Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many sites extremely slow/unusable (past week on eFibre)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

nuxxx wrote: »

The level 3 link 195.16.170.41 doesn't seem saturated anymore
    Congested for me for the Linode speed test
    :~$ wget http://speedtest.london.linode.com/100MB-london.bin -O /dev/null
    --2014-11-19 20:06:54--  http://speedtest.london.linode.com/100MB-london.bin
    Resolving speedtest.london.linode.com (speedtest.london.linode.com)... 176.58.107.39, 2a01:7e00::4b
    Connecting to speedtest.london.linode.com (speedtest.london.linode.com)|176.58.107.39|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

1% [                                       ] 1,592,564   69.4KB/s  eta 19m 22s^C

:~$ traceroute 176.58.107.39
    traceroute to 176.58.107.39 (176.58.107.39), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  MitraStar.Home (192.168.1.254)  4.969 ms  6.560 ms  7.708 ms
     2  95.45.62.1 (95.45.62.1)  17.750 ms  18.668 ms  18.672 ms
     3  86.43.11.49 (86.43.11.49)  15.302 ms  15.383 ms  15.493 ms
     4  tenge-4-1-1.core1.dbn.core.eircom.net (86.43.252.205)  16.389 ms  17.001 ms  17.093 ms
     5  tenge-3-2-1.core1.srl.core.eircom.net (86.43.252.34)  21.054 ms  21.397 ms  21.784 ms
     6  ge3-0-0.peering1.csg.dublin.eircom.net (86.43.244.54)  22.121 ms  10.394 ms  12.643 ms
     7  [b]195.16.170.41[/b] (195.16.170.41)  16.423 ms  14.514 ms  14.460 ms
     8  ae-116-3502.edge3.London1.Level3.net (4.69.166.134)  31.169 ms ae-117-3503.edge3.London1.Level3.net (4.69.166.138)  31.142 ms ae-116-3502.edge3.London1.Level3.net (4.69.166.134)  30.506 ms
     9  ae-118-3504.edge3.London1.Level3.net (4.69.166.142)  30.834 ms ae-115-3501.edge3.London1.Level3.net (4.69.166.130)  67.359 ms  19.387 ms
    10  REDBUS-INTE.edge3.London1.Level3.net (212.113.15.170)  85.655 ms  86.231 ms  86.252 ms
    11  212.111.33.238 (212.111.33.238)  87.741 ms  87.739 ms  88.221 ms
    12  speedtest.london.linode.com (176.58.107.39)  86.219 ms  86.718 ms  86.731 ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yap, spoke too soon

Pinging multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.26] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=55
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=55
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=55
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 85.236.96.26:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 124ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 129ms

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

I thought their whole sales point on efibre was 1:1 ratio ?

No congested lines etc

SO why is their peak times with slower speeds according to eircom

savic04 wrote: »
    I thought their whole sales point on efibre was 1:1 ratio ?

No congested lines etc

SO why is their peak times with slower speeds according to eircom

AFAIK only the "NGB" ADSL packages are sold as "uncongested" by eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Anyway, uncongested is a marketing term, it does not mean uncontended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

There are many specific scenarios that are a problem here.

OK heres an example of one of the scenarios that cause this issue with the F1000.

Anyone with a Moto G gen 2 phone on Eircoms eFibre with an F1000 router do this.

Turn off your router.
    Turn off all devices connected to the router.
    Turn off your phone and leave it off.
    Turn the router back on and only connect your PC / laptop.  Leave everything else off for the moment.

Do a few speed tests over the next 30 mins or so.  You should get full speed in them all.

Turn all of your devices on again except for your phone.

Do more speed tests and you should still get full speeds.

Now.

Turn your phone back on and let it connect to the router.

You will notice within an hour or so that your network, pings, speeds etc are all over the place again.

This is just one of the many unique equipment combinations that are a problem.
    If you fit that descriptions call Eircom and tell them that.
    They will then walk you through the steps to prevent this issue.

