Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shopping Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

All really valid points put forward. I just feel the size of Waterford does not justify another large retail development. There may well be a knock on effect turning city square into a white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

All really valid points put forward. I just feel the size of Waterford does not justify another large retail development. There may well be a knock on effect turning city square into a white elephant.

all the retail reports say that there is space for it, waterford is underperforming and has space. We have heard from retailers saying they cant get the right space too. On saying that, of course City sqaure will suffer a little with competition for big clients. They should get moving on that planning permission to redevlop brasserie site now that they have been sitting on for years.
    Soemthing to remmeber is PP hasnt even been submitted, there will be objections from McCannt and others and the whole finance thing with the council, nama and private people on board, its not the most straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Definitely needed - there simply are not proper retail units available in a busy part of the city.

The problem with some streets is whilst there are vacant units, there are too many owners for there to be a single strategy to extend the retail area.

Trying to find a unit of about 1200 - 1400 sq ft is impossible. City Square has far too many small units, so a new centre that will cater for local and international retailers and located within the town centre environs is actually needed - I've been looking for over a year for a decent space and have yet to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

How do you actually suggest increasing the attractiveness of Waterford for young people who currently choose to commute to Cork and Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭space2ground1

The street roof idea is fantastic. In itself it'd create that interest that would make people curious and visit. Throw in some heavy retail hitters, plenty of tiny little local coffee shops and the footfall would see the more organic smaller retailers thrive.

The plan is already done and dusted for something similar in Aberdeen. I'm not sure if they've managed to build it yet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-25917689

_72551443_aberdeenroofhalliday.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I think it is great. I believe there are shops ready to take units in a modern shopping environment... the likes of New Look/ H+M / Vila/ maybe another city based Next/ some eateries/ bershka/ zara... just thinking aloud but the majority of those stores are in mahon/dungarvan/clonmel and kk so they may consider this new development

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Did H+M not pull out of where it was going in the first place. Dont think there comming to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

They probably pulled out because of those development. Imagine locating in city square and then this massive place opens up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

a new shopping centre will fail if the council continue to charge excessive fees for parking in the city. All you have to do is visit other towns with shopping centres to see that some offer reduced parking, €1/hr or even free parking for shoppers.

p.s. I am all for any boost to the city and if there is room for a new shopping centre then that would be great. (Council rates are also running business out of the city as well)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

a new shopping centre will fail if the council continue to charge excessive fees for parking in the city. All you have to do is visit other towns with shopping centres to see that some offer reduced parking, €1/hr or even free parking for shoppers.

p.s. I am all for any boost to the city and if there is room for a new shopping centre then that would be great. (Council rates are also running business out of the city as well)

Done to death. Parking prices in the city center are not by the council but by private businesses. Very competitive pricing around, City Council also have very good pricing in places.

• Advertisement

Yeah i remember somethibg about H + m goin inyo where the brasserie restaurant was. Haven't heaed anything since about it. Maybe too much work in it and would prefer this type of complex.

regarding the parking, it is pricey bur with the gasworks decelopment hopefully it can make it competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

The council car parks are currently €1 per hour!

The problem with car park prices is with privately owned car parks.

As for the shopping centre it is badly needed, if this went ahead I would then love to see city square redeveloped and just have 3 or 4 large shops in there, which would prevent it becoming a white elephant, have no small units.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

Has the cost of parking in inner city council car parks changed ? Up to yesterday it costs 1euro 80 cent per hour to park in the council carpark behind the book centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Has the cost of parking in inner city council car parks changed ? Up to yesterday it costs 1euro 80 cent per hour to park in the council carpark behind the book centre.

Bolton Street is €1 an hour and possibly millers marsh, all the rest are €1.80

How do people still complain about parking when the price is now down to either free in Tesco or a euro in Bolton Street?

Vote with your wallet and dont park where it costs 1.80.

They only charge it cause people pay it.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea needs to understand that this isnt the 90s anymore and 20ft by 20ft shops just dont cut it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

How do people still complain about parking when the price is now down to either free in Tesco or a euro in Bolton Street?

Vote with your wallet and dont park where it costs 1.80.

They only charge it cause people pay it.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea needs to understand that this isnt the 90s anymore and 20ft by 20ft shops just dont cut it anymore.

unless its free, they wont be happy. I say that half joking and half serious because i see Cork City are introducing free parking for Xmas (i think)

Max Powers wrote: »
    unless its free, they wont be happy. I say that half joking and half serious because i see Cork City are introducing free parking for Xmas (i think)

Limerick are introducing free parking after 3pm from Nov 24

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Limerick are introducing free parking after 3pm from Nov 24

Does Waterford not do this? I can't remember

Absolutely not.

Absolutely not.

What promotion did they usually run during Christmas?

• Advertisement

Absolutely not.

Ah they did on fridays

They broke their hearts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think it was free after 5pm on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sully wrote: »
    Does Waterford not do this? I can't remember
    Absolutely not.

Although I can't remember the details, there was definitely some sort of initiative last year around free parking.

Friday is definitely at the back of my mind too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

fricatus wrote: »
    Although I can't remember the details, there was definitely some sort of initiative last year around free parking.

Friday is definitely at the back of my mind too...

It was free parking after 3pm on Fridays. Lasted for a few months too. Thought it was great myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

It was free parking until. December 1st on Friday nights ,as soon as winterval. Started price went back up .Was talking to ex local councilor when he was canvassing for local elections, I suggested to him we follow corks example and give free parking week day mornings to get people into town, he thought this idea would never work, but it works for cork city footfall has increased by 50% since they brought in this parking initiave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Wasn't it free up until 12 pm every day or something too? I always park in bolton st and walk up or get he bus over. Though, I'd couldn't buy anything bulky and get it back there with a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Parking is free on sundays and bank holidays but only because the council wont pay overtime to the traffic wardens.

It was free parking until. December 1st on Friday nights ,as soon as winterval. Started price went back up .Was talking to ex local councilor when he was canvassing for local elections, I suggested to him we follow corks example and give free parking week day mornings to get people into town, he thought this idea would never work, but it works for cork city footfall has increased by 50% since they brought in this parking initiave.

See thats your point of failure right there.

You tried to have an intelligent logical conversation with a counselor from Waterford.

• Advertisement
Advertisement