Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many sites extremely slow/unusable (past week on eFibre)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

According to Eircoms original statement this is going to be fixed by the end of the week. The service seems to be getting worse not improving. If it's not improved by then I'd suggest everyone make a complaint and try to get some form of reimbursement. 

Amds site doesn't load, ridiculous :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FiReStOrM xIx

nuxxx wrote: »
    According to Eircoms original statement this is going to be fixed by the end of the week. The service seems to be getting worse not improving. If it's not improved by then I'd suggest everyone make a complaint and try to get some form of reimbursement. 

Amds site doesn't load, ridiculous :pac:
    Currently getting speeds of 0.83 mbps download and 18.83 upload .. 12% packet loss .. 152ms ping.... all on a fibre connection.... directly to xbox one .... absolutely sick of this .. Every single night without fail ... i get 98mbps download during the day.... thats stunning the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Currently getting speeds of 0.83 mbps download and 18.83 upload .. 12% packet loss .. 152ms ping.... all on a fibre connection.... directly to xbox one .... absolutely sick of this .. Every single night without fail ... i get 98mbps download during the day.... thats stunning the difference

I was just about to ask what kind of speedtest results people are getting back. I can't get more than 10 mbps download on a 100mbps line

Yeah, all the traceroutes in the world won't make a difference. They need more bandwidth from level 3 communications. Used to take till 8pm a month or so ago before the congestion occurred, now its as early as 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

For christ's sake, now even INEX is gone to crap. I don't know what Eircom are playing at.
    Resolving ftp.heanet.ie (ftp.heanet.ie)... 193.1.193.64, 2001:770:18:aa40::c101:c140
    Connecting to ftp.heanet.ie (ftp.heanet.ie)|193.1.193.64|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 1339555840 (1.2G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

0% [                                       ] 1,206,184    105KB/s  eta 2h 52m ^C

Now this is a total degradation of service. I can't stream anything from Irish servers. YouTube works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Getting less than 1Mb down here...great stuff! 

Will Eircom be compensating people for this shocking service??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

gramo wrote: »

I was just about to ask what kind of speedtest results people are getting back. I can't get more than  10 mbps download on a 100mbps  line
    Just after doing a test using the speedtest.upc.ie facility. Only got a download speed of 4.26 Mb/s. My normal download speed is around 77.

0.53Mb/s tonight, ringing complaints number now and looking for compensation. This has been going on for 2 months too long, been patient enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Really glad I moved to Sky for my broadband, saving €19.99 a month too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lol, this is just a joke.  For weeks we've been told things will improve, and now eFibre is giving me this tonight???

3919889068.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

3919895936.png

Someone taking the piss ??

100mb download

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Last few days its been happening for us too.

OH isn't able to even get on Yarny to get some writing done for NaNo. Its a basic text site and it won't even go to the login page.
    Netflix is working fine.

More bloody annoying than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Really glad I moved to Sky for my broadband, saving €19.99 a month too.

What's the deal with Sky presently?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

WHhat was the change /?   

I have it 2 months, bills have been wrong, service has been dreadfuil but the speed was always 80 or so mb

now im not even getting 1mb?

Surely an eircom rep should be answering these

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

Cant tell you how I know this but I signed up just to let you guys know where to direct your conversations with Eircom.

Describing the problem you are all seeing it should be something like ....

You are all using the F1000 router supplied by Eircom is my guess.
    You are all experiencing full speed after a reboot of the router and sometimes even after you reset your wifi adapter, but after a while all of the devices on your network (but sometimes not all of them) have greatly reduced speed on a speedtest.

The time between a router reboot and going back to slow speeds can be anything between 30 seconds and a few hours but it always happens now.

The problem is the router.  Eircom know this.  
    Eircom have to fix this internally or else get a firmware upgrade out to that router.  They have no firmware upgrade option at the moment so you wont be getting that.  This leaves them with another option internally, a rollback of something deployed recently.  But noone will admit they messed up so thats unlikely to happen for a while.

Keep the pressure on Eircom.  They need to rollback changes that they have recently made, or else get new modems for customers.
    If you are a new customer, DO NOT accept the F1000 whatever you do.

kandoola wrote: »
    Cant tell you how I know this but I signed up just to let you guys know where to direct your conversations with Eircom.

You are all experiencing full speed after a reboot of the router and sometimes even after you reset your wifi adapter, but after a while all of the devices on your network (but sometimes not all of them) have greatly reduced speed on a speedtest.

The time between a router reboot and going back to slow speeds can be anything between 30 seconds and a few hours but it always happens now.

