Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Letterkenny FTTH rollout start?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

PeadarB wrote: »
    http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_to_Offer_Gigabit_Broadband_Speeds/ 

What is the liklihood of getting info on this. Seems the work starts next week in Letterkenny.

My 100/20 connection is currently experiencing problems. Had the tech out who checked all connections. The problem remains and am awaiting a new modem though I suspect a line problem as the stats have remained poor. 
    Hi PeadarB, 

Would you like to PM me your details and i'll look into this for you.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Tracey,

PM sent. Thank you.

Tracey,

PM sent. Thank you.
    Thanks PeadarB. I'll come back to you soon through PM's.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Tracey,

Many thanks for your help with this. Problem now solved and connection firing on all cylinders.

Regards,

Peter :)

Tracey,

Many thanks for your help with this. Problem now solved and connection firing on all cylinders.

Regards,

Peter :)
    Ok no problem at all Peter, glad to hear this :-)

Thanks

Tracey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

letterkenny cavan and kilkenny ftth rollout is due to start in January but that is likely the first phase which will mean cab upgrades from fttc to ftth rather than actual orders being taken. it will likely take a few months before actual orders will be taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

letterkenny cavan and kilkenny ftth rollout is due to start in January but that is likely the first phase which will mean cab upgrades from fttc to ftth rather than actual orders being taken. it will likely take a few months before actual orders will be taken
    Thanks Bog Standard User

There is still yet to be an agreed official launch date for when FTTH will become available to customers yet but as soon as we do know there be prior notification,

Thanks
    Al

Any update on FTTH for Letterkenny?

A recent interview with Geoff Shakespeare, on the technical side with Silicon Republic, indicated that an upgrade to 10 G.PON at the cabinet, using those 20 dark fibres originally installed with the 4 live fibres, coupled with a variant, G.FAST with relevant electronics, could be utilised from the current final "pole" distribution point. This would effectively bring the fibre to within 30 to 40 meters of the usual 8 homes connected to the pole, giving up to 750 down 250 up, ie a true gigabit connection.

Is this plan on target for Letterkenny? Exciting times ahead on all fronts but I hope eircom don't drag their feet on it giving the jump to the opposition. The efibre rollout has been nothing short of spectacular and given that each cab has been future proofed will we see this future proofing in action any time soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

A recent interview with Geoff Shakespeare, on the technical side with Silicon Republic, indicated that an upgrade to 10 G.PON at the cabinet, using those 20 dark fibres originally installed with the 4 live fibres, coupled with a variant, G.FAST with relevant electronics, could be utilised from the current final "pole" distribution point. This would effectively bring the fibre to within 30 to 40 meters of the usual 8 homes connected to the pole, giving up to 750 down 250 up, ie a true gigabit connection.

Is this plan on target for Letterkenny? Exciting times ahead on all fronts but I hope eircom don't drag their feet on it giving the jump to the opposition. The efibre rollout has been nothing short of spectacular and given that each cab has been future proofed will we see this future proofing in action any time soon?
    Hi PeadarB
    We do not have specific information on this roll out as yet. I have requested this and we will post as soon as any information available.
    Tony

Hi PeadarB
    We do not have specific information on this roll out as yet. I have requested this and we will post as soon as any information available.
    Tony
    Hi Folks,
    Two months down the "line" and I'm wondering if there is any progress on this FTTH for Letterkenny. Is it possible to lodge an expression of interest even.

Regatds,

PeadarB

• Advertisement

Hi PeadarB
    Tony
    Hi Folks,
    Two months down the "line" and I'm wondering if there is any progress on this FTTH for Letterkenny. Is it possible to lodge an expression of interest even.

Regatds,

PeadarB

Hi PeadarB

The letterkenny exchange has had an exchange based cabinet launched where some lines located within 2Km from it can avail of speeds of up to 100Mb. That is not FTTH although I can confirm FTTH is planned (which will eventually offer 1000Mb) however we still have no further details on the development of FTTH. Indications suggest we should have more information towards autumn 2015.

The following map will clarify: (click on the NGA fibre broadband network version) http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Thanks
    Al

Hi PeadarB
    Tony
    Hi Folks,

Regatds,

PeadarB

Hi PeadarB

The letterkenny exchange has had an exchange based cabinet launched where some lines located within 2Km from it can avail of speeds of up to 100Mb. That is not FTTH although I can confirm FTTH is planned (which will eventually offer 1000Mb) however we still have no further details on the development of FTTH. Indications suggest we should have more information towards autumn 2015.

