Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

eco mental, I took the plunge yesterday, after a long chat with VF they will not use eir for my FTTH request. So I went on chat with eir and it took an hour, I want to keep FTTC so empahasied it has to be FTTH ONLY. And I have the option to downgrade speed after 4 months BUT the email I have been sent is one they use for FTTC!! Got a call today and I have an appointment for next Thursday in the am!! Just got another email now and this is the worrying bit

" The technician will call you before the work commences. This work will happen outside your home first and if you have Broadband already it will be disabled for a short time."

My email says eir fibre solo bundle!! No mention of extreme. Can you say what kind of paperwork you got? ie did it mention extreme?

I have to say I am a worried chappie now.

ps I would be ECSTATIC with the above speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

......................................Homer_drool.gif
    red_bairn wrote: »
    It appears households in Greystones are beginning to be connected to FTTH. I know of somebody who posted this on his Facebook wall:

4823319039.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    ......................................Homer_drool.gif

most of us wont see those speeds for another 3-5 years! Hopefully by then those speeds will still be impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

swoofer wrote: »
    eco mental, I took the plunge yesterday, after a long chat with VF they will not use eir for my FTTH request. So I went on chat with eir and it took an hour, I want to keep FTTC so empahasied it has to be FTTH ONLY. And I have the option to downgrade speed after 4 months BUT the email I have been sent is one they use for FTTC!! Got a call today and I have an appointment for next Thursday in the am!! Just got another email now and this is the worrying bit

" The technician will call you before the work commences. This work will happen outside your home first and if you have Broadband already it will be disabled for a short time."

My email says eir fibre solo bundle!! No mention of extreme. Can you say what kind of paperwork you got? ie did it mention extreme?

I have to say I am a worried chappie now.

ps I would be ECSTATIC with the above speeds

The last email I got just mentioned a confirmation upgrade my "eir Play" package didn't mention extreme or anything but I wouldn't be using me as an example :( I have had only one email and that was at the very start and it did mention extreme FTTH. But I have had at this stage 3 account numbers not to mention at least 4 order numbers and my order is being done off grid atm.

Just got a call from KN yesterday also confirming my install for next Tuesday morning. One thing to note as I was moving from VF as well eir have this cooling off period of two weeks before they process your order then they get you the date so it could be three weeks if you are moving from a different ISP, so I am surprised you got it that fast. I would double check a few days out just to be sure and ask about this two week cooling off period if you are moving from a different ISP.

That said they might have the systems in place now, when I ordered they weren't fully up and running that's what led to all the confusion with me.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Thanks for reply.

no i am not moving, i am staying with VF fttc just in case and I made that clear from the outset but I was not impressed with live chat, I was given a link for eir pricing and it was .net!! an italian website!! go figure!

My concern is that they will just turn off VF Fttc ie call me from cab when they have switched it!! Basically if they cock up on Thursday I am just going to cancel and wait for a year to let it settle down. Its astonishing there was so much ballyhoo re the rollout and then it has become a damb squib. Best of luck on Tuesdsay. That fibre cable they use to the house is tiny so should be easy to push through ducting. I will be waiting with baited breath for your post on Tues.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Thanks for reply.

no i am not moving, i am staying with VF fttc just in case and I made that clear from the outset but I was not impressed with live chat, I was given a link for eir pricing and it was .net!! an italian website!! go figure!

I'd say it was a typo or brain fart, they had both eircom.net and eircom.ie , but eir.net was gone (as you found)

ECO_Mental, any news??? I am waitiing....

ECO_Mental, any news??? I am waitiing....

Sorry lads, had a last min meeting I couldn't get out of so I had to delay the install until this Thursday morning. Didn't want to put up another post of another delay especially when it was me delaying.

Have to wait another two days sorry about this lads.

ok no worries, I am down for Thursday as well!! I was hoping you would be first and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

How much is the eircom fibre broadband? I can't find any prices for it on their site https://www.eir.ie/broadband-only/

I'm a UPC customer and I'm thinking of switching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

How much is the eircom fibre broadband? I can't find any prices for it on their site https://www.eir.ie/broadband-only/

I'm a UPC customer and I'm thinking of switching

Sky (if you already have TV) and Vodafone are cheaper.

I think he means the new ultrafast, pricing for standalone is kept well hidden, when you go to home page, scroll down and you will the word pricing at bottom left, click on it, and then click on, oh heck, click on this

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

its 70 per month for top 1gb speed. read carefully and you will find it on part 3.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think he means the new ultrafast, pricing for standalone is kept well hidden, when you go to home page, scroll down and you will the word pricing at bottom left, click on it, and then click on, oh heck, click on this

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

its 70 per month for top 1gb speed. read carefully and you will find it on part 3.1

didnt realise you could get it without a landline. double the price of my current vodafone broadband. any sign of vodafone reselling this yet?

