Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreadable Word document

Options
  • 28-10-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

I have plans done for work that I need to open and edit.

It won't let me open the file - it says "your internet security settings prevented one or more of the files to be opened" and I can't attach it to an email as it says it is corrupted or unreadable.

Running an AVG scan now.

Any other ideas? Once is enough to type the bloody thing :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Did the file originate from your computer or was it downloaded ? What format is it saved in?(This can be found by clicking "properties" and seeing "Type of File" or just be reading the 3 or 4 letters at the end of the file when saving(eg:assignment.docx)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks for the reply.

It seems the effort is futile now - I plugged the USB into another laptop but the file wasn't there. I plugged it back into my own laptop and file has now disappeared from the folder, so I guess I have to start again.

It wasn't downloaded, it was a .doc file that I had typed and saved.

Fun night ahead redoing it :-(

If you're using Word it should have kept a recent copy.There are a number of methods available,I'd suggest trying one before re-typing.

Recovery methods:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

If that fails,try using Recuva to scan your USB.It can recover deleted or lost documents(not always successful but worth a try)

Recuva: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Good luck!

Thank you, will try those two things now.

Is there an effective scan I can do on my external hard drive as I think the problem may be with that?

I only have AVG and it didn't pick anything up.

• Advertisement

Is it a scan for viruses or faults with the disk ?

Recoil12 wrote: »
    Is it a scan for viruses or faults with the disk ?

I'm not sure.

Tried to check for errors by rightclicking but it stalled for ages. I've downloaded malwarebytes now to check.

A full scan on Malwarebytes and try Acronis Drive Monitor for a quick overview of hardware health.

Acronis:http://www.acronis.com/en-eu/personal/hard-drive-health/

Thanks, malwarebytes scan still in operation!

Advertisement