Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    unbelivable stuff today, called again to see if any update and no update, apart for "me" to call them back again on Monday and they should have an update then!

I then asked the agent can they send this in a email to me and i got "I have already told you now on the phone", but then she said this

"I am not going to send you an email I have work to do..."

I hung up at this stage and nearly threw my phone at the wall. Called cusomer care and gave out and complained and told them if I not connected by next Friday then I am canceling the whole lot and going back to sky and VF. Also I am not ever going to call them about this again they have to contact me.

I spent a good hour on the phone, at one stage 20mins on hold and then the call timed out and they never called me back:mad:

Sorry this isnt much about FTTH but how S**t Eir are but its the process ye all will have to go through to get FTTH wth Eir.

Isuggest a visit to the eir forum here. Much more sense from them guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

eco-mental you have the patience of a saint. why 150 a month? are you getting offers for first 4 months. If the CEO of eir have no idea how bad things are they can never improve. Have you considered penning him a personal letter. I am waiting to see how you get on before I order and I bet a few more are as well. I have posted on eir board .

Its possible that FTTH is just not ready. I am sure I signed up ages ago and was promised a reply when it was available but have got nothing. When i CHECK my line it says available. I would imagine a site visit would be in order, sorry, when an order is placed to check suitability ie access. I am worried as 18 months is too long.

I know you will keep us posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Maybe you are right ;):p I am a bit wound up now, but you didnt have some tell ya they have better things to be doing like work

"Its five a clock, i'm off on me holliers, its going to be tropic...."

Anyway this is a comercial launch not a trial they have done all learning (or should have) and I am paying a lot of money for this 150e a month. My problem is if they emailed me or called me saying that it will take 4-6 weeks to get it set up then not a problem. But I booked a date for last friday and I could have been in the house here all day waiting for them becasue as I got no communication was it going ahead or not,but alas nothing...they even sent an email confirming that they would be in touch at the beginning of October when I ordered online.

Anyway this is the last post on S**t eircom customer service this is not what the thread is about. next post hopfully will be me putting up speedtest results:D
    I remember same thing happening me except it was with UPC/virginmedia now.They were working in my estate for few weeks but couldn't order for about 3 months even doh the cables were lay down and estate finish.It take time even if the FTTH in your area it takes time before they can light it up and eir sales aren't always updated not defending there customer service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The guys on the ground have had a few days training and were not involved in the trial, this is whole new ballgame to them and will take months to develop proper methods. I know a few working on this, it's a learning curve.

While I certainly understand that it is a new product and a new process. There really isn't any excuse for not keeping customers informed about appointments.

In our modern world people don't have someone sitting at home waiting for Eir to come for over 3 days! They have to take time off work.

Eir should only be booking appointments if they can actually turn up and need to keep people informed well in advance if they can't.

Frankly this is basic customer support and it should be the same if it is a FTTC, FTTH or even a standard phone line install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

swoofer wrote: »
    eco-mental you have the patience of a saint. why 150 a month? are you getting offers for first 4 months. If the CEO of eir have no idea how bad things are they can never improve. Have you considered penning him a personal letter. I am waiting to see how you get on before I order and I bet a few more are as well. I have posted on eir board .

Its possible that FTTH is just not ready. I am sure I signed up ages ago and was promised a reply when it was available but have got nothing. When i CHECK my line it says available. I would imagine a site visit would be in order, sorry, when an order is placed to check suitability ie access. I am worried as 18 months is too long.

I know you will keep us posted.

Yes its around €80 for the first 4 months then 150, I am getting eVision and landline with sports, hd, and multi room so thats why its around that price.

Also the FTTH infrastructure is in place for a few months now, there were installing it during the summer and I was talking to the Eircom lad in the manhole out side my door to confirm what they were at.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I don't think we can expect either Eir or SIRO to go straight from trial to mass rollout in one go. They are effectively still trialling, and it will be a fair while before they've figured things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KOR101 wrote: »
    I don't think we can expect either Eir or SIRO to go straight from trial to mass rollout in one go. They are effectively still trialling, and it will be a fair while before they've figured things out.

I disagree. SIRO have just got started on their first installs yes, eir have been running several deployments for years now and started a big recruitment drive six months ago. And most of the last mile is done. They're ready to roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ED E wrote: »
    I disagree. SIRO have just got started on their first installs yes, eir have been running several deployments for years now and started a big recruitment drive six months ago. And most of the last mile is done. They're ready to roll.

I wouldn't be so sure on that, there's a huge shortage of certain materials and tools required to ramp up this rollout that cannot be got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've heard there is also a major shortage in staff trained up also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

ED E wrote: »

agree. Eir had the ground work done. Rural areas like myself have a chance now for super fast internet. Wouldn't be waiting on Siro. Very happy with my 42 meg connection at moment. Hurry up Eir !

m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Wow, there's toys everywhere. What's your panic, it's not as if you need it for a business. If they're not ready or are having teething problems aren't you as well to wait and not be a guinea pig. It's very early days for a new product on a new network built by techs learning a whole new set of skills.

Complaining is all a consumer can do without pulling their money.

Being disrespected by the agent is the last thing a company should be doing to keep customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

So has anyone got it yet? 1000MB??

M.

markmurphy wrote: »
    So has anyone got it yet? 1000MB??

M.

This week hopefully for me and that's a big hope..:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Really hope this gets rolled out relatively quickly. Struggling to justify paying eircom nearly 60 for only 1mb ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

wobbles wrote: »
    Really hope this gets rolled out relatively quickly. Struggling to justify paying eircom nearly 60 for only 1mb ........

Seriously??? You're crazy! :eek: I cannot understand why someone would do that. Surely there has to be some other service available in your area - unless you are completely down in an isolated valley/the lone house on an island?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

BandMember wrote: »
    Seriously??? You're crazy! :eek: I cannot understand why someone would do that. Surely there has to be some other service available in your area - unless you are completely down in an isolated valley/the lone house on an island?

Nova, Q-Sat, Airwave, UPC? Surely one of those is an alternative?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BandMember wrote: »

Often a stable 1Mb/s DSL connection can be better then a crappy highly variable wireless service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

This week hopefully for me and that's a big hope..:confused:

Did Eir get back to you again and give you an exact date and time?

Did Eir get back to you again and give you an exact date and time?

Nah.... They were to have a date for me today but no joy. I told them I wouldn't call them again and they have not been in touch either. I might be cutting my nose off in spite of my face, but I get angry when I talk to them and they put me on hold for twenty minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Bk is definitely right about a slow stable connection vs wireless. I was down in Kenmare and only had 2m/bit and really it was fine for general stuff. Downloading a 500 meg file did feel nostalgic though.

• Advertisement

Arhhhhhhhhhhhh I am so angry this is crazy stuff I think I will have to call it quits? I didn't call them all week because I asked them to call me but they didn't do I called today.

Anyway it looks like now I have to cancel the order and start all over again and firstly get FTTC then get that connected and then transfer over to FTTH. Why I don't know I can't get FTTH straight I was to be transferred to about dept but I got cut off(for the third time). A bit too mad atm because it could be another two weeks. Unbelievable

Arhhhhhhhhhhhh I am so angry this is crazy stuff I think I will have to call it quits? I didn't call them all week because I asked them to call me but they didn't do I called today.

Anyway it looks like now I have to cancel the order and start all over again and firstly get FTTC then get that connected and then transfer over to FTTH. Why I don't know I can't get FTTH straight I was to be transferred to about dept but I got cut off(for the third time). A bit too mad atm because it could be another two weeks. Unbelievable
    This might sound stupid can you not get siro or can there only be one fibre connection to the house.

rob808 wrote: »
    This might sound stupid can you not get siro or can there only be one fibre connection to the house.

No Siro where I am.

Anyway after an hour and half on the phone and being passed between 4 agents I eventually got someone that actually knew what they wre talking about.

Basically the FTTH installs are having problems with technical issues and they have no idea when they can install it and cant confirm dates yet. Since I ordered FTTH the system kept looking for an install date but it kept bouncing back. Also the FTTH installs are being done by a back office and they are not really in the system proper so the wole thing was messed up. Me changing ISP didnt help matters either.

So what is happening now is that I am going on Eir FTTC first and then who knows whe the FTTH will be done 3/4 weeks maybe longer until they get tech issues sorted. I think another poster mentioned that they were have problmes with the number of techs that are actually trainned to install so that might be the problem.

One good thing is the offers have improved so it will be 50euro for first 4 months for my package down from 87euro(1000mb, evision and landline) and I am getting FTTC for 30euro per month for the first 4 months but hopfully I wont be on that for too long.

I think maanagment know about the issues as I got a call from them also so hopfully things might improve:confused:

That the downside of getting it first but on the upside at least when they get problems solved you hopefully be enjoying 1 Gb broadband.I be get FTTH of eir when they start in 2017 with the rural FTTH rollout they should be well trained by then I hope :).

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

bk wrote: »
    Often a stable 1Mb/s DSL connection can be better then a crappy highly variable wireless service.

Totally agree ..have a 1.5 mb/dsl and believe it or not has never let me down
    Using IDM as download manager a 300 meg file can be downloaded in 26 minutes.

Forget about it lads..........:mad::mad::mad: Think I'll stick with vodafone f**k Eir and their 1Gb FTTH

After five weeks still no closer in getting FTTH. I had an install date for FTTC this afternoon to get me by until they get the FTTH issues sorted and I called last Thursday just to confirm that it would be going ahead today. The agent I was talking to confirmed that there was no reason that it wouldn't be happening today. So I booked the afternoon off...so guess what happened.

NO show, called them and they said that they had no date and it would be early next week. They even suggested that I cancel the whole thing and start all over again:eek::eek: (for the fourth time it would be)

Mad doesn't even go near the rage I have atm, No TV as well as I cancelled sky four weeks ago so that went last Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Forget about it lads..........:mad::mad::mad: Think I'll stick with vodafone f**k Eir and their 1Gb FTTH

After five weeks still no closer in getting FTTH. I had an install date for FTTC this afternoon to get me by until they get the FTTH issues sorted and I called last Thursday just to confirm that it would be going ahead today. The agent I was talking to confirmed that there was no reason that it wouldn't be happening today. So I booked the afternoon off...so guess what happened.

NO show, called them and they said that they had no date and it would be early next week. They even suggested that I cancel the whole thing and start all over again:eek::eek: (for the fourth time it would be)

Mad doesn't even go near the rage I have atm, No TV as well as I cancelled sky four weeks ago so that went last Friday.

That's an absolute joke, but does not surprise me.

As an aside, on the tv, Sky can switch you back on in about 30 seconds (and if you select rejoining Sky on the phone you'll probably get an offer). Shouldn't be contracted so months notice cancellation as well. Sorry for the OT, but might be a temp fix while you wait for tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Yeah and this crowd are in charge of rolling out FTTH - jesus wept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Might be worth name-dropping comreg or consumer protection at this stage.

I've been read you're posts on this. All I can say is that I've had UTV, UPC and Eircom in the past, they've all reduced me to red hot rage at some point. Name the company that does not have crummy customer service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

KOR101 wrote: »
    I've been read you're posts on this. All I can say is that I've had UTV, UPC and Eircom in the past, they've all reduced me to red hot rage at some point. Name the company that does not have crummy customer service?

The only time I can remember of there being a decent customer service was when I was with BT Ireland.
    Don't get me wrong, the people are polite enough, just the service in general sucks.

The phrase ' learn to walk before you can run' comes to mind.

I know I should have told them to stuff it, but I was given a contact within Eir that was pretty high up in the food chain and now I have my own Personal assistant within Eir :D

MY PA will be calling me with daily updates and fast tracking the install with hopefully FTTC this Thursday and from what he was saying it could be only another week if not less after that to get FTTH.

Apparently as I might have mentioned before about some tech issues but also there was a problem in their system that couldn't handle the procedure of moving someone from a different ISP to FTTH. They have procedures for migration to FTTC from a different ISP but not to FTTH that is why I have go to FTTC first for a few days...:confused:

It does not make sense. My understanding is that FTTH is a brand new fibre line all the way to the exchange, in effect it by passes fttc cabinets. To give up VF FTTC to get eir seems a stitch up.

But I do hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It does not make sense. My understanding is that FTTH is a brand new fibre line all the way to the exchange, in effect it by passes fttc cabinets. To give up VF FTTC to get eir seems a stitch up.

While you are correct in your understanding, it is quite likely their ordering systems only know of one type of broadband porting.

These probably say "please map this service to our equivalent service". Since no other provider (I know Siro is there, but nobody has Siro and wants to move to eir yet :rolleyes: or will likely ever want to ... symmetrical baby :D) has an equivalent to FTTH, their systems probably spit out random 1s and 0s all over the floor and it's just a horrible mess that has made ECO_Mental ever so slightly more ... mental. ;)

I think it was more a sales issue with their ordering system. The FTTH installs are being carried out by a back office and it wasn't fully integrated with the sales teams. ATM the sales system is only designed for existing Eir customers and people who have no current ISP? potential customers who have a different ISP than Eir might have problems like me, with the added complication of Eir trying to organize the switch over.

I think it was more a sales issue with their ordering system. The FTTH installs are being carried out by a back office and it wasn't fully integrated with the sales teams. ATM the sales system is only designed for existing Eir customers and people who have no current ISP? potential customers who have a different ISP than Eir might have problems like me, with the added complication of Eir trying to organize the switch over.
    As much as I sympathize with your head wrecking, there must be hundreds of thousands of people who would 'give their eye teeth' to be in your position, so close to FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It seems your problems stem from this 'changing ISP' issue ..... whereas you should have been able to order FTTH as a new customer and when it actually arrives cancel your existing broadband (over copper).

