Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many sites extremely slow/unusable (past week on eFibre)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

dave_t wrote: »
    Hi Eircom reps,

What is the expected/planned/ball park date for completion of the upgrade works?
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Latency is still unstable everynight, its been what 5 weeks now since Eircom announced they'd be fixing stuff, and over 3 months of poor service. Really unfair lads but not surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Can i ask one of the guys posting here as it is pointless asking the Eircom reps!!
    I tried downloading a movie from sky on demand earlier today (2pm) ... Now at 7pm it's only at 27%... Is that an issue with my fibre broadband or is it to do with sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Can i ask one of the guys posting here as it is pointless asking the Eircom reps!!
    I tried downloading a movie from sky on demand earlier today (2pm) ... Now at 7pm it's only at 27%... Is that an issue with my fibre broadband or is it to do with sky?

Depends on which route it comes by. If Sky's streaming servers are routed via INEX, LINX or AMS-IX, you'll get decent speeds (Eircom's links to these exchanges are just about OK). If they are routed via the Level3 link (a.k.a the "rest of the internet" link, you'll get heavily reduced speeds at peak times, as this link remains heavily congested.

Depends on which route it comes by. If Sky's streaming servers are routed via INEX, LINX or AMS-IX, you'll get decent speeds (Eircom's links to these exchanges are just about OK). If they are routed via the Level3 link (a.k.a the "rest of the internet" link, you'll get heavily reduced speeds at peak times, as this link remains heavily congested.

Thanks,I'll call them so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

but 2pm shouldn't be a congested time so maybe there is a problem with Sky in this case.
    The poor performance normally only happens in the evening times

_dof_ wrote: »
    but 2pm shouldn't be a congested time so maybe there is a problem with Sky in this case.
    The poor performance normally only happens in the evening times

Yeah,thought it should be ok at that time of day(31% now). Even with congestion should it take that long?

Yeah,thought it should be ok at that time of day(31% now). Even with congestion should it take that long?

Probably not, the Eircom-Level3 link might not be the only bottleneck, there could be a bottleneck somewhere else along the way, outside of Eircom's control).

I'm able to stream video over the Eircom-Level3 link (barely), so it does seem odd alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Eircom reps,

What is the expected/planned/ball park date for completion of the upgrade works?

Hi dave_t
     the proposed works we mentioned in earlier posts has now been completed with work to Frankfurt link finished this morning. Work to INEX in Dublin was completed earlier in week.
    I honestly cannot give a completion date as demand is constantly growing and will continue to grow, so work will probably be on-going to meet these demands.
    We will post what information we can here when it is available.
    Hope this answers at least most of your query.
    Tony

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sky's content is delivered by both Akamai and Level3. In the case of the Eircom to Level3 link, it's not congested.

• Advertisement

The latency to Germany has been fine for a few weeks now. Its ironic because before Germany had terrible routing and France NL etc were fine, now Germany is fine and the other countries have bad latency during peak hours

Maybe Eircom will eventually provide stability to every route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I'm not sure if nickhilliard has posted it before, because I've only read the last few days of posts, but he does work for INEX

2n08w8j.png

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Hi Eircom reps,

Hi dave_t
     the proposed works we mentioned in earlier posts has now been completed with work to Frankfurt link finished this morning. Work to INEX in Dublin was completed earlier in week.
    I honestly cannot give a completion date as demand is constantly growing and will continue to grow, so work will probably be on-going to meet these demands.
    We will post what information we can here when it is available.
    Hope this answers at least most of your query.
    Tony
    This worries me as you are saying the planned works are completed but the problem is certainly not fixed! It almost seems like eircom are trying to get away with the minimum possible capacity possible and tag on small amounts as people notice but never really beef up the connections :/

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

The problem seems to be not just the capacity but also the cabinets themselves. 

Eircom have sold eFiber to people those whom are just under 1km from the cabinet, what this means is that during peak hours all the peers closer to the cabinet will use up the bandwidth.

The fix for this is that eircom needs to update their cabinets so they can push speeds beyond the current end limit of 1km. eFiber loses about 10mb every 100 meters. I was told all of this by an eircom engineeer. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

doctorg wrote: »
    The problem seems to be not just the capacity but also the cabinets themselves. 

Eircom have sold eFiber to people those whom are just under 1km from the cabinet, what this means is that during peak hours all the peers closer to the cabinet will use up the bandwidth.

The fix for this is that eircom needs to update their cabinets so they can push speeds beyond the current end limit of 1km. eFiber loses about 10mb every 100 meters. I was told all of this by an eircom engineeer. 
    Was this an engineer or an access network technician? The limit has been 2km (for most cabs) for quite a while. eircom have been rolling out vectoring sinch March
    http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/eircom_commences_Vectoring_roll_out,_boosts_fibre_broadband_speeds_to_100Mbs/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sky Go and even Netflix have been completely unusable over the last few hours. The speedtest says 26mb yet cannot even stream Netflix videos at low quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Sky Go and even Netflix have been completely unusable over the last few hours. The speedtest says 26mb yet cannot even stream Netflix videos at low quality.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Very sorry to hear this Richard Hillman

If this issues persists please contact eircoms technical support team on 1890260260 or via webchat here [/font]
     www.eircom.ie/chatnow

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

If this issues persists please contact eircoms technical support team on 1890260260 or via webchat here [/font]
     www.eircom.ie/chatnow

Thanks
    Al
    Any comment on the fact the long awaited works completion seems to have done almost nothing to improve the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

www.eircom.ie/chatnow

Thanks
    Al

You know as well as we do Alan that your tech team can not do anything regarding this problem! Why is contact our support team the only answer you's have?

I personally have now got comreg involved in my particular case because eircom will not release me from contract.
    Comreg are now investigating my issue.

It's a shambles the level of service and customer care eircom are offering there customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

gramo wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear this Richard Hillman

If this issues persists please contact eircoms technical support team on 1890260260 or via webchat here
     www.eircom.ie/chatnow

Thanks
    Al

You know as well as we do Alan that your tech team can not do anything regarding this problem! Why is contact our support team the only answer you's have?

I personally have now got comreg involved in my particular case because eircom will not release me from contract.
    Comreg are now investigating my issue.

It's a shambles the level of service and customer care eircom are offering there customers.
    Hi gramo

There has been a lot of feedback advising that the issues have improved, obviously this will not be the case for everyone but improvements have been made and works to continue improvements to the network are set to continue.

While symtoms may look very similar it is important to make sure there are no other contributing factors and technical support will be able to check this.

Thanks
    Al

You can sleep well at night knowing improvements to the network are SET TO CONTINUE. Thank god! Over a year of terrible service but at least we know things are set to continue. There has been literally 2 months over the entire year during the summer where your service has performed like a normal broadband connection, pure spoofers

Server list in quakelike, the one server that does have good ping has massive jitter and is unplayable in game

2ns9kd2.jpg

Same crap in every game I play

Great job fixing stuff lads

Of course the ping to Eircom.net is fine, so the connection must be grand

Pinging eircom.net [86.43.38.8] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 86.43.38.8:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

Lightning speeds off heanet aswell

v3135k.png

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

nuxxx wrote: »
    Lightning speeds off heanet aswell

v3135k.png
    179kbyte/sec is about 1.5mbit/s throughput, which looks terrible for a VDSL link and corroborates that you're seeing performance problems.

You should log into your modem to see what downstream speed it's syncing at.  If it's syncing at around 1.5Mbps downstream speeds, the problem is with cabling on the line side;  if it's syncing at much higher rates, then you have a traffic congestion problem.

If it's congestion, it's easy enough to test whether this is a problem at your end or at eircom's.  You can do this by testing your link when it's quiet.  To do this, you should:
    • completely disable wifi on your VDSL modem
    • connect your computer to your modem using a UTP cable
    • disconnect all other computers from the modem
    • boot up your computer into e.g. ubuntu rescue CD or some guaranteed virus-free clean installation operating system

If this gives faster download results than your normal configuration, then it's a problem on your side.  If you're still seeing the same results, then you should contact eircom support.

Note that if you leave anything else at all connected to your internet link while running these (or other) performance tests, or if you run your performance tests over wifi, your results will be skewed and your test results will be meaningless.  Booting your computer into a known clean operating system will avoid problems due to background processes chewing up bandwidth.

Nick

Just to update, overall the situation has hugely improved, can't fault it. *knocks on wood*

Pings to the netherlands, france are 60/70ms whereas before they were 25ms. Not happy from a gaming point of view

Pings to the netherlands, france are 60/70ms whereas before they were 25ms. Not happy from a gaming point of view
    ping ams-ix.net
    PING ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=22.3 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=22.0 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=21.8 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=21.9 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=5 ttl=57 time=22.1 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=6 ttl=57 time=21.8 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=7 ttl=57 time=23.3 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=8 ttl=57 time=21.9 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=9 ttl=57 time=22.5 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=10 ttl=57 time=21.8 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=11 ttl=57 time=22.1 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=12 ttl=57 time=25.6 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=13 ttl=57 time=22.4 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=14 ttl=57 time=22.0 ms
    64 bytes from ha.ams-ix.net (91.200.16.50): icmp_seq=15 ttl=57 time=22.0 ms
    ^C
    --- ams-ix.net ping statistics ---
    15 packets transmitted, 15 received, 0% packet loss, time 14021ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 21.845/22.421/25.667/0.945 ms

Mine are alot higher

Pinging ams-ix.net [91.200.16.50] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 91.200.16.50: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=58
    Reply from 91.200.16.50: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=58

I wonder why?

34du1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks nuxxx
    I have sent this on, we should be seeing better speeds there.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Nets been dropping all night, I'm so pissed off right now. Everytime in game it drops after a few mins and routing is still messed up everywhere. 

Advertisement