Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

1363738394042»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Siro are also rolling out fibre in Ennis.

Yup, lots of work going on in North side of Ennis. Had the power off twice for 1/2 day so far for fibre rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

we used to live behind St Flannans and the road was dug up for Virgin* media i think, but before we could get it we were forced to move (don't ask) and now we live in Ballybeg, just far enough between two cabinets that we can only get 38Mbps now...

I'm really hoping that either Eir (FTTH) or SIRO will come down here but there's no signs of it...
    (not really interested in Virgin Media, but i guess whatever...)

I had 90/20 Mbps before.. now cut to 38/8... not happy !!!

is there any way to canvas any of those companies to get the area on the rollout maps ??

* i never found out for sure if it was SIRO or Virgin media - or maybe BOTH of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

sibergoth wrote: »
    we used to live behind St Flannans and the road was dug up for Virgin* media i think, but before we could get it we were forced to move (don't ask) and now we live in Ballybeg, just far enough between two cabinets that we can only get 38Mbps now...

I'm really hoping that either Eir (FTTH) or SIRO will come down here but there's no signs of it...
    (not really interested in Virgin Media, but i guess whatever...)

I had 90/20 Mbps before.. now cut to 38/8... not happy !!!

is there any way to canvas any of those companies to get the area on the rollout maps ??

* i never found out for sure if it was SIRO or Virgin media - or maybe BOTH of them...

Definitely identify the cabinet distance and if it doesn't weigh up then check internal wiring. Finding constantly that I can get considerably higher speeds for people just tidying up old wiring and removing extensions to the phone internal wiring.

sadly it is legit.. the advertised speed i can get is 40Mb.. i get 37-38... i'm about 1.3km from the box i think and about 1.4 on the other side.

really there should be another cabinet here in the middle as there's quite a few houses here now that would benefit from it..

chances of that happening though ? :(

* just did the distance calc thing and actually i'm only just 0.9 / 1km away from the cabinet... hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

* just did the distance calc thing and actually i'm only just 0.9 / 1km away from the cabinet... hmm.

Yeah but the cable might go on a bit past your house and loop back. Thats the story with my FTTC connection

details from the modem.

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 10118
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 41079
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 10333
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 47982
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 9.2
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 13.3
    Upstream interleave depth: 0
    Downstream interleave depth: 0
    Line standard: VDSL
    Upstream line attenuation (dB): 43.5
    Downstream line attenuation (dB): 20.4
    Upstream output power (dBmV): 8.3
    Downstream output power (dBmV): 12.1
    Downstream interleave depth: None

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sadly it is legit.. the advertised speed i can get is 40Mb.. i get 37-38... i'm about 1.3km from the box i think and about 1.4 on the other side.

really there should be another cabinet here in the middle as there's quite a few houses here now that would benefit from it..

chances of that happening though ? :(

Cabinets are based on where people needed phone lines in the 70s, not where people are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

You have 38Mb d/l so you would be deemed to be ok for b/b speed...
    In other words stop complaining..and don't be greedy...think of the ones with just .5 Mb d/l etc.:rolleyes:

long story but for many years I was one of those with 0.feckAll.. I'm an IT professional and i work from home. 1Gbps would be a massive help to me for everyday work life...

if no one ever tried to push for more, we'd still be living in caves banging rocks to make fire... It isn't greed - just progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

long story but for many years I was one of those with 0.feckAll.. I'm an IT professional and i work from home. 1Gbps would be a massive help to me for everyday work life...

if no one ever tried to push for more, we'd still be living in caves banging rocks to make fire... It isn't greed - just progress.

Used to work from home on 1.5mb at best which was terrible for phone calls. But got sorted with Eircom thanks to a boardsie, which bumped me to about 17mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Got fibre cables laid out in the ground in front of my house, taunting me... as I can't get fibre at all.

/cries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If I have fttc and I want to upgrade to fifth via Eircom. What's needed in regards to power sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

irishgeo wrote: »
    What's needed in regards to power sockets.

Sockets required for the ONT and router.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

Ok so I just saw the actual map for the rollout around my area. Am I mistaken???
    Is it only the specific residents with a blue marker are getting the services?? Or the houses situated near the blue marker???

Because if it's the former then the house literally 100m from me, which is occupied by a 92 year old lady who doesnt even have a tv... is getting it but I'm not. This better be a joke.. I've been calling every few months for updates about this service since it was announced way back when.

Pegasus177 wrote: »
    Ok so I just saw the actual map for the rollout around my area. Am I mistaken???
    Is it only the specific residents with a blue marker are getting the services?? Or the houses situated near the blue marker???

