Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy spay dilemma

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My brother didn't neuter his Japanese Spitz until the dog was about three years old. Marked decrease in his ability to cope with other dogs after that. Consequently, boy did I feel bad for nagging my brother to get it done, but it's still in the dog's best interest, even from a theft point of view.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

boomerang wrote: »
    My brother didn't neuter his Japanese Spitz until the dog was about three years old. Marked decrease in his ability to cope with other dogs after that. Consequently, boy did I feel bad for nagging my brother to get it done, but it's still in the dog's best interest, even from a theft point of view.

As a matter of interest Boomerang, and I know you'll put a cold, steel, objective eye to this, but what was his dog like with other dogs beforehand?
    I'm just wondering if he was a little leery of them, coping but uncomfortable? Or are we talking a sea-change from bubbly and playful, to what you describe above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

He was never a social butterfly or very playful with other dogs, but he would manoeuvre around other dogs he met without us noticing any discomfort. He'd just ignore them and keep doing his own thing, which was usually casing the area with his nose to find more and more spots to wee on. :D (He's always been VERY driven to cock his leg and kick up the grass.) I had no problem turning him out into the agility ring at Alison's for example, when we were on a break from classes.

Since neutering, when he sees/meets a new dog he is barky and his body language is a bit fearful. It definitely seems to tie in with castration because my brother picked up on it in the weeks after the op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I have a fear aggressive shep and I wish he hadn't been neutered just before I adopted him. I understand why the rescue did (and generally agree with their reasons) but looking back I think I'd have a very different dog had he not been snipped at that point in his life.

I left our youngest til her 2nd birthday before I had her snipped and I'm glad she was older. She sailed through the op and recovery was definitely easier for me with commands like relax and leave it already muscle memory for her. I'd considered not getting her done at all as we have a fort knox type setup these days but her seasons were an inconvenience to her more than me (restricted exercise being the biggest) and I had no plans to ever breed from her so in she went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

I have a very fearful male dog who isn't neutered. I'm unsure about getting him done because he is so fearful already.. but then I also wonder might it take the "edge" off him in those situations and he might get a bit calmer? I don't know... I'm torn.

I don't think being spayed made any difference to my female whatsoever but she was 2+ by then. I think she has calmed a bit over time but that's just age.

• Advertisement

Tea Tree wrote: »
    I have a very fearful male dog who isn't neutered. I'm unsure about getting him done because he is so fearful already.. but then I also wonder might it take the "edge" off him in those situations and he might get a bit calmer? I don't know... I'm torn.

I don't think being spayed made any difference to my female whatsoever but she was 2+ by then. I think she has calmed a bit over time but that's just age.

Spyaing shouldn't make much of a difference to the vast majority of females, it's only those who had a bit of an inkling of the unwanted behaviour prior to spaying that there's a potential problem with ;)

As for your male, it is a tough call. Whilst neutering a nervy, shy male can deprive him of confidence-boosting testosterone, the last thing you want to do with a nervy, shy dog is give them any opportunity to breed, as fearfulness is the most genetically heritable behavioural trait (I'm not for a second suggesting that you'd let your dog breed Tea Tree, this is just a general observation!)
    With your male, what you *could* do is try chemical castration first, just to see what happens, although it is possible that whilst dogs can improve when chemically castrated, the same effect isn't as dramatic when the dog is properly castrated... go figure!
    Whilst castration *shouldn't* hugely improve the edgy part of his behaviour, you just never know. Some people find that their dogs become very chilled towards things that castration should have no effect on!

boomerang wrote: »
    He was never a social butterfly or very playful with other dogs, but he would manoeuvre around other dogs he met without us noticing any discomfort. He'd just ignore them and keep doing his own thing
    Since neutering, when he sees/meets a new dog he is barky and his body language is a bit fearful. It definitely seems to tie in with castration because my brother picked up on it in the weeks after the op.

That is interesting, you'd have to think that testosterone was buoying him up in terms of confidence... he was walking a thin line but fell below it after castration? I know we can't draw solid conclusions from one dog, but still... interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

My vets are keen to do a full spay any time soon since my dog is 6 months old. I'm wondering about finding a vet who will just remove her uterus (partial spay). Have any of you requested this for your dog or explored the pros and cons of such a scenario?

Dubl07 wrote: »
    My vets are keen to do a full spay any time soon since my dog is 6 months old. I'm wondering about finding a vet who will just remove her uterus (partial spay). Have any of you requested this for your dog or explored the pros and cons of such a scenario?

Why? I'm not getting on your case, just interested! :)
    The cons of spaying a bitch are considerably less than the pros, particularly if you let her mature physically (although waiting and allowing her to have heats has its own risks too.. you can't win, can you?!)
    If you leave the ovaries in, obviously you'll still get her coming into heat, bleeding, unwanted male attention, potential mating, and potential false pregnancies. No actual pregnancy obviously, but for me at least, leaving the ovaries in negates a huge amount of the positives of spaying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

DBB wrote: »
    Why? I'm not getting on your case, just interested! :)
    The cons of spaying a bitch are considerably less than the pros, particularly if you let her mature physically (although waiting and allowing her to have heats has its own risks too.. you can't win, can you?!)
    If you leave the ovaries in, obviously you'll still get her coming into heat, bleeding, unwanted male attention, potential mating, and potential false pregnancies. No actual pregnancy obviously, but for me at least, leaving the ovaries in negates a huge amount of the positives of spaying!

If they remove the uterus (& I think they usually take the cervix too), there's minimal discharge in season from what I can find out. Pyometra and other uterine problems wouldn't be an issue and nor would pregnancy. False pregnancy - would that be possible if her uterus was gone? The only issue might be general 'heat' lovieness and attraction to males.

The whole shebang approach seems somewhat old-fashioned and has been entirely discontinued in some countries. Some vets advocate removal of only the ovaries, others removal of only the uterus and other again removal of uterus, cervix, horns of the uterus (fallopian tubes?) and the left ovary. I suppose it's like having too long a menu; too much choice leads to debate and confusion at the veterinarians as well as too many procedures to teach in vet college. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

If they remove the uterus (& I think they usually take the cervix too), there's minimal discharge in season from what I can find out. Pyometra and other uterine problems wouldn't be an issue and nor would pregnancy. False pregnancy - would that be possible if her uterus was gone? The only issue might be general 'heat' lovieness and attraction to males.

The whole shebang approach seems somewhat old-fashioned and has been entirely discontinued in some countries. Some vets advocate removal of only the ovaries, others removal of only the uterus and other again removal of uterus, cervix, horns of the uterus (fallopian tubes?) and the left ovary. I suppose it's like having too long a menu; too much choice leads to debate and confusion at the veterinarians as well as too many procedures to teach in vet college. :confused:

I asked my vet about this recently and he said that in general some vets find it hard to get right down to the cervis to remove the uterus, sometime they leave behind a bit which with the ovaries still intact can cause stump pyometra. And that mammary gland tumors are still a big issue when leaving behind the ovaries too.

It's a tough one decided what is best alright!!

fiounnalbe wrote: »
    I asked my vet about this recently and he said that in general some vets find it hard to get right down to the cervis to remove the uterus, sometime they leave behind a bit which with the ovaries still intact can cause stump pyometra. And that mammary gland tumors are still a big issue when leaving behind the ovaries too.

It's a tough one decided what is best alright!!

Yes, stump pyometra is quite a risk alright, and I have heard of quite a few spayed bitches who still show all the signs of heat, bloody discharge and all, the suspicion being that a bit of ovary was left behind.
    @ Dubl07, I'm afraid as long as there are ovaries, there's a risk of phantom pregnancy :o
    But yeah, hard to know what the right thing to do is, pros and cons on all sides! Either way, I think it's hard to argue with an informed and responsible decision that doesn't go out of its way to have serious implications for the dog's health :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was going to go for keyhole spay (only the ovaries removed) for Lucy and had it booked at a different vets...but then we had a scare with Bailey and it made me realise how much I value my own vet's opinion on the fact that their on our doorstep - we went there instead and she had the traditional spay since it's all they offer.

As for your male, it is a tough call. Whilst neutering a nervy, shy male can deprive him of confidence-boosting testosterone, the last thing you want to do with a nervy, shy dog is give them any opportunity to breed, as fearfulness is the most genetically heritable behavioural trait (I'm not for a second suggesting that you'd let your dog breed Tea Tree, this is just a general observation!)
    With your male, what you *could* do is try chemical castration first, just to see what happens, although it is possible that whilst dogs can improve when chemically castrated, the same effect isn't as dramatic when the dog is properly castrated... go figure!
    Whilst castration *shouldn't* hugely improve the edgy part of his behaviour, you just never know. Some people find that their dogs become very chilled towards things that castration should have no effect on!

Only seeing this now DBB. Part of my reluctance is just his abject fear of going near anyone other than his family (the 4 of us). So bringing him to the vet is a real ordeal so I've been putting it off. He needs his glands done though (ew) so he has to go and I'll ask about neutering while I'm there. I do get your point about not letting him breed. He only gets off lead in the woods when there's no one around and has solid recall but I suppose I don't want to test that in the presence of a bitch in heat! I want to wait til next spring to do it though.

Hmmm...
    I wonder if it'd help to try the range of anxiety-reducing products?
    Would he allow you to put a body wrap on him?
    And would you think about trying on of the non-prescription nutraceutical products, like Zylkene or Calmex? Both products contain proteins that are known to reduce anxiety levels, and I think well worth trying with a dog like yours who is soscared. Poor lad.
    And of course, there's Adaptil too, as a collar, spray or diffuser.
    Maybe you've tried these already? But if not, I'd certainly be trying them before going for castration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

I have been heavily involved with animals all my life both those kept for breeding and many many pets.

I would always wait to spay until after the animal is 1 year old or after the first heat. It is known to be important to prevent health and behavioural issues. Think about a human whose development is halted pre puberty, it means a permanent juvenile/immature attitude in a dog or cat.

They won't take the dog back unless they have evidence that you are mistreating the dog. You should say in good time that you can't make the appointment and that you will reorganise the spaying with the vet that threats the dog. But then do spay, there is no advantage in having puppies that you need to re home, even if you get a few bob, because you don't know the kind of person they will go to. And don't underestimate how quickly and opportunistically the act of procreation can happen in dogs.

Murray007 wrote: »
    But then do spay, there is no advantage in having puppies that you need to re home, even if you get a few bob, because you don't know the kind of person they will go to. And don't underestimate how quickly and opportunistically the act of procreation can happen in dogs.

:o
    Lordy Murray007, I think you're preaching to the converted here!

Hmmm...
    I wonder if it'd help to try the range of anxiety-reducing products?
    Would he allow you to put a body wrap on him?
    And would you think about trying on of the non-prescription nutraceutical products, like Zylkene or Calmex? Both products contain proteins that are known to reduce anxiety levels, and I think well worth trying with a dog like yours who is soscared. Poor lad.
    And of course, there's Adaptil too, as a collar, spray or diffuser.
    Maybe you've tried these already? But if not, I'd certainly be trying them before going for castration :)

poor lad indeed :( he's such a lovely sweet little mouse too:o He's also a wonderful sight to behold running free in the woods when there are no scary people around. This is the dog I've written about before who also fly bites and paw licks. Have only tried Kalm Aid but am open to anything that might help him. Finances are an issue just now but should improve in the new year so a lot ofstuff is being put on hold but since I do have to take him to the vet anyway I'll ask about zylkene etc.

And so sorry OP for the thread hijack :o

Kalm Aid is herbal, whereas Zylkene and Calmex are protein-based... There's stronge evidence that the proteins can be almost as effective at reducing anxiety as anti-anxiety drugs are, but without the side effects! Whilst herbal stuff might help a bit, it hasn't anywhere near the potential punch as the proteins.
    If I were going for one over the other, as in Zylkene vs Calmex, I think I'd opt for the latter, as there's more evidence in support of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

:o
    Lordy Murray007, I think you're preaching to the converted here!

It is easy to put these things on the long finger, I am doing it myself at the moment with a rescue cat we discovered half dead in forestry near us. I loath to put her though the op just as she has started to look really healthy and has started to trust people.

I am sorry you feel it's preaching!

• Advertisement

Murray007 wrote: »
    It is easy to put these things on the long finger, I am doing it myself at the moment with a rescue cat we discovered half dead in forestry near us. I loath to put her though the op just as she has started to look really healthy and has started to trust people.

I am sorry you feel it's preaching!

No no, I'm not saying you're preaching :)
    Sorry for the confusion!
    Preaching to the converted is just an expression I used to gently let you know that ferretone is also a very experienced rescuer and fosterer, and knows the score 100% with what happens when you don't spay your dog/cat/ferret and let them have free access to boys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Tea Tree wrote: »

And so sorry OP for the thread hijack :o

No issue here with thread hijack :) I'm actually pleased that such a good and comprehensive discussion of the issue branched from it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

German vets seem to be keen on only removing the ovaries, I remember one explaining that it's less traumatic and despite leaving the uterus in, there is no risk of pyometra because your removing the hormones driving it. I'v never actually heard of removing only the uterus as your describing, that's not to say it doesn't exist just the traditional all-out or ovaries-out are what I'v come across and I'v noticed an irish/german vet divide.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    German vets seem to be keen on only removing the ovaries, I remember one explaining that it's less traumatic and despite leaving the uterus in, there is no risk of pyometra because your removing the hormones driving it. I'v never actually heard of removing only the uterus as your describing, that's not to say it doesn't exist just the traditional all-out or ovaries-out are what I'v come across and I'v noticed an irish/german vet divide.

That's very interesting. My mother-in-law (also German) had a German vet for years, who did not believe in surgery for sterilisation of bitches at all, and who had her using the jab on several successive bitches. On the last one it was for over 10 years, and this bitch ended up having to have a very drastic mastectomy, as cancer had invaded all of the mammaries, save the very top 2 :(

Edited to add: this was a German vet who was working here in Ireland.

There's a handful of vets who just remove the ovaries with keyhole surgery. One is Paul Kelly in Ratoath and there's another in Cork - Toby Vet I think? We were going with PK until Bailey had some issues and I decided I wanted it done 5 mins away in case of problems..( tbh having spoken to them a couple of times I just trusted our local practice more and it made the decision a lot easier!)

Woohoo! Twelve days now before the deadline given me by the rescue to spay Nyssa, her (neutered) male pals have recently been showing a suddenly increased interest in smelling her behind, and as of today I can see her vulva is definitely beginning to swell! Looks like she is giving us legitimately, what I was fearing we would have to have by stretching the truth.

So relieved to see this. Now we can wait a couple of months, and not have to do it before first heat, as it appears to be now upon us. Needless to say, she is constantly supervised (that was the case anyway), and her off-lead runs stop, effective immediately.

Is it weird for someone who never wants to breed to be so happy to see their bitch come in heat? Call me weird so, but this is a great outcome for us :o

ferretone wrote: »

Is it weird for someone who never wants to breed to be so happy to see their bitch come in heat? Call me weird so, but this is a great outcome for us :o

I was the same with Lucy - waiting for it to happen so I could have a holiday lol - she waitied until she was 13 months!

Advertisement