Anyone else can call Eircom and tell them what combination of equipment you have and see if they have a walkthrough for your particular setup.

The reason they wont admit the problem is that there are just too many combinations that cause the problem, all requiring a different fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

Has anyone successfully switched from e-fibre to vodafone fibre?

I'm being told by vodafone that it is not possible to switch from e-fibre - I have to cancel the e-fibre first and go without internet while I wait for vodafone to process my application. I was hoping to have no/minimal down time.

What have your experiences been?

Thanks

brookedave wrote: »

I'm being told by vodafone that it is not possible to switch from e-fibre - I have to cancel the e-fibre first and go without internet while I wait for vodafone to process my application. I was hoping to have no/minimal down time.

Thanks

Do not do this.  If you disconnect your eFibre you may never get it again.
    Only switch if Vodafone will do the whole switch for you.  That way they are responsible if you cant get fibre after its done.
    If they wont do it this way then you are better off away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's very unlikely the modem is the main issue here. This issue is relatively new and there are varying results depending on routing and server tested etc. 

Ive already posted how a subset of people with this problem can prove where the problem lies.
    I have details about 30 other combinations of equipment that cause the issue sitting on my desk, but its not possible to post them all.
    When other people who do the test I suggested then maybe others wont be so dismissive and will be able to figure out a way to get on to Eircom to sort out their own particular issue.

Its too much effort trying to help here tbh.

• Advertisement

What's your agenda kandoola? You could have a nuclear test site beside your router, it's not gonna change the fact Eircoms links out of Dublin into Europe are congested

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

I heard that Eircom has been having DNS issues  . . . .

Are you using Eircom DNS? Try Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 )

See does it make a difference

What's your agenda kandoola? You could have a nuclear test site beside your router, it's not gonna change the fact Eircoms links out of Dublin into Europe are congested
    I was just trying to help, without giving away who i am.
    But if you all know better then work away yourselves.
    At least those who fit the description i posted will be ok now anyway.

Changing the DNS wont help.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

brookedave wrote: »

Thanks

I done this back in August. Cancelled efiber and moved to vodafone fiber as I was having serious problems with eircom.

It did take a few weeks to get sorted and I was left without broadband for about 3 weeks.

I did need to cancel my eircom account first then get a normal DSL line activated with vodafone (though this line never actually worked as I was never physically disconnected from the Cab.) Then I had to put an order through for vodafone fiber. Which initially involved an engineer visit but done nothing as he couldnt understand why I was connected to a port on the cabinet already.

Anyway look through my thread I had on the vodadone forum and it'll give you a guide as what to expect.

I must say though Vodafone are considerably more reliable that eircom and the hassle was definitely worth it in the end.

kandoola wrote: »

Unless the router is actually slowing down connection to certain IP ranges, what the users in this thread have been describing and collecting data on is almost certainly attributable to congested peerings on Eircom's side of things.

Maybe a new thread would help users with symptoms you describe?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

I have put eFibre into several offices and never saw an appreciable difference . . .

At the end of the day, it's fibre as far as the cabinet on the street so if there is a difficulty with the copper between that cabinet and your modem you are still in the same place . . .

I feel that it's misleading people to call it eFibre

Very little congestion at INEX for me tonight (if any it's very small). 
    Level3 remains completely congested.
    LINX appears relatively uncongested.
    YouTube's peering is holding up just fine.

Very little congestion at INEX for me tonight (if any it's very small). 
    Level3 remains completely congested.
    LINX appears relatively uncongested.
    YouTube's peering is holding up just fine.
    Good to hear. From a gaming perspective anywhere outside of Ireland still has triple or quadruple latency for me compared to non peak hours. Generally I test 2 servers in the UK,NL,DE and FR

Unless the router is actually slowing down connection to certain IP ranges, what the users in this thread have been describing and collecting data on is almost certainly attributable to congested peerings on Eircom's side of things.

You solve their problems then.
    Im out.

