Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYG Meters

Options
  • 28-10-2014 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a Pay As You Go gas meter with electric Ireland as my supplier. I have had the PAYG meter since moving into my current accomodation. I was originally with Bord Gais and had no problems. However, with Electric Ireland I am having issues. To me, the whole idea of Pay As You Go is to pay in advance for a service, in this case, Gas. Over the past year since switching to Electric Ireland, I have been receiving 'Bills' saying that I owe money. Impossible as it may seem, I have the 'bills' to prove this. To add to the problem, over the past few nights, at the 2am daily standing charge deduction, Electric Ireland have been deducting up to €10 a night from my account. I topped up by €40 on Friday last and now three/four days later I only have a balance of €11.21. I have not used much gas in the period. I only use gas at the moment for heating my water. To give an idea of exactly how much gas I use, After the deduction at 2am this morning of €8.63 I was left with a balance of €11.50. After using gas today, my balance is €11.21. The average amount of gas used per day is 30 cents and yet from a top up value of €40 I am left with a balance of only €11.21 and no doutb that will be reduced over night again. Has anyone else had similar issue with Electric Ireland PAYG gas and if so, how did they go about getting it resolved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Frankmachale,

Thank you for getting in touch with this query, we'll be happy to talk you through how our PAYG meters operate and to clarify any questions you may have.

PAYG customers still receive invoices, though these should be regarded as statements rather than bills. They are a way of keeping track of your usage, and are based on the meter readings we receive from Bord Gais Networks (or ESB Networks in the case of electricity meters). Please consider these as statements, and not as bills. If you would like us to look into your account, please PM with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number. Please also confirm if you are the account holder.

Deductions occur daily to cover the standing charge, VAT and gas conversion rate.  If the credit on your meter runs low you will be offered the €5 emergency credit on your meter. This can be borrowed until you buy some more credit. The €5 will be deducted automatically from your next top up amount. If you have not been using much gas over the summer months, and have not been topping up, then standing charges will have built up. Until these standing charges are paid, 60% of each top up will go towards clearing them and 40% will be assigned to usage.

If you have any questions about the above, please let us know.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

Advertisement