly contract so the tenants could be gone at a months notice after I'd go sale agreed. Quite a few photos there but has being freshly painted inside within the last few months. Has some basic furniture included in the sale. What you see for the most part. Its in near move in condition really to be fair. The finish is not super for the most part but could get you going too. For example the kitchen units look low enough rate, cheap enough looking laminate flooring in downstairs bedroom and sitting room; carpet on the stairs and upper landing looks grotty enough at this stage and should be replaced soon enough by right. Cooker, fridge, washing machine and tumble dryer included in sale.

House 2 Only 5 doors up from house 1. Vendor seems to be very pretty firm on €120k here. Layout and floor space would be identical to house 1. There are tenants in this house also and they are nearly 2 months into a 6 month lease at present. Unlikely I'd be getting vacant possession here but the remainder of the lease would form part of the sale contract and however many months left to go on it that rent would be payable to myself from when I'd become the owner of the house. Distinct lack of photos here but a decent enough bit of furniture would be included in the sale of this house also and overall the standard of the furniture and the finish inside is somewhat better than house 1. Solid kitchen units albeit painted a very odd red colour. Could be sanded and repainted I'm sure. Other than that there is a right dodgy looking lino floor in the kitchen also. Again, fridge, cooker, washing machine and tumble dryer included in sale. Overall looks higher standard of finish than house 1 and near move in condition also but a few bits and pieces would need replacing in time. I had reservations about what the tenants would be like but I met them when viewing and they seem very decent people in fairness and are keeping the place clean. The lady in the house even did some paining of rooms inside....to me a good sign.

House 3 In an estate that adjoins the estate that houses 1 and 2 are in. The price in the ad of €125k is for the house unfurnished. The price they are willing to close at for the house furnished with whats there is €130k - thats not including the fridge freezer for some reason. Kitchen is solid oak included is the cooker and washing machine but no tumble dryer there. The level of finish in the house would seem a good step up from houses 1 and 2 and all is in very good decorative order throughout with a considerable shot of good furniture included, all upstairs bedrooms being furnished with the downstairs bedroom being empty. House seems somewhat fresher than the other 2. Carpet on stairs and landing looks new and don't think a fire was never even lit in the house. House was never rented out and has being vacant for some time. It has very much the same floorspace and layout as houses 1 and 2, just different design at front really as far as I can see. EA tells me there should be no problem in completing a quick hassle free sale here. Is it worth €10k more than house 2 or €12/3 k more than house 1? - I'm not sure.

If I must be critical the estate in which house 1 and 2 are in is probably a marginally nicer estate with all the houses being semi-detached or detached. Unlike the estate in which house 3 is in which has semi-detached, detached and terraced houses. Also a few vacant houses in this estate but definatley not a ghost estate either and it is a somewhat bigger estate. House 3 is at the back of the estate with a big green field behind it that cannot be developed in the future. Houses 1 and 2 are overlooked by other houses at the rear.

So folks which house would get your vote all things considered? Sorry my post is very long and drawn out but want to provide as much info as possible as lets face it, theres not a lot to differentiate them and all have plusses and minuses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

PS - All three houses have a small shed in the back garden and I need a house with a downstairs bedroom as would have a relative staying from time to time who is a wheelchair user.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mortgage? 1 and 2 are out then unless vacant.

House 1 has a laneway beside it with what looks like no access to the rear, or awkward access through the side? Bad layout tbh. The laneway and layout would devalue it in my mind. Especially the laneway. 55 is up for sale as well. 52 sold last year as well. Coincidence or something else?

House 2 has no info online.

House 3 has a open rear with a powerline right behind it. Whatever is behind it would influence my decision and a powerline would influence others.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

+ for me
    House 1: Seems in good knick! The garden would annoy me but its all cosmetic work!
    House 2: Not enough info :/
    House 3: I like the shape of the front of it more than the others and the drive already tarmacked! Garden has very little effort to go into it, looks more cosy than the others just from the pictures.

- for me:
    House 1: That lane way could be dodgy even just for litter going into your yard, young fellas etc!
    House 2: Kitchen a bit vibrant for me but again cosmetic! Not much to go on other than that
    House 3: Kitchen just appears a bit smaller than the others- maybe because the fridge is there. The powerline could be annoying but its personal preference. Maybe plant a tree?

