Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modified Car Problem?!?!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

OP can we have a pic of the bmw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Couple cards handed out. Please use a more civil tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

OP can we have a pic of the bmw

+1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

I can't post any URL's as i'm a new user...

Daaryl wrote: »
    I can't post any URL's as i'm a new user...

pity, i think subtle beemers are lovely looking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Boards.ie fact is that every BMW leaves the factory as the perfect driving machine and cannot be improved upon in any way. This is unlike many other makes of car, particularly japaneasy ones, which can easily be made way faster because they leave the factory as a badly put together pile of scrap so any parts replaced on the driveway are an improvement. You can make an WRX STI Impreza faster using aftermarket parts FFS! Sure they had to do it just so it could get around the TT course without killing the pilot and a load of spectators.

Interslice wrote: »
    Boards.ie fact is that every BMW leaves the factory as the perfect driving machine and cannot be improved upon in any way. This is unlike many other makes of car, particularly japaneasy ones, which can easily be made way faster because they leave the factory as a badly put together pile of scrap so any parts replaced on the driveway are an improvement. You can make an WRX STI Impreza faster using aftermarket parts FFS! Sure they had to do it just so it could get around the TT course without killing the pilot and a load of spectators.

:0 that's a very vw/audi attitude!!
    gwan, admit your jealous of lads in sweet looking jap cars :)
    and aren't Scooby doos new Zealand planned and put together in Japan to their specs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This has annoyed me for sometime and it's time for a rant..

I have a bmw 318is, It's lowered, Loud exhuast, Back wheels are cambered due to it being low.. Any time i'm always out driving in it there's always one person that tailgates or has to drive aggressively behind me or try and race me, It's more old lads in their bmw's and audi's that do it, When i come to speedramps i know it annoys few people that i have to go slow over them, Even when my car wasn't lowered i don't go fast over them.. I don't see why people treat others who have modified cars on the road differently and have no respect for them to those who don't, I know there's alot of other people out there who treat everybody on the road the same, But it's generally old people or people in new audi's, bmw's and mercedes who are more dangerous on the road and alot of them should have their license took off them, And i'm not saying all young lads are good drivers but there's a percentage of young lads that are actually good drivers!.. Rant over!
    Are those modified cars easy to insure without telling lies to your insurance company? What about passing the NCT? I know of a few around Carlow who have all the original parts and put the car back to the way it should be before going for the NCT. There are also some that use the roads around the town as a testing ground for their uninsured death traps.
    YbFocus wrote: »
    None of these things are any real use on the road but for where coilovers are meant to be they are second to none.
    Agreed that modified cars should be banned outside of private tracks.
    Coilovers get you through any given corner as quickly as that car can manage AND much quicker than a standard setup car.
    How quick is too quick?
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-of-the-road-eng.pdf
    A vehicle must not be driven at a speed exceeding that which will enable its
    driver to bring it to a halt within a distance the driver can see to be clear.
    Just in case anyone had forgotten.
    2. Definitely agree that some do not declare mods without a doubt but that is a given with any type of driver. Some don't declare points, some don't bring qualified drivers with them. Hell, some don't even get insurance!
    So there is a certain level of illegality involved with modified cars from illegally tinted windows and illegal tyres to other serious breaches like false declarations to insurance companies and changing parts for the NCT then placing illegal parts back on the vehicle.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Agreed that modified cars should be banned outside of private tracks.

What a idiotic thing to say, Why should people who modify cars be only allowed to use them on track??

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are those modified cars easy to insure without telling lies to your insurance company? What about passing the NCT? I know of a few around Carlow who have all the original parts and put the car back to the way it should be before going for the NCT. There are also some that use the roads around the town as a testing ground for their uninsured death traps.

Death traps really? The matter of the fact is anybody that is into modding cars keep them up 110% standard and they're more safer then most cars on the road, In fact my bm has got new polybushes, Brand new tires, M3 LSD, New lowering springs, New wishbones and few other bits and bobs, Now what makes that a ball of scrap, And in fact the NCT is a joke anyway! Most people don't declare mods as it's hard to insure certain cars anyway! My insurance is nearly 3k!!

And it passed the NCT first time with all that stuff done to it, So my car is far from a ball of ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Most people don't declare mods as it's hard to insure certain cars anyway!

The reason it's hard to insure modified cars is that the insurance company have an enormous database on crashes, and they know that modified cars get into more accidents.

So maybe modded cars are less safe on average, or people who drive modded cars are less safe on average.

I think it's both.

The reason it's hard to insure modified cars is that the insurance company have an enormous database on crashes, and they know that modified cars get into more accidents.

