Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Calebmcd wrote: »
    I don't know whats going on in Buncrana. But there seems to be plenty of exchanges. But barely any place gets 100mb!

For in my estate, the first row gets 70mb, my row gets 60mb, rest of the estate behind me goes 50, 40 ,30.

Now I actually get 51mb on sync. Got a feeling either its all old wiring in the town or they just need more exchanges. Plus i'm pretty sure they don't have vectoring turned on yet. Plus if there is no LLU on the exchange how does Vodafone get in? Or is llu on on adsl?

Thinking of moving to Letterkenny, at least they have eir and siro doing 1Gb FTTH now. Buncrana is getting 1Gb too, but if they can't successfully supply 100mb to the town, what hope is there to get 1000mb?

"Unfortunately eir Fibre Extreme is not currently available in your area; we are constantly working on improving our network and expanding our 1000Mb reach."
    Open Eir don't like the middle of the town though. I'm hoping Siro are more open to going into a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

I don't know whats going on in Buncrana. But there seems to be plenty of exchanges. But barely any place gets 100mb!

For in my estate, the first row gets 70mb, my row gets 60mb, rest of the estate behind me goes 50, 40 ,30.

Now I actually get 51mb on sync. Got a feeling either its all old wiring in the town or they just need more exchanges. Plus i'm pretty sure they don't have vectoring turned on yet. Plus if there is no LLU on the exchange how does Vodafone get in? Or is llu on on adsl?

Thinking of moving to Letterkenny, at least they have eir and siro doing 1Gb FTTH now. Buncrana is getting 1Gb too, but if they can't successfully supply 100mb to the town, what hope is there to get 1000mb?

Only estates on one side of the town has access to the 1Gb, as for live connections I havnt heard of any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if (as they claim) they've run extra fibre to every cab for FTTH deployment, what exactly determines which parts of a particular town can get FTTH? Here in Greystones it seems to be only 2 estates, both well away from the town centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I'm in Linsfort area and on blue line. Any idea when they are going to start? I asked a Eircom man working on a fibre cabinet in the town and he said to ignore the rollout map as it would be 2020 at the earliest before FTTH was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

I'm in Linsfort area and on blue line. Any idea when they are going to start? I asked a Eircom man working on a fibre cabinet in the town and he said to ignore the rollout map as it would be 2020 at the earliest before FTTH was available.
    He wouldn't know it open Eir that will decide when it rollout to your location.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah ignore that. Apart from the odd update from Eir every few months there are no updates to what is happening. Fiber is being worked on in our area as part of the rural blue line scheme yet there are no updates on the maps, on the website or even the line checkers.

Makes me wonder what other areas are being worked on right now, surely with a scheme as big as this, my area isnt' the only one right now? They must have started in other areas as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Just saw an advertisement in Balbriggan railway station that 1000mb broadband was now available in Balbriggan. Anyone know where? Not at my address yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

KOR101 wrote: »
    Just saw an advertisement in Balbriggan railway station that 1000mb broadband was now available in Balbriggan. Anyone know where? Not at my address yet.

Wouldn't get too excited, it seems in other towns that it's a very limited rollout. Unless your in a housing estate built in the last 10(?) years and next to a cabinet, I very much doubt you'll get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I didn't see the advert, was it Eir or Siro / Vodafone?

I checked the online checker for my address and friends houses and none could get it. I tried addresses along the blue lines on the eir web site and also none could get it.

So I really don't know where it is available.

• Advertisement

zAXNfxV.jpg

Deagol wrote: »
    Wouldn't get too excited, it seems in other towns that it's a very limited rollout. Unless your in a housing estate built in the last 10(?) years and next to a cabinet, I very much doubt you'll get it.
    New estate. Cabinet in estate. Close to cabinet. All good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice one KOR, but can you add an "m" in that URL before .jpg, its bloody massive ;)

Thanks Kor,

assuming the advert isn't a mistake or just being advertised too early. I would love to know where 1000m/bit is actually available. I've tried around 30 addresses now, most in likely spots I would have thought should be covered but no joy.

I spoke to sales and they don't know where it's available either. Really why spend good money on advertising a product that may* pass apparently 320 homes. Also not inform your own sales staff or systems. Frustrating.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Eir may tell you your 'Area' has Extreme Fibre but that means SFA. I got an email back in October telling me Fibre Extreme was available in my 'Area' and 6 months later it still isn't. 'Area' to me means my immediate area, i.e. my estate or road. 'Area' to Eir means an entire town where maybe 1 estate is enabled in total but will try to claim to entire town is enabled. A load of guff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

agreed thats really bs if they claim a whole town is enabled yet it might only be 1 street/few houses in reality.

