Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Cush wrote: »
    No retail pricing announced yet, the link above relate to wholesale pricing.
    Previous discussion here on pricing - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94471261
    Is your exchange in Co. Limerick on the proposed complete FTTH rollout list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

tvc15 wrote: »
    I might be missing something but page 2 lists exactly the same locations and there seems to be less than 66 locations listed

Indeed both pages have the same list of towns ... all 64 of them :rolleyes:. I was guessing that Belcarra was considered one of the 66, but couldn't account for the other missing one.

When I saw the map that you posted, it was the same map from Page 2 of my post and I thought you were referring to the fact that they had their FTTC locations mapped as being part of the Fibre-to-the-Home rollout and these were the different locations ... my bad. :o

So your list has indeed got 66 towns ... Johnstown and Sallins were not mentioned on my map.

Also your map states that FTTH will be completed by Mid 2017, which is even better yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Indeed both pages have the same list of towns ... all 64 of them :rolleyes:. I was guessing that Belcarra was considered one of the 66, but couldn't account for the other missing one.

When I saw the map that you posted, it was the same map from Page 2 of my post and I thought you were referring to the fact that they had their FTTC locations mapped as being part of the Fibre-to-the-Home rollout and these were the different locations ... my bad. :o

So your list has indeed got 66 towns ... Johnstown and Sallins were not mentioned on my map.

Also your map states that FTTH will be completed by Mid 2017, which is even better yet! :D

only question being, which is correct? Mine is from a tweet last month and I can't find reference to it on their website, yours looks more official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is your exchange in Co. Limerick on the proposed complete FTTH rollout list?

Unfortunately not, the local exchange Murroe (MR01_E01) is on the eVDSL list for early/mid 2016, not connected to the core fibre network yet. Our neighbouring Cappamore and Doon exchanges are also on the same list for early 2016.

When the article was posted here the other day and before reading the list of areas I thought maybe we might be on the list considering those hidden red lines that appear in our exchange area when I zoom right in on the fibre rollout map and that copper/fibre junction box that was installed on a pole locally recently. I'm more than 2Km from the local exchange so the eVDSL upgrade locally won't make any difference.

The nearest to me on the new FTTH list is Pallasgreen, which isn't on the eVDSL list, is ADSL1 enabled but isn't connected to fibre core network even though it runs through the village on the N24. It's also got one of those hidden red lines on the fibre rollout map which doesn't appear until you zoom right to the end.

The situation with the Co Limerick exchanges on the FTTH list -
    No ADSL, no eVDSL planned - Ballagh, Ballyagran, Feenagh, Galbally, Glenroe, Granagh, Herbertstown, Knockaderry, Kilmeedy, Meanus, Tournafulla
    ADSL1, no eVDSL planned - Pallasgreen
    ADSL2, no eVDSL planned - Ballylanders
    ADSL2, eVDSL planned - Broadford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I guess most areas which have VDSL and those areas with eVDSL will eventually get upgraded to FTTH due to the backbone fibre already being in place?

I myself live in a eVDSL enable area but live 2kms from the exchange so the eVDSL is of no use to me. However the backbone fibre runs outside my door so it would be easy enough for them to upgrade it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

swoofer wrote: »

From the Eircom Wholesale Tweet machine.

So I guess it is true! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You ask a good question, but if you click the linky in the Tweet, you'll see an article that states they have hit 18,700 premises (including the 262 in Ennis) with speeds of up to 100Mbps.

Looking at another piece of their tweet machine, they state speeds of up to 70Mbps - so that sounds like eVDSL to me.

the tweet says 100mb that article is wrong I'd say, put in an extra 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,708 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its such exciting news for Tipp

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_expands_fibre_broadband_investment_in_tipperary/

What brilliant news

The wait will kill me and I reckon ill be waiting quite a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ftth build has started in castlebar according to the twitter link, i havent seen much work myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

irishgeo wrote: »
    ftth build has started in castlebar according to the twitter link, i havent seen much work myself.

Ipone were busy in castlebar over the last 2 months, seen them working with eircom and alone.

I stopped to chat to 3 eircom lads, well lads is pushing it, all were in their 50s, asked them what they were up to.

Blowing and connecting extra fibre from the exchange to the cabinet at Harvey Norman.

They were happy to show my how they were splicing and how the machine worked.

They said they didn't know what the extra fibre was for, just doing as they were told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Headshot wrote: »
    Its such exciting news for Tipp

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_expands_fibre_broadband_investment_in_tipperary/

What brilliant news

The wait will kill me and I reckon ill be waiting quite a bit
    yea upto 2020 like NBP doh difference is you know what your getting FTTH were as people like myself is left wondering what I get in NBP which is worser.:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

We asked Eircom why people dislike the company so much

IN A RECENT survey of consumer opinions towards Irish businesses, former state-owned telecoms company Eircom slid in at a dismal fifth last.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/eircom-customer-service-2145168-Jun2015/

It's still a basket case in terms of customer service in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Those disgruntled customers had no contact to eircom wholesale though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

KOR101 wrote: »
    We asked Eircom why people dislike the company so much

IN A RECENT survey of consumer opinions towards Irish businesses, former state-owned telecoms company Eircom slid in at a dismal fifth last.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/eircom-customer-service-2145168-Jun2015/

It's still a basket case in terms of customer service in my experience.

