Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

PeadarB wrote: »
    Lucernian I have no doubt that LKY1_007, which appears to be the furthest from the exchange at 4.7km as the crow flies, will be done. It should have the core fibre in place already, as suggested by yourself. LKY1_038 at Killyclug is 3km from the exchange as the crow flies. LKY1_027, just over from it is already serving the surrounding housing estates with duct fed FTTH already in place, as reported on their video.
    The housing density at Roughpark and Ballymaleel should lent itself quite well for FTTH, in my opinion. A quick check of existing eircom manholes and pole drops, if any, should indicate civils already in situ that will be utilised for FTTH. The FTTH runs around me in Ballyboe/Glencar all seem to originate at the respective cabs, though I stand to be corrected on this. One of the MCS lads said that each DP will serve no more than 8 premises where feasible.
    Bearing in mind that the initial FTTC rollout took no more than 12 -15 months throughout Letterkenny exchange area, from inception, I have no doubt that the FTTH rollout will be both extensive and rapid but initally demand led. MCS, a Northern company, with some KNN input are doing the core fibre runs through existing ducts. At the pace they are going up our way, it wont take too long to cover the whole exchange area. The final "blowing" to premises will be a different story I suspect, but given the experience of the staff involved it will be no problem for eircom.
    Are they doing *every* DP served by that cabinet?! How far from the cabinet are they going to go in Letterkenny? Like what about this DP? It's a good couple of km from the nearest possible cabinet in Ballymacool. https://goo.gl/maps/AhJJi

Anyway thanks for the very useful info! Especially the part about the 1:8 core split. That is fantastic news for initial service provision but I suspect with that kind of rollout that some runs will need to be split in two otherwise the max potential number of customers served from a cabinet would be 160.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

rob808 wrote: »
    And this is FTTH. Looks like a 5 year plan but eircom have developed the knack of rolling these plane out well within their initial timeframes. Hope the NBP people are taking serious note of this committment by eircom.

Are they doing *every* DP served by that cabinet?! How far from the cabinet are they going to go in Letterkenny? Like what about this DP? It's a good couple of km from the nearest possible cabinet in Ballymacool. https://goo.gl/maps/AhJJi

Anyway thanks for the very useful info! Especially the part about the 1:8 core split. That is fantastic news for initial service provision but I suspect with that kind of rollout that some runs will need to be split in two otherwise the max potential number of customers served from a cabinet would be 160.
    Churchill is on the new FTTH plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

And this is FTTH. Looks like a 5 year plan but eircom have developed the knack of rolling these plane out well within their initial timeframes. Hope the NBP people are taking serious note of this committment by eircom.
    Better to take that business now, rather than risk losing it to SIRO.

Have they said at any point how far they are prepared to run the fibre (FTTH, not FTTC) from the exchange or cabinet. I'm 6km from Blackwater Bridge, so I guess thats out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's a rather disappointing announcement for Louth. Just one exchange area announced. I really hope the Drogheda rollout will take advantage of some of the ducting that extends out to rural areas around the town at least!
    PeadarB wrote:
    Churchill is on the new FTTH plan.
    That DP appears to be in the Letterkenny area, going by the eircom wholesale map. I've double-checked. I guess my question is whether they'll roll out FTTH to DPs supplied by overhead 30-pair cables over 2km from a cabinet, like that one I linked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Argh, I'm stuck in the middle of these areas :P FTTH 5km either side of me :( Although hopefully it will be a good thing whenever the NBP gets underway...

That DP appears to be in the Letterkenny area, going by the eircom wholesale map. I've double-checked. I guess my question is whether they'll roll out FTTH to DPs supplied by overhead 30-pair cables over 2km from a cabinet, like that one I linked?
    That DP is at at Dooen, Newmills on the Churchill Road. LKY1_022 at Ballymacool is the nearest cab at 4.3km as the crow flies. The ares is covered in one off ribbon developments as far as Churchill. Eircom have a relatively new pole infrastructure all the way out there and to my mind should come within the FTTH footprint.
    The Belcarra rollout in Mayo encompasses ribbon development and this new announcement would seem to indicate their readiness to serve areas dotted with ribbon development. One of the eircom engineers I spoke with recently said that the eircom staff were concentrating on outlying areas around Letterkenny and provisioning for additional fibre connectivity in the more rural areas. He didn't eleborate unfortunately. KNN are in and out of the exchange building in the town like fiddlers elbows, while MCS are running out the fibre for FTTH in the town (at least up our end of town). To be honest speculation is rife, but when they announce plans like this, we can use evidence from their own videos etc., to make "educated" calls on methodology and rollout practice. As I've said in previous posts I'm no expert but I'm enjoying the educational experience given by yourself and other more enlightened posters here.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

That's unbelievable to be honest. It's hard to see eircom not winning the NBP, now that it'll probably cost the state only half to two thirds of what it would before this announcement.

Exciting stuff :)

• Advertisement

I'm between Letterkenny and Churchill, is there any chance the housing/ribbon developments in between would get covered by this at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

chris_ie wrote: »
    I'm between Letterkenny and Churchill, is there any chance the housing/ribbon developments in between would get covered by this at all?
    I think we all need a map pronto.....

KOR101 wrote: »

Yeah coverage map would be useful. I thought it would just be the town and wasn't sure how far out it would go, just saw Peadar mention ribbon developments out by Doeen and got me thinking.

KOR101 wrote: »
    We do indeed. The eircom and siro planners at this stage should be in a position to enlighted the masses. To be fair to eircom they have endeavoured to keep us up to date with the fibre rollout, but at times you can see the frustration of posters who fall just outside relevant areas. When eircom commenced the fibre rollout initially, the much loved and respected "Spongebob" started a thread that was on the ball with nearly real time cab updates. We have moved along since then and the exponential provision of fibre services has skyrocketed in urban areas. Our rural friends are now very well positioned to avail of FTTH and to by-pass the earlier FTTC as provisioned over the past three years. My impatience then was very real but in reality my connection to 100/20 e-fibre took a relatively short time.
    It's now out of date for me and surpassed by the soon to be provided FTTH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I wonder what will happen to all those MANS and dark fibre and ducting which councils installed around various regional towns but no one ever seemed to be connected to? Could these be resurrected and use to help in the FTTH rollout for urban dwellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That's unbelievable to be honest. It's hard to see eircom not winning the NBP, now that it'll probably cost the state only half to two thirds of what it would before this announcement.

Exciting stuff :)

It seems a very good move on Eircom's part.

The less premises left for NBP the less attractive it will be to providers.
    In which case the tenders would be expected to be a bit higher, which might allow Eircom to sweep up the whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

"Bweeng" ... :) ... I won't hold my breath just yet but it's the first time I think we have ever been included in any broadband list.

If it's true I'll be absolutely delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We do indeed. The eircom and siro planners at this stage should be in a position to enlighted the masses. To be fair to eircom they have endeavoured to keep us up to date with the fibre rollout, but at times you can see the frustration of posters who fall just outside relevant areas.

Theyre keeping quiet as its a race between both sides, neither wants to show the other their plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

very quite and using invisible workers not a sign in ennis yet!!

swoofer wrote: »

Well, others have spotted them in LKY, I've seen what I think is prep work around DDM, we know Belcarra and SND have it too, along with Cavan, so not totally invisible.

ED E wrote: »
    Theyre keeping quiet as its a race between both sides, neither wants to show the other their plans.
    I suspect so. Was chatting with one of the Siteserve/ESB lads last night and he was saying that vodafone(Siro) were only in the early planning stage yet. Surveys still going on in Letterkenny and the other towns.
    I see MCS (McCann's) digging up at some of the main junction boxes on the run from LKY1_005, which serves my house, clearing ducts and pulling blue cable through all over the place. They're across the road from my pole and one juction box down. I'd nearly pull the bugger through myself I'm so excited at the prospect.:D

• Advertisement

Just a quick question lads and ladies... I presume for us rural folk they will be running the new fiber lines on the ESB poles ... Will they be running a direct line to the local exchange only and then sending down a second line to break off it house to house or can they break off the main line going to the exchange? Basically does the exchange have to be used first before entering the house?

We dont know the exact topology but what we've seen to date is:

Core Fibre to Exchange
    Aggregators in exchange
    OLT racks in exchange to passive splitters under/around the cabs
    Splitters out to drops and into homes (ONT on wall).

If you're on a road that has core fibre, I dont see them breaking this off for users, its role is to be redundant P2P fibre links between core points of presence, not to serve dbit his youtube fixes.

We dont know the exact topology but what we've seen to date is:

Core Fibre to Exchange
    Aggregators in exchange
    OLT racks in exchange to passive splitters under/around the cabs
    Splitters out to drops and into homes (ONT on wall).

If you're on a road that has core fibre, I dont see them breaking this off for users, its role is to be redundant P2P fibre links between core points of presence, not to serve dbit his youtube fixes.
    I just ask the question because if Eircom will run the core fiber from Dromahane to the exchange in Bweeng (along the R619) then they would have 20 odd houses along the road... 15 houses would probably be too far from the exchange to then return back to so unless the have a kiosk box midway or feed off the core then it will probably be just the village itself who benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Deagol

Have seen a little activity at a couple of locations. KNN where pulling / something between locations out the Tulla road not far from the M18 junction the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

... not to serve dbit his youtube fixes.

Or his Lotion addiction! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

Is the pulling of blue cables the give away sign for FTTH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Eircom certainly seem to be miles ahead of Siro. A very reliable birdy told me my home town Balbriggan FTTH planning is already complete. Good news for me hopefully. Fingers crossed my estate will be done and that I can finally have my dream of getting fibre plugged directly into my brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Praetorian wrote: »
    my dream of getting fibre plugged directly into my brain.

i ll do that for yea if yea like? wont even charge yea

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i ll do that for yea if yea like? wont even charge yea
    He might go over his download limit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

He might go over his download limit :D

narf

• Advertisement

Is the pulling of blue cables the give away sign for FTTH?
    The blue tubing appears to be microduct and the fibre core is blown through this. There are several thicknesses of tubing being run through the ducts, all blue/blue striped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

My guess is two years. They're currently blitzing eVDSL, but that wont take too much longer at the current pace then they'll be getting out ahead of the ESB(SIRO).

Basically, if youre on the 66 towns list youll be getting it soon, if you're in an NBP intervention area therell be a big wait IMO.

My guess is two years. They're currently blitzing eVDSL, but that wont take too much longer at the current pace then they'll be getting out ahead of the ESB(SIRO).

Basically, if youre on the 66 towns list youll be getting it soon, if you're in an NBP intervention area therell be a big wait IMO.
    yea up to 2020

Basically, if youre on the 66 towns list youll be getting it soon...
    The Eircom 66 Town target end date is December 2017.

The Siro 50 Town target end date is towards the end of 2018.

The NBP end date is sometime after 2020. :(

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    The Eircom 66 Town target end date is December 2017.

The Siro 50 Town target end date is towards the end of 2018.

The NBP end date is sometime after 2020. :(
    The NBP 2021 and Eircom full fibre roll out 2020 and yea siro 50 towns 2018

Yep - check this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Yep - check this out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/eircomwholesale/status/598808292543078400

This map shows slightly different locations

tvc15 wrote: »

erm ... go to page 2 from my link ... :p

So the first FTTH locations are going live in August. No wonder there is such a lot of activity in Letterkenny :D Great news for us if true. But...

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I might be missing something but page 2 lists exactly the same locations and there seems to be less than 66 locations listed

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

Some of the exchanges listed in Eircom's latest announcement have no density of housing around them to speak of. I know previously Eircom said they would roll out to rural housing estates of 25 or more but there is nothing like this anywhere near some of the exchanges listed. It's just one off houses strung along the road. I'm 3km from one of these exchanges, I would love to believe it's true that Eircom will roll out fibre either FTTH or FTTC within 3 years but I can't understand how it's viable to roll out to some of the exchanges listed. I'll believe it when I see it.

funkhouser wrote: »
    Some of the exchanges listed in Eircom's latest announcement have no density of housing around them to speak of. I know previously Eircom said they would roll out to rural housing estates of 25 or more but there is nothing like this anywhere near some of the exchanges listed. It's just one off houses strung along the road. I'm 3km from one of these exchanges, I would love to believe it's true that Eircom will roll out fibre either FTTH or FTTC within 3 years but I can't understand how it's viable to roll out to some of the exchanges listed. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Then be happy you could be one of those lucky houses getting FTTH.I have to wait for NBP and see what I get hoping for FTTH but don't wanna get my hopes Up at least the 300,000 homes knows what there getting the 460,000 house in another hand are in limbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I stumbled across this thread this morning so apologies if this is a stupid question :)

I moved to Portlaoise recently and have eircom fibre/TV installed.. which actually is much faster than the UPC setup I had back in Dublin!! If I read these maps right then, are the speeds I'm getting now to be upgraded in the next few months?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I stumbled across this thread this morning so apologies if this is a stupid question :)

I moved to Portlaoise recently and have eircom fibre/TV installed.. which actually is much faster than the UPC setup I had back in Dublin!! If I read these maps right then, are the speeds I'm getting now to be upgraded in the next few months?
    yea you be able to get up to 1gb broadband if you want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

yea you be able to get up to 1gb broadband if you want it.

Sweet :D Any rumors on pricing? I'm guessing it won't be a free upgrade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Any rumors on pricing? I'm guessing it won't be a free upgrade!

No retail pricing announced yet, the link above relate to wholesale pricing.
    Previous discussion here on pricing - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94471261

• Advertisement
Advertisement