What does the NBP Map say for your eircode? Unfortunately there are houses along the rural fibre routes that have been bypassed for whatever reason while others such as derelict or abandoned builds have been included. The planning of this would appear to have been a desk exercise rather than seeing what was on the ground.

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I think they should remove the 'rural' term as it's misleading. What they mean really are areas deemed not commercially viable. Lots of these areas are also within towns, not out in the country. Or is everywhere outside a main city deemed rural!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

jgbyr wrote: »
    Or is everywhere outside a main city deemed rural!
    It general terms no, but in terms of broadband, yes.

my sister across town just got SIRO installed, she went for the cheapest option (150Mbps) and she's actually getting about 163 down and 30 something up.

i'm not amused ! she won't even notice the speed.
    *sigh*

• Advertisement

this is handy

eir have put a date stamp on their map now

Data last updated 25/06/17
    Next Update 10/08/17

so now i don't have to check it every day !!

Because if it's the former then the house literally 100m from me, which is occupied by a 92 year old lady who doesnt even have a tv... is getting it but I'm not. This better be a joke.. I've been calling every few months for updates about this service since it was announced way back when.
    So Pegasus fellow namesake, this is an infrastructural rollout as much as anything else, what would happen when down the road, the old lady passes away and the house passes to someone else in the family- best case scenario - worst case it stands empty for years/decades as there was no one else in her family etc. and falls to a government quandary..

In answer to the question, its only the blue dotted houses getting it, the whatever reason as said in previous post, that certain houses get bypassed, could be the distance from the line ie. anything over 50 meters..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

pegasus1 wrote: »
    So Pegasus fellow namesake, this is an infrastructural rollout as much as anything else, what would happen when down the road, the old lady passes away and the house passes to someone else in the family- best case scenario - worst case it stands empty for years/decades as there was no one else in her family etc. and falls to a government quandary..

In answer to the question, its only the blue dotted houses getting it, the whatever reason as said in previous post, that certain houses get bypassed, could be the distance from the line ie. anything over 50 meters..

Well I don't think it's a distance from line issue. I live in a small town well outside the main city on the cork dublin road. The whole town is literally surrounded on all sides by blue house FTTH markers but the town itself is not included. I'm on what could be deemed the very edge of the town and the next house down the road is the first in it's direction with the FTTH planned marker. The cabinet for the area is about 7 times the distance in the opposite direction.
    What is annoying me here is that I live in what is considered a rural town, when the news dropped that this service was coming to rural areas first i watched it with keen interest.
    Now I discover the town is being skipped over while every single house outside the town for about 5 miles in a 360 degree direction is getting this service except the town. It doesn't look to be a issue of distance to line as.. like I said we are literally surrounded on all fronts with FTTH properties. It just looks like we were deliberately excluded.
    It's got me triggered.

Well I don't think it's a distance from line issue. I live in a small town well outside the main city on the cork dublin road. The whole town is literally surrounded on all sides by blue house FTTH markers but the town itself is not included. I'm on what could be deemed the very edge of the town and the next house down the road is the first in it's direction with the FTTH planned marker. The cabinet for the area is about 7 times the distance in the opposite direction.
    What is annoying me here is that I live in what is considered a rural town, when the news dropped that this service was coming to rural areas first i watched it with keen interest.
    Now I discover the town is being skipped over while every single house outside the town for about 5 miles in a 360 degree direction is getting this service except the town. It doesn't look to be a issue of distance to line as.. like I said we are literally surrounded on all fronts with FTTH properties. It just looks like we were deliberately excluded.
    It's got me triggered.

The town is clearly planned for VDSL. FTTH will cover further out but its cheaper for them to provide VDSL up to 1.5km from the centre.

You'd do well to house swap with the pensioner.

or just run an ethernet cable from her house to yours...

or just run an ethernet cable from her house to yours...

Some of the sparkys will eat your head off for suggesting that, has safety implications.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    Some of the sparkys will eat your head off for suggesting that, has safety implications.

Marginal distance for Ethernet anyway. Better to run fibre, which also avoids any potential ground loop problems.

put it inside a hydrodare pipe. it'll be grand.

put it inside a hydrodare pipe. it'll be grand.

That would only work if you didnt connect it to anything.

ED E wrote: »
    only some? :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

https://i.imgur.com/5jH8LE8.jpg

Anyone know if this is eirs odt perhaps? There's two outside some blocks down the way from me.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    https://i.imgur.com/5jH8LE8.jpg

Anyone know if this is eirs odt perhaps? There's two outside some blocks down the way from me.

Looks like one SIRO uses - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104350099&postcount=3885

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

The Cush wrote: »

Ah knew I saw it on boards before.
    Weird since they already have a different kind up all accross our apartment blocks. Must've been high demand?

Advertisement