Balbriggan is listed as 1 of 17 towns as 'live' on the eir extreme checker webpage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

LFCFan wrote: »
    Eir may tell you your 'Area' has Extreme Fibre but that means SFA. I got an email back in October telling me Fibre Extreme was available in my 'Area' and 6 months later it still isn't. 'Area' to me means my immediate area, i.e. my estate or road. 'Area' to Eir means an entire town where maybe 1 estate is enabled in total but will try to claim to entire town is enabled. A load of guff

I would think 'area' in eir parlance would be the area serviced by an exchange ---- the exchange from which the fibre is fed out.

So if the exchange provides FTTH to any recipients then the exchange area has Fibre Extreme ........ just not to all parts of the area.

One comes to expect such fudging from commercial organisations (and politicians :) )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I would think 'area' in eir parlance would be the area serviced by an exchange ---- the exchange from which the fibre is fed out.

So if the exchange provides FTTH to any recipients then the exchange area has Fibre Extreme ........ just not to all parts of the area.

One comes to expect such fudging from commercial organisations (and politicians :) )

I agree but it's beyond cheeky to send an email to someone to tell them it's available now and to click on a link to go order. If it was a case of being a few weeks away I'd forgive them but when it's 6 months later and still nothing, that's just wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Hi folks,

I got and email from Pure today to say FTTH is available to my house in Monaghan.

I'm currently on their 90MB FTTC package for €47 pm.

The FTTH packages are as follows:

150MB for €65 pm.
    300MB for €75 pm.
    1000MB for €85 pm.

All their packages include unlimited calls and data.

I'm wondering if it's worth it, would I notice much difference from what I currently have?

Cheers,
    mcquaim

Kor101,

So a buddy of mine has confirmed that FTTH is actually now available in some large areas in Balrothery. That work is complete, I've also confirmed this by checking on Eir's line checker.

Balrothery is of course, NOT Balbriggan :)

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    Kor101,

So a buddy of mine has confirmed that FTTH is actually now available in some large areas in Balrothery. That work is complete, I've also confirmed this by checking on Eir's line checker.

Balrothery is of course, NOT Balbriggan :)
    Thanks for the detective work. I assume Balrothery already had FTTC. There must be a reason they started there.

Thanks for the detective work. I assume Balrothery already had FTTC. There must be a reason they started there.

It does yes, at least 3 cab's if my memory is right. So it's possible these estates now covered by ftth, did not have fttc. I'll try and find that out.

edit. I'm 90% sure one of them had a cab already, now I can't be sure the cab right out side that estate served it...but it would seem logical. What that means I don't know. Are they going to blow the practically from the cab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

mcquaim wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I got and email from Pure today to say FTTH is available to my house in Monaghan.

I'm currently on their 90MB FTTC package for €47 pm.

The FTTH packages are as follows:

150MB for €65 pm.
    300MB for €75 pm.
    1000MB for €85 pm.

All their packages include unlimited calls and data.

I'm wondering if it's worth it, would I notice much difference from what I currently have?

Cheers,
    mcquaim

I suppose it depends on how much you use the FTTC? Do you find it slowing down at times? Is there much buffering? Or does it go along blisteringly fast all of time?

If the latter, then the only real difference would be on the upstream speed. The 150Mbps package has a 30Mbps upstream, whereas you're probably on 20Mbps at the moment. So if you use "the cloud" a lot, synchronise lots of data with on-line storage or transfer lots of data to other sites then the increased upstream speed should benefit you.

The 300Mbps package has 50Mbps up and the 1,000Mbps package has 100Mbps up.

It does yes, at least 3 cab's if my memory is right. So it's possible these estates now covered by ftth, did not have fttc. I'll try and find that out.

edit. I'm 90% sure one of them had a cab already, now I can't be sure the cab right out side that estate served it...but it would seem logical. What that means I don't know. Are they going to blow the practically from the cab?
    Are SIRO starting with outlying areas first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on how much you use the FTTC? Do you find it slowing down at times? Is there much buffering? Or does it go along blisteringly fast all of time?

If the latter, then the only real difference would be on the upstream speed. The 150Mbps package has a 30Mbps upstream, whereas you're probably on 20Mbps at the moment. So if you use "the cloud" a lot, synchronise lots of data with on-line storage or transfer lots of data to other sites then the increased upstream speed should benefit you.

The 300Mbps package has 50Mbps up and the 1,000Mbps package has 100Mbps up.

Well, I work from home as an IT developer so I'm constantly online. To be fair I haven't noticed much slowdown with Pure FTTC.

I connect to the head office via Cisco AnyConnect VPN. I think the slowdown is actually the limitations in the head office as I never actually get near the up or down speeds I have available on FTTC currently.

I upload a good bit of photos to the cloud but nothing major that my current 20Mbps isn't handling fine!

I also stream a good bit online but again it doesn't suffer slowdown so much and with online gaming it's currently working fine too.

I think I've answered it myself, currently I don't think I have the need for more than what I have.

As nice as FTTH sounds it probably isn't worth it currently to jump from 100Mbps to 1000Mbps.

If I was only getting 5-6Mbps then I'd be signing up straight away..

Thanks a mill.

Are SIRO starting with outlying areas first?

I dont think they are, to date they are only available/planning in urban areas of more than 4,000 residents. A complete contrast to Eir's FTTH rollout.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I dont think they are, to date they are only available/planning in urban areas of more than 4,000 residents. A complete contrast to Eir's FTTH rollout.
    This is the town thread. I meant outlying areas of the towns they've started in. That might explain why EIR would start in Balrothery.

I haven't analyzed it but the ideal target for OpenEir is medium density areas just around VDSL areas. Not economical for copper but still ok periods to recoup investments. The crappy one house every 800m of road areas can be paid for by the NBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

This is the town thread.
    This is the Eir Thread! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

ED E wrote: »
    I haven't analyzed it but the ideal target for OpenEir is medium density areas just around VDSL areas. Not economical for copper but still ok periods to recoup investments. The crappy one house every 800m of road areas can be paid for by the NBP.
    Would any of you know if there is a case to be made where there are say 35 houses within a 1 km cluster within 500m of where the blue line stops?
    We have this case in our area it seems that it was not analysed thoroughly as they are covering areas with less housing density on the route from the VDSL cab. Is there any way of making a business case on this?

• Advertisement

seaniefr wrote: »
    Would any of you know if there is a case to be made where there are say 35 houses within a 1 km cluster within 500m of where the blue line stops?
    We have this case in our area it seems that it was not analysed thoroughly as they are covering areas with less housing density on the route from the VDSL cab. Is there any way of making a business case on this?

OpenEir have set realistic targets of 100 and 300k, this has probably meant there are many clusters like yours that could be viable but that their access development guys have had to skip for now purely because of the limits in how much they can afford to deploy right now.

The eircom group has historically ignored requests from the community but the odd time has listened to TDs. There's a high chance you're NBP eligible so while the timeline is now longer than it was a week ago it weakens your argument that you need the rollout extended.

I spoke to sales and they don't know where it's available either. Really why spend good money on advertising a product that may* pass apparently 320 homes. Also not inform your own sales staff or systems. Frustrating.
    Another ad now outside the SPAR.

When you say 320 homes, that's the 'blue lines' rural 100,000 home scheme. Why could it not be the 66 town scheme?

Another ad now outside the SPAR.

When you say 320 homes, that's the 'blue lines' rural 100,000 home scheme. Why could it not be the 66 town scheme?

I've found no evidence of actual availability in "Balbriggan" yet. So if the adverts are counting Balrothery as Balbriggan then yes we certainly found quite a lot of the 320. The Eir website lists Balbriggan and Balrothery separately so without further evidence it's hard to see what's going on. If I find out more I'll post here. I don't know if the current lot is the "rural" or "town".

There would be some great candidate estates in central Balbriggan for FTTH as they are currently very poorly served by FTTC. (download rates between 20-25 and that's after pleading to get bumps on the initial offering).

I've found no evidence of actual availability in "Balbriggan" yet. So if the adverts are counting Balrothery as Balbriggan then yes we certainly found quite a lot of the 320. The Eir website lists Balbriggan and Balrothery separately so without further evidence it's hard to see what's going on. If I find out more I'll post here. I don't know if the current lot is the "rural" or "town".

There would be some great candidate estates in central Balbriggan for FTTH as they are currently very poorly served by FTTC. (download rates between 20-25 and that's after pleading to get bumps on the initial offering).

I would say its the town ftth and not the rural ftth, the blue line scheme has only had preparation work carried out so far such as ducting/pole checking and tree/hedge trimming.

The fibrerollout map claims that 750 homes can access 1000meg FTTH in Balbriggan since 19 March 2016, that would definitely be the 66 towns scheme.

Saw another ad in the Fingal Independent as well.

This is what the map says....

xJQIREY.png

Also, it's definitely the town scheme. It's listed at the very bottom of this page...

https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

From an end users perspective yes, commercially its a small incentive as you know.

I remember Balbriggan was one of the very first ones to be mentioned after the testing phase but 750 is a pretty small footprint.

The mystery is where the hell the houses are. I've just checked a couple of dozen estates and no luck.

Ed e you are right of course about the commercial decision, I think it would be ethically fair for Eir to realise the balls they made of some of the estates however and rectify it with FTTH. 18 m/bit to 25 in large estates is not a good modern connection. They could have put a cab or two more in the right places alternatively. It's more the fact we don't believe the figures. Balbriggan is quite a big town, but between a few of us on here we've checked all over it and found no availability at all. Balrothery yes. A lot of availability. It's not Balbriggan even though Eir on one site count it as Balbriggan, and on their own checker list it separately. There is no availability off the blue lines, so it would be just nice to know where those 750 houses allegedly are.

OpenEir still operate somewhat on the previous P&T districts, would Balrothery have been part of the Balbriggan district perhaps?

• Advertisement

Totally would have been served off the Balbriggan exchange alright. Have actually found my first house with FTTH Eir availability. Exactly where I did not think i would find it. Right in a UPC area, no where near one of the blue lines. That is interesting.

Balbriggan lads, if you want to drop me a pm, I can share a google doc with areas I've confirmed have / have not FTTH in the Balbriggan / Balrothery area. If you like to contribute we can maybe map the town fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pj60

What about rural ireland.clonown in athlone in particular when will they see it.nothing done on the flood situation yet so not holding my breath on broadband

ED E wrote: »
    OpenEir still operate somewhat on the previous P&T districts, would Balrothery have been part of the Balbriggan district perhaps?
    All the Balbriggan and Balrothery cabs have a BR2 prefix, so they certainly do lump them together.

I once talked to an urban economist about this and he said that there is a rule for how much distance there must be between towns before they are considered separate for census purposes. He told me the rule but I forget. But, Balbriggan and Balrothery are definitely defined to be separate towns, even though you could get into a debate about whether they do in fact satisfy the rule. Basically, the golf course car park is the separator.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A total of 521 premises were connected to FTTH services in the last week:

Cavan Town, Co. Cavan, cab 025 (74)
    Greystones, Co. Wicklow, cab 010 & 059 (278)
    Rathedmond, Co. Sligo, cab 039 (169)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

marno21 wrote: »
    A total of 521 premises were connected to FTTH services in the last week:

Cavan Town, Co. Cavan, cab 025 (74)
    Greystones, Co. Wicklow, cab 010 & 059 (278)
    Rathedmond, Co. Sligo, cab 039 (169)

where are you getting that from - first time I've seen actual cab IDs listed for FTTH. Those 2 in Greystones are both in fairly new estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

loyatemu wrote: »
    where are you getting that from - first time I've seen actual cab IDs listed for FTTH. Those 2 in Greystones are both in fairly new estates.

http://www.openeir.ie/Techbytes/

Top article. I believe that it is the first mention of specific FTTH deployments in their weekly updates.

Also I think there is a typo in the speeds quoted. They should be up to 1000Mb/s not 100Mb/s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Any idea what they charge end users, and whether there is a FUP on the traffic? Eir's FTTC has the 1TB FUP, which is probably fine at 30M, but can be hard on 1000M...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

MichaelR wrote: »
    Any idea what they charge end users, and whether there is a FUP on the traffic? Eir's FTTC has the 1TB FUP, which is probably fine at 30M, but can be hard on 1000M...

https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

I am sure if you read t&c on the website above there is something on FUP.

Edit: Actually I had a quick look and can only find the 1TB for eir fibre. Maybe someone with a FTTH contract can tell you.
    Excess usage is charged at €2.03 per GB up to a maximum of €24.40 inc VAT per month. eir Fibre packages with an unlimited usage allowance are subject to a fair usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 inc VAT for every 10GB up to a maximum of €100 inc VAT per month.

Thanks for the link! It does explain the prices but sadly it does not seem to have a T&C link so nothing about the FUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

MichaelR wrote: »
    Thanks for the link! It does explain the prices but sadly it does not seem to have a T&C link so nothing about the FUP.

Yeah. I'd say it could be the same 1TB as there is nothing to say otherwise and the support page is a bit vague too just saying eir fibre

1Gb/s with 1TB FUP is unworkable, really. HD streaming will auto-set to max quality and could burn through a terabyte in a few days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement