Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That's what the NBP is meant to take care of.
    Yeah but we are hearing that for years and years... is there any actual plan? say in our case it would mean I assume building an exchange close enough to serve us?

I cant see that ever happening unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yeah but we are hearing that for years and years... is there any actual plan? say in our case it would mean I assume building an exchange close enough to serve us?

The consensus is that you don't build more exchanges/cabinets, you roll out fibre to the home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They have taken submissions from all the isps about it. They want to give everyone outside of the UPC, SIRO and Eircom FTTC/FTTH networks a minimum if 30Mb. It's slow progress so far but it's better they take it slow and do it right then just give a load of money to 3 and pat themselves on the back like has happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It was only announced last year, it's still in the planning stage, I think we're near the end of consultation and will see a plan soon enough, I expect around election time

jd wrote: »
    The consensus is that you don't build more exchanges/cabinets, you roll out fibre to the home.
    So in our case they would be running a single fibre from the exchange (about 3.5 miles). Would that even work with the given distance?

• Advertisement

So in our case they would be running a single fibre from the exchange (about 3.5 miles). Would that even work with the given distance?

Yes, fibre can be ran for 20km+ and then you main use a repeater and go the same again. Just like copper there will be distribution points, a single fibre from the exchange will connect lots of single fibres. Don't even expect exchanges, no need

In our case we are literally stuck in no-mans land... smack bang in the middle of two villages separated by about 8.5km, one without the exchange enabled (in these plans) and the other with broadband already.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fibre is very different to copper. Distance doesn't really affect it. I think it starts to be affected by distance at 20KM but then you can just use a repeater and it's all good.

Yes, fibre can be ran for 20km+ and then you main use a repeater and go the same again. Just like copper there will be distribution points, a single fibre from the exchange will connect lots of single fibres. Don't even expect exchanges, no need
    And at the end of say 20km what loss in speed would be expected or is the loss minimal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And at the end of say 20km what loss in speed would be expected or is the loss minimal?

None, speed is pretty much flat until the point where it stops working.

Real world I don't see GPON going more than 10km. Normally less.

• Advertisement

And the cost of running such fibre cables pole to pole over the exiting rural network? (outside that announced by Eircom's blue line) ... I assume its an unimaginable €€ thought?

And the cost of running such fibre cables pole to pole over the exiting rural network? (outside that announced by Eircom's blue line) ... I assume its an unimaginable €€ thought?

The fibre is cheap, it's cheaper than copper. It's ask the man power to get it to your house that costs a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The fibre cable is much cheaper than copper.
    The poles exist.

So the cost is not as great as it might be if the existing infrastructure was not in place.

Of course the copper that falls into disuse can be recovered and sold, helping to defray the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Well I'm at the end of blue line I have underground ducting because there no pole outside my house doh the house beside my house has a pole so they must be doing both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Looking at the map for Clare, some of the towns/villages due for a fttc upgrade also have blue lines stretching out a few km from them and all the exchanges as part of the 300k rural ftth announcement are also there with beautiful blue lines.

I'm a bit gutted as my village is going to be upgraded early next year but no blue lines.

Any idea why this is, existing duct infrastructure is too poor and only looking at low hanging fruit for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Deagol wrote: »
    Are you sure? I was fairly sure I'd tried telephone numbers for the two you mentioned. Would be great if we could build up a DB of the various estates in each town?

Yeah, saw roadworks on the limerick road as I was passing so typed in a few addresses and they all had FTTH available. Im on the Kilrush road myself so I am kinda hoping they are doing the main entrance roads first like Quin, Kilrush, Tulla, Limerick and Gort roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

KD11 wrote: »
    Yeah, saw roadworks on the limerick road as I was passing so typed in a few addresses and they all had FTTH available. Im on the Kilrush road myself so I am kinda hoping they are doing the main entrance roads first like Quin, Kilrush, Tulla, Limerick and Gort roads.

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand the criteria, I tried a few places that are modern estates (Tobertouscain, and Aughenteeroe and Abbeyview) and nothing. Some houses in Abbeyview where actually used for the VDSL trial c.1999 and they are not FTTH even though they surely must be ducted and the fibre is definitely passing along the front of the estate.

Anyone got the skills to start a DB / Map like the badly missed Spongebob did for the FTTC rollout??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If you want to have your say on the new NBP, you can see how you can make a submission on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

ok lads, does blue = good, on the NGA fibre network, even if you have crap speeds at the min?

ok lads, does blue = good, on the NGA fibre network, even if you have crap speeds at the min?
    well my understanding if you on a blue line your getting FTTH in either 2017 or 2020.The blue line end at my house so hope I can get FTTH.Im currently on 4mb myself downloading anything take ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

rob808 wrote: »
    well my understanding if you on a blue line your getting FTTH in either 2017 or 2020.The blue line end at my house so hope I can get FTTH.Im currently on 4mb myself downloading anything take ages.

