Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I will try that tomorrow, at the inlaws for the weekend :(

Ah go for a big download ....... try this one at 3.9GB :D:D

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/pclinuxos-kde-fullmonty-2014.12.iso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

did this yesterday evening and wasn't too successful the files size was just over 4GB and took well over 20 odd minutes. Now it was on my crappy laptop using Firefox. It was showing around 7MB/s or 56Megabits/s download speeds(at the time I was getting 500Mbs on speedtest.net, don't think my laptop can handle all the data too well:o)

Now this morning I downloaded a game off Xbox Live its was 15GB and that took 17mins and by my reckoning that was on average 117Mb/s. I also did another game at 8GB and that took 7mins flat and that averages out at 150Mb/s. The speed tests on the Xbox at the time were in the 650Mb/s range. I am assuming the Microsoft servers can handle the data through put

How long would it take you to download 15GB with "Normal BB". This week I am going to swap out the CAT5e for all CAT6 and take the XBone out of the Netgear gigabit switch to see if that makes a difference, I dont think it will.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

I noticed on Eir website they are advertising that a user can upload 100 songs in 3 seconds.
    That would mean the speed would be a 1Gig upload which Eir don't offer right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

all that advertising is rubbish, its all hypotheitcal and it assumes everyone has 1gb down and 1gb up. You will notice eir dont even show speeds anymore. when I do a speedtest to the eir server I get 945mb down and 95mb up but you are inn effect dong nothing, Choose a different server and speed drops, use a different router and speed drops again. This is all new tech. I can dowload some stuff at 11mb as opposed to 4.5mb with efibre. some pages load faster others the same. I kept efibre fttc so i can compare. The difference is .. not a lot. I get 38mb down with efibre. The pings are 11 with fttc and 6/7 with ftth. All advertising is lies Not tried uploading yet.

All I can say is am as happy as .. Not in a million years did I think I would have ftth. Apparently siro are goinf to have 1gb down and 1gb up but it will probably be limited.

I forgot to say eir can do the same as there are 2 fibre cables when they do the installation, they only use one, for the future. I dont think I'll see 1gb down and up with eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

swoofer wrote: »
    all that advertising is rubbish, its all hypotheitcal and it assumes everyone has 1gb down and 1gb up. You will notice eir dont even show speeds anymore. when I do a speedtest to the eir server I get 945mb down and 95mb up but you are inn effect dong nothing, Choose a different server and speed drops, use a different router and speed drops again. This is all new tech. I can dowload some stuff at 11mb as opposed to 4.5mb with efibre. some pages load faster others the same. I kept efibre fttc so i can compare. The difference is .. not a lot. I get 38mb down with efibre. The pings are 11 with fttc and 6/7 with ftth. All advertising is lies Not tried uploading yet.

All I can say is am as happy as .. Not in a million years did I think I would have ftth. Apparently siro are goinf to have 1gb down and 1gb up but it will probably be limited.

I forgot to say eir can do the same as there are 2 fibre cables when they do the installation, they only use one, for the future. I dont think I'll see 1gb down and up with eir.

Not sure what more you are expecting Eir to do here? You basically have a 1Gb/s from your home to Eirs peering points, after that you are on the internet and there are no guarantees what speed you will get.

You know that you get 1Gb/s as you have done a speedtest within Eir's network and that is all they are in control off. Once you select a different speedtest server that is out of their control. The speedtest server you are connected to could have a 100Mb connection or a 10 year old server, who knows??!! Even in a good case where they have a 1Gb/s and a good server, it only takes another couple of users to download from that same server and you both slow down.

In a few years time when the rest of the world catches up with your connection then you can start to the reap the benefits of having a 1Gb/s connection, until then at least you know you have a future proofed connection and are the envy of most of this forum.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Eir and Siro both seem to be using the exactly same FTTH technology, GPON, which means they are both capable of the same upload and download speeds. OF course that doesn't mean they will decide to offer the exact same products. I'm sure they will have different combinations of speed and performance.

BTW GPON is not symmetric, it's total upload speed is half of the download speed.

It is good that Eir pull two fibers, in case one fails. But I don't expect they will activate both simultaneously. However they can potentially offer even faster speeds in future by upgrading to future standards 10GPON, 40GPON, etc.

FTTH is the broadband technology for the next 100 years and we are just at the start of its evolution now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

bk wrote: »
    Eir and Siro both seem to be using the exactly same FTTH technology, GPON, which means they are both capable of the same upload and download speeds. OF course that doesn't mean they will decide to offer the exact same products. I'm sure they will have different combinations of speed and performance.

BTW GPON is not symmetric, it's total upload speed is half of the download speed.

It is good that Eir pull two fibers, in case one fails. But I don't expect they will activate both simultaneously. However they can potentially offer even faster speeds in future by upgrading to future standards 10GPON, 40GPON, etc.

FTTH is the broadband technology for the next 100 years and we are just at the start of its evolution now.
    What do google fibre use? they get "Up to 1 gigabit (1,000 Mbps) upload & download speeds" according to their website.

I know digiman and I am not complaining, I was explaining the speeds fiasco.

@bk can you theoretically get 1gb up and down on the same fibre? Best I get is 95mb so I assumed eir had maxed it at that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

511 wrote: »
    What do google fibre use? they get "Up to 1 gigabit (1,000 Mbps) upload & download speeds" according to their website.

they use gpon.
    I know digiman and I am not complaining, I was explaining the speeds fiasco.

@bk can you theoretically get 1gb up and down on the same fibre? Best I get is 95mb so I assumed eir had maxed it at that!!

The theoretical is 2.5Gb/1.5Gb down/up for first generations, I berieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is advantaged

in the land of shyte internet, the FTTH is the dogs...

the advantages as i see it are being able to do many things at once, rather than expect servers to be able to pump out downloads to one point at 1000Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GPON is 2.488 Gbit/s down, 1.244 Gbit/s up, but shared with up to 64 of your neighbours. I believe Eir are only sharing with 32 neighbours, which is more typical these days for GPON networks.

As to what Google Fiber use, there has been a lot of mystery, confusion and uncertainty around that, as Google themselves don't say.

What I believe they are doing, is a slightly unusual setup of GPON sitting on top of WDM-PON. So in the customers home it looks like just plain old GPON, but in fact it is sitting on top of WDM-PON. This means each customer has a dedicated wavelenght, thus they aren't actually sharing the GPON connection with any other neighbours like you would with Eir/Siro and are thus able to take advantage of the full GPON speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    GPON is 2.488 Gbit/s down, 1.244 Gbit/s up, but shared with up to 64 of your neighbours. I believe Eir are only sharing with 32 neighbours, which is more typical these days for GPON networks.

As to what Google Fiber use, there has been a lot of mystery, confusion and uncertainty around that, as Google themselves don't say.

What I believe they are doing, is a slightly unusual setup of GPON sitting on top of WDM-PON. So in the customers home it looks like just plain old GPON, but in fact it is sitting on top of WDM-PON. This means each customer has a dedicated wavelenght, thus they aren't actually sharing the GPON connection with any other neighbours like you would with Eir/Siro and are thus able to take advantage of the full GPON speeds.

Eir are rolling with 10GPON not GPON ;)

As a matter of interest what's the logic in keeping the upload speed so low? It would make more sense to me to have a faster upload and slower download.

just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

As a matter of interest what's the logic in keeping the upload speed so low? It would make more sense to me to have a faster upload and slower download.

just curious
    They probably don't want to stress the network yet or they think people don't need a 1Gb up at the moment.

Its a limit of the tech and standards devised by the ITU. Its not eir saying people dont need 1G up.

If they run one fibre from the exchange to every house, symmetric. If they run 20 fibres to the vicinity then split off its Asymmetric. The latter is cheaper to deploy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    Is 10GPON 10 times GPON (GPON is 2.488 Gbit/s down, 1.244 Gbit/s up), shared between 32 customers?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Is 10GPON 10 times GPON (GPON is 2.488 Gbit/s down, 1.244 Gbit/s up), shared between 32 customers?

10Gigabit, not 10x GPON.

So its 10GB split up to 32 ways. Probably less in most areas. Most estates have one cab for 200 homes and 20 fibres to use, so thats 10 subs per fibre, roughly, giving 1Gb down 0.1Gb up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

just curious

I reckon it would cannibalise existing revenues received from business leased line products as busineses would switch to consumer priced products.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Hi, just got the 1GB FTTH installed today - delighted. Just wondering as free calls to landline and mobiles are included, how long did it take for the line to activate and also for speeds to ramp up, currently getting about 200MB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

they are rolling out standard GPON, there are no volume NGPON or XGPON rollouts anywhere in the world, in actual fact, NGPON which has only just been ratified will most likely only be used for Enterprise customers as GPON has enough BW for the next 5-10 years

You may be in the know more than I but Huawei, eirs best buds in their NGA ventures, have OLTs in production for a while.
    SmartAX MA5818, MA5821, MA5822, and MA5898 are multi-service 10G Passive Optical Network (PON) access devices to enhance Fiber-To-The-Building (FTTB) and Fiber-To-The-Curb (FTTC) high-bandwidth services.

PFL wrote: »
    Hi, just got the 1GB FTTH installed today - delighted. Just wondering as free calls to landline and mobiles are included, how long did it take for the line to activate and also for speeds to ramp up, currently getting about 200MB

Mine was up fairly fast, almost straight away. The tech was still there and I was reading 650mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What are the specs of the device you're testing on? How are you testing? And how are you connected?

Mine was up fairly fast, almost straight away. The tech was still there and I was reading 650mb

Can I ask about the phone line / VOIP, was it enabled or how long did it take to enable?

What are the specs of the device you're testing on? How are you testing? And how are you connected?

Testing using the speed test app over wireless?

• Advertisement

Testing using the speed test app over wireless?

You're doing well, that is the maximum you will get over wireless. You'll need to be connected by cable, have gigabit capable port and need to have a device fast enough for gigabit to get full speed. Even then the speedtest servers will have problems giving an accurate reading.

Can I ask about the phone line / VOIP, was it enabled or how long did it take to enable?

Haven't used it at all, have not used a land line at home in ten years 😊

You're doing well, that is the maximum you will get over wireless. You'll need to be connected by cable, have gigabit capable port and need to have a device fast enough for gigabit to get full speed. Even then the speedtest servers will have problems giving an accurate reading.

I agree that connection via ethernet will give the best results, but it isn't true to say that the maximum speed you'll get on wifi is 200Mbps... 802.11ac has a theoretical maximum of 1.3Gbps

"1.3 gigabits per second (Gbps) is the speed most commonly cited as the 802.11ac standard. This translates to 166 megabytes per second (MBps) or 1331 megabits per second (Mbps). It is vastly quicker than the 450Mbit per second (0.45Gbps) headline speeds quoted on the highest performing 802.11n routers.May 11, 2015"

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

You may be in the know more than I but Huawei, eirs best buds in their NGA ventures, have OLTs in production for a while.

I agree, but i while XGPON has been around for a while, and while i apprecaite Huawei can support it, it hasn't been widely deployed in the world.
    Most operators are waiting for NGPON2 standard which can offer full symmetrical 10G/10G to subscribers (XGPON is not symetrical its 10G/1G), even there, NGPON2 will be targetted at mainly enterprise customers rather than residential, the benefit of NGPON over dedcated 10G ports being that NGPON2 and GPON can co-exist on the same fiber. The only place i know of in the world where XGPON is being offered to residential customers is HongKong, it was never widely taken up in the market. NGPON2 will be the winner from a technology selection perspective.

Haven't used it at all, have not used a land line at home in ten years 😊

I'm the same myself, we have a timber frame house and the mobile reception is patchy despite living in town.

The 1GB bundle includes free calls to national and mobile numbers, figure it justifies putting the phone back in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

I'm the same myself, we have a timber frame house and the mobile reception is patchy despite living in town.

The 1GB bundle includes free calls to national and mobile numbers, figure it justifies putting the phone back in

hope you don't have an old style phone..:D

sibergoth wrote: »
    I agree that connection via ethernet will give the best results, but it isn't true to say that the maximum speed you'll get on wifi is 200Mbps... 802.11ac has a theoretical maximum of 1.3Gbps

"1.3 gigabits per second (Gbps) is the speed most commonly cited as the 802.11ac standard. This translates to 166 megabytes per second (MBps) or 1331 megabits per second (Mbps). It is vastly quicker than the 450Mbit per second (0.45Gbps) headline speeds quoted on the highest performing 802.11n routers.May 11, 2015"

There is a huge difference between quoted theoretical speeds and what you'll actually get in real life surroundings with interference and other devices connected. Theoretical speeds are done once, in test conditions, in a lab, in a Faraday cage and with only one device connected. Nobody got 450mbit over wireless n, you'll struggle to get much more than 150mbit. This is a cheap as chips Huawei wireless modem, it's actual speed will not be much over 200mbit in real world speeds and at that they are doing very well

Theoretical speeds are done once, in test conditions, in a lab, in a Faraday cage and with only one device connected.

A tad exaggerated...
    I've worked in an anechoic chamber. Tests are done more than once... !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

sibergoth wrote: »
    A tad exaggerated...
    I've worked in an anechoic chamber. Tests are done more than once... !

It's still tested in perfect conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

It allso can be limited speed wise due to how the fibre was pulled....bend it too much and speed is reduced...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    hope you don't have an old style phone..:D

Sure they're retro now...

Quick question and excuse my ignorance but can I just swap put my f2000 for a better router with out all this bridging stuff. Is the f2000 only acting as a router anyway since the ONT connects into the WAN.

As long as you can set the WAN VLAN ID on the new unit you sure can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone know if FTTH is being rolled out in Balrothery / Balbriggan? Eir were in my estate on Tuesday, bloke mentioned to my wife that they were installing faster broadband. We already have fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

dubmick wrote: »
    anyone know if FTTH is being rolled out in Balrothery / Balbriggan? Eir were in my estate on Tuesday, bloke mentioned to my wife that they were installing faster broadband. We already have fibre.

Put in your number sure
    https://www.eir.ie/extreme

I think I saw the placename somewhere, my Uncle lives there so it caught my attention.
    Ah, it's in the plans yeah... by 2020.
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Balbriggan is on the list of the first 19 towns:
    https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eircom-Selects-Huawei-for-Fibre-to-the-Home/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

SIRO too for Balbriggan. I'm hoping for a better product from them.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/broadband-plan-esb-vodafone-1550088-Jul2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

It will be years before SIRO will be in Balbriggan unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

It will be years before SIRO will be in Balbriggan unfortunately

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Article in last Sunday's Sunday Times newspaper business section titled "Eir kept rivals in the dark over fibre plan"

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/notification_of_non-compliance_sent_to_eir.583.105046.p.html
      THE communications regulator ComReg has ruled Eir, formerly known as Eircom, discriminated against rival operators by keeping them in the dark over its plans to roll out fibre broadband to homes.

Eir is the incumbent and dominant player in the telecommunications market. It is obliged to ensure that it does not give its retail business any advantage over rival operators who use its network.

ComReg said last week it had investigated Eir’s adherence to its obligations and found the company provided information to its retail arm about plans to roll out fibre to homes three weeks before other operators. It issued Eir with a finding of non-compliance under the non-discrimination obligations, and may impose a sanction on the company.

Eir said it disagreed with the ComReg finding. “We will be contesting this finding vigorously,” said a spokesman.

Ronan Lupton of the Alternative Operators in the Communications Market group, which represents Sky, Vodafone, BT and Magnet, said "We need more of this from Comreg and more attention to compliance at Eir".

Seperately Comreg are undertaking a wider review or Eir's regulatory compliance after claims it favours its own retail arm. An Eir internal report found 20 areas where it's failing to ensure a level playing field with competitors.
      http://www.comreg.ie/publications/eir_s_regulatory_governance_-_comreg_announces_review_of_eir_s_regulatory_governance_model.583.105002.p.html
      https://www.eir.ie/regulatoryinformation/regulatory-governance-model/

The same 4 companies have also entered into a formal dispute with Eir over fault repair times for the phone and broadband networks
      http://www.comreg.ie/publications/submitted_dispute_document_relating_to_eircom_s_current_generation_access_regulated_contract_terms.583.105001.p.html

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

If we knew about it, surely they did too?

2. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at least Eir are planning to roll out decent fibre to rural locations that really NEED it, even if theres a few years of a wait, as nobody else seems to even have a plan to bring decent broadband. Don't see anything wrong with it in the land of dial-up/adsl/dongles/wisps and satellite.

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »

Members of ALTO (Alternative Operators in the Communications Market) are meeting with the Department of Communications this Tuesday regarding its dispute with Eir.

ALTO members - BT, ESB Telecoms, Sky, Vodafone, Three, Virgin Media, Magnet, Colt Telecom and Verizon

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/telcos-demand-faster-reform-as-battle-with-eir-escalates-34390942.html

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

As long as you can set the WAN VLAN ID on the new unit you sure can.
      Is it a particular VLAN ID needed. I suspect VLAN10....going to try and get a Juniper SRX working on an Eir line later today

5. Advertisement
    6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it a particular VLAN ID needed. I suspect VLAN10....going to try and get a Juniper SRX working on an Eir line later today

AFAIK yes, all the residential/SME traffic is over VLAN10, if you're a corporate customer there may be others in use but I've only seen mention of 10.

Advertisement