The following map will clarify: (click on the NGA fibre broadband network version) http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan,
    Looks as if the work has started on the  FTTH civils with some of the estates up the road from me having had the fibre run through the eircom sub-duct already. We've had e-fibre since May 2013 and await the new FTTH with bated breath. Only hope that the indicitive wholesale pricing for the FTTH "POTS" connection from existing poles via G.FAST comes to pass, otherwise the older estates with no eircom sub-ducting will be stuck with current e-fibre speeds, as excellent as they are. Rumour has it that POTS based drops will not be used and if this is the case we will have a multitude of disappointed users who won't be able to connect to FTTH with the enhanced speeds of up to 1Gb.
    Regards,
    Peadar

Hi PeadarB
    Tony
    Hi Folks,

Regatds,

PeadarB

Hi PeadarB

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan,
    Looks as if the work has started on the  FTTH civils with some of the estates up the road from me having had the fibre run through the eircom sub-duct already. We've had e-fibre since May 2013 and await the new FTTH with bated breath. Only hope that the indicitive wholesale pricing for the FTTH "POTS" connection from existing poles via G.FAST comes to pass, otherwise the older estates with no eircom sub-ducting will be stuck with current e-fibre speeds, as excellent as they are. Rumour has it that POTS based drops will not be used and if this is the case we will have a multitude of disappointed users who won't be able to connect to FTTH with the enhanced speeds of up to 1Gb.
    Regards,
    Peadar

No worries Peadar - happy to help where I can,

Unfortunately I can't offer such detailed infrastructural spec but feel free to get back to me in future if you feel I can help

Cheers
    Al

Hi Folks,
    I would be very grateful if it could be determined if Eircom plan to use the existing pole drops to serve as DPs for aerial distribution of fibre to the home in urban areas. The newer estates have underground ducting but some of the older estates like mine have e-fibre delivered via the old POTS system, from the pole to the end gable of the house.
    The FTTH rollout is certainly taking off in Letterkenny now. MCS crews were pulling microduct past my cab, LKY1_005 yesterday right past my house, and at the rate they are working it won't be too long before eircom are taking orders for the new FTTH products in Letterkenny.
    Regards,
    Peter

Hi Folks,
    I would be very grateful if it could be determined if Eircom plan to use the existing pole drops to serve as DPs for aerial distribution of fibre to the home in urban areas. The newer estates have underground ducting but some of the older estates like mine have e-fibre delivered via the old POTS system, from the pole to the end gable of the house.
    The FTTH rollout is certainly taking off in Letterkenny now. MCS crews were pulling microduct past my cab, LKY1_005 yesterday right past my house, and at the rate they are working it won't be too long before eircom are taking orders for the new FTTH products in Letterkenny.
    Regards,
    Peter
    Hi PeadarB

Unfortunately we will be unable to access or offer information of network developments in such detail. At this stage we can assist with queries in relations to FTTC however it is expected that I may be able to assist with FTTH queries towards early next year.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Folks, Is there any update on FTTH rollout in Letterkenny?  It looks as if the bulk of the sub-ducting work is done in the town. I sincerely hope we don't have to wait 'till the new year to hear of this expected rollout.

Hi Folks, Is there any update on FTTH rollout in Letterkenny?  It looks as if the bulk of the sub-ducting work is done in the town. I sincerely hope we don't have to wait 'till the new year to hear of this expected rollout.
    Hi PeadarB

There is no FTTH programme planned for Letterkenny I'm sorry to confirm. If you visit this map: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ - click on the map "NGA fibre broadband network" and on the right hand side click on "fibre service planned" you will see that Letterkenny is not planned on the current roll out of FTTH which is due to begin in 2016 and targeted to complete in 2020. The nearest location it's planned in Manorcunningham.

I'm sorry I cannot offer you better news

Al

Hi Alan, I suspect we are at cross purposes here. I've been connected to eircom e-fibre here in Letterkenny since May 2013 with initial speed of 100/20 (now down to 85/15).

Eircom announced on 28th October 2014 that the build to provide "Fibre to the Home" with speeds of 1,000Mb, "... will commence next month (i.e. November 2014) on the first three locations - Cavan Town, Kilkenny City and Letterkenny Town. The construction phase for each location is expected to take approximately six months". http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/eircom_Wholesale_to_Offer_Gigabit_Broadband_Speeds/ - see para 3.

The map you refer to relates solely to the provisioning of e-fibre and eVDSL, as far as I can determine, and does not relate to Fibre to the Home in any way.

My query relates only to "Fibre to the Home" and the likely provisioning dates of same in Letterkenny. As I said in previous posts the ducts have been cleared and initial sub-duct has been run out to a lot of areas in Letterkenny. This is the pre-cursor to the "blowing" of fibre through these sub-ducts on to homes and businesses in the relevant areas. All I'm trying to determine is a likely rollout date and when customers might order this product.

If it's the case that eircom are not in a position to provide the info thats fine. It is somewhat disingenuous though to announce the potential availability of this product and not have a time frame or relevant info available for customers. 