I was dead against Eircom for years but when I had terrible difficulties moving from Sky to Vodafone Eircom were the only ones willing to sort me out. They were so helpful I moved to them in December 2013 as one of the first eFibre customers on my cabinet, I'm still with them enjoying their 100% reliability. The only offer that'll make me change provider will be someone offering ftth:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Anyone know what way they go about running the core fiber connection? If they are connecting a new location from a previous one do they run the core fiber along the road and therefore take the shortest possible route? Would make sense but not sure what way they have things done along these roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

I just signed up for this (1gb/FTTH) tonight in the Stepaside area. I am told that I should have it installed in two weeks! We will see.......

Interested to see how the install will work as it was sold to me on the basis that the installer will put it wherever I want in the house.

Bluefish wrote: »
    I just signed up for this (1gb/FTTH) tonight in the Stepaside area. I am told that I should have it installed in two weeks! We will see.......

Interested to see how the install will work as it was sold to me on the basis that the installer will put it wherever I want in the house.
    lucky you enjoy what package are you picking.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

How much is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Directly through eircom or through another line op? SND has had FTTH for quite a while but I thought it was all 150Mb.

ED E wrote: »
    Directly through eircom or through another line op? SND has had FTTH for quite a while but I thought it was all 150Mb.
    There 3 packages 150mb/30 and 300mb/50 and then 1gb/100mb

I am just going with the Eircom 1000mbs broadband only package. I wasn't interested in any of the other offerings in terms of mobile, TV, etc.

The cost is €45 a month (equivalent to my UPC cost currently for 50 mb)and is fixed for the contract term. Here is the kicker - the contract is for 18 months.....

No installation costs and is obviously unlimited.

• Advertisement

I am just going with the Eircom 1000mbs broadband only package. I wasn't interested in any of the other offerings in terms of mobile, TV, etc.

The cost is €45 a month (equivalent to my UPC cost currently for 50 mb)and is fixed for the contract term. Here is the kicker - the contract is for 18 months.....

wow enjoy thought it would cost a lot more you be light years ahead of me on just 3mb:p.

Cheers - still a little worried about the installation and whether it will be as hassle free as it was sold to me. I don't want wires showing or holes in any walls. So until installation is complete I will not be cancelling UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Cheers - still a little worried about the installation and whether it will be as hassle free as it was sold to me. I don't want wires showing or holes in any walls. So until installation is complete I will not be cancelling UPC.

Well done on being able to get it. How were you able to order this? I do not see it anywhere on the Eircom website or on any of the other ISP's for that matter. I too am in one of the first 19 towns here in Naas.

The Eircom sales guys were calling around our estate. Apparently we are one of the first estates that will be going live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Bluefish,

Please run plenty of speed tests and ping tests. We are all very interested to see the results!

• Advertisement

Nice..... Please keep us all posted here.... The future has arrived in good ole Eire..

Praetorian wrote: »
    Bluefish,

Please run plenty of speed tests and ping tests. We are all very interested to see the results!

Yes and post some pics of the equipment etc, all very interesting :)

The Eircom sales guys were calling around our estate. Apparently we are one of the first estates that will be going live.

Ach no. You didnt listen to one of them!

If your estate is modern enough theyll snake it as far as your ETU without much hassle, but chances are they are still gonna have to drill from there into the home.

What area of Dublin does stepaside fall under?

DUBLIN
    Balbriggan
    Malahide
    Portmarnock
    Rush
    Skerries
    Swords
    Dublin

None. Its Sandyford, its on the trial areas thats had it for like 2yrs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

1Gb internet for 45 euro a month is crazy value. Is that some sort of introductory offer for a few months and the standard price is higher? 18 month contract wouldn't bother me to much either at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Crazy value...remember this installation future proofs your house for decades to come. So i wouldn't worry about a little hassle up front.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

WOW, that is pretty amazing pricing!!

I was expecting more around €65 per month for 1Gb/s and at least €150 install price.

I wonder if this maybe a trial/test area and just an introductory price for testing. If it isn't then UPC and SIRO will have to watch out!

Bluefish it would be brilliant if you could keep us updated on how it goes.

- Speed and ping tests
    - Equipment, modems, ONT used
    - What the install process involves

And if not too much trouble, some pictures of the install process and equipment.

BTW they will likely have to drill at least one hole and some extra gear on the outside wall. (Assuming it is full FTTH, rather then G.Fast/FTTDp) However I'd imagine it will be a neat and professional job.

If you own the house, then you probably just added €10,000 at least to the value of the property. Even if renting, I don't think many landlords would be annoyed at the added value.

So don't worry too much about future proofing your home for the next 50 years. Lucky you.

I hope you haven't been duped by some commission hungry door to door rep and end up with eFibre...

its legit, asked over on talk to eircom and they checked it out. What a deal? I wonder will they add phone rental on later?

lets wait for speedtests and pics.

• Advertisement

Was there a FTTH trial somewhere in Wexford also a while back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

This is a price list I found on their website:

Had a look at some of the eircom documentation relating to FTTH installation
    Guiding Principles

Fibre to the Home (FTTH)

- The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) will be the Network demarcation point
    - eircom will always be responsible for the installation of the ONT
    - eircom technician will install the ONT as per the workmanship standard specification
    - The location of the ONT may be influenced by the cable entry point and power availability. Power shall be supplied by the end-user
    - A pre-terminated fibre patch cord usually of 1m length is used to connect the Optical Distribution Point (ODP) to the ONT
    - FTTH data port extension may be installed beyond the ONT
    - The eircom technician will test the line on completion of the installation

Source: NGA IPM

Data Port extension
    - If ordered at the front end or by the end-user the eircom technician will install the FTTH data port extension up to 30m from the NTU that may be nearer a power socket or more convenient to end user in some way (eircom will not be extending the ONT into the premises)
    - The FTTH data port extension should be requested up front when the operator places an order
    - The eircom technician will only tack the extension wiring on to a wall or skirting board and will not put cable under carpet or floor. Minimal drilling through door frames etc. may carried out with end-user permission.
    - The FTTH data port extension is considered to be part of internal wiring and is owned by the end-user after that - the RAP demarcation point is the ONT. eircom will not be responsible for maintenance for any equipment or internal wiring beyond the ONT demarcation point
    - The Operator must inform the end-user that they will be required to know where they want the FTTH data port extension and inform them that they must have any furniture moved in advance to give a clear working path to the technician
    - The FTTH data port extension end termination will be fixed to a solid structure

The FTTC data port extension cable will be a 4-wire cable, with extensive twisting (equivalent to Cat5 cable). It is not allowed to use ‘normal’ 4-wire internal cable equipment.

That cable will be terminated at both ends by means of a JACKS MODULAR NO.2S socket.

Connections between JACKS MODULAR NO.2S sockets and NTU+splitter or modem will be made by means of 4-wire modular line cord terminated with RJ-11 plugs.

Using appropriate cable, the FTTC data port extension cable may be installed internally or externally, depending on End-Users Premises.

It is not proposed that a specific “kit” be made available or assembled for this purpose, but that such data port extensions be made on-site by taking suitable cable from a reel/coil/drum, cutting to length, and terminating both ends.

The FTTH data port extension cable will be required to carry Ethernet, so at a minimum a 4-pair Cat 5 cable is required.

The minimum the data port extension socket should offer is a Cat5 cable termination facility at back (for 8 wires, in a pre-determined sequence) and a socket at front.

2zp837p.jpg

6ibbf7.jpg

2w239cx.jpg

This is a price list I found on their website:

I'd say the pots ones are plus line rental plus vat. The BB only plans are plus vat only because there's no line as such.

bk wrote: »
    WOW, that is pretty amazing pricing!!

I was expecting more around €65 per month for 1Gb/s and at least €150 install price.

I wonder if this maybe a trial/test area and just an introductory price for testing. If it isn't then UPC and SIRO will have to watch out!

The published standalone FTTH wholesale price for 1000/100 is €35.50, can an eircom reseller compete with eircom's €45pm?

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/FTTH_Pricing/
    Proposed Wholesale Bitstream Price List (FTTH) 28th Feb

ONT install (from 31/8/15)
    a59f8z.jpg
    2gv54jr.jpg

FTTH monthly wholesale price (from 31/8/15)
    rvbz9z.jpg

Data port extn install
    2i6mm81.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The above prices are the wholesale prices. So just €10 retail on top of €35 wholesale doesn't seem possible at all! Perhaps it is €45 + €25 line rental? Did you cancel your phone line?

I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

bk wrote: »
    So just €10 retail on top of €35 wholesale doesn't seem possible at all! Perhaps it is €45 + €25 line rental? Did you cancel your phone line?

I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

The eircom retail price for eFibre Standalone Broadband (eFibre Advanced (unlimited) up to 100/20) is €45 based on a wholesale monthly price of €17.50 and standard connection fee of €100.63 / self-install of €30.36.

FTTH introductory offer or eFibre?

I say it €45 for 6 months then it like €55-€65 which wouldn't be bad for 1Gb it is there premium package.

rob808 wrote: »
    I say it €45 for 6 months then it like €55-€65 which wouldn't be bad for 1Gb it is there premium package.

From the communication with the eircom sales guy and the contract I was about to sign it is definitely 1000mbs for €45 (all in) and this charge would be fixed for the contract term (18 months). I didn't sign the contract as there is some issue relating to my UAN and my old provider - which hopefully will not delay things too much. will keep you updated.

• Advertisement

From the communication with the eircom sales guy and the contract I was about to sign it is definitely 1000mbs for €45 (all in) and this charge would be fixed for the contract term (18 months). I didn't sign the contract as there is some issue relating to my UAN and my old provider - which hopefully will not delay things too much. will keep you updated.

The 1000mbs? Is that both up and download speed? Or is the upload slower like conventional broadband? Any mention of a fair usage policy?

Advertisement