Eircom have to fix this internally or else get a firmware upgrade out to that router.  They have no firmware upgrade option at the moment so you wont be getting that.  This leaves them with another option internally, a rollback of something deployed recently.  But noone will admit they messed up so thats unlikely to happen for a while.

Keep the pressure on Eircom.  They need to rollback changes that they have recently made, or else get new modems for customers.

This is almost definitely a separate issue you are describing here. I'm not saying it doesn't also exist, but there's most definitely an issue with Eircom's transit in general, as nuxx has reported independently.

The problem isn't the router regarding the posts in this thread, Eircom have serious congestion on their links at peak hours. Perhaps the router is giving you additional problems, but for example I'm using a old netopia router and still experience the issues

INEX congestion has just relieved for me.

I thought this thread was about eFibre

Regardless ...  you can bring a horse to water.....

Just trying to help, but sure i'll butt out now then.

• Advertisement

I thought this thread was about eFibre

Regardless ...  you can bring a horse to water.....

Just trying to help, but sure i'll butt out now then.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be abrasive.

I can fully believe that their router is causing problems as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I don't think this is the issue in our house, some media streaming sites are still pretty fast while others are unbelievably slow, and I mean close to 56k territory. Thanks for pointing out the potential problems with the router though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have to laugh at the ad I just heard on the radio: "Get your home ready for Christmas with a half-price bundle from Eircom".

More like "Get ready for you and the kids to be bitterly disappointed as your shiny new internet devices are rendered useless when your eFibre connection bombs after 6pm every day".

Weeks on, not only has this nationwide problem not been resolved, it would actually appear to be getting progressively worse, with no substantive update whatsoever from Eircom.  And yet, the advertising for more customers - that they will not be able to provide service to - continues in earnest.

Some of the replies on the eircom forum are hilarious, paragraph after paragraph of absolute drivel without saying anything at all. Why is it so hard for them to give a one line update with actual information. I feel sorry for the poor feckers being told to ring tech support when its always 95% eircoms fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cam57

Sorry if this has been asked before....if I cancel eircom contact and change to say Vodafone broadband will the service still be the same as with eircom as they're using their line? In other words, if I move will it still be crap elsewhere? 

Cam57 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before....if I cancel eircom contact and change to say Vodafone broadband will the service still be the same as with eircom as they're using their line? In other words, if I move will it still be crap elsewhere? 
    Depends on where the congestion actually is. If it's on eircom's own core network (we don't think so), then changing operator's won't (generally) help. But if the hand off from Eircom to Vodafone is uncongested, then it's up to Vodafone to route your traffic from there. So depending on how Vodafone manages their side of things, you might not experience congestion.

On a side note, I'm downloading at full speed from a Level3-connected host ATM, maybe Eircom finally plugged in another 10Gb port? :D
    INEX seems dodgy still though.

EDIT: sigh, never mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Past 2 days, download speed has jist been deploaranle.. In Limerick city, one fibre, barley breaking 5mbps.. Once ive hit 10..
    Upload has been faster at times for god sake!!

Any answer from eircom.at all?.. Just not good enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Past 2 days, download speed has just been deploaranle.. In Limerick city, on fibre, barley breaking 5mbps.. Once ive hit 10..
    Upload has been faster at times for god sake!!

Any answer from eircom.at all?.. Just not good enough..

For anyone on eFibre there is a solution that Eircom tech support have.  If you call them and repeat what ive posted above and convince them you know for a fact that that is the case you will be put through to a team member who will walk you through a temporary solution.
    It should keep you going.
    If they think they can fob you off though, as usual they will fob you off.
    So call them and tell them that you have heard from someone in Eircom that that is the case as I have outlined above.
    I wont be posting in this thread again because it looks like it will just be too much hassle fielding questions that I really dont have time to answer.
    And what i have said only applies to eFibre only.  I suspect there are many people in this thread with completely different problems, but thinking everyone in the thread has the same problem.

• Advertisement

Routing to the uk seems fine tonight

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.20] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 212.58.244.20: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=52
    Reply from 212.58.244.20: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=52
    Reply from 212.58.244.20: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=52
    Reply from 212.58.244.20: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.20:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 26ms

Pinging multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.26] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=55
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=55
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=55
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 85.236.96.26:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 27ms

The level 3 link 195.16.170.41 doesn't seem saturated anymore

Just as I say that the routing changed and now the pings are bad again? Eircoms should hire some people with a level 5 cert in networking and they'd do a better job

Pings to Netherlands, Germany, France etc still horrendous

Advertisement