Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house, but may lose job!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Not saying they would or wouldnt but would you expect a bank you were borrowing from to ignore it if it happened. I would expect them to ask for revised written conformation of employment status.

Which you would get from HR if you were still employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

f3232 wrote: »
    You would have to do nothing if you did not want to.

In my view that would be a quite irresponsible approach to take ie. knowingly drawing down the mortgage when the terms and conditions under which the mortgage was approved ( based on certified factual financial/ income & employment status) had adversely changed.
    Hopefully the OP isn't facing redundancy and irrespective of whether one salary could support the repayments, in the event of the redundancy happening before sign off on the contract, I would be advising the lender of the changed financial position and hoping to renegotiate terms for the mortgage.

In my view that would be a quite irresponsible approach to take ie. knowingly drawing down the mortgage when the terms and conditions under which the mortgage was approved ( based on certified factual financial/ income & employment status) had adversely changed.

In your view that all fine. However the OP believes she can afford the mortgage on one salary, the morality of what she is doing is completely up to her as I see it.
    I would be advising the lender of the changed financial position and hoping to renegotiate terms for the mortgage.

And you know full well the OP would not have a hope in hell of renegotiating terms if advising the lender of these potential changes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

In your view that all fine. However the OP believes she can afford the mortgage on one salary, the morality of what she is doing is completely up to her as I see it.

And you know full well the OP would not have a hope in hell of renegotiating terms if advising the lender of these potential changes.
    She wouldn't have a hope in hell because her risk profile has completely changed. Her saying she can afford the payments is irrelevant. Go to the bank and see if they agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Beaner1 wrote: »
    She wouldn't have a hope in hell because her risk profile has completely changed. Her saying she can afford the payments is irrelevant. Go to the bank and see if they agree.

You're right. The risk profile will change IF the OP has been made redundant. We don't know that. She hasn't been back to clarify, so I'd assume all is well.

• Advertisement

Beaner1 wrote: »

Ultimately its up to her to make that assessment on her risk, she claims her husband wages is enough to afford the mortgage- any other speculation by other posters looks like is moralizing speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Ultimately its up to her to make that assessment on her risk, she claims her husband wages is enough to afford the mortgage- any other speculation by other posters looks like is moralizing speculation.

If you feel that cautioning against knowingly entering a mortgage agreement where the terms and conditions (on which the mortgage approval is granted ) have adversely changed is " moralising" , that's your view, a view I wouldn't agree with. Genuinely hope it works out for the OP, no malice intended !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If it was ultimately up to her then why would she need to get approval at all for a mortgage, she'd just tell the bank she should get one :rolleyes:

Advertisement