Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge cut - no permission

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont think taking 2/3rd off the height is pruning under any definition.

Pruning would be 1/3 off, coppicing is the method of butting or close to butting, hedgerows to encourage young fresh growth.

OP - An approach would be to ask the farmer was there a particular reason he cut the hedge so tight / low etc and then from there handle I would have preferred to know or been involved.

You've asked his opinion and doffing the hat to his knowledge gained a non-aggressive approach that may get the point accross without falling out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Hawthorn if left alone grows into a tree and makes a hopeless hedge, one way to avoid that is to half cut branches and place them laterally. Used to be commonplace practice to ''lay'' a hedge but it has probably all but disappeared with the advent of mechanical hedge cutters. The laterals will continue to grow and the wounds will heal giving you an impenetrable barrier. Google it, there is actually a hedge laying association here in Ireland. I'm sure their version is very posh but anyone can do it in a less sophisticated way and it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Did not know the correct term (lay a hedge) but it is something my Dad has taught me when planting a hedge. I planted a white thorn hedge about 4 years ago and it was a nasty job to do last year. Worked very well though. This method can also be used to "spread" a white thorn tree. Cut a branch (not all the way through) and leave it fall on the ditch, it will shoot new branches which can fill a gap in the Dutch.

Mattie,
    you should join the tree laying club, sounds like you are half way there already

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Ha ha, tree laying club would probably need references from 10 existing members before admission.... anyway.... I am much more of a beech hedge person myself... Spectacular this time of year.

• Advertisement

How right you are, beech hedges are magic at this time of year

OP, read today's Irish Times about the man who is in court for allegedly threatening a neighbour who objected to him cutting a hedge!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Paulownia wrote: »
    OP, read today's Irish Times about the man who is in court for allegedly threatening a neighbour who objected to him cutting a hedge!

Bit extreme isnt it from both sides that is

Miall108 wrote: »
    Bit extreme isnt it from both sides that is

The things people do to each other.
    We had a neighbour once who tried to establish a right of way through our garden

Advertisement