Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oamaru

Options
  • 27-10-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me what kind of things to see and do in Oamaru. Is there good night life? Many Irish in it? We're moving there in 2 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

bambgirl92 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Can anyone tell me what kind of things to see and do in Oamaru. Is there good night life? Many Irish in it? We're moving there in 2 weeks

Dour enough place to be honest, small place with one long main strip for the most part. They were tidying up the old quarter of the town which is quite nice last time we breezed through there.

Its close enough to some great spots which is its saving grace. 2-3 hours drive to Queenstown and Wanaka and some amazing spots in the mountains is its best selling point!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, if you were going to Timaru, I'd say "welcome to Tuam". Oamaru's like a slightly more upmarket version of Timaru.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bambgirl92

Yeah there doesn't seem to be much going on there. What about the neighboring towns like Weston and Enfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bambgirl92

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Dour enough place to be honest, small place with one long main strip for the most part. They were tidying up the old quarter of the town which is quite nice last time we breezed through there.

Its close enough to some great spots which is its saving grace. 2-3 hours drive to Queenstown and Wanaka and some amazing spots in the mountains is its best selling point!

Your right about it being dour. The Victorian part is lovely now. I went to the Victorian fete which was interesting, otherwise..... Meh!

I want to hit the road and see Queenstown and other places, but I'm stuck here with no car.

NB. Anyone who is coming to Oamaru to farm, buy a car cos you will be stuck in the middle of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daveblinkbass

Steam Punk and the Victorian festival in November are about the highlights of the place. One of my friends was a teacher down there and he actually loved living there as he was able to save quite a bit of money and spend it on travelling around. You're very close to to other places as mentioned above and only 3 hours from the international airport in Christchurch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You could visit Richie McCaw's house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Ahh, if you were going to Timaru, I'd say "welcome to Tuam". Oamaru's like a slightly more upmarket version of Timaru.

I think Timaru is a lethal place just is let down a little by it's locals it seems.

Advertisement