Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Help!

Options
  • 28-10-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello. I'm doing my Junior Cert in June and I am looking for any advice on when to start studying and what topics to do in particular subjects and how long to spend on them. I do:CSPE Tech Graph Business French Irish English Geography History Science and Maths (All Higher Level except CSPE obviously) I normally get Bs and Cs with the odd A in all subjects but if I had to choose,Science Maths and French are my weakest subjects. I hope you can help thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Listen properly in class.
    • Do all your homework as if it was an exam question.
    • Ask questions if you don't understand anything.
    • Always catch up on stuff if you are out sick.
    • Make sure your project work is as good as you can - your own work, not copied from others in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

The person above is right! If you are told there will be a test in class you should be aiming for an A. As for the specidic subjects french- exam paper comprehentions, if you dont understand a word underline it and learn it! The same vocab comes up year after year. Know your tenses and learn your letter phrases. Maths will come together once you get the ciriculum done again and even moreso for maths exam papers and more exam papers! For science make a huge effort with your project- percentages and stats proper experiments, write up ALL your experiments into your lab book and you have to study for the written exam no way of getting past it in scinece you just have to learn the material.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭billy100

Take good heed of the passed papers , they are a great study tool, if you can understand what's asked and how to answer them, your a long way there

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Hi! Ive wrote a big long answer packed with study tips on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92869812#post92869812 in reply no.7 so have a look if you like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Anomynous1999

Thank you all for your answer :) And IrishLassie26,Ive been thinkin that for wordy subjects like history geography and science that i will start taking my own notes now and having 1st year and some 2nd year done by around mock time and after the mocks to try and get 2nd and 3rd year notes taken by April and Easter holidays onwards i can just revise these notes,Is this the right way to do it or if not could u give me some advice thanks :) And well done on your JC aswell 11 As is unheard of where i live!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends very much on your style of learning as to whether writing notes will be more helpful to you, than, say, making mind maps, or more visual aids.

Good for you putting in so much work now, but don't let it get to a stage where it's too much for you. The JC is designed for people to do well on, but the big benefit you will see is when you come to LC. If you (for example) already clearly understand the different types of formations in physical geography from your JC study, it's a lot less work to learn the basics and additional info for LC.

What you're doing now is the foundation for your Leaving. There will be people who tell you the JC means nothing etc., but plough your own furrow and make sure yours is the best you can do, so you don't become one of the 'oh it's only the JC, I don't care' brigade.

Thank you all for your answer :) And IrishLassie26,Ive been thinkin that for wordy subjects like history geography and science that i will start taking my own notes now and having 1st year and some 2nd year done by around mock time and after the mocks to try and get 2nd and 3rd year notes taken by April and Easter holidays onwards i can just revise these notes,Is this the right way to do it or if not could u give me some advice thanks :) And well done on your JC aswell 11 As is unheard of where i live!!

Ya thats what I started doing at the beginning of the year but after the mocks you would really want to start focusing in on things! You would want to be learning the notes off and answering exam paper questions. Another helpful thing is to pick your questions for the exam e.g. in history know what questions you are going to pick in Q6 and focus on learning what could come up there.

As Spurious says notes might not work for everyone, its only what worked for me. If you think you're better off with mind maps or something else go for it, but from my experience key words, points and focusing in on specific areas is the way to go. :D

Thank you, If you work for it and go about things the right way you could surprise them all with good results! Also, as spurious said "Don`t claim its only the junior cert" it really does set you up for leaving cert as you will know your best method of learning and how to handle it. Give the junior cert your all (but don`t overwork yourself either) and then at least you will know you get the best result you could :cool:

Thanks for yer advice :) I really appreciate it :) If I have anymore questions in a couple months or so i will private message yee :) Once again thanks ;)

Hi again,Just wondering would anyone have any tips for studying French and Maths once again?

For maths, study the exam papers inside out! If you don`t know how to solve a question either ask your teacher or buy the solutions online. Make sure you take notice of each step taken to get the answer as sometimes if you leave out a step you lose marks.

For french, exam papers are very useful for practice. Learn all vocabulary you are given, keep translating exam papers and paragraphs words in your french book. Make sure you understand your grammar and your tenses. Also for the paragraphs try and be prepared to answer the majority of questions in the exam papers then you should have a good bit covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Just to add to what IrishLassie said about French: practise your French listening like crazy! It's worth about 43% of your exam (I think- its somewhere along that figure anyway!). If your teacher isnt doing many listening comprehensions with the class, do them at home yourself and use the marking schemes to correct your answers. Make a note of and learn any words that came up in the listening that you didn't know.

Hi again,I studied hard for my Christmas tests 2 weeks ago and I got 2 A's,4 B's,3 C's and a D.. I was delighted with this and I know I should judge progress on the mocks but ,until then, Should I focus more on the subjects I did poorly in for the mocks?? And by the way my study is going grand at the moment.. It's well on schedule :)

Hi again,I studied hard for my Christmas tests 2 weeks ago and I got 2 A's,4 B's,3 C's and a D.. I was delighted with this and I know I should judge progress on the mocks but ,until then, Should I focus more on the subjects I did poorly in for the mocks?? And by the way my study is going grand at the moment.. It's well on schedule :)
    No don't just focus on your worst subjects as then subjects you are good at be neglected. Work harder on your worst subjects but continue studying as per usual on your good subjects. Some of my friends got As in subjects for the mocks, thought they were sorted and didn't do anything else and then dropped to Bs in the JC!

Hi,I know it's a bit late but I got my Mocks back :) I got 6 B's 3 C's and a D :) I was happy with this and I'm aiming for 3 A's 5 B's and 2 C's in the JC :) Any tips for the rest of the year?

Hi,I know it's a bit late but I got my Mocks back :) I got 6 B's 3 C's and a D :) I was happy with this and I'm aiming for 3 A's 5 B's and 2 C's in the JC :) Any tips for the rest of the year?

Make sure you know where you lost your marks.
    Keep calm.
    Don't miss any days between now and the exams and do every bit of homework to the best standard you can.

Advertisement