It seems your problems stem from this 'changing ISP' issue ..... whereas you should have been able to order FTTH as a new customer and when it actually arrives cancel your existing broadband (over copper).

Tru dat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tru dat

Hindsight is great! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I'd imagine a large part of the issue is the number port. Same thing happened when fttc launched iirc.

Quick update,

The KN lad arrived this morning at 9am, my PA is doing a great job:P and I am now an EIR FTTC customer and everything is up and running.

Interesting in that the lad this morning is the only lad doing the FTTH installs atm, they have 4/5 trained but only one crew doing them out of 40+ KN vans on the road. So far he has only done about max 10 in total in the Douglas area so not a huge take up yet.

The big problem he sees is the entry of the fibre to the house if that is easy then no problem but he is finding that he is having to break out tiles on the floor take off skirting boards etc(sorry you will have to do this, they are not breaking out tiles for you:rolleyes:) to actually find the duct entry point. Problem is that the builders didn't really take care when putting the ducts so it could be under the floor in the hall or under the wall etc etc.

Other than that, once into the house no problem. I asked him what kind of speeds he was seeing and apparently they don't jack it to your desired profile until after he goes so he has only seen speed-tests at around 100/60Mb and pings around 5/6ms.

Other than that the F2000 router seems better than my VF one it has 5Gz so getting 60mb on the iphone where it was only 30mb on the VF router. The F2000 will be the router for the FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Keep us updated, looking forward to you having the maximum speed profile and posting speedtest results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Quick update,

The KN lad arrived this morning at 9am, my PA is doing a great job:P and I am now an EIR FTTC customer and everything is up and running.

Interesting in that the lad this morning is the only lad doing the FTTH installs atm, they have 4/5 trained but only one crew doing them out of 40+ KN vans on the road. So far he has only done about max 10 in total in the Douglas area so not a huge take up yet.

The big problem he sees is the entry of the fibre to the house if that is easy then no problem but he is finding that he is having to break out tiles on the floor take off skirting boards etc(sorry you will have to do this, they are not breaking out tiles for you:rolleyes:) to actually find the duct entry point. Problem is that the builders didn't really take care when putting the ducts so it could be under the floor in the hall or under the wall etc etc.

Other than that, once into the house no problem. I asked him what kind of speeds he was seeing and apparently they don't jack it to your desired profile until after he goes so he has only seen speed-tests at around 100/60Mb and pings around 5/6ms.

Other than that the F2000 router seems better than my VF one it has 5Gz so getting 60mb on the iphone where it was only 30mb on the VF router. The F2000 will be the router for the FTTH.

So what's the revised date for them to connect you to FTTH?

So what's the revised date for them to connect you to FTTH?

Will know tomorrow morning, but the feeling I get it will be next week. If not early next week

Got a firm date today next Tuesday the 17th. Could have pushed for an earlier priority appointment but I am on a conference for the rest of this week and I want to at home for this.

A bit nervous after talking to the KN Networks lad last week saying that in one or two houses he had to break a flooring tile and strip out a skirting board. There is NO WAY my Missus will let me break our marble tiles for as she puts it "that bloody fibre":)

That is one reason why I have to be here, cover to the damage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Got a firm date today next Tuesday the 17th. Could have pushed for an earlier priority appointment but I am on a conference for the rest of this week and I want to at home for this.

A bit nervous after talking to the KN Networks lad last week saying that in one or two houses he had to break a flooring tile and strip out a skirting board. There is NO WAY my Missus will let me break our marble tiles for as she puts it "that bloody fibre":)

That is one reason why I have to be here, cover to the damage :)

I held off decorating my hall as I thought I was getting FTTH. As I'm not getting it, I started prep work to remove current tiles I found my line comes into it via Hydrodare piping anyway :)

Deagol wrote: »
    I held off decorating my hall as I thought I was getting FTTH. As I'm not getting it, I started prep work to remove current tiles I found my line comes into it via Hydrodare piping anyway :)

Was it under the tiles, I have pic from ten years ago when they were building the house and I can see the hydrodare outside under the driveway before they covered it up but no pics from inside the front door. If I only knew in ten years time I would be putting in fibre I would have taken a few more pics but who knew :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

It appears households in Greystones are beginning to be connected to FTTH. I know of somebody who posted this on his Facebook wall:

4823319039.png

Feck it someone beat me to it :D thats pretty good I would be happy with that

tell him to post on here ie start a new ftth speed thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement