Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many sites extremely slow/unusable (past week on eFibre)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Has anyone tried to cancel there service? I called today and was advised to wait till someone deals with my official complaint. If I leave now I will be subject to penaltys because I'm still in contract. Once someone deals with my complaint the penaltys could be waved.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

gramo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to cancel there service? I called today and was advised to wait till someone deals with my official complaint. If I leave now I will be subject to penaltys because I'm still in contract. Once someone deals with my complaint the penaltys could be waved.
    I called into the cancellation department and told them to release me from the contract which they say they did.
    But I had 3 engineers down to my house before that. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

flamegrill wrote: »
    Saw them upgrade their port in Amsterdam to 20GigE this morning during a maintenance window. That'll be good for some stuff at least!
    flamegrill wrote: »
    We peer there, they announced it to the mailing list a few days ago for this morning. They are also doing a round of upgrades so I think they're on it!

He's talking about AMS-IX I presume, which is a large enough exchange. Hopefully this should alleviate some congestion for certain European sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Finally some positive news! :)

Big improvement to some servers tonight

Amsterdam

Pinging 149.210.140.21 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 149.210.140.21: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=57
    Reply from 149.210.140.21: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=57
    Reply from 149.210.140.21: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=57
    Reply from 149.210.140.21: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 149.210.140.21:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 35ms

UK

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.18] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 212.58.244.18: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=53
    Reply from 212.58.244.18: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.18:
        Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 22ms

FR ( still higher than non peak time +15ms  but 40 is alot better than 120 )

Pinging batonix.com [91.121.119.214] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 91.121.119.214: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=56
    Reply from 91.121.119.214: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=56
    Reply from 91.121.119.214: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=56
    Reply from 91.121.119.214: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 91.121.119.214:
        Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 39ms

DE

Pinging 80.82.215.118 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 80.82.215.118: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=56
    Reply from 80.82.215.118: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 80.82.215.118:
        Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 45ms

Alot of servers still have high latency, hopefully more work continues during the week, all people want is a stable connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

I still can't play youtube...

It was ok for some time a few days ago but went bad again

This is disturbing.

Eircom is prioritising INEX traffic to Vodafone, Three and Digiweb, who just happen to be the on the Dublin speedtest.net list.

HEAnet however, who are always busy (as they act as a mirror), are not prioritised.

Very suspicious. Any comment Tony/Alan?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My eircom broadband is so slow it takes 20 minutes for chrome to even open on my laptop. Eircom, Sort It out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Youtube etc was fine for me last few night but gone to the dogs again tonight, i thought this was fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Akrasia wrote: »
    My eircom broadband is so slow it takes 20 minutes for chrome to even open on my laptop. Eircom, Sort It out.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

That sounds more like you need to upgrade to a new computer tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'm going to assume you're not trolling. The speed at which chrome opens on your laptop has nothing to do with Eircom, I'd suggest you go to another thread for that and get some support for your laptop itself.

Additionally, can people please read the OP. This thread is specifically relating to efibre and problems (specifically speeds) related to certain websites. If your problem relates to another issue, please create a thread of one doesn't currently exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

The only way the Internet can cause your computer to freeze is when it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every few seconds, or if you're downloading faster than your computer can process the data. You should check Task Manager to see your CPU usage:

88OQqVQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Hi, I'm connecting up to efibre this week and have been watching this thread with interest. 
    With postings dropping off, is this a sign that the international link is working much better now (e.g. to Steam servers)?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dom1978

fisab wrote: »
    Hi, I'm connecting up to efibre this week and have been watching this thread with interest. 
    With postings dropping off, is this a sign that the international link is working much better now (e.g. to Steam servers)?

I'm not on eFibre, but have had the same speed problems mentioned here (in Midleton). Rang support, got some joy (up from ~1MB/s to 10MB/s) but it only lasted a few days before it went back down.
    Edit: I'm paying for 20MB/s

Can only go on my experience with the company and I would strongly advise against signing a contract with Eircom. Nothing but problems the last 2 or 3 years. Although some improvements have been made there is still alot of congestion at peak hours. Why not go with vodafone instead? If you check their talk to forum there is no mention of congestion on their links

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

nuxxx wrote: »

Can only go on my experience with the company and I would strongly advise against signing a contract with Eircom. Nothing but problems the last 2 or 3 years. Although some improvements have been made there is still alot of congestion at peak hours. Why not go with vodafone instead? If you check their talk to forum there is no mention of congestion on their links
    Be warned. Vodafone charge for exceeding their fair usage policy of 300GB.

Latency is fixed to pretty much every server I tried

Pinging de1.ut99.pro [80.82.215.118] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 80.82.215.118: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=56
    Reply from 80.82.215.118: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 80.82.215.118:
        Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 37ms

Pinging multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.26] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54
    Reply from 85.236.96.26: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 85.236.96.26:
        Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 23ms

I'm glad Eircom kept to their word with the 3 weeks announcement and it appears to be fixed. It's really nice to have a stable connection at peak hours and that's all most people want to keep them happy imo. I hope I won't have to post here again being a pain in the ass to Eircom reps so hopefully it remains stable

INEX remains congested at peak times, but bearably so. Eircom continues to prioritise Speedtest.net servers via INEX. While Eircom may be just be prioritising the most popular INEX peers, you have to admit it looks bad when everything that isn't a Speedtest.net server crawls in comparison.

Eircom's LINX peerings appear to be less congested than INEX, for me at least.

The Level3 peering is still heavily congested for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Noticeably better for me most of the time, but I notice my SamKnows box still shows that my downstream speed is dropping off every evening from 27Mb/sec to half of that or less. I'd embed a picture of the chart but I don't have 50 posts yet.

They download from Irish sites (I think they replied to dalta5billion in another thread with that information), so probably impacted by INEX congestion.
    Dalta5billion, do you still have a SamKnows box, and if so, what dow your graph show?

• Advertisement

_dof_ wrote: »
    Noticeably better for me most of the time, but I notice my SamKnows box still shows that my downstream speed is dropping off every evening from 27Mb/sec to half of that or less. I'd embed a picture of the chart but I don't have 50 posts yet.

They download from Irish sites (I think they replied to dalta5billion in another thread with that information), so probably impacted by INEX congestion.
    Dalta5billion, do you still have a SamKnows box, and if so, what dow your graph show?
    Not any longer. Maybe upload it to imgur and post the link in a roundabout way here?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

fwiw, INEX posts live network diagrams on its network weathermap at:

https://www.inex.ie/technical/weathermaps

You should be able to see from the graphs that INEX's core is not congested - the busiest trunk links run at less than 50% at peak times.  So it would be helpful to steer clear of phrases like "INEX remains congested at peak times" and "impacted by INEX congestion".

Nick

You should be able to see from the graphs that INEX's core is not congested - the busiest trunk links run at less than 50% at peak times.  So it would be helpful to steer clear of phrases like "INEX remains congested at peak times" and "impacted by INEX congestion".

Nick

Apologies Nick, I was just repeating the reference to INEX congestion mentioned by dalta5billion. It looks like ther isn't any INEX congestion at all, thanks for the informative link.

Maybe upload it to imgur and post the link in a roundabout way here?

Here's the graph that samknows generates for downstream speed for my efibre connection for the last 7 days:

imgur.com/lVkr367

Seems to be a drop in speed every evening during peak times, but maybe that's to be expected. Looks like it improved steadily for a few days then
    a few more big drops started appearing..

Anyway, it's mostly much improved since the capacity improvements were put in place.

fwiw, INEX posts live network diagrams on its network weathermap at:

https://www.inex.ie/technical/weathermaps

Nick

Hi Nick

I see what you mean. I meant that Eircom's port(s) at /route to INEX appear congested. The blame for this clearly doesn't lie with ye at INEX.

Quick question as you're here: if an INEX member runs out of capacity, how long does it take for INEX to provision an additional port?

Any ideas or opinions on a genuine reason why Eircom would have to be prioritising traffic to Digiweb, Three and Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

Hi Nick

I see what you mean. I meant that Eircom's port(s) at /route to INEX appear congested. The blame for this clearly doesn't lie with ye at INEX.

Quick question as you're here: if an INEX member runs out of capacity, how long does it take for INEX to provision an additional port?
    same day.
    Any ideas or opinions on a genuine reason why Eircom would have to be prioritising traffic to Digiweb, Three and Vodafone?
    I haven't seen any evidence of this and would be surprised if they were doing it on their own network. Service prioritisation for traffic going in the direction from inex to eircom would need to be done by inex and like all internet exchanges, inex doesn't do traffic prioritisation.  If you're seeing a difference in performance between traffic to/from these three networks and others, it's probably caused by something else.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Down to 3.5 Mbps on a 100Mbps line tonight. It's a disgrace whats been going on with eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

gramo wrote: »
    Down to 3.5 Mbps on a 100Mbps line tonight. It's a disgrace whats been going on with eircom
    Hi gramo

Very sorry to hear this, speeds of 3MB on a 100Mb service is indeed disappointing - do please PM me your efibre account number and I will have this looked in to further.

Thanks
    AL

Pings are bad again tonight, who was I kidding. Really disappointing, it was perfect there for a few days

• Advertisement

Advertisement