So maybe modded cars are less safe on average, or people who drive modded cars are less safe on average.

I think it's both.

No.. Not everybody who spends thousands upon thousands on their is going to drive like a asshole, This is the thing people don't realise, You wouldn't put thousands into a car and drive it like a asshole, You'd mind it like a baby, People who buy cheap corollas, civics, golfs etc They're the problem, Not somebody who spends thousands on a car and takes it handy everywhere! It's not just people who drive modified cars are bad drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

somebody who spends thousands on a car and takes it handy everywhere!

Spends thousands on their car to make it more like a race/track car, drives it around 'handy' everywhere.

Seems Legit.

Spends thousands on their car to make it more like a race/track car, drives it around 'handy' everywhere.

Seems Legit.

You do realise not everybody is like that, There's always going to be a few bad sheeps in everything!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

People who buy cheap corollas, civics, golfs etc They're the problem,

The difference between your opinion, my opinion and the insurance companies opinion is that they have the data, and we don't.

They load modified cars. They do not load cheap corollas.

You do realise not everybody is like that, There's always going to be a few bad sheeps in everything!!

I would agree,

I would also guess that a higher percentage of modded car drivers drive like idiots compared to the percentage of un-modded car drivers who drive like idiots.

I would agree,

I would also guess that a higher percentage of modded car drivers drive like idiots compared to the percentage of un-modded car drivers who drive like idiots.

Middle aged men in their big audi's, Mercedes, Bmw's that think they own the road are worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have to agree with the op.

I did the whole jap modded car thing about 8 years ago. Had a mint R32 Skyline GTR.

It actually became funny. You would pull up at the lights and everybody had to race you. Lads in other modded cars, reps in audis and lads in their mams Nissan micra :)

People assume that because you have a quick car you want to race everybody and tear around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm a middle-aged duffer with leather elbow-patches, a tweed cap and a big comfy old sofa of a Jag. When I see a slammed and pimped entry-level BMW the tweed cap gets turned backwards and it's the full Fast'n'Furious on his bitch-azz y'all oh hell yeah. :cool:

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    I have to agree with the op.

I did the whole jap modded car thing about 8 years ago. Had a mint R32 Skyline GTR.

It actually became funny. You would pull up at the lights and everybody had to race you. Lads in other modded cars, reps in audis and lads in their mams Nissan micra :)

People assume that because you have a quick car you want to race everybody and tear around the place.

All BMW drivers are ****, that's a given. Then you have shaven-headed thugs in white T-shirts with bigger tits than their council-estate facelifted girlfriends in 2l diesel Passats and A4s, they're very angry as well for some reason. Anyone in a C-class Merc is going to be dodgy, as they'll have huge inadequacy complexes and possibly abandonment issues. So it really is quite a jungle out there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

jimgoose wrote: »
    All BMW drivers are ****, that's a given. Then you have shaven-headed thugs in white T-shirts with bigger tits than their council-estate facelifted girlfriends in 2l diesel Passats and A4s, they're very angry as well for some reason. Anyone in a C-class Merc is going to be dodgy, as they'll have huge inadequacy complexes and possibly abandonment issues. So it really is quite a jungle out there. :D

Oh dear. I have a c class.

Daddy ! Why did you leave me !!! Was I not a good enough son for you.

Also, feel free to cut out and keep this handy guide to Mercedes-Benz drivers:

10-year-old S-Class: I am bowel-evacuatingly wealthy. Fuck off.
    30-year-old S-Class: I am Idi Amin.
    10-year-old E-Class: I am an antique dealer and possibly a part-time farmer.
    30-year-old E-Class: I am a somewhat down-at-heel aristocrat. Bonus points are awarded for estate models.
    10-year-old C-Class: I am a blithering idiot.
    30-year-old C-Class: I live on top of a mountain in Mayo. I haven't had a bath since 1987 and recently married one of my goats.

30-year-old E-Class: I am a somewhat down-at-heel aristocrat. Bonus points are awarded for estate models.
    30-year-old C-Class: I live on top of a mountain in Mayo. I haven't had a bath since 1987 and recently married one of my goats.

Finally this thread has found it's feet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Also, feel free to cut out and keep this handy guide to Mercedes-Benz drivers:

Not gonna lie, I cracked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Thank you for that handy guide.

I have come to the conclusion I am a dodgy idiot, and occasionally a 3rd world dictator :D

dgt wrote: »
    Thank you for that handy guide.

I have come to the conclusion I am a dodgy idiot, and occasionally a 3rd world dictator :D

Good maun, hi. I was a down-at-heel aristocrat there for a week or so last February. :pac:

Tzardine wrote: »
    Oh dear. I have a c class.

Daddy ! Why did you leave me !!! Was I not a good enough son for you.

Hmm. Would you say you were a hill-farmer with an unorthodox view of animal husbandry, or more of a blithering idiot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Anyone for some popcorn? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

djflawless wrote: »
    :0 that's a very vw/audi attitude!!
    gwan, admit your jealous of lads in sweet looking jap cars :)
    and aren't Scooby doos new Zealand planned and put together in Japan to their specs??

Drunk post makes no sense. I 've a jap car myself sure. Point was that BMW/AUDI drivers seem to think there cars come out of the factory as good as they can get, even in stock paddy spec 318 form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Death traps really? The matter of the fact is anybody that is into modding cars keep them up 110% standard and they're more safer then most cars on the road, In fact my bm has got new polybushes, Brand new tires, M3 LSD, New lowering springs, New wishbones and few other bits and bobs, Now what makes that a ball of scrap, And in fact the NCT is a joke anyway! Most people don't declare mods as it's hard to insure certain cars anyway! My insurance is nearly 3k!!

"modding cars" and "110% standard" aren't they just contradictions of each other..?

Or, am I missing something here..? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Have to say if I see a slammed car with lots of useless tack hanging off it, I treat them the same as any Micra or L driver, stay well back.

"modding cars" and "110% standard" aren't they just contradictions of each other..?

Or, am I missing something here..? :confused:

People who modify cars do it for a hobby right, Now say if something breaks they'll change it asap then most people who leave it on the long finger if you understand me and 90% of the people who modify cars put bigger brakes, better tires etc on their cars.. Changing the smallest thing on your car is called modifying it! So there fore 99% of every car is modified in a way, But you'll prob won't notice it, From changing the tire size for example, Your car comes on 165/55/15 But you change it to 185/55/15 for better grip and better tires that's modifying as you're changing something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

I have no problem with those clowns, biggest problem with modified cars in Ireland is not being able to insure them properly.
    the clowns are the ones with the big loud exhauts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

People who modify cars do it for a hobby right, Now say if something breaks they'll change it asap then most people who leave it on the long finger if you understand me and 90% of the people who modify cars put bigger brakes, better tires etc on their cars.. Changing the smallest thing on your car is called modifying it! So there fore 99% of every car is modified in a way, But you'll prob won't notice it, From changing the tire size for example, Your car comes on 165/55/15 But you change it to 185/55/15 for better grip and better tires that's modifying as you're changing something..

Oh right, that makes sense alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yorker wrote: »
    the clowns are the ones with the big loud exhauts

Lolling as SG's old Focus ST had twin pipes that would wake the dead and you could fit your first in them. :pac:

On a performance car, it's not just loud for the sake of loud. Importing airflow (when done correctly) can improve power and throttle response. :)

Sitec wrote: »
    Oh right, that makes sense alright.

It's true though?

When servicing have you always used OEM, dealer parts?
    Nope? After market?

Well I sure hope you've declared that mod. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I don't give a hot sh1te really what anyone else drives.(except Renaults, I fcuking hate the things.) But I wish to point a few things out to Daaryl.
    1. Lowering springs, but no lowering shocks to match? There's a risk of the spring becoming unseated as it's shorter than original.
    2. Polybushes, lowering springs as mentioned, LSD, all help stiffen and tighten everything up, right? Probably handles very well actually. In the dry. The same can't be said in the wet. The stiffer it is, it might initially grip better, but if it lets go, it'll just snap out. And part of the reason the car comes from the factory as it does.
    3. Fair play on the new tyres. I won't make assumptions, just to say good branded tyres are worth every penny extra over cheaper brands.

Take all this as constructive criticism, and from someone who knows what they're talking about.

pablo128 wrote: »
    ...lowering springs as mentioned, LSD, all help stiffen and tighten everything up, right? Probably handles very well actually. In the dry. The same can't be said in the wet. The stiffer it is, it might initially grip better, but if it lets go, it'll just snap out. And part of the reason the car comes from the factory as it does...

What him say. Hint: NSR500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I find the best way to deal with aggressive drivers is to have enough power to embarrass them in a vehicle that really shouldn't have it, 300hp is a good number to have. So in essence you should lob a M3 engine in.

I find the best way to deal with aggressive drivers is to have enough power to embarrass them in a vehicle that really shouldn't have it, 300hp is a good number to have. So in essence you should lob a M3 engine in.

Can this be our new answer to everything? :p

Advertisement