Peter

Hi Folks,
    I saw the FTTH expression of interest link in another post by Al and it now seems that the service will kick off after September in the first locations, including Letterkenny.
    Do you have any idea when might we see the retail price listing for this? The wholesale prices have been up since 27th February at http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/FTTH_Pricing/
    Thanks,
    Peter

Hi Folks,
    I saw the FTTH expression of interest link in another post by Al and it now seems that the service will kick off after September in the first locations, including Letterkenny.
    Do you have any idea when might we see the retail price listing for this? The wholesale prices have been up since 27th February at http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/FTTH_Pricing/
    Thanks,
    Peter
    Hi PeadarB

Retail pricing for FTTH has not been released yet and unfortunately I don't have a specific date for when it will be. It should a couple of weeks in advance of release and I'll make sure to come back and update the threads where this has been queried.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,

Thanks,
    Peter
    Hi PeadarB

Retail pricing for FTTH has not been released yet and unfortunately I don't have a specific date for when it will be. It should a couple of weeks in advance of release and I'll make sure to come back and update the threads where this has been queried.

Cheers
    Al
    Folks,

Has this gone live in Letterkenny? https://www.eircom.net/ultrafast/
    It certainly looks as if my fears were well founded in that the product will not be provisioned via pole drops in Letterkenny anytime soon, despite the fact that I'm only 15 or 20 meters from the nearest fibre manhole. Maybe I should move to Belcarra!! €67 to €87 per month?

I would certainly prefer to pay eircom €97 a month for FTTH and phone rather than move to the opposition.

Sadly looks as it I won't have any other option now.

Hi Folks,

Thanks,
    Peter
    Hi PeadarB

Cheers
    Al
    Folks,

Has this gone live in Letterkenny?   https://www.eircom.net/ultrafast/
    It certainly looks as if my fears were well founded in that the product will not be provisioned via pole drops in Letterkenny anytime soon, despite the fact that I'm only 15 or 20 meters from the nearest fibre manhole.  Maybe I should move to Belcarra!!   €67 to €87 per month?

I would certainly prefer to pay eircom €97 a month for FTTH and phone rather than move to the opposition.

Sadly looks as it I won't have any other option now.
    Hi PeadarB

I will be unable to offer you further indication of FTTH availability beyond advising you to enter your number in the "Check availability" box found in the link you provided above.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Folks,
    Regards,
    Peter
    C'm eir Alan, now that Open eir have announced that FTTH will be rolled out to upwards of 24,000 premises in the designated towns, including my own Letterkenny, can it now be determined if eir will serve those premises, like mine, which are currently served by pole DP's like Belcarra in Mayo.
    I first raised this very valid point, as above, quite some time ago. My frustration is mounting by the day when I see the roll out move to the point where eir techs are now splicing fibre across the road from me, and I know I can't get the service from eir.

14 months down the line (pardon the pun) and still no information relating to FTTH to my home at Ashbrook in Letterkenny which will have to be serviced via a pole drop necessitating aerial FTTH.

Another 3 months since my last post here waiting to see if Eir are prepared to service my home with FTTH!!! Siro are now breathing down your necks in Letterkenny and if my own observations are anything to go by they will beat you to my house.

I would prefer to have eir serve me but won't hesitate to move if they get here first.

What is the problem with FTTH ducted to the pole and aerially fed from there. It's not rocket science anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

14 months down the line (pardon the pun) and still no information relating to FTTH to my home at Ashbrook in Letterkenny which will have to be serviced via a pole drop necessitating aerial FTTH.

Another 3 months since my last post here waiting to see if Eir are prepared to service my home with FTTH!!! Siro are now breathing down your necks in Letterkenny and if my own observations are anything to go by they will beat you to my house.

I would prefer to have eir serve me but won't hesitate to move if they get here first.

What is the problem with FTTH ducted to the pole and aerially fed from there. It's not rocket science anymore.
    Hi PeaderB

5200 premises in Letterkenny can avail of FTTH and if your premises cannot avail of it I'm sorry to say that we will be unable to do anything about that. Ultimately we will be unable to offer you the infrastructural reasoning to respond in the level of detail you require as such eir networks specifics are not available for disclosure here or any other department. I'm sorry I can't help you further with this Peader.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Do open eir have any kind of platform for consumers asking questions about rollout plans?

I'm in the centre of the town and my number isn't ultra-capable yet. Would love to know a timeframe beyond "before 2017".

//ollog wrote: »
    Do open eir have any kind of platform for consumers asking questions about rollout plans?

I'm in the centre of the town and my number isn't ultra-capable yet. Would love to know a timeframe beyond "before 2017".
    Al's reply sets the scene for Letterkenny. I wonder how many of the 5,200 have actually connected to the new FTTH service. I am aware that some local techs were trained in the installation for my type scenario, and indeed was informed that some premises were even connected under it. Ordinary joe soaps like myself can go whistle for it. The new FTTH run is less than 25 meters from the main eir connection box at the entry to the Centra supermarket across the road from me. Its ducted to the pole for PSTN/ e-fibre so I for one can't understand their problem.

Siro have almost completed their survey and I think may have even commenced fibre rollout at the Elms up the road. They have sought and been granted permission to come into the estate and do whatever they need to install their fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

//ollog wrote: »

HI /\/ollog

Unfortunately eir do not have a platform for consumers arsing question about fibre roll-out plans beyond what is presented here on the coverage maps: http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Al

Advertisement