Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many sites extremely slow/unusable (past week on eFibre)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

I've noticed slow response times in the evenings, with the browser displaying "Waiting for ..." whatever web page to load...

So, I checked the stats from my SamKnows box, it's not good, this is data for the last week, baseline figure of .5 seconds offpeak, then slows down every evening up to  >2seconds.

gJo7ZTF.png

Any comments Eircom?  I never had sluggish performance like this when I was on Vodafone 7Mb DSL, so I didn't expect it on efibre..

Tony has been good to provide information about this previously, could we have some more please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

_dof_ wrote: »
    I've noticed slow response times in the evenings, with the browser displaying "Waiting for ..." whatever web page to load...

So, I checked the stats from my SamKnows box, it's not good, this is data for the last week, baseline figure of .5 seconds offpeak, then slows down every evening up to  >2seconds.

gJo7ZTF.png

Any comments Eircom?  I never had sluggish performance like this when I was on Vodafone 7Mb DSL, so I didn't expect it on efibre..

Tony has been good to provide information about this previously, could we have some more please?
    are these ping times???

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

evosteo wrote: »
    are these ping times???

no, they're the website load times, which according to their website is:
    The total time taken to fetch a page and all of its resources from a popular website

I don't know which website they use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's 830pm sunday evening - I can't stream youtube (stats for nerds says I'm getting 600Kbps from them - during the day this figure is an acceptable 20000+)  I can switch and do a speed test and still see pretty much my 30Mbps so it's not on my end.

This is now getting beyond a joke - there is a serious problem somewhere in eircom's back end - I have been having "peak" problems for pretty much 2 years, when enough people complain eircom suddenly discover that an undersea cable and say it'll be fixed - they never actually have admitted a problem.

As usual I can turn on a vpn and access youtube via Holland and it speeds up straight away - this is definitely an eircom problem but given they haven't fixed it in 2 years at this stage one must conclude that they're either unwilling or unable to actually fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

pH wrote: »
    It's 830pm sunday evening - I can't stream youtube (stats for nerds says I'm getting 600Kbps from them - during the day this figure is an acceptable 20000+)  I can switch and do a speed test and still see pretty much my 30Mbps so it's not on my end.

This is now getting beyond a joke - there is a serious problem somewhere in eircom's back end - I have been having "peak" problems for pretty much 2 years, when enough people complain eircom suddenly discover that an undersea cable and say it'll be fixed - they never actually have admitted a problem.

As usual I can turn on a vpn and access youtube via Holland and it speeds up straight away - this is definitely an eircom problem but given they haven't fixed it in 2 years at this stage one must conclude that they're either unwilling or unable to actually fix it.
    Which vpn service are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Twitch tv site sometimes works other times doesnt.
    However it works all the time with a vpn,definitely an eircom issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Switching to google DNS sorted the issue with Twitch for me. It did not for YouTube however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Here's the thing with twitch - (I use to watch it quite a bit and on eircom had many problems with it), behind the scenes it chooses a server.  I found that during the daytime hours twitch worked fine for the most part - the evening was a disaster.  However this seemed  to be when twitch decided I should use the french (-fra) servers they just stalled all the time - however when it served up he london (lhr) server streams were for the most part fine.

Your dns change that worked  was a lucky break - this is a backhaul issue, which looks more and more like a throttling systems that screws up for some users.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Dcully wrote: »
    Twitch tv site sometimes works other times doesnt.
    However it works all the time with a vpn,definitely an eircom issue.
    What VPN are you guys using?

I tried privateinternetaccess but I still can't stream 1080p. 

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cyberghost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

Eircom, can you please give us an update on this latest spate of terrible performance?

Is it being investigated, what is the ETA?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Any update at all, Eircom? What work is being done to fix this and when is it expected to be fixed?

We are all paying customers and yet are being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

I'm still waiting for my price increase letter so I can exit my contract

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Just done a speedtest and got .24 mbps .It as being like this for the past few months  every evening (when I use it most)and its really taken the piss.I am paying 70 for broadband and 20 for netflix and spotify when I can only use them at the weekend till around 6 when they then become unusable due to buffering.Reps I want a discount on my monthly bill until this is fixed or I am cancelling at the end of the month 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Eircom is only hurting itself longterm with ESB and Vodaphone providing broadband to rural areas.

From 6 to 12 my internet connection loses two thirds of its speed if its like this on Efibre i am going to be annoyed. 

I can download at 700kb (7 meg ASDL) during the day after six o clock its 186kb its a joke to be honest. Your service is meant to get better after they've asked for a price increase not worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Another dis-satisfied customer - I'm at work most of the day but the times I'm most likely to get on the web - early mornings, evenings, late night - the service is woeful....in fact, I'm posting because I'm trying to open another site but it's taking so long, I knew I had time to post here. Moving to a new place soon - out of my parents - I know that I won't be continuing with eircom and will make sure to change my parents over too - this has been going on for months without any correction or acknowledgement

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ElizKenny

Since i got eFibre these slow downs are actually WORSE with eircom.
    Thaks god i can now get out of that contract with them.
    Obviously Eircom dont care, as you can see from there totally ignoring this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Absolutely crap again tonight. Do you plan on giving an update any time soon? How do I go about getting a discount until this is fixed!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

dave_t wrote: »
    Absolutely crap again tonight. Do you plan on giving an update any time soon? How do I go about getting a discount until this is fixed!?
    Hi Guys
    I know that many of you have been in contact with us before, but I would like to get some answers to the individuals on this thread that have reported this issue. Can I ask that you PM me with your line number again, with brief description of how your service is impacted, ie international issue, peak times, and approx how ling this has been happening in your own case.
    I understand that you may have already supplied this info and it may take a little time to do so again.
    But if you can PM me with this with link to this thread, I will do my best to get answers to your query.
    The honest answer here is that yes some areas may have issues, and I have to be able to identify these as opposed to individual issues.
    I will be back to each PM as soon as I can. I can also post any updates here.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

dave_t wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I know that many of you have been in contact with us before, but I would like to get some answers to the individuals on this thread that have reported this issue. Can I ask that you PM me with your line number again, with brief description of how your service is impacted, ie international issue, peak times, and approx how ling this has been happening in your own case.
    I understand that you may have already supplied this info and it may take a little time to do so again.
    But if you can PM me with this with link to this thread, I will do my best to get answers to your query.
    The honest answer here is that yes some areas may have issues, and I have to be able to identify these as opposed to individual issues.
    I will be back to each PM as soon as I can. I can also post any updates here.
    Tony
    Id say you have 2 weeks to beef up ALL connections that are even remotely close to having issues and fix the DNS servers, or else people will be gone in their droves with this price increase and I know I will be taking as many as possible with me, a price increase for this service..... the person who thought of that should no longer work in your company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Simple fact is that this congestion on Eircoms network started happening sometime around 2 years ago, initially it was just to certain Germany servers and it stayed for that way for around a year, then it began impacting other European servers until eventually all routes seems to be saturated during peak hours.

Around 6 months ago I posted a thread here about international connectivity and Tony replied quote on quote " I think we can rule out the idea of there being an international routing problem " as if what I was saying was some local issue.

The reps here don't know whats going on or are "in the know". This stems from lack of expenditure of expanding Eircoms bandwidth to international sites but continuing to take on customer after customer. It's just the analogy of the more cars there is on the road, the slower they move and the more traffic jams there are 

http://www.cnet.com/news/level-3-accuses-six-broadband-providers-of-degrading-network-traffic/

Now I'm not saying the European ISP in that link above is Eircom, but would you be surprised

If you end up changing make sure you ring up the cancellations department. I got my final bill today and it's 300 euro even though I cancelled a week after receiving the price increase letter, wasn't expecting anything else from them, incompetent on every level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Hi Tony,

Service has improved greatly over the past few weeks. Hopefully it stays that way.

Hi Tony,

Service has improved greatly over the past few weeks. Hopefully it stays that way.
    Hi dalta5billion
    thanks for the feedback, it is great to get some good news.
    Let us know if any change, for better or worse :)
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Not sure it this is the data you are looking for or not but I could not even get twitch to load last night and steaming from youtube was very slow.
    tracert www.twitch.tv

Tracing route to cdn.justin.tv.c.footprint.net [8.254.97.125]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  MitraStar.Home [192.168.1.254]
      2     6 ms     5 ms    14 ms  95.44.96.1
      3     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  86.47.63.205
      4    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  86.43.253.72
      5     *        *       12 ms  86.43.13.38
      6    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  195.16.170.9
      7    27 ms    25 ms    25 ms  ae-0-4.bar1.Dublin1.Level3.net [4.69.153.237]
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Not sure it this is the data you are looking for or not but I could not even get twitch to load last night and steaming from youtube was very slow.
    tracert www.twitch.tv

Tracing route to cdn.justin.tv.c.footprint.net [8.254.97.125]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  MitraStar.Home [192.168.1.254]
      2     6 ms     5 ms    14 ms  95.44.96.1
      3     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  86.47.63.205
      4    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  86.43.253.72
      5     *        *       12 ms  86.43.13.38
      6    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  195.16.170.9
      7    27 ms    25 ms    25 ms  ae-0-4.bar1.Dublin1.Level3.net [4.69.153.237]
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.
    Thanks flyingsnail
    yes, but if you could PM me with your line number also, I can send this on.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

One month on and no change and no replies from my pms.got .3 MBS on a speed test there what a joke .I have sent a pm about cancelling my contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Snowc wrote: »
    One month on and no change and no replies from my pms.got .3 MBS on a speed test there what a  joke .I have sent a pm about cancelling my contract
    Hi Snowc

I'm sorry to hear of this, would you like to PM me details of the issues you are experiencing and I'll look in to this for you further?

Thanks
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Internet getting slow again the past few days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Yes, same here. Have eVision and internet radio in the house, both have been choppy over the last few days and general slowness at times. Hope it's not going downhill again, was excellent until a week or so ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Have eVision and internet radio in the house, both have been choppy over the last few days.

My God. I had no idea that eVision could have issues like that too. Having stop/start television is completely unacceptable. Glad I didn't switch to them for tv as well as their rubbish broadband

Advertisement