Im out.
    Bye now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Im out.
    Bye now.
    Hi Guys

to add to our post two weeks ago, where we advised of work being done to resolve these issues we have the following information.

Over the past two weeks, we have added additional network capacity to support our broadband services. Customers should now be experiencing improved performance to many sites, including YouTube.

Further capacity to other networks will be added next week, and we will update you once this is in place.

We do appreciate your patience in this and will post here as soon as we have more information.

If you do have any further queries on this issue please post us here or check out our Announcements section on our forum here

Tony

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Im out.
    Bye now.
    Hi Guys

to add to our post two weeks ago, where we advised of work being done to resolve these issues we have the following information.

Over the past two weeks, we have added additional network capacity to support our broadband services. Customers should now be experiencing improved performance to many sites, including YouTube.

Further capacity to other networks will be added next week, and we will update you once this is in place.

We do appreciate your patience in this and will post here as soon as we have more information.

If you do have any further queries on this issue please post us here or check out our Announcements section on our forum here

Tony
    In the light of this ongoing debacle how can any Eircom customer have any confidence in Eircom's ability to manage network capacity on an ongoing basis and provide the basic service that you are being paid for?

It also infuriates me when companies presume upon customers's patience! Given the lousy service how can customers do anything else but put up with what is being dished out - it doesn't mean they are being patient with the mess.

Can anyone from eircom answer me this 

The salesman knocked at the door and said 

'you probably find there are slow hours on your current provider, as their service isnt 1:1 , ours is, so if you get 80mb speed now it will never drop...

now mine is gone from 79mb to under 10mb today and during the week it was 0.86!!  just above dial up, 

I am eFbire 100mb, have been known to get 80 or so .. 

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

savic04 wrote: »
    Can anyone from eircom answer me this 

The salesman knocked at the door and said 

'you probably find there are slow hours on your current provider, as their service isnt 1:1 , ours is, so if you get 80mb speed now it will never drop...

now mine is gone from 79mb to under 10mb today and during the week it was 0.86!!  just above dial up, 

I am eFbire 100mb, have been known to get 80 or so .. 
    75-90 mb, down to 1.5mb all week at peak times. It went from shoddy routing making popular sites unusable, to Eircom throttling e-fibre customers in the hopes that it would ease congestion. Of course they'll tell you otherwise, and swear blind they've never heard of the word throttling (like they did to me recently). 

I've never dealt with such a ****ty company before in my life. Everything from their customer service, down to the "service" they actually provide, is an absolute class-A **** up. Cannot wait until this contract is up and I can walk.... though I'm sure they'll somehow make a balls of me no longer being on their network too.

Surely there is a way out with the 'false advertising'  why should speed ever drop if eFibre is 1:1 ratio ?

Other then genuine outtages with storms, cable/cabinets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Living in ardee Co. Louth,  broadband speed is very slow,  fluctuates from. 2mbps to 3mbps.
    Used toget a steady 4 - 5 mbps which I was happy with 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

skydish79 wrote: »
    Living in ardee Co. Louth,  broadband speed is very slow,  fluctuates from. 2mbps to 3mbps.
    Used toget a steady 4 - 5 mbps which I was happy with 
    Thread is about efibre. You should create your own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Phoenix1608

I'm told to be patient,three months later internet is still unusable at peak times,that and phone-bill raised due to continually calling support.Waste of time and empty promises.After Christmas I Plan on moving providers and never looking back.

Would you guys be happy to pay for Sky Digital if 90% of the channels didn't work at night, and they kept billing you the full amount. It's an absolute disgrace the carry on of Eircom. Over 100 euro every bill and they can't even get simple things right like online gaming or downloading. 

• Advertisement

I dare the reps to tell people here how many people have left Eircom to get eFibre with another provider only to find that when the new provider tried to set it up that suddenly their line could not handle eFibre anymore.

Just so people can make a judgement on how difficult it is to go with another provider for eFibre.

Advertisement