Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery meter box

Options
  • 27-10-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this box. I bought a house there a few days ago, and on the side were the gas and electricity meters. In between them was another door about 1/4 the size. When I first checked, the door was still there, though I wasn't able to open it because the "key" was different to the gas and electricity locks. I came back today and found the door gone. Inside there are only some wires that look disconnected from something, but I can't figure out what they might be. I was hoping someone could help identify it.

B0WbG8h.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

It's your telephone connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Or tv cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Thanks, I have an engineer coming out soon to sort out my telephony, so hopefully he can deal with any issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

A wire tap??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

oh we have a small box like that - door still attached in our case. always wondered what it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

A wire tap??!!!

Omar coming

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Telephone.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Extra "storage " area

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Telephone junction box - the black wire is the one coming in from the street, and the beige/white wire continues on into the socket in the house. the unconnected wires are just a couple of spares on the incoming black wire - nothing to worry about. It's very much overkill, the way phone points are wired in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Thanks I'll check the bushes, and if necessary see if I can source a replacement door. Seemed very strange to find it missing. Has me wondering if the previous owners had something connected in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You're very calm about a company coming out and leaving a gaping hole in the wall of your house!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can easily get replacement doors at any builders provider, or do like I did and cut out a suitably sized piece of plywood, painted it and screwed it into the plastic frame. Nobody needs regular access to it, and anyway it's a good idea to make access as difficult as possible if you have a monitored alarm to prevent anybody snipping the wires before breaking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That's your eircom line the extra space is for 'future developments' like possibly fibre-to-home connections (which they are now rolling out).

You also appear to have two lines connected.

I've never liked the idea of that box as it makes your phone line very easy to find if you've a monitored alarm depending on it.

Advertisement