Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shopping Centre

Options
  • 28-10-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Anyone hear about this, couldn't find a link? Sounds great if it goes through. Any objectors should be evicted from the county.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Anyone hear about this, couldn't find a link? Sounds great if it goes through. Any objectors should be evicted from the county.

Has a location been mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Brendão wrote: »
    Has a location been mentioned?

Up by Michael Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Not heard anything. If it's true and Michael St. is the location then it's likely just the Newgate st. project again?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

you are correct old Gregg. there is a piece about it in this weeks news and star, and it's a different spin on the newgate st. project.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Had a quick look at the News & Star today the outline of the project looks great! The centre of the site is a glass covered square with a new covered street leading down to the Apple Market which also is to be roofed with glass.This will be the turn around the city centre needs!

• Advertisement

Shane07 wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the News & Star today the outline of the project looks great! The centre of the site is a glass covered square with a new covered street leading down to the Apple Market which also is to be roofed with glass.This will be the turn around the city centre needs!

Hopefully cinema plans will go through as well. The whole area would look completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Is there an anchor tenant agreed I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I suppose it would be fanciful to wish that everybody would get behind it for the greater benefit of the city and avoid it having to go through An Bord Pleanála. Instead of the crap that held it up the last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Maybe, the fact that the previous plan was turned down means we'll actually get something better this time round. Personally I was against the previous plan purely because to me it stank of developer greed. Just a personal opinion and one I aint going to change. I look at the Railway Square/ Miller's Marsh complex and the vast majority of that joke has never once been opened. I reckon the previous incarnation of the the Michael St. plan would currently be in a slightly similar state.

But if this looks and feels good to us locals and we can get a sweet anchor then I'd have no objections and look forward to it. In my perfect world it would be like Camden Markets in London (but that's another dream) :cool:

As an aside, if it does take in the current New Street Gardens project then I'd love if council and local business organise, support financially and in spirit an alternative place in our city for creative folks to also contribute and enhance our city like they have in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Shane07 wrote: »

Mary Roche might finally be getting her wish of roofing the town!

EDIT:

Link for anybody who doesn't remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

BBM77 wrote: »
    I suppose it would be fanciful to wish that everybody would get behind it for the greater benefit of the city and avoid it having to go through An Bord Pleanála. Instead of the crap that held it up the last time around.

At least that fella from the Army & Survival shop has gone and those houses next to the multistory car-park are no longer an issue. What about that fella from the Green party that always protested anything being built, has he buggered off out of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Anyone got a link to the plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Screen shot taking from waterford in your pocket about the development in the news and star.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Anyone got a link to the plans?

Yes I know the brother of the postman who delivers the mail to the architects office.

My butler is getting my coat.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Mary Roche might finally be getting her wish of roofing the town!

EDIT:

Link for anybody who doesn't remember that.

I can't help but agree with her. The town would really benefit from a large covered public space. Imagine, for example, screening It's a Wonderful Life, under an atrium during Winterval, a weekly year round weatherproof farmer's market or facilitating a million other outdoor events that never happen because of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I can't help but agree with her. The town would really benefit from a large covered public space. Imagine, for example, screening It's a Wonderful Life, under an atrium during Winterval, a weekly year round weatherproof farmer's market or facilitating a million other outdoor events that never happen because of the weather.

what Waterford needs is large scale retail to entice international brands to the city centre. waterford needs this shopping centre - fast - it would be a game changer for Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

jennygirl wrote: »
    what Waterford needs is large scale retail to entice international brands to the city centre. waterford needs this shopping centre - fast - it would be a game changer for Waterford

Which would result in more smaller shops closing down in the town center, bigger is not always better as Killkenny has proven. There should be more incentive for people to open smaller shops in the town center, people walking on the streets breathe's life into a city, not people driving in and out of shopping center car parks.
    The city council should realise there is more to our city then the viking triangle and Waterford crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Which would result in more smaller shops closing down in the town center, bigger is not always better as Killkenny has proven. There should be more incentive for people to open smaller shops in the town center, people walking on the streets breathe's life into a city, not people driving in and out of shopping center car parks.
    The city council should realise there is more to our city then the viking triangle and Waterford crystal.

Dont buy that arguement when all retail experts say you need a mix of big and small retailers. People come to shop at the big retailers, brown thomas, Zara, H&M and on the lower end Dunnes, Penneys etc. The increase in footfall will help small retailers also. incentives for small shops no one would argue with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The quality of buildings in the centre of the town is p1ss poor, a huge amount of them are small pokey and uncared for , for generations, totally unsuitable for the modern retail experience.
    There are a lot of landlords who took took took and did not reinvest for eon's, it is true to say if this centre is built a lot of them will be left empty, big deal, someone will buy them and make them of merchantable quality and they will be back in business.
    I realise this proposal is only a sketch scheme to draw in potential investors but it is a good start, as it draws in a lot of areas that are outside the main drag at the moment.
    it is also a counterweight to the Viking Trangle where a lot of good long term investment has gone on in recent years, and the promised follow through by the City and County manager that it would happen.
    Bring it on I say and we will all be the better for it.
    But we probably have to suffer another interminable thread about the building works in town "it was Chaos Billy".......

Its been all small shops for years, it isn't working. Its had its chance thanks to ridiculous objections and has resulted in said small shops closing down.

People buy online rather than walk around town because the small shops don't have what they want. If a big shopping centre came here there would be more people walking around and making impulse purchases. It would become an actual day or half day shopping rather than running in and buying one or two specific things.

• Advertisement

i do agree - but there is incentives for shops to open in the city centre - all part of the economic incentives of WCC. there need to be more people living in the city centre - as in galway - over every shop is accomodation

Its been all small shops for years, it isn't working. Its had its chance thanks to ridiculous objections and has resulted in said small shops closing down.

People buy online rather than walk around town because the small shops don't have what they want. If a big shopping centre came here there would be more people walking around and making impulse purchases. It would become an actual day or half day shopping rather than running in and buying one or two specific things.

i agree - and with a major car park as part of the development i think we are on to a winner - Build it as fast as possible - ANY THEY WILL COME

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The quality of buildings in the centre of the town is p1ss poor, a huge amount of them are small pokey and uncared for , for generations, totally unsuitable for the modern retail experience.
    There are a lot of landlords who took took took and did not reinvest for eon's, it is true to say if this centre is built a lot of them will be left empty, big deal, someone will buy them and make them of merchantable quality and they will be back in business.
    I realise this proposal is only a sketch scheme to draw in potential investors but it is a good start, as it draws in a lot of areas that are outside the main drag at the moment.
    it is also a counterweight to the Viking Trangle where a lot of good long term investment has gone on in recent years, and the promised follow through by the City and County manager that it would happen.
    Bring it on I say and we will all be the better for it.
    But we probably have to suffer another interminable thread about the building works in town "it was Chaos Billy".......

i think we are past the "Billy" stage with this - build it and bring economic development to the city centre - the bigger picture is all City centre streets will get a face lift to equal the VT

...The city council should realise there is more to our city then the viking triangle and Waterford crystal.

Sure it’s the city council that is pushing this :confused:

Small shops could not afford the marketing or have the wide spread pull that the big names have. This is the reason that small shops need to feed of the footfall that the big names generate. The city centre needs the fashionable big names in order to achieve a business environment that the smaller shops need in order to survive. The city council, business groups etc are not all in favour of this to do damage, they are in favour because it has been shown all over the world to work. Just ask the owner of Fitzgerald’s menswear. He was dead against City Square being built because he thought it would ruin his business. He later had to admit that his business increased after it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

jennygirl wrote: »
    i do agree - but there is incentives for shops to open in the city centre - all part of the economic incentives of WCC. there need to be more people living in the city centre - as in galway - over every shop is accomodation

I've often been baffled by seeing windows open with pigeons flying in and out in what would be very decent locations for city centre apartments. I assume it's just owners playing the long game in the hope of getting bought out but it is still sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've often been baffled by seeing windows open with pigeons flying in and out in what would be very decent locations for city centre apartments. I assume it's just owners playing the long game in the hope of getting bought out but it is still sad to see.

That's why we need to replace the value based property tax with a site value tax.

It would have a huge effect on the sort of pigeon lofts in the city centre that you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Something like that has been done before:

Dome.jpg

Simpsons-movie-dome-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

It's nice that waterford is getting it's own ferrybank centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

ec18 wrote: »
    It's nice that waterford is getting it's own ferrybank centre

Hardly, it is less than half the size and will have tenants on opening

Advertisement