VF told me as they intend to use SIRO in Ennis there is no hope they will use eir FTTH which is a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

VF told me as they intend to use SIRO in Ennis there is no hope they will use eir FTTH which is a pity.
    That strange they use eir FTTC so make you wonder would eir use siro network.

yes it has me foxed as well but eir have cabled where I am so it would not make sense for them to pay siro and it does look as if they are providing ftth in the same locations so its a case of first come first serve.

But I am very apprehensive about what eir will do for me on Thursday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

rob808 wrote: »
    That strange they use eir FTTC so make you wonder would eir use siro network.
    yes it has me foxed as well but eir have cabled where I am so it would not make sense for them to pay siro and it does look as if they are providing ftth in the same locations so its a case of first come first serve.

Because SIRO is a joint venture between Vodafone and ESB. Vodafone are likely putting 100 of millions into SIRO. So obviously they are going to use their own network rather then resell a competitors network.

Vodafone started using eir's FTTC and ADSL network many years before they decided to setup and invest in SIRO. It was how they got into the fixed broadband market and probably got a taste for it and nderstanding of the business which was likely needed before they could make such a big investment in the SIRO network.

Yes, Vodafone could resell Eir FTTH, where SIRO isn't yet available (and vice versa) but I expect they are to bust and focused on getting SIRO setup then setting up to sell another Eir product.

It is probably all about priorities.

I expect Eir retail will be the only option for Eir FTTH for the foreseeable future. Once they have a large enough number of people on FTTH, you might see Sky resell it, much in the same way they entered reselling FTTC a few years after it first launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

That actually is very good news because eir FTTH has very limited availability in Ennis at the moment. It is only available in a few of the newer estates and there is no sign of it becoming available in houses that are more than 15 to 20 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

€100 for their 1Gbps line.... My god...

where did you get €100 for 1gbs line?? Its €70.00

got ftth installed today and just getting used to it. Will post a speedtest later. The hardest and slowest part was feeding that fibre cable up the cavity of an outside wall that had insulation beads and sheets/slabs !! and then down a cavity on an inside wall. Total length of fibre from house to dpd was 130 metres.

The guys from K&N were superb and there was also an eircom guy who was also ace. I am delighted to have it installed. The fibre cable is well encased and the size of it is more like good quality sat cable. No 90 degree bends. Loss of .6db!!

I just don't understand that F2000 modem .. yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Great stuff!

Now all you need to do is find somewhere that can utilise that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I are jelly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that looks to be the stuff of fantasy, hopefully the blue lines will become reality and something we can all enjoy by 2020. The wait over the next 3-5 years is gonna be long and painfull!.

got ftth installed today and just getting used to it. Will post a speedtest later. The hardest and slowest part was feeding that fibre cable up the cavity of an outside wall that had insulation beads and sheets/slabs !! and then down a cavity on an inside wall. Total length of fibre from house to dpd was 130 metres.

The guys from K&N were superb and there was also an eircom guy who was also ace. I am delighted to have it installed. The fibre cable is well encased and the size of it is more like good quality sat cable. No 90 degree bends. Loss of .6db!!

I just don't understand that F2000 modem .. yet.

Yeah great stuff, my install was to be tomorrow but another cancellation today by KN:( as the lad who does it had a family emergency so it will be next Tuesday. Will it ever get done. Its been two months now since I first ordered.

As I mentioned before the KN lad said the hardest part is actually getting into the house. I wont have your trouble but not far off;)

Cant wait my self

Its really a 2 man job as the cable run needs two people. I was surprised at the size of the cable and they did say some houses involve taking up tiles!! Newer houses are better specc'd.

There was a few initial glitches but it got sorted. The worst part is when the say " I am testing cable now and if the reading is off.. we have to start again!!

And I kept VF Fttc just in case.

best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Its really a 2 man job as the cable run needs two people. I was surprised at the size of the cable and they did say some houses involve taking up tiles!! Newer houses are better specc'd.

There was a few initial glitches but it got sorted. The worst part is when the say " I am testing cable now and if the reading is off.. we have to start again!!

And I kept VF Fttc just in case.

best of luck.

Could you post some pics of the install please ?
    Enjoy downloading the interweb tonight :-)

• Advertisement

do you mean the 2 boxes on wall? I will do in a bit. Its positioned under my desk ie almost hidden so in a shadow.

by the way the set up was easy, it was running the cable that was a nightmare.

This is it. 2 boxes, black thick cable is the fibre, then short lan cable, white/green to other box and then a brown lan cable to router. Small black power cable. All will be hidden behind desk.

hope that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Total length of fibre from house to dpd was 130 metres.

Just wondering what you mean by dpd?
    Serious speed soooo jealous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

damienirel wrote: »
    Just wondering what you mean by dpd?
    Serious speed soooo jealous!!!

Assume he's referring to the drop point/distribution point in the manhole/on the pole outside his gaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This is it. 2 boxes, black thick cable is the fibre, then short lan cable, white/green to other box and then a brown lan cable to router. Small black power cable. All will be hidden behind desk.

hope that makes sense.

What kind of cable goes from first box to the other?
    Is it fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

ED E wrote: »
    Assume he's referring to the drop point/distribution point in the manhole/on the pole outside his gaff.
    yeah kinda get that already but it can't be both - dpd sounds like it's pole drop just want to confirm is all.

dpd = data point distribution, a new name for cabinet but they cant call it cabinet as its in a manhole. Its board with one big fibre cable in and then a number of single cables out.

Say on a road with 12 houses, they will have a certain number of manholes and in each one they will have a distribution board. And then for 12 houses they may use 3 manholes with 3 boards, and each manhole will have a letter a, b, c, then each house is allocated a letter to tell cable guy where to hook it up. ie nearest letter to house. How do I know all this? Well I was allocated dpd A but B was in fact nearer. However, to get it changed to B would take .. ages. They would have saved on fibre but I would have gained nothing so we used A.

Yes the cable with green on it is fibre and the connector is very much like the ones you see on satellite receiver. It has to be spotlessly clean and they use a special optical cleaner. By the way when the cable is stripped back... there are 2 fibre cables inside!! And one is just cut off. Also this fibre cable is almost invisible. Fixing it to the optical connector is a skill in itself. I have a pic on phone but not sure if it will show up. Will tinker later and post if required.

For the moment I am not allowed to unplug anything, it takes a few days to settle down. And as its working I am touching nothing for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

369082.JPG

hope that makes sense.

Sweet yea got it installed :)

Looking at the image, strange they have the incoming (black covered) fiber spliced to the pigtail in the 3M box on the left and then coming directly out and then into the APC coupler (green yoke). Wait, that pig tail doesn't seem long enough (few bad splices maybe?) and they needed a couper and patch to get it to the modem. Looks a bit horsed together :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The incoming fibre in this photo from the trials looks a lot smaller that the one they installed today, probably due to the extra redundant fibre cable in case the other is faulty

2nlwl5w.jpg

n2yixd.jpg
    ONT (Optical Network Terminal)
    ODP (Optical Distribution Point)

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Sweet yea got it installed :)

Looking at the image, strange they have the incoming (black covered) fiber spliced to the pigtail in the 3M box on the left and then coming directly out and then into the APC coupler (green yoke). Wait, that pig tail doesn't seem long enough (few bad splices maybe?) and they needed a couper and patch to get it to the modem. Looks a bit horsed together :/
    It look a nice and tidy job look forward to hopefully getting myself when Eir start it rural FTTH rollout.

the cush, yes when he stripped back the protective cables that was the size underneath but it was too flexible ie it wobbled like jelly so no chance getting through ducts. I'll post a pic later.

It was my idea to have cable hang loose, and all the cable is buried in cavities and goes through loft. Nothing will be seen.

kerbdog you have me perplexed. black goes to termination point. the green is optical out, I dont know why green connecetor on left is that big and dont care, its a metre long cable so its wrapped round box on right, then a lan cable to router. Its bb only, no phone.

If they used white trunking you would not see the black cable. And the box can be placed various ways to avoid a 90 degree angle. Say they brought cable straight down from roof with external ducting it would go straight into box but my ducting was already in situ so cable comes inside middle of wall and then loops over to point. they left a big loop in loft as well.

And it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The way theyve done it is right, it leaves a clear network termination in place if customers need to move/exchange CPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Swoofer, Do you mind if I ask what road you are on in Ennis? There seems to be some work happening on the Kilrush road at the moment. Hoping it's the ftth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

KOR101 wrote: »
    It not really because it affordable,nobody in there right mind pay €500 for 5Gb connection unless your crazy or rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

yes, let me know too......... i'm off the Kilrush road (Ballybeg), but i don't see anything coming out the kilrush road on the Eir fiber mapping site (no blue lines).

Im off the Rockmount cabinet at present. would be interested to know how they are mapping Ennis and if thy are going to have mini-OLTs in cabs or just a couple of large OLTs in the main Ennis CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

I tried to future-proof my house as much as possible when I renovated last year, Cat6 and Co Ax to all rooms and phone and Co Ax cable into the house which gives me ADSL or Cable as ISP options. So can I ask this what cable comes into the house for this Eir Fiber (co ax or Fiber) and if its the latter will it run above ground or under ground?

I can see I will need to drill more holes in the house :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Fibre optic line, runs through existing ducting.

Advertisement