Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

This is where my selfishness kicks in ...... I hope they roll out FTTH on those blue lines rapid quick as I am near the end of one :D

Me too :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is where my selfishness kicks in ...... I hope they roll out FTTH on those blue lines rapid quick as I am near the end of one :D

I think were all in the same boat, this cannot get started soon enough. Unfortunately they are not starting the rural blue lines till sometime in 2017 at the earliest according to their website. Im not sure it will be completed by the end of 2020 if they are only starting on them then, its a huge network of rural fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

this thread has gone way off topic as usual. Its about 66 towns, nothing about NBP etc

Its now full of rubbish. There should be a separate post re NBP and how its supposed to link to FTTH.

By the way those blue lines are total and utter rubbish. eir will rush to get 66 towns and then take it as it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

swoofer wrote: »
    this thread has gone way off topic as usual. Its about 66 towns, nothing about NBP etc

Its now full of rubbish. There should be a separate post re NBP and how its supposed to link to FTTH.

By the way those blue lines are total and utter rubbish. eir will rush to get 66 towns and then take it as it comes.
    well of course except 66 towns won't be finish until 2018 so they would had start doing rural area before finishing 66 towns.I agree a separate thread need for rural FTTH from eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

I think swoofer lives in a town and works for eircon. Its all about the towns, you rural folk go feck off!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Slide 12 of this presentation is the kind of overhead ducting they could use for FTTH service in rural areas or areas of towns which aren't ducted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Well I've done it....just place my order for 1Gb/s BB with Eir:):D

Install date two weeks time 9th October so heres hoping in might be earlier.

Also bundled TV with it so now I can get rid of Sky. Small bit worried about eVision as I have heard that its not as good as Sky. But I'll give it go anyway.

I'll keep ye posted with the install and the all Important Speedtest results, heres what I'm on atm and its not too bad but I suppose I'm greedy:o

4695596067.png

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

where are you and did you order online? you wont notice any diffference!! and are you moving to eircom?

Ordered online and I am moving from Vodafone, I had to take a hit of 200 euros to break out early of my VF contract (I just coulnt wait six months to see out the contract:o)

Every time I walked out my door knowing that there was fibre only a few feet away from me and it was ready to go was too big a temptation.

Also I felt it was my duty to all ye boardies who are not as lucky as me to get it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Ordered online and I am moving from Vodafone, I had to take a hit of 200 euros to break out early of my VF contract (I just coulnt wait six months to see out the contract:o)

Every time I walked out my door knowing that there was fibre only a few feet away from me and it was ready to go was too big a temptation.

Also I felt it was my duty to all ye boardies who are not as lucky as me to get it.;)

The increase in speed must make a massive difference to you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Well I've done it....just place my order for 1Gb/s BB with Eir:):D

Install date two weeks time 9th October so heres hoping in might be earlier.

Also bundled TV with it so now I can get rid of Sky. Small bit worried about eVision as I have heard that its not as good as Sky. But I'll give it go anyway.

I'll keep ye posted with the install and the all Important Speedtest results, heres what I'm on atm and its not too bad but I suppose I'm greedy:o

4695596067.png

is 86megs not fast enough!!?? I can't imagine moving to 1GB will make much of a difference other than downloading massive files. Alot of people in this country would see 86 megs as a pipedream!

Gonzo wrote: »
    is 86megs not fast enough!!?? I can't imagine moving to 1GB will make much of a difference other than downloading massive files. Alot of people in this country would see 86 megs as a pipedream!

Yeah I suppose so, but FTTH is the future as I see it I am future proofed for many years to come. The 1000mb is probably a bit of an overkill for my needs now but you'd never know.

It's a nerdy thing also who wouldn't want to say they have gig broadband:) there aren't too many people who can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Gonzo wrote: »
    Yeah and lots of people would kill for 10mbps. It's all relative I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yeah I suppose so, but FTTH is the future as I see it I am future proofed for many years to come. The 1000mb is probably a bit of an overkill for my needs now but you'd never know.

It's a nerdy thing also who wouldn't want to say they have gig broadband:) there aren't too many people who can.

They're just jealous :P

Like me :D:D

but where are you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

murphaph wrote: »
    Yeah and lots of people would kill for 10mbps. It's all relative I guess.

I would ... 0.324 Mb/s on landline atm in county Limerick. :(

but where are you???

Sorry, rochestown in cork

That's an expensive epenis you have there. You do realise you're going to need to spend some cash on a proper router to make any decent use of gigabit, even wired. Then you'll end up upgrading the cards in your end devices as onboard won't be good enough.........

That's an expensive epenis you have there. You do realise you're going to need to spend some cash on a proper router to make any decent use of gigabit, even wired. Then you'll end up upgrading the cards in your end devices as onboard won't be good enough.........

Jaysus, I'm not feeling a lot of love here for getting this. :(

This thread has being going for over a year now with people wishing and hoping that one day they can get FTTH and now when somebody actually can get it it's like "do you really need that" maybe we should tell Eir and SIRO to hold off on the roll out because its to fast......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

The truth is there isnt much of a genuine use case for it at the moment.
    I've a 120 meg conn from UPC, I can't even be bothered upgrading to the available 240.

1gb is over 8 times my connection speed. At least for me, I can't see the need for it. Not for 87 a month.

About the only large thing we download here in this house is steam games - which often doesnt max out due to steam congestion. Times for this arent really an issue with 120 I find. Certainly far faster than driving to a shop and buying games when I used to have a console!

We stream multiple HD netflix streams at the same time here with no issues.
    I don't have a 4K TV.

I've a CAT6e hard wired to my office (cough, games room) from the router , thats the only thing here that could move such a high speed around this house. As mentioned I'd need a good new router and few devices in the house at the moment could take advantage. I'd be all for future proofing, but would only want to pay for it when I need to.

Its great to see a high speed push in the country but a lot of people at the moment havent a hope of taking advantage of it.

Some will, there will definitely be some who may manage to use it. And hopefully people do buy it or the rollout will stop! But they will be the minority.

This thread has being going for over a year now with people wishing and hoping that one day they can get FTTH and now when somebody actually can get it it's like "do you really need that" maybe we should tell Eir and SIRO to hold off on the roll out because its to fast......

im delighted your getting it, its something we all need some day. It's just your internet is already brilliant as it is! FTTC speeds of 50-100mb should be good for another 5 to maybe 8 years, possibly 10!.

Lets hope Eircom's rural fibre plan gets going and brings most decent fibre to those who really need it. I moan about my 9/10meg all the time but there are many others here who are on 1meg or 2 and spending a fortune just to get those speeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

1gb is over 8 times my connection speed. At least for me, I can't see the need for it. Not for 87 a month.

From where did you get €87 per month?

According to what I have accessed the charge is €70 per month

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

From where did you get €87 per month?

According to what I have accessed the charge is €70 per month

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

Read here: https://www.eir.ie/extreme/ says €87 per month

just you wait until you get it and post the speedtest on here, I for one cant wait. You may be the first in ireland with proper FTTH ie not a trial, not a special offer, a deal, only for a few weeks etc. It will be true FTTH.
    I am keen on the pings, as I saw somewhere they can rise!! I hope not.
    And you probaly have a proper router already but eir give you a new one anyway.

And as you will do everything at blinding speed you will have far more free time.

So roll on your installation day.

By the way I have a manhole outside my gate with ducting, cables are 150 yards away, I saw eir put them in, I have ducting from the gate already in situ, with a pull string in it, and eir say... sorry not available!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Avada wrote: »
    Read here: https://www.eir.ie/extreme/ says €87 per month

Thats with a phone line included. Broadband standalone is 70e a month.

ECO_Mental, Do you mind me asking how much are you paying for the 1Gb/s?

• Advertisement

eir Fibre to the Home 1Gb
    €70.00

eir Talk Anytime Mobile
    €44.00

eir Vision Essential
    €15.00

HD Pack
    €5.00

Multiroom
    €5.00

Experience Pack *
    €8.00

Sky Sports *
    €36.00

Bundle discount
    €-27.00

25 Euro off for 4 months
    €-25.00

47 Euro off for 4 months
    €-47.00

€84.00per month for the first 4 months if you order online then €156.00 per month

Just copied what I ordered off the eir website, the way I am looking at it its working out cost neutral for me as currently I am paying 150pm for my sky and Vodafone bb (I have sports, muliti room and HD:o)

So for same monthly price I am geting 1gb/s and roughly the same TV service with eVision(a bit worried about eVision but I am going to give it a go anway) Also during the first four months I am recouping the early breakout charge VF and putting on me (200euro,saving 65pm)

Its 87euro per month if you just get the broadband alone but if you bundle TV etc it looks like you get it for 70pm

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Thanks for that ECO. You are kinda the guinea pig for the FTTH atm. So its 70e for just the 1Gb/s and TV with No phone line? Thats decent enough. Will hopefully be getting this in a few weeks aswell but only 150Mb (maybe tempted to get 300) tbh I just want that fibre line more so than the speed increase. Keep us posted on the install.

ECO_Mental wrote:
    Its 87euro per month if you just get the broadband alone but if you bundle TV etc it looks like you get it for 70pm

That is not what I see in the price list from eir.
    I see 70/month for standalone 1Gb/s 'extreme' broadband.

fibreprice.png

Typical Irish begrudgery. I'm jealous but delighted for you, ignore them.

KD11 wrote: »
    Thanks for that ECO. You are kinda the guinea pig for the FTTH atm. So its 70e for just the 1Gb/s and TV with No phone line? Thats decent enough. Will hopefully be getting this in a few weeks aswell but only 150Mb (maybe tempted to get 300) tbh I just want that fibre line more so than the speed increase. Keep us posted on the install.

There is phone included above, there is no option afaik to not get the landline included. I can't find anywhere on the website where you can get 1Gb for 70 month. The most basic package includes the Phone, now in the breakdown but it isn't shown they might charge 17 for the landline thus bringing it up to 87.

• Advertisement

There is phone included above, there is no option afaik to not get the landline included. I can't find anywhere on the website where you can get 1Gb for 70 month. The most basic package includes the Phone, now in the breakdown but it isn't shown they might charge 17 for the landline thus bringing it up to 87.

Maybe just like efibre you can only get data only package over the phone, it's not listed on the website

I asked on the eir forum and was pointed to the €70 info I provided, so apparently it is an official price and so therefore available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

They don't advertise it but it is available if you phone them and request it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm very jelly :) do ensure yea are home when they are running the fiber in, lots of photos should be uploaded for the other jelly folks :D

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I'm very jelly :) do ensure yea are home when they are running the fiber in, lots of photos should be uploaded for the other jelly folks :D

Yea, want to see what it all looks like :) Fibre coming into the house, the modem etc. :)

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Yeah will do lads I will put up plenty of install photo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I think you should post up a video showing in real time, you downloading a 10GB HD movie from a torrent site. It will be fun to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I think you should post up a video showing in real time, you downloading a 10GB HD movie from a torrent site. It will be fun to watch.

As long as it's...you know... a legal movie download :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Deagol wrote: »
    Yea, want to see what it all looks like :) Fibre coming into the house, the modem etc. :)

Until then, here are some photos I posted previously from the Belcarra pilot video

2upelo5.jpg

j9tr1u.jpg

2nlwl5w.jpg

n2yixd.jpg
    ONT (Optical Network Terminal)
    ODP (Optical Distribution Point)

Guiding Principles

Fibre to the Home (FTTH)

- The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) will be the Network demarcation point
    - eircom will always be responsible for the installation of the ONT
    - eircom technician will install the ONT as per the workmanship standard specification
    - The location of the ONT may be influenced by the cable entry point and power availability. Power shall be supplied by the end-user
    - A pre-terminated fibre patch cord usually of 1m length is used to connect the Optical Distribution Point (ODP) to the ONT
    - FTTH data port extension may be installed beyond the ONT (eircom will, if requested at the time of Order, install a data port extension socket using a standard extension kit to a maximum of 30 meters)
    - The eircom technician will test the line on completion of the installation

Source: NGA IPM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Perhaps someone can help me.

The red mark on this is where the blue line ends.

My house is in the red circle.

What are the chances of me getting Fibre broadband? Right now I have nothing, only telephone services by eircom. Broadband via satellite on roof (5meg).

• Advertisement

has anyone yet seen the eircom fibre cable that goes into the house and how flexible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

has anyone yet seen the eircom fibre cable that goes into the house and how flexible?

Its got a minimum turn radius, think a few of the other posters should know the spec in use google indicates itll be 30mm or more.

Perhaps someone can help me.

The red mark on this is where the blue line ends.

My house is in the red circle.

What are the chances of me getting Fibre broadband? Right now I have nothing, only telephone services by eircom. Broadband via satellite on roof (5meg).

It depends on what the NBP provides.

off topic again

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

Can someone that has it already do a speedtest on speedof.me?

Saga1 wrote: »
    Can someone that has it already do a speedtest on speedof.me?

.me is Serbia and Montenegro, always do speedtests close to home for the most accurate result

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

.me is Serbia and Montenegro, always do speedtests close to home for the most accurate result

Nearest server is in London, but speedtest.net is extremely misleading and completely disregards packet loss. It can be exploited by ISPs too (Comcast or TWC have done this). I'm pretty confident Magnet did this too. It always showed 95/15 on .net while .me showed 25/5 (which it felt like) and once I switched to Eircom .me showed the same speeds as .net. (100/15)

.me is a public TLD... The speedof.me domain is actually hosted in California :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just wondering, out of all of these people who are looking forward to getting FTTH are you all going to pay the €80 plus for the benefit of using it or is that just a figure that is being thrown around and is likely to cost less or even more?

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    Just wondering, out of all of these people who are looking forward to getting FTTH are you all going to pay the €80 plus for the benefit of using it or is that just a figure that is being thrown around and is likely to cost less or even more?

I'm expecting it to cost around €80/month at least, particularly in rural areas, and I'm happy with it. Am I looking for 1 Gbps? Nope, but I'll take 150 or 300 Mbps for €65/75 etc. With either of these I could happily get rid of Sky (€40/month).

Advertisement