Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime museum

Options
  • 28-10-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Something a bit different to the usual whinging about water, pitch-fork mobs and abusing certain people who may have a political leaning: In this weeks munster, I note eddie mulligan talking up a national maritime museum on north quays. great idea and fits in perfectly with a dock with history like Waterford.
    Having the decommisioned LE Aoife there is a great idea, school kids and adults like myself would love to have a nose about a ship like that. The sight of those 3 liners in the docks was absolutely fantastic during summer and getting a good docking facility over on the north side with a pedestrian bridge, an attraction like museum would be a fantastic catalyst.

I remember reading and i think posting about this nearly a year ago as it appeared in the front of the paper just before Xmas 2013. Obviously this is all still aspirational stuff at the moment but hopefully inroads can be made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Waterford's obviously has a rich nautical history, from all the way back to the Vikings to present day.

During the years leading into and even during the famine itself, Waterford was exporting a signifant amount of foodstuffs, particularly pork, to ports all over the UK.

If anyone involved is reading this - why not provide linkages through the historical periods Viking, Medieval, Famine period, the two world wars, modern day.

Eddie's has a background in the navy? I know there is already a National Maritime Museum in Dun Laoghaire, but this shouldn't stop Waterford from making a good go of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Slight problem, we already have a national maritime museum...

http://www.mariner.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

We also have a National Art Museum, but there are other art museums in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

brilliant idea the centre piece could be the Portlairge get her back from Bannow bay do her up conduct tours that really would be fantastic

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 14 minmin

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Slight problem, we already have a national maritime museum...
    Just chatting - nothing official, but I have heard some there saying that
    the word "National" gives the impression that they are government funded
    and, other than the cost of renovating the old church a few years ago,
    they don't get a dime - well, so I have been told.
    So they might just drop the title "National"
    But then the question arises: if Dún Laoghaire has a good reason to drop it
    Why pick it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 minmin

shinzon wrote: »
    brilliant idea the centre piece could be the Portlairge get her back from Bannow bay do her up conduct tours that really would be fantastic
    Shin
    The Portlairge, the Waterford Harbour Dredger, but she was built in Dublin.
    and remembering the contempt of the government to Naomh Eanna, also Dublin built
    you are unlikely to get much support from them
    It is a few years since I saw her, it is near Foulksmills, she looked rather sad
    But that engine! It seemed to be complete and intact. A bit of elbow grease
    from enthusiastic students from a tech and you would have a beautiful 1890 steam engine
    Is anyone here near the area? What condition is she in now?
    http:**lugnad.ie/wp-content/uploads/musses/waterford-harbour-dredger-port-lairge.jpg
    (change ** to // for a large photo)

Advertisement