Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Antares Rocket Launch Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

didnt the esa gps satellites fail to get to where they were supposed to go earlier this year and have to be scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Moaner Lisas Hairy Arse

Please don't hesitate to submit your plans to the patent office. I wish you every success

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=12fR9neVnS8

I reckon I could put 1 on the moon for $5.

irishgeo wrote: »
    didnt the esa gps satellites fail to get to where they were supposed to go earlier this year and have to be scrapped.

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057275871

Russian rocket manufacturer insists it is not to blame for failed Antares launch

theguardian.com/science/2014/oct/29/russian-rocket-crash-virginia

$200 Million hit, 15% share dive, verbal fisticuffs on the use of the different modules on the ISS starting to get teeth -- a carry over from the sanctions due to the bullsh1t happening in Ukraine.

Rocket is a 40yo modified Russian yoke, experts reckon stage 2 fired early.

Another unmanned rocket has left Kazakhstan with 3 Tonnes of supplies for the folks on the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Fired early?? Through the fuel tanks of the first stage? That would be a first!

• Advertisement

I had another look at the launch video and the second stage definitely did not fire early. It all points to the first stage engine area.

shedweller wrote: »
    Fired early?? Through the fuel tanks of the first stage? That would be a first!

Common occurence at the beginning of the space era apparently and looked like this explosion when it did happen.

We'll know in a few weeks anyway.

Common occurence at the beginning of the space era apparently and looked like this explosion when it did happen.

We'll know in a few weeks anyway.
    Apparently so. Youtube might have videos...
    I did see puffs leaving the side just after liftoff but it was an umbilical i think.
    I've attached an aerial photo showing the aftermah. Looks like antares fell to one side of the pad and spared it a little!
    Its mad how little scrap is left of the rocket! Vapourised!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I did see puffs leaving the side just after liftoff but it was an umbilical i think.

Comparing it to previous launches, it all look standard enough with the steam or smoke coming off the side, if it had been midday and brighter might have been easier to see where failure started

Comparing it to previous launches, it all look standard enough with the steam or smoke coming off the side, if it had been midday and brighter might have been easier to see where failure started
    Very true. Were there any thermal imaging cameras in use i wonder? Remember one of the last shuttle launches where they filmed it simultaneously at different exposures and spliced them so all exposure levels were on the one film. Some level of detail!

• Advertisement

Very true. Were there any thermal imaging cameras in use i wonder? Remember one of the last shuttle launches where they filmed it simultaneously at different exposures and spliced them so all exposure levels were on the one film. Some level of detail!

Not sure what cameras they had, they did seem to switch to infared/night mode once or twice after the crash if I remember right, but probably didn't have anything too fancy recording it

some good spectator videos here, although very distant, some running away and ducking down for fear of debris
    http://www.space.com/27593-antares-rocket-explosion-spectator-videos.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Its mad how little scrap is left of the rocket! Vapourised!
    relative to their size the walls of the tanks on a rocket are about a third the thickness as the ones on a soft drinks can , so there isn't a lot of material to begin with.

An extreme example was this
    An Atlas rocket would collapse under its own weight if not kept pressurized, and had to have 5 psi (34 kPa) nitrogen in the tank even when not fuelled.

Not only does aluminium melt at a far lower temperature than you'd expect in a burning rocket it also burns, the Shuttle's SSRB's used powdered aluminium as the main fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

As an aside, check out Ascent - Commemorating Shuttle which has loads of info on the mind-boggling camera stuff involved in shuttle launches. There's also a bonus clips video going around too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I had another look at the launch video and the second stage definitely did not fire early. It all points to the first stage engine area.

Yes exactly a propulsion failure occurred in the first stage, before it fell back to the ground to cause more havoc it was commanded to terminate by the flight termination system.

For anyone uninformed about the reason it blew up is because it was commanded to not because of a failure.
    As far as I am aware there are no reports yet to explain exactly what went wrong as there were no known issues prior to launch. there are reports of moderate damage to the launch pad and site fuel tanks

for anyone interested who is not already aware of safety systems in place with regards to rocket malfunctions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_termination_system

Looking back at the video it is hard (for me!) to tell how much before impact did it blow. Either way i'm amazed there wasnt more damage to the launch pad and ancillary equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Streets_of Rage 2 Come_On

Looking back at the video it is hard (for me!) to tell how much before impact did it blow. Either way i'm amazed there wasnt more damage to the launch pad and ancillary equipment.

Still gonna cost 20mil and a year to put right....apparently.

Are these figures got at by billing $1000 for a screw and $10000 for a door? The pic don't look that bad.

Interesting number there,
    Twenty one people have died in the name of science, either space vehicle testing, launch, or re-entry prior to landing.

Would have said much higher myself for some reason.

http: //flightclub.jalopnik.com/antares-rocket-explosion-repairs-will-take-a-year-and-c-1666888710

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This incident alone was several times that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedelin_catastrophe

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Article about the chinese rocket disaster in 1994

And only 6 people were killed and just 57 injured !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJ9ue6GKek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Such a PITA finding this thread:mad:

Popcorn at the ready, this baby is being rolled out for another go on Dec3 with a 30 min launch window,

1255229586681097105.gif

1505829729885551787.jpg

Different Rocket this time, Antares last time, Atlas this time. Great Pic gallery timeline of the last few months here of them getting it ready.

o4kandraeorkghwf26qh.jpg

Here she is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's called an Atlas but has nothing in common with a real Atlas.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's called an Atlas but has nothing in common with a real Atlas.
    +1
    Even delivered to Vandenberg on a Russian plane :pac:

In fairness the second stage uses a good old American RL10 engine. And like a lot of other flight proven technology from the 1960's still hasn't been replaced by something better/cheaper/more reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Bump. Not too long now.

Weather not right, 18min window left for weather to improve, not looking likely though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Tuned in myself now, waiting to see if there's more fireworks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

No action tonight...

Scrubbed for 24hrs

5.33pm Eastern time for launch, weather forecast give 30% chance of favourable condition for launch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Weather not right, 18min window left for weather to improve, not looking likely though

always possible, but with the Atlas the chances are low, very low

• Advertisement

Looking better for launch today 40 or so minutes to go

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/6540154

Advertisement