Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anywhere I can find a roll-out plan or map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Deagol wrote: »
    And what about people in the towns currently they are rolling out to that have gone from FTTC to FTTH? That doesn't tally with what you have said above.

If you where correct, Eircon will be losing my business once SIRO hits my location! I can't believe they'd leave 129 houses, 500 metres from a FTTH cabinet connected to FTTC. Sorry, I just find that impossible to believe, even taking into account the company involved.

I would not be waiting for SIRO as they will quite rightly cherry pick profitable areas only. They won't go outside urban areas, just like UPC.

They will only leave the urban areas if they win a NBP contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

rob808 wrote: »
    Im not sure you get FTTH since your already on FTTC unless your village in the 50 towns.The rural FTTH for people who can't get FTTC doh that not to say you wouldn't get FTTH.i don't think anybody really know till late 2016, or early 2017 what eir rural plan is since it in early stages even with the new map.

That a nice speed it put my broadband to shame 3.2 mb and 372kbp upload.

My area is listed to get FTTC in Q1 2016. It's also listed to get FTTH in that 2017 - 2020 period on that map.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

And what about people in the towns currently they are rolling out to that have gone from FTTC to FTTH? That doesn't tally with what you have said above.

If you where correct, Eircon will be losing my business once SIRO hits my location! I can't believe they'd leave 129 houses, 500 metres from a FTTH cabinet connected to FTTC. Sorry, I just find that impossible to believe, even taking into account the company involved.

I only trying to understand what the press release says, it says 35% of all customers will have FTTH by 2020 and that they are connecting around 300,000 to FTTH.

Hopefully they will upgrade everyone to FTTH as they go along but it just seems from the press release that they aren't but there will still be plenty of overlapping with people able to get both along the blue lines. IF they arent upgrading everyone who now has FTTC then they will be under alot of pressure to do so after 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Kahless wrote: »
    My area is listed to get FTTC in Q1 2016. It's also listed to get FTTH in that 2017 - 2020 period on that map.
    well the 300,000 house that getting FTTH of eir are part of the NBP and they still are at moment because goverment not 100% sure that they keep to there word.

They might just be running the fibre through the FTTC towns to reach rural areas but if that is case they be easily able to upgrade the people on the FTTC at a later stage.I think that was eir plan all along quite smart it anger the other ISP that are planing on bidding on NBP late this year.

There annoyed because the another 400,000 might not be worth rolling out fast broadband to I'm worry myself the blue end at my house.I don't if it has to past your house to be able to get it fingers crossed because 150mb be a dream come true compared to 3mb I'm stuck on for maybe 3 to 4 years more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

well the 300,000 house that getting FTTH of eir are part of the NBP and they still are at moment because goverment not 100% sure that they keep to there word.

AFAIK the 300,000 homes/premises getting FTTH including all the blue lines on the map are not part of the NBP, Eir are funding all this themselves.

The areas after where the blue lines stop are the areas for the NBP.

Eir say these 300,000 homes/premised will be completed by 2020, I get the feeling if none of these lines are gonna be touched till 2017 at the earliest, that it's going to take considerably longer than 2020 to finish them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gonzo wrote: »
    AFAIK the 300,000 homes/premises getting FTTH including all the blue lines on the map are not part of the NBP, Eir are funding all this themselves.

Eir say these 300,000 homes/premised will be completed by 2020, I get the feeling if none of these lines are gonna be touched till 2017 at the earliest, that it's going to take considerably longer than 2020 to finish them all.

But the Gov wants anything not in the NBP to be completed before NBP starts ....... a bit of a conundrum ..

The blue stop at my house eir better give me FTTH I be pissed if I got stuck with a wisp.It would be a killer if my neighbour had FTTH and me just a few meter way with wisp oh man that suck:(.Doh the blue aren't a sack either they updated them as they go along so that mean the blue line will hopefully go right pass my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

The blue stop at my house eir better give me FTTH I be pissed if I got stuck with a wisp.It would be a killer if my neighbour had FTTH and me just a few meter way with wisp oh man that suck:(.Doh the blue aren't a sack either they updated them as they go along so that mean the blue line will hopefully go right pass my house.

Keep in with the neighbours in case you want to wirelessly share their Gb :)

Keep in with the neighbours in case you want to wirelessly share their Gb :)
    yea I just keep ring them and annoying them till they give it to me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Sorry if a silly question but what do the blue lines represent on this map? Are they the fibre lines from the local exchange?
    It were eir plan to being FTTH to rural areas not able to get FTTC

Thats not the case, most areas near me already have FTTC/VDSL2.
    The blue lines are an indication of the extent they intend on running FTTH, but its subject to change as with everything.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Thats not the case, most areas near me already have FTTC/VDSL2.
    The blue lines are an indication of the extent they intend on running FTTH, but its subject to change as with everything.
    There running the fibre through FTTC areas so they can reach the 300,000k houses and some who aren't even connected to a exchange .They most likely gona do FTTC areas at a later stage.The rural area on eir FTTH plan are still in NBP at least until goverment take them out of it.They want to be showing how eir plan on doing it and how much plus to see if it unfairly mess up the NBP for the other key players.

There running the fibre through FTTC areas so they can reach the 300,000k houses and some who aren't even connected to a exchange .They most likely gona do FTTC areas at a later stage.The rural area on eir FTTH plan are still in NBP at least until goverment take them out of it.They want to be showing how eir plan on doing it and how much plus to see if it unfairly mess up the NBP for the other key players.

Have you any evidence of these statements? You keep saying this without any backup to it. Do you work for Eir(com)? Or any telecoms provider? Or is this just your uneducated guesses / opinions?

Have you any evidence of these statements? You keep saying this without any backup to it. Do you work for Eir(com)? Or any telecoms provider? Or is this just your uneducated guesses / opinions?
    We'll I know 300,000 house are still part NBP the thing about them running FTTH through FTTC areas to reach rural areas is a guess but it make sense.what do you think there doing?.

• Advertisement

We'll I know 300,000 house are still part NBP the thing about them running FTTH through FTTC areas to reach rural areas is a guess but it make sense.what do you think there doing?.

What?! Could you repeat that in English please!:rolleyes:

What?! Could you repeat that in English please!:rolleyes:
    really wow your that easy to annoy:cool:.

The funny thing is, the NBP covers areas that already has FTTC as the diagrams of it you will see aren't really accurate. They do a simple circle area around a VDSL cab, but people outside of those simple circles easily get 50+Mbps down.

The note about FTTH planned areas avoiding/passing through FTTC areas, might you have any evidence of this? From looking at their own maps of their backhaul fiber and the VDSL cabs and their planned FTTH reach, this doesn't seem to match up. They will I'm sure attempt to cover areas which SIRO plan to cover before they do :)

Twill be an interesting few years :) still happy I installed ducting from my house to the 'Eir' pole :D

The funny thing is, the NBP covers areas that already has FTTC as the diagrams of it you will see aren't really accurate. They do a simple circle area around a VDSL cab, but people outside of those simple circles easily get 50+Mbps down.

The note about FTTH planned areas avoiding/passing through FTTC areas, might you have any evidence of this? From looking at their own maps of their backhaul fiber and the VDSL cabs and their planned FTTH reach, this doesn't seem to match up. They will I'm sure attempt to cover areas which SIRO plan to cover before they do :)

Twill be an interesting few years :) still happy I installed ducting from my house to the 'Eir' pole :D
    yea that what I meant there waiting on siro phase 2 to start and there just getting ready.That why the blue lines are going throw FTTC areas but think it gona be a long wait and siro in no rush.well guess one way at looking at it take Robinstown in Meath and look at a FTTC area.If you look at robinstown all light up were as the FTTC area let say ratoath the lines are just passing through it.

yea that what I meant there waiting on siro phase 2 to start and there just getting ready.That why the blue lines are going throw FTTC areas but think it gona be a long wait and siro in no rush.well guess one way at looking at it take Robinstown in Meath and look at a FTTC area.If you look at robinstown all light up were as the FTTC area let say ratoath the lines are just passing through it.

Well, they have up between 2017~2020 :) with that range it will either be a long wait or a very long wait. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for FTTH in rural areas.

• Advertisement

Well, they have up between 2017~2020 :) with that range it will either be a long wait or a very long wait. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for FTTH in rural areas.
    yea that true but I don't mind waiting my broadband might be slow but still can watch YouTube game with high ping that alway fun to teleport now and again:D.

I just hope they stick to their word. At the very best we are in for a long wait, but it's alot better knowing that fibre is in the pipeline over the next 2-5 years than wondering if I'll ever experience speeds of more than 10 megs in my lifetime!

The only reason why I think Eircom have those lovely blue lines finally going to our houses is not just to provide us with better internet speeds, but to have us take up all 4 products together (broadband, tv, phone and mobile). They will make alot of money from that and whats the use of that if it's only available to people inside large towns while everyone else in the country uses Sky for their tv or Vodaphone/Three for their mobile. Eir will make get massive business once everyone in rural areas is on their system for tv, broadband, phone and mobile.

I just hope they stick to their word. At the very best we are in for a long wait, but it's alot better knowing that fibre is in the pipeline over the next 2-5 years than wondering if I'll ever experience speeds of more than 10 megs in my lifetime!

The only reason why I think Eircom have those lovely blue lines finally going to our houses is not just to provide us with better internet speeds, but to have us take up all 4 products together (broadband, tv, phone and mobile). They will make alot of money from that and whats the use of that if it's only available to people inside large towns while everyone else in the country uses Sky for their tv or Vodaphone/Three for their mobile. Eir will make get massive business once everyone in rural areas is on their system for tv, broadband, phone and mobile.
    yea that make sense and there tv service probably work better on FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quad play doesnt really make much extra profit for "OpenEir" who are marking those boundarys. They get a fee for multicast but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Rang 2 different reps with Eir today...told them I wanted to put in an application for FTTH because of the flyer I received
    in the post yesterday...I also told them about their mapping showing their blue line passing within 200 mtrs of where I live Each one told me i would not be able to receive ftth as i was outside the distance.
    I told them that i thought distance had no bearing but no give in ' Sir your line does not qualify for fibre'
    So take it from me after what i was told today i would not be getting my hopes high for the future !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Rang 2 different reps with Eir today...told them I wanted to put in an application for FTTH because of the flyer I received
    in the post yesterday...I also told them about their mapping showing their blue line passing within 200 mtrs of where I live Each one told me i would not be able to receive ftth as i was outside the distance.
    I told them that i thought distance had no bearing but no give in ' Sir your line does not qualify for fibre'
    So take it from me after what i was told today i would not be getting my hopes high for the future !!

I wouldn't take the word of anyone in telesales as gospel, most likely computer says no, that's as much info as they have access to.

I wouldn't take the word of anyone in telesales as gospel, most likely computer says no, that's as much info as they have access to.

And most likely they thought he was talking about e'fibre' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

I phoned eircom, the girl didnt have a clue about maps or blue lines.
    I have crap broadband, on the map im on the blue line. I also contacted the nbp by email. They told my address was on their broadband plan.
    So havnt a clue whats going on, what speeds or when. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have crap broadband, on the map im on the blue line. I also contacted the nbp by email. They told my address was on their broadband plan.

the blue lines are where rural FTTH is planned over the next 4 years. Its unlikely Eircom sales are going to be able to do anything for you now, even in the 16 early deployment towns there's only very limited availability.

we know what the goverment NBP is tomorrow hopefully they ask eir to put it on goverment map the houses they plan on given FTTH and then at least I know if I'm getting FTTH of them since the blue line ends outside my house.

• Advertisement

mobil 222 wrote: »

I've highlighted in bold the line part which shows you that the phone reps in Eir(com) aren't up to speed with anything that isnt' ADSL/VDSL/"efibre". Seems like they know nothing/little about FTTH yet. They are still focused on the copper pair being qualified :)

right now the blue lines are just that 'blue lines on a map'. They wont be built for years and your line is not gonna pass untill you see Eir installing fibre on your road and stringing it past your house.

There is no point in ringing up Eir right now to see if your line will pass as the network isn't even started, it doesn't start for another 2 years! all we can do is wait for another 2-5 years, it's gonna be one very long painfull wait that I hope is worth it! 8meg feels slow right now, I can't imagine how slow its gonna feel by 2018-2020 before we get our shiny fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

right now the blue lines are just that 'blue lines on a map'. They wont be built for years and your line is not gonna pass untill you see Eir installing fibre on your road and stringing it past your house.

There is no point in ringing up Eir right now to see if your line will pass as the network isn't even started, it doesn't start for another 2 years! all we can do is wait for another 2-5 years, it's gonna be one very long painfull wait that I hope is worth it! 8meg feels slow right now, I can't imagine how slow its gonna feel by 2018-2020 before we get our shiny fibre.

Not true. FTTH HAS started, its just NBP intervention thats waiting two years.

my post was a bit misleading, i was more referring to the FTTH blue line rural fibre network over the urban FTTH in 66 towns which has already started in 16 locations.

Am I right in saying that the blue lines rural fibre network that Eir added to their map last week is now not part of the NBP?
    e.g. my area was part of the NBP map but now with the blue lines in the area I presume now that im not part of the NBP anymore?

my post was a bit misleading, i was more referring to the FTTH blue line rural fibre network over the urban FTTH in 66 towns which has already started in 16 locations.

Am I right in saying that the blue lines rural fibre network that Eir added to their map last week is now not part of the NBP?
    e.g. my area was part of the NBP map but now with the blue lines in the area I presume now that im not part of the NBP anymore?

That is a matter of conjecture at this time. eir would like us to believe so.

But the gov's position seems to be that any commercial rollout not completed by 2017 will be included in the NBP ..... so those areas with blue lines could be included in the NBP.

All a bit confusing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

That is a matter of conjecture at this time. eir would like us to believe so.

But the gov's position seems to be that any commercial rollout not completed by 2017 will be included in the NBP ..... so those areas with blue lines could be included in the NBP.

All a bit confusing at the moment.

The planned deployments within the blue areas may be rolled-out within the same timeframe as the intervention itself, i.e. 2020 (though probably later).

The eircom blue lines are selective one-dimensional paths. So they are not 'areas' as such and may not qualify under the State Aid Guidelines. If they do qualify then they would be entitled to the same timeframe as the existing blue areas .

clohamon wrote: »
    The planned deployments within the blue areas may be rolled-out within the same timeframe as the intervention itself, i.e. 2020 (though probably later).

The eircom blue lines are selective one-dimensional paths. So they are not 'areas' as such and may not qualify under the State Aid Guidelines. If they do qualify then they would be entitled to the same timeframe as the existing blue areas .

I am not quite sure what you mean.

It is apparent that eir are attempting to take those connections covered by the 'thin blue lines' out of the NBP, thus giving them a huge advantage over any competitors involved in the NBP, by saying they are commercially viable.

They can do that presently if they provide the service by 2017, it seems.
    But they have mentioned 2020 as the time frame.

So whether those connections will be within the NBP or not remains to be seen.

They can do that presently if they provide the service by 2017, it seems.
    But they have mentioned 2020 as the time frame.

The State Aid Guidelines usually require private planned deployments to be complete or substantially complete within three years. However where the State Intervention itself is likely to take longer than three years, then the timeframe for private investments is extended accordingly.

Bottom line; if eir blue lines are accepted, they have at least until 2020 to roll them out.
    So whether those connections will be within the NBP or not remains to be seen.

True, but timescale is not the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

We should be hoping the blue line houses remain in the NBP because there is then a contractual commitment to them, father than just a commitment.

We should also want companies other than Eircom to win as much as possible to help competition and to keep as much pressure on Eircom as possible.

• Advertisement

The State Aid Guidelines usually require private planned deployments to be complete or substantially complete within three years. However where the State Intervention itself is likely to take longer than three years, then the timeframe for private investments is extended accordingly.

Bottom line; if eir blue lines are accepted, they have at least until 2020 to roll them out.

True, but timescale is not the issue.

The state intervention in this case is not part of the 'private planned deployment', but begins after its completion, IIRC.

So the time scale seems to be applicable. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

KOR101 wrote: »
    We should be hoping the blue line houses remain in the NBP because there is then a contractual commitment to them, father than just a commitment.
    A contractual commitment? I'm not sure there would be and a change of government or policy could see the NBP dropped faster than Dart Underground. You want as many km of ftth fibre laid by whomever shows the the willingness. The business case for a lot of this looks really thin to me, but the deeper the fibre "goes anyway" the better the business case for the outlying properties looks.

The state intervention in this case is not part of the 'private planned deployment', but begins after its completion, IIRC.

Not true.

The mapping of private planned deployments is a required part of the State Aid process; to protect qualifying private investments from being overbuilt by the State.

So long as the mapping has been done fairly there is no requirement or reason to wait for the private investments to be completed.
    “For the purpose of identifying the geographical areas as white [amber], grey or black [blue] as described below, the aid granting authority needs to determine whether broadband infrastructures exist in the targeted area. In order to further ensure that the public intervention does not disrupt private investments, the aid granting authorities should also verify whether private investors have concrete plans to roll out their own infrastructure in the near future. The term ‘near future’ should be understood as referring to a period of 3 years (79). If the granting authority takes a longer time horizon for the deployment of the subsidised infrastructure, the same time horizon should also be used to assess the existence of commercial investment plans."

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C: (para 63)

Not true.

The mapping of private planned deployments is a required part of the State Aid process; to protect qualifying private investments from being overbuilt by the State.

So long as the mapping has been done fairly there is no requirement or reason to wait for the private investments to be completed.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C: (para 63)

Thanks.

I am attempting to figure out how this might work in practice for the ends of those 'thin blue lines'.

A blue line ends outside my door.
    So I am in a commercially serviced location and eir is to provide the service.
    My neighbour is in a NBP location (blue line does not reach him).

It is quite possible he might get FTTH under the NBP before eir provide the blue line service to me.

Will there be anything preventing my neighbour's provider from connecting me to the FTTH, while not claiming any sub from the NBP?

I thought not .... but now wondering if there might be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Of course not. What would make you even think there would be?

Of course not. What would make you even think there would be?

I have no idea what protections might be inserted to allow time for the commercial operators to fulfil their promises before some other operator, subsidised by NBP, can enter the declared area.

It would not make much sense to me .... but I am sure it would to the likes of eir, and they have a lot more clout than any of us!

• Advertisement

it does seem a bit confusing if we are now under the NBP or not.

My gut feeling is that we are not part of the NBP because the contracted has not been awarded yet and could end up being completed by some party other than Eir.

Judging from Eir's press release about the blue lines it seems they are committed to complete it by end of 2020. The main reason I believe they will complete this and get working on it fast is that if they don't do this, they could potentially lose business for the next 50+ years in these areas which as a whole cover alot of people across Ireland.

This is the bit taken from Eircom's Press release:
    In June 2015, eir extended their rollout commitment to include an additional 300,000 homes and businesses, which means by end of 2020 1.9 million homes and business across Ireland will have access to a high speed broadband network.

and I just after finding a piece on Eir's website claiming that the blue lines is not part of the NBP

it reads:
    The National Broadband Plan (NBP) is a Government sponsored initiative to bring broadband to rural Ireland. The NBP in terms of roll out is not part of eircom’s NGA program, which is forecasted to reach 1.9 million homes/businesses by end of 2020. In June 2015, the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Alex White, gave an update on the status of the NBP, specifically the timelines and areas that are included in the intervention footprint. All of the information relating to the National Broadband plan you can get at www.broadband.gov.ie

@Gonzo

If the blue lines are omitted from NGB, which seems likely, and eir do not in very short time bring FTTH to those along the blue lines, then it seems likely that any other provider that might be awarded an NBP contract would first off target those areas close to the blue lines, and then be able (cheaply) to offer FTTH (hopefully) to those along the blue lines.
    Thus eir could lose out those connections to another provider ....... unless that provider is prevented from entering 'commercial' areas under the NBP contract.

The same could be true of other clusters and villages .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

it does seem a bit confusing if we are now under the NBP or not.

My gut feeling is that we are not part of the NBP because the contracted has not been awarded yet and could end up being completed by some party other than Eir.

Judging from Eir's press release about the blue lines it seems they are committed to complete it by end of 2020. The main reason I believe they will complete this and get working on it fast is that if they don't do this, they could potentially lose business for the next 50+ years in these areas which as a whole cover alot of people across Ireland.

This is the bit taken from Eircom's Press release:
    In June 2015, eir extended their rollout commitment to include an additional 300,000 homes and businesses, which means by end of 2020 1.9 million homes and business across Ireland will have access to a high speed broadband network.

and I just after finding a piece on Eir's website claiming that the blue lines is not part of the NBP

it reads:
    The National Broadband Plan (NBP) is a Government sponsored initiative to bring broadband to rural Ireland. The NBP in terms of roll out is not part of eircom’s NGA program, which is forecasted to reach 1.9 million homes/businesses by end of 2020. In June 2015, the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Alex White, gave an update on the status of the NBP, specifically the timelines and areas that are included in the intervention footprint. All of the information relating to the National Broadband plan you can get at www.broadband.gov.ie
    There's no point in referencing Eircom as to whether the blue lines are parts of NBP or not.

The government has never once referred to anything other than 700,000 premises for the plan. And their recent September plan simply states.....

We continue to review all of the data provided by operators for 2016-2020 with a view to validating and updating the High Speed coverage map as published on www.broadband.gov.ie by the end of the year pre procurement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KOR101 wrote: »
    There's no point in referencing Eircom as to whether the blue lines are parts of NBP or not.

The government has never once referred to anything other than 700,000 premises for the plan. And their recent September plan simply states.....

We continue to review all of the data provided by operators for 2016-2020 with a view to validating and updating the High Speed coverage map as published on www.broadband.gov.ie by the end of the year pre procurement.

The expert reports recommend that the NBP area be split into three regional areas. If the blue lined areas were to be removed from the plan it would make it extremely difficult financially for an operator other than OpenEir to service a particular region. I suspect this is why OpenEir have released this proposed rural rollout.

This is where my selfishness kicks in ...... I hope they roll out FTTH on those blue lines rapid quick as I am near the end of one :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement