If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers for yamaha receiver

Options
  • 27-10-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,i'm thinking of buying a yamaha receiver (either ther rx-v375 or rx-v477,haven't decided yet) and was wondering what speakers ye would have suitable for this receiver? Will be mainly used for listening to music so will probably go for just two floorstanders,my budget is around 150-200 euro for the spekers.Any suggestions?Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi,i'm thinking of buying a yamaha receiver (either ther rx-v375 or rx-v477,haven't decided yet) and was wondering what speakers ye would have suitable for this receiver? Will be mainly used for listening to music so will probably go for just two floorstanders,my budget is around 150-200 euro for the spekers.Any suggestions?Thanks.
    Hi Limerickred.

The Yamaha RXV375 has now finished and no more stock is aviable.
    Yamaha RXV477is currently priced at 374.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)

For the floor atanding speaker you could go with the 5 star reviewed Mission M33i priced at 199.99 Euro (Inc delivery)

If you went up in price a little you could go for the Cambridge S70's priced at 299.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-100770-s70.aspx

I hope this is of help.

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 limerickred

Hi kenny, thanks for the reply.I was looking at the mission speakers alright and they are probably as high as I can go budget wise at the moment.Would they sound good on their own or would I need a subwoofer as well.As I said it would be mainly for listening to music and sometimes movies.I presume they meet the specs required of the receiver? Sorry for all the questions but this would be the first av receiver I buy and not really sure what's required, thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi kenny, thanks for the reply.I was looking at the mission speakers alright and they are probably as high as I can go budget wise at the moment.Would they sound good on their own or would I need a subwoofer as well.As I said it would be mainly for listening to music and sometimes movies.I presume they meet the specs required of the receiver? Sorry for all the questions but this would be the first av receiver I buy and not really sure what's required, thanks.
    Limerickred,

thanks for the post - how about this Combo:

Yamaha RXV477 AV Receiver: https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200457-rxv477.aspx?swapstore=1
    Monitor Audio MR4 Floorstander speakers: http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/monitor-audio/mr4/moni-audio-mr4-blk

The total Euro retail inc. delivery should be €824.99 - I can do a deal at just €649.99 - which is a really cracking deal - the Monitor Audio MR4 will be vastly superior to the Mission M33i's especially on music as they have a far more extended frequency range ( especially at the bottom end) and of course if you want to expand the 477 to cover 5.1 in the future the Monitor Audio MR or BX range of surrounds, centres and subs are really well recognised and give you a great upgrade path,

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist or of course if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

That sounds like a deal I might be interested in alright.Just looking at the speaker specs and it says they're not magnetically shielded.Would this be a problem as they will probably be either side of a flatscreen tv?And I assume that the 477 would be able to power them alright? Thanks again.

That sounds like a deal I might be interested in alright.Just looking at the speaker specs and it says they're not magnetically shielded.Would this be a problem as they will probably be either side of a flatscreen tv?And I assume that the 477 would be able to power them alright? Thanks again.
    Limerickred,

the shielding wont be an issue unless you have an old style glass tube TV - in terms of power - yep the RXV477 is well able for the MR4 - the MR4 is actually a tad more efficient than the Missions at 91Db against 90Db for the M33i.

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Limerickred,

the shielding wont be an issue unless you have an old style glass tube TV - in terms of power - yep the RXV477 is well able for the MR4 - the MR4 is actually a tad more efficient than the Missions at 91Db against 90Db for the M33i.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Any chance of getting the speakers in the walnut finish, and also,forgot to ask for your opinion on the 477 receiver itself?
    Thanks.

Limerickred,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Any chance of getting the speakers in the walnut finish, and also,forgot to ask for your opinion on the 477 receiver itself?
    Thanks.

Limerickred,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks.
    No problem getting the MR4 in walnut - they are available from stock!

On the RXV477 - I actually think its probably our best value AV Receiver at the moment - at £279.95 its really outstanding value ( rrp is £339 to be fair and that price better reflects the spec) it really does sound great and its a Smart receiver and of course also has Apple Airplay and DLNA on board, 6 HDMI should be enough for almost everyone in terms of sources and it also has a good selection of legacy analogue and digital audio inputs - really at that price there is very little to match it..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

On the RXV477 - I actually think its probably our best value AV Receiver at the moment - at £279.95 its really outstanding value ( rrp is £339 to be fair and that price better reflects the spec) it really does sound great and its a Smart receiver and of course also has Apple Airplay and DLNA on board, 6 HDMI should be enough for almost everyone in terms of sources and it also has a good selection of legacy analogue and digital audio inputs - really at that price there is very little to match it..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

That's great so I'll take you up on that offer, can you PM me regarding payment details, and thanks for all the advice.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

That's great so I'll take you up on that offer, can you PM me regarding payment details, and thanks for all the advice.
    Hi Limerickred.

Just dropped you a little PM.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,I was thinking of adding a subwoofer to this setup but was just wondering if it would make much difference to the overall sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Limerick !

Yes is the abrupt answer.

A sub woofer adds an extra dimension to the sound that normal speakers cannot reproduce so I would always recommend a sub woofer with a surround system.

This Tannoy is a very decent subwoofer but I personally would go for the Cambridge SX120. This has a much better amplifier on board, performs better and goes lower than the Tannoy and sounds brilliant.

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-10513-sfx-sub.aspx

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-12468-sx120.aspx

Let me know what you make of either of these.

ATB

Dave

Hi, this is probably a stupid question but is the volume of the sub controlled manually or would my av receiver control it? I like the Cambridge alright but probably more than i can afford at the moment.

Hi, this is probably a stupid question but is the volume of the sub controlled manually or would my av receiver control it? I like the Cambridge alright but probably more than i can afford at the moment.
    Limerick,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - we have had a couple of crazy daze...

The simple answer is that you can use both to control your Sub volume - the normal way to control the Sub volume is to set the volume level of the sub to a median level ( on the sub itself) and then adjust the sub output on the AV receiver - your Yamaha AVR has lots of different settings and will also do a standard mic-set up - from that base you can then fine-tune the ratio of Subs to says to suit your own taste ( and you neighbours tolerance..)

I don't disagree ( for once!) with Dave's recommendations on the Tannoy / Cambridge Audio - the SX120 is especially good and great value - but as you already have Monitor Audio MR4's I'd really go for an MA sub - I would even give you a hefty discount to point you in that direction as then you will have the advantage of all your speakers being voiced the same - the matching sub for your MR4's is the Monitor Audio MRW10 - its currently £299.95 / €329.99 ( its great value in Euro ) but I can do you one in Walnut to match you own speakers at a bonkers €279 euro including delivery - this makes it W A Y cheaper in yoyo than sterling!
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200813-mrw10-walnut.aspx

Thanks again, apologies for the delay and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,sent you a pm..

Hi John,
    Just sent you a PM there regarding the subwoofer.

Hi John, sent you a PM .

Hi John, sent you a PM .
    Hi Limerickred.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

John has been out and about over the last few days and may not have not gotten to your PM as of yet.

If you could forward it to myself I can have a look over it and see if I can help.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.