Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clontarf half 29th November

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

estariol wrote: »
    Especially annoyed with the poor conduct of some club runners. I really feel there is a need to name and shame! Monaghan town runners (yellow singlet) please include some etiquette in your training programme. Your selfish and inconsiderate behaviour bothered me a lot of people I spoke to the in the finish area.

Care to elaborate rather than just throwing a grenade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

999nobody wrote: »
    Care to elaborate rather than just throwing a grenade?

They all went off in wave 1 no matter what their level or pace and ran together in groups of 3/4/5 side to side blocking the paths.
    I was a pacer for the 1:45 group and we went off in wave 2, two minutes behind wave 1 and we were blocked off by several groups of Monaghan Runners on narrow paths over the first 3/4 km. It was a scramble to get past them as they were spread all over the paths and we were dragging a group of 30-40 runners behind us so it was actually dangerous. The same thing happened the 1;40 (wave 2) the 1:50 and 2hr (wave 3) pace groups as well as all the runners correctly positioned in waves 2 and 3 not running in a pace group.

I agree with estariol that someone should tell Monaghan runners in future to start in the correct wave for their abilities (wave 1 was sub 1;40, wave 2 sub 1:50 hrs and wave 3 was 1:50+) and not to run side by side in big groups otherwise the club might get a bad reputation for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Hi menoscemo, think I chatted to you for a minute or two on way back coming back over the wooden bridge. Yeah the Monaghan crowd definitely did this at the start, and I remember seeing them when we were on the way back and they were still at it, i.e., blocking the whole path, oblivious to everything else around them. I dont think they meant any harm in fairness and I'm sure if they read this thread they will adjust their behaviour accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Hi menoscemo, think I chatted to you for a minute or two on way back coming back over the wooden bridge. Yeah the Monaghan crowd definitely did this at the start, and I remember seeing them when we were on the way back and they were still at it, i.e., blocking the whole path, oblivious to everything else around them. I dont think they meant any harm in fairness and I'm sure if they read this thread they will adjust their behaviour accordingly.

Agreed, from what i can see it was a big day out for the club in Clontarf, but I do think it's up to senior club members to explain race etiquette the newer runners. Hopefully that happens in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

To be fair most people don't mean any harm in these situations but that makes it no less annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Thanks for feedback good and bad.
    There is always room for improvement and to also keep doing what we do well
    It is painful when a mistake is made and that becomes the lingering memory. Personally - I hate to read about it in any race. Races take a lot of pre planning. It is my belief and maybe I'm stupid, but no-one sets out to fail

tracking back on a few comments (I'm not good with that multiple quote thing). I don't spend as much time here as I used to. Back when i started race organising in 2008 due to being made redundant - I was a bit of a worm for free PR for my races. I don't mind stating the obvious. Another thing that is obvious is that race organising (along with a few other jobs are my job). I imagine most people here also have jobs and do it for a salary. My job involves being judged by everyone who enters the races and on occasion those who don't. I answer to a lot of bosses and that is one part of my role

few other things to clarify seeing ti was asked
    The course was accurately measured from the altered starting line to the sign for the turn cone.
    We had a lead bike who was briefed. But when he got to the position of the turn sign he was told to keep going
    We'll learn from it. Look forward not behind

Advertisement