Makes you wonder how we survived with 56k dial up. ;)

same here, on the blue, and get 4-5meg via wireless BB. i could be worse off i know, but painful seeing others on even 20-100meg.
    what do you reckon on the speeds on the blue, is that the upto 1000meg?

same here, on the blue, and get 4-5meg via wireless BB. i could be worse off i know, but painful seeing others on even 20-100meg.
    what do you reckon on the speeds on the blue, is that the upto 1000meg?
    Well at the moment you be able to get 150mb,300mb and the premium 1Gb by time we get it could be higher:D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

need to change my underwear :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

Blue line stops 150 meters from my house and another, both of us want ftth. Anyone have an idea what the chances are they'd go the extra for 150 for us?

noc1980 wrote: »
    Blue line stops 150 meters from my house and another, both of us want ftth. Anyone have an idea what the chances are they'd go the extra for 150 for us?

Possibly, it looks like the blue lines are underground ducts. You could have 150m dropwire fed overhead from a distribution point in the duct but nobody will know until it starts. They are planning on overhead drops, Ive seen the setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Possibly, it looks like the blue lines are underground ducts.

Around my area most of the blue lines are overhead with the odd short underground duct where it intersects with overhead powerlines

This copper/fibre junction box was installed by KN earlier this year during post-storm repair work, it's located at a road junction where the blue lines on the map split to 2 roads

33emtd0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

From todays' Independent.....

Its priority for the next nine months is to maintain growth and continue to roll out high-speed fibre broadband, using both fibre to the cabinet and the more expensive fibre right into homes. "It is an industrialised process now, we are doing this very quickly and effectively. It is a massive undertaking but it is happening."

It will also continue to roll out of its 4G mobile broadband network, targeting 80pc coverage by the end of the year, and launch new TV packages.

http://www.independent.ie/business/eir-lift-how-a-new-name-can-be-the-secret-to-success-31541764.html

noc1980 wrote: »
    well the blue stop right outside my house my lines are under ground and my neighbours use a pole.The thing is the blue Line stops at my house and neighbour Only few meters from me and another 3 house up a little bit surely they would be included to get FTTH ?.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I suppose this thread'll need updating to the new eir moniker?

well the blue stop right outside my house my lines are under ground and my neighbours use a pole.The thing is the blue Line stops at my house and neighbour Only few meters from me and another 3 house up a little bit surely they would be included to get FTTH ?.
    That's what I saw near my house, a good few houses just beyond the end of the blue line. I don't think Eircom have worked things out at a precise level yet. They probably just decided that if all they had to do was blow fibre down ducts, then they could make a profit.

When the NBP goes out to tender, we will have the final mapping of which house are in/out. Maybe (only maybe) it will have been thought out road by road by then.

KOR101 wrote: »
    That's what I saw near my house, a good few houses just beyond the end of the blue line. I don't think Eircom have worked things out at a precise level yet. They probably just decided that if all they had to do was blow fibre down ducts, then they could make a profit.

When the NBP goes out to tender, we will have the final mapping of which house are in/out. Maybe (only maybe) it will have been thought out road by road by then.
    We have better idea come 25 September about NBP so hopefully they put houses in blue covered by eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Folks the blue lines has nothing to do with whether there is underground duct or not.
    At the end of the underground network coming from the exchange you will find both fibre and copper cabinets
    The startof the overhead network is called a interphase pole,
    A 75 pair cable leaves here for destribution futher along the road network, sometimes you might see a second 75' or
    a 30' leaving as well...but mostly its 75 pairs.
    When it reaches a junction it will be split down to whichever road needs the most.
    From looking at the Blue line map its fairly clear that the colored line is following the bigger cable.
    If there are 5 houses down a side road then a 10' pair is sufficent or 20 ' Pair.
    The outer reaches of most of the bigger exchanges ie Castlebar , Sligo, Letterkenny which have not been done using fttc
    will be completed using ftth,
    In fact I can see all bigger overhead cables been replaced through time with fibre, because copper is costly to
    replace ,prone to damage from trees, Joints liable to water ingress.
    Overhead Fibre is far more durable and joints are not as troublesome
    There are core fibre overhead routes all over the country that have not had problems,some are over 12 yrs old and
    have stayed intact during storms.
    So what i think will happen is that a bigger guage fibre will be erected to a point and households will be connected from there on smaller ones more or less to a distribution point and single fibre from the last pole to the subscriber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Overhead Fibre is far more durable and joints are not as troublesome
    There are core fibre overhead routes all over the country that have not had problems,some are over 12 yrs old .

Also fibre is of no use to the copper recyclers, now if only the ESB could run power down fibre :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

The Cush wrote: »
    Around my area most of the blue lines are overhead with the odd short underground duct where it intersects with overhead powerlines

This copper/fibre junction box was installed by KN earlier this year during post-storm repair work, it's located at a road junction where the blue lines on the map split to 2 roads

33emtd0.jpg

There's a lot of this kind of carry on over my side of the hills from you and we ain't got no blue lines here, only core fibre. :(

• Advertisement

mobil 222 wrote: »
    From looking at the Blue line map its fairly clear that the colored line is following the bigger cable.
    If there are 5 houses down a side road then a 10' pair is sufficent or 20 ' Pair.
    I'm in Dublin at the moment so I can't check it, but if you look at the route between Kenmare and Blackwater Bridge, the blue lines go off the main road down side roads for a short distance. Does the bigger cable go down those roads? I doubt it. It (the blue line) goes up the road signposted Coomnakilla, for example, but that road goes over the hill to the Blackwater Tavern. The main route to there is directly from Blackwater bridge, so that's where I would expect main cables. And if the Coomnakilla road had a main cable why would it stop mid way along a straight road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Where can I find this map showing coverage you are all talking about?

I saw 1 Eircom van and a newly branded Eir van in Sligo today. They had a manhole cover open and one of the vans had a trailer with loads of reels of yellow coloured cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Where can I find this map showing coverage you are all talking about?

I saw 1 Eircom van and a newly branded Eir van in Sligo today. They had a manhole cover open and one of the vans had a trailer with loads of reels of yellow coloured cable.

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

131314258.png

Loving my rural 42 meg and 10 meg connection! Great to see rural Ireland is before city's for a change! Green fields about no stupid rat race!

See I can get fiber direct in my village to! I'd go for 150 meg option. Cant think of use for 1000mb!

m!

markmurphy wrote: »
    131314258.png

Loving my rural 42 meg and 10 meg connection! Great to see rural Ireland is before city's for a change! Green fields about no stupid rat race!

See I can get fiber direct in my village to! I'd go for 150 meg option. Cant think of use for 1000mb!

m!
    Im not sure you get FTTH since your already on FTTC unless your village in the 50 towns.The rural FTTH for people who can't get FTTC doh that not to say you wouldn't get FTTH.i don't think anybody really know till late 2016, or early 2017 what eir rural plan is since it in early stages even with the new map.

That a nice speed it put my broadband to shame 3.2 mb and 372kbp upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Aye its not a bad speed, but mine is better and way way way cheaper! :D

4684775518.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Im not sure you get FTTH since your already on FTTC unless your village in the 50 towns.The rural FTTH for people who can't get FTTC doh that not to say you wouldn't get FTTH.i don't think anybody really know till late 2016, or early 2017 what eir rural plan is since it in early stages even with the new map.

That a nice speed it put my broadband to shame 3.2 mb and 372kbp upload.

You see, this is what I'm wondering about - what happens to those people in FTTC areas who are not in the new NBP areas? Are they going to be left on FTTC and speeds which will not be sufficient in a very short space of time while the rest of the country gets FTTH and high speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BandMember wrote: »
    You see, this is what I'm wondering about - what happens to those people in FTTC areas who are not in the new NBP areas? Are they going to be left on FTTC and speeds which will not be sufficient in a very short space of time while the rest of the country gets FTTH and high speeds?
    Fttc will do the job just fine for a few years while they hook up the rural properties. The way competition is in Ireland do you think the big cities will be left? No chance...they'll turn their attention back to them with 10gpon or whatever.

I say the FTTC areas would be done after the 50 towns are done the rural FTTH completed in 2020.

There good chance siro would do FTTC areas in phase 2 after phase 1 complete and eir probably follow after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Sorry if a silly question but what do the blue lines represent on this map? Are they the fibre lines from the local exchange?

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Sorry if a silly question but what do the blue lines represent on this map? Are they the fibre lines from the local exchange?
    It were eir plan to being FTTH to rural areas not able to get FTTC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

reading between the lines judging from a recent press release those who are currently on FTTC will be kept on it and those who cannot get FTTC will be on FTTH. Eir are claiming 1.6 million homes/premises on FTTC and 300,000 on FTTH by end of 2020. They claim up to 35% of customers will have FTTH by the time this rollout completes in 2020.

Im sure there will be some overlap of some FTTC customers been converted to FTTH if the blue line runs past their houses.

http://www.openeir.ie/news/NGA_rollout_extended_to_1_9M_premises/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Everyone will eventually be on ftth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Gonzo wrote: »
    reading between the lines judging from a recent press release those who are currently on FTTC will be kept on it and those who cannot get FTTC will be on FTTH. Eir are claiming 1.6 million homes/premises on FTTC and 300,000 on FTTH by end of 2020. They claim up to 35% of customers will have FTTH by the time this rollout completes in 2020.

Im sure there will be some overlap of some FTTC customers been converted to FTTH if the blue line runs past their houses.

http://www.openeir.ie/news/NGA_rollout_extended_to_1_9M_premises/

And what about people in the towns currently they are rolling out to that have gone from FTTC to FTTH? That doesn't tally with what you have said above.

If you where correct, Eircon will be losing my business once SIRO hits my location! I can't believe they'd leave 129 houses, 500 metres from a FTTH cabinet connected to FTTC. Sorry, I just find that impossible to believe, even taking into account the company involved.

Deagol wrote: »
    And what about people in the towns currently they are rolling out to that have gone from FTTC to FTTH? That doesn't tally with what you have said above.

If you where correct, Eircon will be losing my business once SIRO hits my location! I can't believe they'd leave 129 houses, 500 metres from a FTTH cabinet connected to FTTC. Sorry, I just find that impossible to believe, even taking into account the company involved.
    It come down money eir has high debt to pay back plus there tendering for NBP so they be holding money back for that but people on FTTC will get FTTH it just when is the question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement