Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clontarf half 29th November

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

corny wrote: »
    I had 5.38 miles on the watch. I think they placed the turn around marker in the wrong place. If so, bad form.

Really ****ing annoyed about this myself. I measured 5.3. Don't know why they had to move the start line. I entered a 5 MILE RACE :mad::mad::mad::mad: not a 5.3 mile race.
    If I get the time I finished at as my official 5 MILE time I will be even more annoyed than I am now. :mad:

Everything else was perfect but if you can't get the distance right then what's the bloody point?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ososlo wrote: »
    Really ****ing annoyed about this myself. I measured 5.3. Don't know why they had to move the start line. I entered a 5 MILE RACE :mad::mad::mad::mad: not a 5.3 mile race.
    If I get the time I finished at as my official 5 MILE time I will be even more annoyed than I am now. :mad:

Everything else was perfect but if you can't get the distance right then what's the bloody point?????

Makes it worse having been bombarded with the various diktats issued during the week.:(

I saw a sign just over the wooden bridge saying 5 mile turnaround, HM straight on but with the marshal stood there impassive everyone continued on to the cone and to another impassive marshal. I followed like a sheep but i suspect thats where the mistake was.

Wasn't a target race or anything for me but i won't be back next year.

corny wrote: »
    Makes it worse having been bombarded with the various diktats issued during the week.:(

I saw a sign just over the wooden bridge saying 5 mile turnaround, HM straight on but with the marshal stood there impassive everyone continued on to the cone and to another impassive marshal. I followed like a sheep but i suspect thats where the mistake was.

Wasn't a target race or anything for me but i won't be back next year.
    wasn't a target race for me either but I still like to get what it says on the tin - ie when I enter a 5 MILE race that's what I expect.
    I heard from someone after it that it was officially turned into an 8.5k race this morning before we started. Anyone else hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Really enjoyed the half race today, the sand was tough going - I nearly collapsed as we came off it on the way back! The 2 hour pacers were absolutely brilliant - and kept me going to the very end. Everything else was spot on - water stops, bananas/soup at the end, etc. Would defo do it again - but not today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

I did the half but agree that the turn for the five could easily have been missed.
    Very bad form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Great half marathon again, perfect running conditions and well organised. Felt like Rocky coming up the steps off the beach on the way back. Nice seeing you Menoscemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Lovely day for the races today. Seems it's not just the long 5mile that was the only problem. I did the half and it was a farce trying to overtake runners after the wooden bridge on the way home. Some of them were wearing headphones and couldn't here shouts etc for faster runners coming by.
    Lead bike is a bit of a cop out too. It allowed only ONE runner a passage to the finish while the rest had to struggle through the crowding.
    This is a pity as it could be a great race but there was a real anti climax for anybody finishing the half in a decent time with nobody knowing who's in which race and no fanfare etc at the finish.

To me it reeks of money with the attitude to get as as many entries as possible. There needs more thought on how to incorporate the two races. As for the Marshall's like other posters said there was a huge lack of awareness from them at the important turns etc.
    I'm the first person to thank people and compliment about a good well thought out race. This was not one of them I'm afraid. Well done to everybody who ran it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Wow. Disappointed for all the 5 milers if they managed to mess that up on you, really is unacceptable. As for the lead racers that sounds crazy. Where I was in the pack we didn't have that problem at all - just walkers to pass and the majority seemed aware of those coming up behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

My Garmin said 1:41 but clock said 1:46.....the 1:45 pacer came in about 30 secs behind me so haven't a clue about my my actual time. Any idea when results are up??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Did the half, lovely route and no issue with organisation to be honest. However, the behaviour and attitude of some other runners is a joke. Firstly, people heading off in the 1.30 or 1.40 group with no hope of doing that time and running in groups the width of the footpath. There is a reason why people were to be sent of in waves!

Also, anyone who simply dropped their half full water bottle on the path should cop on. The amount of bottles on the footpath near the turnaround was a joke. There were plenty of drop-off points. Hope no one stepped on one.

Hope the guy that was in trouble around 13km is ok. Well done to guys that helped him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

My Garmin said 1:41 but clock said 1:46.....the 1:45 pacer came in about 30 secs behind me so haven't a clue about my my actual time. Any idea when results are up??

Which wave did you start in? The 1:45 pacers came in at 1:44:25 and 1:44:50 but we started in wave 2 so the clock showed 2 minutes extra. Sounds like you started in wave 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

Lovely day for the races today. Seems it's not just the long 5mile that was the only problem. I did the half and it was a farce trying to overtake runners after the wooden bridge on the way home. Some of them were wearing headphones and couldn't here shouts etc for faster runners coming by.
    Lead bike is a bit of a cop out too. It allowed only ONE runner a passage to the finish while the rest had to struggle through the crowding.
    This is a pity as it could be a great race but there was a real anti climax for anybody finishing the half in a decent time with nobody knowing who's in which race and no fanfare etc at the finish.

To me it reeks of money with the attitude to get as as many entries as possible. There needs more thought on how to incorporate the two races. As for the Marshall's like other posters said there was a huge lack of awareness from them at the important turns etc.
    I'm the first person to thank people and compliment about a good well thought out race. This was not one of them I'm afraid. Well done to everybody who ran it today.

I couldn't agree more with Rodney Trotter. I got a substantial half marathon PB today which I'm pleased about but somehow I was left feeling a bit deflated from the atmosphere of today's race. The course is my favourite - it's where I train; it's local - but having to perform sidesteps of all varieties, having to slam on the brakes & then rev up again to avoid colliding with oblivious 5-mile runners over the last 1.5 miles was unacceptable; it's also an injury risk. Those type of weaving manoeuvres aren't what closing out a half marathon should be about. This didn't have the vibe of a purist's running event. Everyone realises & accepts that race organisers have to cover costs & make a profit (& we admire their entrepreneurial spirit & energy) but there has to be an appreciation that running is the most special of 'products' in the commercial sense. So it was disappointing that today margins appeared to be overly dominant; that said, thanks to all the marshals & organisers etc. for their efforts. However, in my opinion, a classic running event has a far different character about it - horses for courses I suppose.

Did the half, lovely route and no issue with organisation to be honest. However, the behaviour and attitude of some other runners is a joke. Firstly, people heading off in the 1.30 or 1.40 group with no hope of doing that time and running in groups the width of the footpath. There is a reason why people were to be sent of in waves!

Yes indeed as one of the 1:45 pacers starting in wave 2, the amount of walkers and very slow joggers starting in wave 1 was astonishing. They were generally in groups of 4-5 people and blocking us on very narrow paths. We were passing them regularly from within half a mile even though they had a 2 minute head start on us.
    One particular club were the biggest culprits and for once their singlets were not red but yellow and blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcunniffe

Results are posted on http://www.redtagtiming.com

All timing queries to: info@redtagtiming.com

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I was delighted with the race myself. Did the half, started in the third wave and finished without any issues.

It's a pity to hear that so many people were unhappy, especially with the distance on the 5 miler.

I was delighted with the race myself. Did the half, started in the third wave and finished without any issues.

It's a pity to hear that so many people were unhappy, especially with the distance on the 5 miler.

Definitely won't be doing it again which is a big pity as everything else was perfect about it. But as I said already, no matter how great the toilets, marshals, bananas, soup, parking, water etc are, it all means nothing if the distance is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Ososlo wrote: »
    Definitely won't be doing it again which is a big pity as everything else was perfect about it. But as I said already, no matter how great the toilets, marshals, bananas, soup, parking, water etc are, it all means nothing if the distance is incorrect.

Yeah, I hear you. I would've been pissed. Any word on it from the officials?

Yeah, I hear you. I would've been pissed. Any word on it from the officials?

Eoin Ryan (organiser) has been very active on this thread before the event so I'm waiting to see what he comes back with on the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Pity about the 5 miler. The half was very well run as usual. Maybe a 5k option would be easier to organise if they insist on having two events

My big bug bear is the folk who start off in the wrong waves. It definitely costs 10/15 seconds for everyone else to get around them all. the sad thing is they don't even realise what they are doing is wrong, as they are completely oblivious to what's going on around the, and you know if you said anything you would be the 'bad guy'.

Anyway, a PB by 2 minutes 40 seconds so I'm certainly happy and will be doing again.

DD Mikasa wrote: »

My big bug bear is the folk who start off in the wrong waves. It definitely costs 10/15 seconds for everyone else to get around them all. the sad thing is they don't even realise what they are doing is wrong, as they are completely oblivious to what's going on around the, and you know if you said anything you would be the 'bad guy'.

Yes indeed, my fellow 1:45 pacer politely asked one of the groups to stand in if they were walking, I came behind about 2 seconds later and what I heard them saying about her I couldn't repeat here :o. I was less polite with a few of the other groups I passed and I'd hate to hear what they said about me ;)

The only thing I'd say in their defence is that the start area is too narrow and short. Ideally the starting pens/waves would be more clearly indicated like in the race series because the course is very narrow until you get to the beach unless you want to run on the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Did the 5 mile myself, and it's very disappointing to discover it was so far out on the distance. The stewarding wasn't great, they didn't seem interested in the job they were doing. When the lead 5 mile man was coming back, he nearly ran into a lady out walking. Would also say a second lead bike was needed, the winning man was so far ahead, that the 2nd man was running on his own.
    Not sure having two races into one works imo

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bilko_con

I was out as a spectator on the course. I do a bit of running myself and to be honest it looked to be a bit of a farce. It was grand in the thick of the pack of runners. But for the 5mile leaders (or5.3 maybe) they spent their time running around dogs, footballs, buggies, children and people out for a stroll. The leaders of the half marathon spent their time from the wooden bridge back, weaving in and out of the five milers, sidestepping and dodging around runners with earphones!