I wouldn't go for 55 because of the garage- personally I'd like it converted!

If it was between 1 and 2 I would go for house 2 just because of that walkway. If it was between all of them, house 3 but try break them down a bit on furnishing:D but you have to factor in the tenants and price etc

If I was to put an offer on 3 of them tomorrow I'd go

House 1: 116.5k FINAL OFFER let them sit
    House 2: 117k-120k; 120k removed from the market immediately
    House 3: 123k; unfurnished (128k furnished) I don't think its worth 10-12k more than the other two- maybe 2-5k.

Cuddlesworth thanks for your reply and input
    Mortgage? 1 and 2 are out then unless vacant.

I am buying from savings whichever house of the three it would be...no mortgage whatsoever
    House 1 has a laneway beside it with what looks like no access to the rear, or awkward access through the side? Bad layout tbh. The laneway and layout would devalue it in my mind. Especially the laneway. 55 is up for sale as well. 52 sold last year as well. Coincidence or something else?

That is not actually a laneway beside house 1 Cuddleworth. Its just a small green area with a footpath going through the centre of it partway down...leading no where as that green area is walled all around....3 walls and then more houses above green area...all the same estate. You would be forgiven for thinking its a laneway leading to another estate/ road etc but definately is not. Bit of a rare arrangement really to be fair. Worst case scenario I think you could potentially get a wee bit of anti-social behaviour in the green area...youths smoking and drinking cans maybe. There is access to the rear of the house via the small timber fence you see at the side, in keeping with all the other houses in same estate.

55 is not actually for sale believe it or not as I enquired about this one already about a week ago. Despite this 2 agents continue to advertise it as for sale...not getting that really. In any event it has a garage as opposed to a downstairs bedroom. Conversion to a downstairs bedroom could be close to €10k I'm guessing plus all the added inconvenience of potentially living in a building site for a spell. Rules it out in my book even if it were for sale. 52 sold for €142k last year I see on PPR alright. Its a 4 bed semi-detached like 56 and 61
    House 2 has no info online.
    Very limited info alright. I have tried to provide info on this one as best I could Cuddlesworth having viewed it last week.
    House 3 has a open rear with a powerline right behind it. Whatever is behind it would influence my decision and a powerline would influence others.

Apart from the powerline behind the house its just a big green field behind it with some livestock in there at the moment. Don't think the powerline would influence my decision unless there is something thats not dawning on me at the moment?

Cuddlesworth thanks for your reply and input

I am buying from savings whichever house of the three it would be...no mortgage whatsoever

That is not actually a laneway beside house 1 Cuddleworth. Its just a small green area with a footpath going through the centre of it partway down...leading no where as that green area is walled all around....3 walls and then more houses above green area...all the same estate. You would be forgiven for thinking its a laneway leading to another estate/ road etc but definately is not. Bit of a rare arrangement really to be fair. Worst case scenario I think you could potentially get a wee bit of anti-social behaviour in the green area...youths smoking and drinking cans maybe. There is access to the rear of the house via the small timber fence you see at the side, in keeping with all the other houses in same estate.

55 is not actually for sale believe it or not as I enquired about this one already about a week ago. Despite this 2 agents continue to advertise it as for sale...not getting that really. In any event it has a garage as opposed to a downstairs bedroom. Conversion to a downstairs bedroom could be close to €10k I'm guessing plus all the added inconvenience of potentially living in a building site for a spell. Rules it out in my book even if it were for sale. 52 sold for €142k last year I see on PPR alright. Its a 4 bed semi-detached like 56 and 61

Very limited info alright. I have tried to provide info on this one as best I could Cuddlesworth having viewed it last week.

Apart from the powerline behind the house its just a big green field behind it with some livestock in there at the moment. Don't think the powerline would influence my decision unless there is something thats not dawning on me at the moment?

If the Powerline doesnt bother you I would go for 3- I'd much rather look out on livestock and a green field than another housing estate- at least you would get a sense of being in the countryside which is lovely.

They are all great prices though- i paid 125k for a similar house in nenagh lately and it wasnt finished to the extent these were- we had to pull everything out and re do it!

• Advertisement

Thanks for response Pinkycharm, appreciated.
    Pinkycharm wrote: »
    + for me
    House 1: Seems in good knick! The garden would annoy me but its all cosmetic work!
    House 2: Not enough info :/
    House 3: I like the shape of the front of it more than the others and the drive already tarmacked! Garden has very little effort to go into it, looks more cosy than the others just from the pictures.

House 1; in not bad order, by no means a palace. What needs to be put in order is very much superficial. Furniture is not superb by any means but would get me on my feet. I feel the house would benefit immensly from a new kitchen in time and new timber floor in the likes of sitting room but maybe thats me being a small bit snobby too. Either way, that would be more cost. Also carpet in stairwell and upper landing rightly grotty so would want to replace that soon enough...more cost.

House 2; I know Pinkycharm. I've added to the little info provided as best I can following my viewing last week.

House 3; Yep having the front tarmacked def a plus for me as less maintenance and more parking space. Others may rather a bit of grass though. It is a nice cosy home and well maintained despite being vacant, no doubt about that.
    - for me:
    House 1: That lane way could be dodgy even just for litter going into your yard, young fellas etc!
    House 2: Kitchen a bit vibrant for me but again cosmetic! Not much to go on other than that
    House 3: Kitchen just appears a bit smaller than the others- maybe because the fridge is there. The powerline could be annoying but its personal preference. Maybe plant a tree?

I wouldn't go for 55 because of the garage- personally I'd like it converted!

House 1; As mentioned previously in response to Cuddlesworth that lane does not actually lead anywhere. It is just a green area at the side of the house, walled all around. The path leads halfway down the green area. The set up is a bit rare though and I could see how the green area may be a potential litter trap or possibly some anti-social behaviour from youths etc

House 2; Yep whomever painted that kitchen was after smoking some funny stuff at the time I reckon! As you say it is cosmetic moreso and as they are solid units they can be repainted no doubt. Whats putting me off house 2 more than anything is the tenants being in situ for the next 4 months at least. Would like to be moved in for new year or even Christmas if possible. I realise that may not even happen with the other 2 though depending on how the sale progresses with each.

House 3; Cooking area may appear a bit small but think the fridge may be the culpurit there. In the other 2 houses the fridge freezer is in the utility. Also the other seating area in the kitchen is possibly a wee bit bigger in house 3 than houses 1 and 2 I reckon so swings and roundabouts maybe. Not sure would the powerline bother me too much being honest but then again you may not be too sure until you move in...
    If it was between 1 and 2 I would go for house 2 just because of that walkway. If it was between all of them, house 3 but try break them down a bit on furnishing:D but you have to factor in the tenants and price etc

If I was to put an offer on 3 of them tomorrow I'd go

House 1: 116.5k FINAL OFFER let them sit
    House 2: 117k-120k; 120k removed from the market immediately
    House 3: 123k; unfurnished (128k furnished) I don't think its worth 10-12k more than the other two- maybe 2-5k.

Being honest I think my decision is very much coming down to furniture included and the tenant situation - Not a hell of a lot to differentiate the houses besides. I think on house 3 they were originally going to sell unfurnished and thats were the asking of €125k comes from. Seemingly they do not want to do that now or not in a position to do that so house is being sold as is with furniture. I have looked at this house twice now and after viewing the first time I was told they wer looking for €140k with furniture. I was more less deciding at that point it was out but for the hell of it I put in an offer of €129k just for the hell of it and thinking it would be rejected anyway (I thought it was worth approx 10-12k more than other 2 considering the better quality furniture and level of finish and also not being rented presently or before). EA came back to me telling me will sell for €130k all included apart from fridge freezer, was slightly shocked as didn't expect that to happen. No way would I have gone anywhere near €140k as its not worth that much more but €130k maybe. Perhaps I should have went in lower had I known that would happen.

Decisions decisions....

If the Powerline doesnt bother you I would go for 3- I'd much rather look out on livestock and a green field than another housing estate- at least you would get a sense of being in the countryside which is lovely.

They are all great prices though- i paid 125k for a similar house in nenagh lately and it wasnt finished to the extent these were- we had to pull everything out and re do it!

Thanks Pinkycharm. I am actually more inclined towards house 3 myself but ever open to feedback and hoping to hear from ian87 via pm following his comment.

You get a lot of house for your money in Newcastle West at the moment alright. Flip side is there is feck all in the way of jobs there. Guessing Nenagh may be stronger in this regard. Suits me though and in line with my longer term plans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thats a really weird use of space, even for a substation.

I saw before when hunting that they keep the advert open to avoid the fees. A new house comes up they edit the details to it.

Regardless, 10k is very high for a garage conversion. You just need a door/window set, some insulation/walls floor and run a line out for a rad. I'd expect quotes in around 5k for a property like that now days. Its still a buyers market in terms on construction, within reason.

Other people hate powerlines, sub stations etc. Its a price negotiation point. Myself, I couldn't care less.

Since 1 and 2 seem to be your favorites and they are very similar I'd look at what it will cost to bring it to your spec. Do you need to replace fridge freezer? Carpets and lino are easy to remove and replace, tiles are not.

Most kitchen units can simply get new doors and eh voila, new kitchen. But from the looks of it, house 2 might need a completely new kitchen refit or be repainted(you will want this professionally done, circa 500 quid).

I don't see how the extra money is justified for house 3. So similar, so close. Less chance of a building site out the back in years to come.

Whatever you decided to go with Best of Luck :D I know how stressful it can be to be torn between two or more properties!!

Thats a really weird use of space, even for a substation.

I actually cant get into your link Cuddlesworth as using my brothers pc who is a little bit obsessed with internet security and its blocked as being an untrustworthy connection. Hes the administrator of the PC. Yeah it may not make a lot of sense on the face of it that green space. But I think the logic is that there is a road in the estate facing it so if a house was built there lights from cars on the road coming towards it would be coming in the windows at night....just a guess on my part though

I saw before when hunting that they keep the advert open to avoid the fees. A new house comes up they edit the details to it.

You may well be right here I think but might it make more sense in such a situation to edit the ad to another house on their books even if it means that house is then listed twice. May make more sense than listing a house not actually for sale and avoids frustration on the part of the buyer who may be interseted or even the seller who asked for their house to be delisted I'm guessing
    Regardless, 10k is very high for a garage conversion. You just need a door/window set, some insulation/walls floor and run a line out for a rad. I'd expect quotes in around 5k for a property like that now days. Its still a buyers market in terms on construction, within reason.

I researched the same online before and seen various answers from €3k to €12k as I recall. Of course with these kind of things everybody who responds is right. I'm no builder or quantity surveyor and wouldn't know anyone in the trade too well personally but guessing €10k possibly high alright. €5k? - Do you really think you'd do a good job for that all in without knowing or being related to anyone much in the trade, calling in favours etc etc

Other people hate powerlines, sub stations etc. Its a price negotiation point. Myself, I couldn't care less.

As I mentioned previously Cuddlesworth I think I may have set the bar on house 3 in terms of price. I am meant to be considering it over this weekend and getting back to him early in week

Since 1 and 2 seem to be your favorites and they are very similar I'd look at what it will cost to bring it to your spec. Do you need to replace fridge freezer? Carpets and lino are easy to remove and replace, tiles are not.

Most kitchen units can simply get new doors and eh voila, new kitchen. But from the looks of it, house 2 might need a completely new kitchen refit or be repainted(you will want this professionally done, circa 500 quid).

I don't see how the extra money is justified for house 3. So similar, so close. Less chance of a building site out the back in years to come.

Wouldn't quite say they are my favourites Cuddlesworth. The estate itself may be a small bit nicer than the estate House 3 is in - very very marginally. The green field behind house 3 sort of tips the scales back there though as other 2 houses are overlooked. No need to replace any appliances there unless they give up the go. I appreciate that the likes of lino and carpet can be replaced in time and not a major deal but that pushes the cost up in the end no doubt.

On the kitchen I was living in a house with a landlady also living there before. Kitchen was a dark and very old fashioned looking one in account of dark colour. Her and a friend of hers, neither of them working in that line or anything like over the course of a week or 2 evening by evening sanded it and repainted a sort of satin white. They made a fantastic job and modernised it no end. A long time ago now it was but that would give me some good confidence that the kitchen can be turned around.

Being honest I'm more biased towards house 3 at present but maybe I'm being blinkered by the really nice finish in it and you are correct that its not worth the extra over and above house 1 or house 2. Re the green field though that cannot be accessed from a public road so don't foresee any development of that field in the future. On a side note the last thing Newcastle West needs for many years to come are more housing developments. Unless a complete reversal of fortune....there are tonnes of vacant units there at the moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement