Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone at Eircom have anything to say about the massive traffic problems?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

See this thread for a discussion on the matter:  http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057315081

These last few weeks have been ridiculous. I pay for Fibre broadband, get 97mbps speeds, and yet sites load like I'm back on dial-up. The only way to fix it is to use a VPN. 

Your network is f**ked Eircom, and you're playing dumb as usual.

It's inexplicable how this company is allowed to conduct business considering the constant faults and abysmal customer service. I dread having to call the "care" team because I'll just end up going in circles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I agree 100%. Sites are loading like s**t. As soon as I enable a VPN it's fine. Waiting for Eircom to pretend it's individual customer issues, it's clearly not as I'm in Dublin and friends in Limerick are seeing the same issues. In fairness, I've had nothing but good experiences with the tech support staff but customer care were terrible when I called. Probably not their fault, out of their hands but awful none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

My eFibre is absolutely unusable, the last week, on many sites such as bbc.co.uk, cnn.com, facebook, etc. I can stream Netflix all day however, if I wanted.

This is because sites are either being throttled intentionally, in a retarded way -- or there are major routing issues and nobody is competent enough to fix them.

Eircom have messed up big time.

Just 2 months ago I had major DNS problems that I diagnosed and fixed myself. And now this?

I will be calling them to get out of my contract if there is no update by EOD tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having with you service. 

We understand your frustration with this, I have reported this thread onto our support team. 

I would like to assure you that I have compiled and gathered a report highlighting the number of threads and posts on the issues surrounding slow speeds at peak times and requested that this be looked in to.

Completion of this investigation is going to take time considering the scale of the issue,  we will aim to update you on the progress reported back to us here.

We understand that slow speeds can be of a major inconvenience and cause a lot of frustration, however we cannot at this time offer more information on the posts raised here for now.

In light of the above it is still important to contact technical support on 1890 260 260 (tel number and option 0) as some seemingly similar issues may not necessarily be the same to the issues reported on this thread.

Apologies for the inconvenience that this is causing you all. 

Thanks

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thanks Tracey -- we appreciate it.

I am a software engineer myself, having worked with lots of networks in the past. Please be assured that this isn't your average "oh, my internet is slow today" issue. This is a major infrastructural issue with Eircom.

As many people have said on various forums (many outside of boards.ie), it can be quicker to VPN into a work machine to view YouTube or browse some US sites.

So Eircom can handle the traffic (i.e., VPN) when the routing is good. It's not a contention or speed problem. It's a routing mess-up, in my opinion.

Sites like Netflix are fine -- why? Because Eircom's routing works in that case. Sites like cnn.com are basically unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I tried the same sites as you mentioned and am having issues with all of them too. Speedtests are fine though. What is being done on Eircom's side to fix this? As mentioned earlier, I've checked with friend's in Limerick and they are experiencing the same problems on the same sites so I looks like it is a countrywide issue. I think anyone reading this thread should try the sites mentioned and report back on whether they are having problems or not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Loads of sites not loading for me. If we look at facebook its pinging fine.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ping facebook.com

Pinging star.c10r.facebook.com [31.13.90.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 31.13.90.2: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=86
    Reply from 31.13.90.2: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=86

Ping statistics for 31.13.90.2:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 24ms

But if I ping the main server facebook uses to load data to your pages. Well it speaks for itself. 400+ ping and half the time it doesn't load.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ping "fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net"

Pinging a2047.dspl.akamai.net [92.123.72.167] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 92.123.72.167: bytes=32 time=417ms TTL=57
    Reply from 92.123.72.167: bytes=32 time=411ms TTL=57
    Reply from 92.123.72.167: bytes=32 time=405ms TTL=57
    Reply from 92.123.72.167: bytes=32 time=403ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 92.123.72.167:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 403ms, Maximum = 417ms, Average = 409ms

If we do a URL lookup this server is located in america. What is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It's funny how they announced they`ll be rolling out ffth yesterday yet on their crap network you can't stream or even game online past 6pm on advertised uncongested broadband. Have had nothing but problems the last few years, if there was an alternative I would jump in a split second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Have experienced the exact same problems recently...good to see I'm not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

There are several different threads on here all relating to the same issues mentioned above.The same copy and paste reply has been used on all the threads.This just proves the lazy attitude in replying to individual posts! Maybe we should join the circus cos eircom are treating us like clowns!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭decies

Yep getting seriousally cheesed off with eircom service , I watch a lot of streaming programs  from NFL sites and lately it's bloody hopeless , have had to abandon my broadband watch it on my iPhone through 4g Three Network . While am at it the roll out of e-fibre in Waterford City is a complete joke. Have been in a e-fibre enabled area for about 6 months and yet still waiting to get it. I never see any engineers working in my area. Sort it out eircom we pay for a service we are not getting , you should be refunding customers with this service . Should also say I complained to to their technical service about speed , they told me they could up my speed within 24 hours , two mins later no sorry it will be Halloween !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

There are several different threads on here all relating to the same issues mentioned above.The same copy and paste reply has been used on all the threads.This just proves the lazy attitude in replying to individual posts! Maybe we should join the circus cos eircom are treating us like clowns!
    Its not really the reps faults, probably been told to say that. There must be absolute clowns in charge of the infrastructure in Eircom and too many corners cut which has caught up on them in the last number of years. If only UPC was available everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Its not really the reps faults, probably been told to say that. There must be absolute clowns in charge of the infrastructure in Eircom and too many corners cut which has caught up on them in the last number of years. If only UPC was available everywhere.

Caught up with them last number of years?

Eircom has consistently treated internet as a joke and internet customers with scorn.

It has held back the entire nation from our technological and economic potential.

I swore several years ago that I would never pay for eircom broadband again. It looks like, 5 years later I was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

+1, same problems as everyone else. 

The major issues I have faced over the last week or so are with downloading podcasts from the beyondpod app on Android. After 6pm/peak times, I basically cannot download anything. 

Low and behold, if I enable a VPN service, the download speeds automatically become respectable again. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi All,

The last time we had these issues, we found it really helpful for customers experiencing the issues to send on trace routes. This helped us identify the issues and resolve it. If any of you would like to help us here please PM them to me.

I completely understand your frustration with this and please don't think that I am ignoring you all.  All information supplied will help us identify the issue. 

Thanks for your help.

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 24 diwit

another affected user here... getting speeds of ~0,6 mbps in the last 2-3 days, having an 8 mbps line.

Advertisement