Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot item in restaurant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Well it sounds like you don't have a leg to stand on there, besides, most , if not all restaurants claim to have no
    responsibility over personal items left on the premises. Say they had been stolen while you were there, you cant claim its the restaurants
    fault, now can you?
    You'll just have to get another pair....cheaper this time I'll bet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

No need to be nasty to the guy. OMG, so many of you have to little to do but be nasty in circumstances like this. Guess its easy to hind behind a keyboard. The OP was just asking advice and I'm sure we've all left things behind but I guess all you nasty folk are
    perfect!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

1. If a staff member took the headphones they can be guilty of theft, unless they honestly believed that the owner could not be found by the taking of reasonable steps

2. The chances of recovering the item are slim to none, bad luck OP

3. Some of you are being so fúcking mean - post bank holiday blues?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ash23 wrote: »
    Had similar happen when I left my GHDs in a hotel room. Realised within a couple of hours and called the hotel. Room had been cleaned but not checked into again so only staff had access but nope, they found nothing.
    I'd no proof and that was the end of that. Chalked it up to a bad experience and moved on.

Very little point following up OP. You lost something. It happens.

Similar thing happened to my mum many years ago on holidays. We were checking out and she realised she left her jewellery on her bedside locker. She asked reception could she nip back to the room for them and when she got there cleaners had already been in and there was no jewellery in the room... Nothing she could do, she couldn't accuse or prove it was the cleaners.

Learnt our lesson, none of us ever bring good jewellery with us on holidays.

OP - Sorry to hear what happened, all you can do is check back with the restaurant a couple of times again just to in case they have re-appeared. If they don't surface, I'm afraid you'll just have to chalk that one down to experience, a learn a lesson from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

OP I am afraid you will just have to chalk this down to experirence, I know myself loosing expensive gadgets is no fun.

Maybe in future consider something like gadget insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

O.P.

My advise is for you to personally return to the restaurant and make your enquiries there. Be polite and see if you can spot your waiter, who is the person most likely to have been back to the table after you left. Ask them if they had found your headphones and put them somewhere safe.
    Do not make a scene or accuse anyone of anything.
    If your waiter is not there, ask for the manager and ask if they could check the office for you.
    Its all in your approach as to how much assistance you will get.
    You have to remember that another customer or a member of staff may have taken them and they are gone and that's just that.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

McGrath5 wrote: »
    OP I am afraid you will just have to chalk this down to experirence, I know myself loosing expensive gadgets is no fun.

Maybe in future consider something like gadget insurance?

Yep, had actually intended to insure them along with my phone, but sure that's always the way. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

I would try again one last chance, you never know. However if they are gone they were more then likely taken by someone who knew they were worth it.
    I've left stuff in hotels, charger for tablet, hotel posted it onto me next day.
    Hope you get lucky op and they turn up. Did you go over and check yourself when you went back to restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Ihateblackties - please watch your language

@Chance the Fapper - this may be your thread, but please do not abuse people because their viewpoint is contrary to your own. Attack the post, not the poster.

@raspberrypi67 - watch the back seat modding. Despite all the noise in this thread, I have not received a single Reported Post. Please use the Report Post functionality rather than posting off-topic.

Any more handbags or off-topic discussion and I will infract/ban.

dudara

Aimeee wrote: »
    I would try again one last chance, you never know. However if they are gone they were more then likely taken by someone who knew they were worth it.
    I've left stuff in hotels, charger for tablet, hotel posted it onto me next day.
    Hope you get lucky op and they turn up. Did you go over and check yourself when you went back to restaurant?

Cheers. I did, table and floor was clear unfortunately. I've a search alert on adverts on done deal, hopefully they try selling them instead of keeping them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Aimeee wrote: »

It's likely that things of nominal value are unlikely to be pocketed by staff, like your tablet charger. My girlfriend left a necklace in a hotel room before, which had more sentimental than monetary value and the hotel were happy to post it back to us. I'm sure it would have vanished were it made of diamonds and gold, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, ask can you pin a notice on the staff noticeboard or window offering a reward for a lost set of headphones. Best of luck.

Ephraim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

MarkR wrote: »
    I think it's worth speaking to the garda staion. I wouldn't consider reporting lost property willfully wasting time. I wouldn't hold my breath on it's return, however. Is the restaurant part of a larger group?

Only if he/she needs a report for an insurance claim. Otherwise, it's a total waste of the poster's time and very much a waste of Garda time.

Realistically, what could a Garda do?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Wow, I hate losing stuff - especially quality stuff that you might have saved up for etc.

I really appreciate your frustration and efforts, O.P., but, unfortunately, there is ( I feel ) absolutely nothing you can do.

Were you speaking to the actual owner / manager or somebody "covering the early shift"?

3m, I would imagine would be unusally long for headphones lead? Is it? This might have given it value for somebody finding it?

If anyone other than Owner/Manager I would not make them aware of the value of the Headphones - you might be giving them ideas!

However, if you let the Owner/Manager know the value of them then, realtive to the value of losing a table of customers, it wouldn't be that big a value. An astute business owner, rather, would view this as an oppurtunity to get some good news going around as opposed to making a quick buck .. .

I would advise you completely against going in and trying to find the waiter / waitress that served your table and asking them. By, effectively, bypassing management you would be doing yourself no favours -as far as they are concerned - In fact, you are now becoming a nuisance who clearly doesn't believe them.

I have a feeling that the Gardai would not get involved. I am not being smart but if this were not your set of headphones and you were told that Garda Time / Taxpayers Money was being spent in this fashion ( if it were someone else ) - would you honestly consider it a good way of expending scare public resources?

Same thing happened me 7-8 years ago. Was in a Hotel iN Talin and left an expensive Mobile Phone after me. Racing for plane the following morning I decided to wait until I got back to Dublin rather than miss the flight. When I rang the hotel I was told my phone had been found and was in safe hands. When I rang later to confirm that the phone was being posted I was told that the phone was never found and that I must have been mistaken in thinking somebody told me that the phone was found. Difference - i had told the guy earlier the VALUE of the phone.

Best of luck with it . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have to say, I think I'd hound the manager for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@raspberrypi67 - Please use the Report Post function to report any posts you have an issue with. The moderators will review and take action if they feel it is warranted. Do not post off topic

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I left my S4 charger in a D4 hotel back in January. Phoned reception about an hour after leaving the hotel. I was asked to call back the next day and was told they would check with house keeping.

I called back next morning. No sign of the phone charger. 100% sure I left it in my room, still plugged in.

In your case OP, I'd phone the manager and say I've €20, €50 of a reward if they are found. Say you noticed one or two of the waiters were not in the time you were last in and they may have put them somewhere. Give them a chance to save face.

Painful, but not as painful as paying full price again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Apologies if I came of as harsh earlier.

What got my goat was the automatic assumption that staff stole them. Realistically, all you can say is that you think you left them behind. After that, you don't know.

I've had cases where people have called saying they've left stuff behind, 100% they've left them behind. I've checked, looked, searched, and found nothing. When informed, they'll come out with, "Oh, actually I found them in xxx place instead."

By all means, let the Gardai know, especially if you want to make an insurance claim. However, and I tell you this as someone that works in the industry, the Gardai will contact the restaurant, ask if they were found, if they get told that they haven't been found/handed in, that's as far as they'll go.

Call in again, don't go in the morning, wait until the afternoon, senor management will more likely to be around. Offer a reward, if you can.

Have you checked with the other parties in your group? It's possible that they lifted them.

Apologies if I came of as harsh earlier.

What got my goat was the automatic assumption that staff stole them. Realistically, all you can say is that you think you left them behind. After that, you don't know.

I've had cases where people have called saying they've left stuff behind, 100% they've left them behind. I've checked, looked, searched, and found nothing. When informed, they'll come out with, "Oh, actually I found them in xxx place instead."

By all means, let the Gardai know, especially if you want to make an insurance claim. However, and I tell you this as someone that works in the industry, the Gardai will contact the restaurant, ask if they were found, if they get told that they haven't been found/handed in, that's as far as they'll go.

Call in again, don't go in the morning, wait until the afternoon, senor management will more likely to be around. Offer a reward, if you can.

Have you checked with the other parties in your group? It's possible that they lifted them.

I went in again yesterday evening , talked to the manager but he was the same guy I was talking to before. He said they still hadn't turned up, so I asked him to tell his staff that I will offer a €50 reward if they turn up.

I know 100% that I left them there. I was with my girlfriend and her parents, it's unlikely that they took them. I was also in the back corner, so I was the last to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I went in again yesterday evening , talked to the manager but he was the same guy I was talking to before. He said they still hadn't turned up, so I asked him to tell his staff that I will offer a €50 reward if they turn up.

I know 100% that I left them there. I was with my girlfriend and her parents, it's unlikely that they took them. I was also in the back corner, so I was the last to leave

In your OP you said you where there with a large group, now it's only 3 people. Have you contacted the others to see if they have the headphones? More likely that someone who was with you picked them up than a staff member stealing them, the staff have too much too loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Del2005 wrote: »
    In your OP you said you where there with a large group, now it's only 3 people. Have you contacted the others to see if they have the headphones? More likely that someone who was with you picked them up than a staff member stealing them, the staff have too much too loose.

Those three could have been part of a larger group.

Just sayin'..

Del2005 wrote: »

I was sitting in the corner with herself and the family,I never left my seat until we all left. I was the last one out of the room, along with her mother. Table was like this

G G O O O O O

And that was in the bottom left corner of the room. O represents people from our group, G is the girlfriend and her parents, and X is me

I was sitting in the corner with herself and the family,I never left my seat until we all left. I was the last one out of the room, along with her mother. Table was like this

G G O O O O O

And that was in the bottom left corner of the room. O represents people from our group, G is the girlfriend and her parents, and X is me

Have you asked the other 10 people at the table, or your girlfriend, or her parents?

Have you asked the other 10 people at the table, or your girlfriend, or her parents?

Yes, none of them took the headphones

<SNIP> This isn't After Hours <SNIP>

No matter, IF you've asked them, you've ruled them out.

Was there a tablecloth on the table? If so, it's possible that they got gathered up with them. Maybe see if the restaurant will contact their linen company.

Otherwise, wait and see if the offer of reward brings anything forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It might also be worth asking the manager if they employ an cleaning company, to hoover and clean the place etc. If they do maybe a member of the cleaning staff found it.

Advertisement