I'm not blaming any of the regular walkers or the five milers that ran. I just think firstly, it's too much to run the two races - sounds like its just money making. It's on twice a year - why not do just the half now and a 5 mile in July! Also there was hardly a sign along promenade to let the regulars walkers/locals know there was a race on so you can't really blame them for walking in the runners way. There was a barrier at the wooden bridge and that's about it. Not a sign on a lamppost/traffic cone nothing. It was only about 100meters from the finish that you would have realised that there was something on.

I know it's an awful lot of organising but maybe a little more thought needs to go into the finer details on race day. That's my 2cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

It was my first time doing the half here and although I enjoyed it , there were good points lets not forget, I would have to say it was one of the most dangerous races I've run. Holding two races on a promenade is actually lethal with the amount of people out walking with prams dogs and kids etc. I bumped into numerous people and that's even with loud shouts etc.
    What if some kid or runner had fallen and banged their head or got badly hurt.

One race next time is the way to go with more signage and more stewards or don't hold it atall.
    Where is the money going from this race by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I started at the front of the third wave with the 1h50s and it was exactly the same. The first slow-coaches were overtaken within the first km.

I could actually see it happening at the start of the first two waves, as I was waiting near the start-line for wave 3. The runners that were supposed to be in those first waves were at the start. But as the wave left, many other folks seemed to lose their nerve and went after them. Even well after the start of the wave, some folks suddenly went for it. Most at a very sedate pace. My buddy remarked that even at the start, you could see that we would see many of those runners soon after.

For some inexperienced folks, it would be excusable. However, there were many club-singlets among the culprits, 2-3 abreast, and a general nuisance.

Oh well. Other than that, I had a great day, and a shiny new PB. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yup 5 mile came up as 5.36 miles for me. We did ask the steward should we turn where the sign said turn and he said no down to the cone. It was hard on the return as a 5 miler to keep to the left for the half marathon runners. There was a lot of pedestrians, dog walks, kids on scooters etc on the promenade. I did assume from the announcement at the start that we were to "keep off the path as it wasn't closed to the public yet", that it would be closed to the public?
    It was very hard to run, dodge the pedestrians and keep an eye behind so you were left enough for the others.
    Also the "path" from east point was awful, no one mention the 2 quite tight gaps we have to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

A conversation between two girls at the front sums up the attitude of some.

Girl 1: Shouldn't we be back further in the pack?

Girl 2: Yeah but i'm too lazy to move. Ha, ha, ha.

I did well to contain myself.:D

Happens at nearly every race unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Good race for me and while not a pb, I was delighted with my time 1.39 given that I have only been doing 1 proper run a week for the past month.

Like others I have some gripes also. I too nearly ran over a few members of the public, I think the race has got too big. Also no safety pins with my number which was annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I got a decent time today. It was a PB of 1:44 for me. The route was nice and flat, beach part was grand too.

The start line was messy as fcuk. Just people all over the place with no clear structure. Pacers with the balloons were all congregated together up until the start which confused a lot of people. The microphone was mostly patchy at best so announcements were largely missed by me.

I'm not a serious runner but even I was annoyed at the lack of race etiquette along the route. Groups of overdressed, oblivious, runners hogging up the paths. Fair enough, everyone has their own pace, ability and not all were out for a PB. I understand that people wanted to run with friends etc but space was limited and it ended up causing problems for faster people weaving in and out and dodging the promenade gym stations, benches and walkers.

I'm surprised so many of the offenders had club tops though. Discarded water bottles were a problem. Some gormless marshals seemed to have no interest in providing encouragement or info. Some were fantastic though.

The paths were brutal at both ends. Too many people with not enough room. It didn't really feel like a safe of comfortable course, which is a shame.

The finish line was narrow enough but had plenty of support. The medal really reflected the cost of it. Far more emphasis on the sponsor than what the race was.

Iv travelled all over the country doing races of all sorts this year. I live 12 miles away from Clontarf but will not be back for this again. It has been my most unenjoyable to date and that is truely a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

In the organiser defence, he makes his living in putting on races, so any profit is his salary. I would hazard a guess that he does not be clearing huge money when you factor in all the bits and pieces that go into putting on theses races. And usually if there is some issues, he will address them , without fail. I have always found him to be a very decent honest guy who does care about the sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Folks. Thanks for taking part in Clontarf today. It has been brought to our attention that the 5 mile course was long. I was disgusted to hear this and do apologise. It was a marshalling error. We had to tweak the course due to the flooding to make up a lost 150 metres. This was done at the start. Very clear instructions were given about the location of the turn. And a sign was in situ to show the location of the turn as a back up - to elminate any confusion or error. As race organiser (Eoin) I'm am responsible and am very frustrated.
    At the same token races can't happen without people volunteering to help support their clubs. And if nobody volunteers there will be no races for anyone... It is a downer - no question. Every cog in the wheel has to work - it didn't. We'll learn from it.
    Thanks to the people who were understanding about it

Advertisement